Site Sponsors

Thread: Camera Calibration g

Post Thanks / Like

Camera Calibration g

Does anybody know of any solutions for camera calibration that uses proper ICC profiles. Th Coloreyes solution is no longer for sale, and the products from X-rite produce DNG profiles that only work with Adobe products. I need./would like something that will produce ICC profiles I can use with Leaf Capture and Capture 1 Pro.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Jason Berge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Camera Calibration g

Quote Originally Posted by photo570 View Post
    Does anybody know of any solutions for camera calibration that uses proper ICC profiles. Th Coloreyes solution is no longer for sale, and the products from X-rite produce DNG profiles that only work with Adobe products. I need./would like something that will produce ICC profiles I can use with Leaf Capture and Capture 1 Pro.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Jason Berge.
    Jason are you looking for anything specific in terms of colour? Improving accuracy of certain tones? Getting nicer or smoother skin tones etc?

Have you tried using the Color Editor in C1 and saving new ICC profiles?
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Just looking for some consistency. I have three different digital backs and a Canon as well. I suppose they all kind of suck at reds if I had to start listing things. Don't get me wrong the Leaf Backs are great, especially for skin tones, but I shoot a lot of product, and garments and am looking for ways to trim post time in front of the computer where ever possible.

Cheers,
    Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Jason are you looking for anything specific in terms of colour? Improving accuracy of certain tones? Getting nicer or smoother skin tones etc?

Have you tried using the Color Editor in C1 and saving new ICC profiles?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Create styles or presets for each cam and apply on import. Saves a load of time
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photo570 View Post
    Just looking for some consistency. I have three different digital backs and a Canon as well. I suppose they all kind of suck at reds if I had to start listing things. Don't get me wrong the Leaf Backs are great, especially for skin tones, but I shoot a lot of product, and garments and am looking for ways to trim post time in front of the computer where ever possible.

Cheers,
    Jason.
    I think that for this the Color Editor might actually be the right tool as you shoot a target/ chart with both cameras and then adjust them to match eachother and save the outcome as an input profile, which you then, as Guy suggested, apply as you shoot

Otherwise you could still fine used or NOS copied of Gretag's ProfileMaker with a dongle and give that one a go. I'm just warning you that the user interface is not exactly what you would call intuitive....

Hope this helps

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We use Profile Maker using Windows 7 under Parallels (we own a dongle) for the rare occasion an actual profile is warranted.

The vast majority of the time we simply make a few tweaks in Color Editor and save it as a preset or an ICC profile.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree with Doug !
    Although X-Rite will hate to hear it - but sorry the new i1profiler sucks !
    I have never managed to get better profiles with it than the old profilemaker. And - frankly - the excuse the profiles are sooo good you don´t need an editor anymore is shere arrogance. Didn´t they test it ?
    (and this after- how long - 8 years or so of devellopment ?)

Use either a Colortarget DC or SD (under controlled lighting only) and be happy with a bit of editing. Outside of the studio - forget about it.

Bring a grey reference at most, but using a calibrated monitor and doing visual corrections for reaching what you need, is by far more successful than trying to profile a moving target of what you may have had at the time of the shooting. Using the C1 color editor is a conveniant choice of dropping the corrections on a whole series with the same lighting.

my 2 cents after 17 years of colormanagement.

Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de