Site Sponsors

Thread: Rodenstock 50mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rodenstock 50mm

Hi All,
    I'm considering buying the new Rodenstock/ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/50 mm SB34. Wondering if anyone knows:
    1. Is this the same as HR Digaron - W, optimized for larger digital sensors.
    2. Is the lens any good as a shiftable WA lens on the Alpa STC or MAX? (I realize that there is only a 90mm image circle, but that is as large an image circle that will be available on the new Rodenstock/ALPA 40 and 32 with the SB17).
    3. Why does it need a HPF?
    4. I've been told a center filter is not recommended/needed... any thoughts on that?
    Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rodenstock 50mm

Bob,
    I am interested in the same thing. I know a little, but not much:
    1. Yes, it is the same HR-W.
    2. I think it is very good as a shiftable lens. I have the STC. My guess is it will get between 10-15mm.
    3. I don't think it "needs" an HPF, it just says it needs a special one if you want one. That is because the barrel is recessed so it has to be milled down.
    4. I don't know for sure, but I am willing to bet it will be fine without a center filter.

Get it priced; I did and it shocked me. North of $10k with the tilt adapter.

Hope this helps...

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Bob,
    I am interested in the same thing. I know a little, but not much:
    1. Yes, it is the same HR-W.
    2. I think it is very good as a shiftable lens. I have the STC. My guess is it will get between 10-15mm.
    3. I don't think it "needs" an HPF, it just says it needs a special one if you want one. That is because the barrel is recessed so it has to be milled down.
    4. I don't know for sure, but I am willing to bet it will be fine without a center filter.

Get it priced; I did and it shocked me. North of $10k with the tilt adapter.

Hope this helps...

Dave
    Thanks Dave. I have the tilt adapter already. Since you don't, I would recommend you look at the 40mm SB 17 with its tilt adapter... That is the route I would take if I didn't have the 35mm Tilt adapter.

Thanks for your answers: just what I was hoping for. BTW, the 50mm SB35+HPF is about $6,275...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    Thanks Dave. I have the tilt adapter already. Since you don't, I would recommend you look at the 40mm SB 17 with its tilt adapter... That is the route I would take if I didn't have the 35mm Tilt adapter.

Thanks for your answers: just what I was hoping for. BTW, the 50mm SB35+HPF is about $6,275...
    Yeah that is what I am on the fence about. Actually I have the SK 43mm. I like it because of its size, but the new T/S options are pushing me over the edge to one of these two from Rodenstock. I certainly won't carry all three, so I need to decide between:
    1. Sell the 43 and get the 40 + 17 T/S

2. Keep the 43 and get the 50 + 34 T/S. I have the SK 150 SB with the std 34mm adapter. So I could use the 34 T/S on that too.

3. Sell the 43 and get both! How much is a D800e again??

Ciao,

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Yeah that is what I am on the fence about. Actually I have the SK 43mm. I like it because of its size, but the new T/S options are pushing me over the edge to one of these two from Rodenstock. I certainly won't carry all three, so I need to decide between:
    1. Sell the 43 and get the 40 + 17 T/S

2. Keep the 43 and get the 50 + 34 T/S. I have the SK 150 SB with the std 34mm adapter. So I could use the 34 T/S on that too.

3. Sell the 43 and get both! How much is a D800e again??

Ciao,

Dave
    I have rarely used the 34T/S with the 150. I would guess that combo would primarily be for macro use.

If you don't have the 34T/S and just use the 34 extension I would highly recommend biting the bullet and going with the 17T/S plus 40. Future T/S lenses will work with the 17T/S I would guess. Also, if you really need T/S on your 150, you could by the new 17Extension and it would work with the 17T/S.

Just my $0.02,
    Bob