Site Sponsors

Thread: Phase one 645DF Jewelry Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Phase one 645DF Jewelry Photography

Hello everybody! New to the forum here.

Just wanted to share my portfolio of jewelry photography!

I mostly use a p40+ and a 645DF body.

FacetFlash - Home

I hope you enjoy! Feedback is appreciated!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phase one 645DF Jewelry Photography

It's generally poor form to simply drop a link and run off. It's usually interpreted as being done just for SEO reasons.

That said your work is really good. Could you share more with us about why you've selected this equipment, or about your lighting techniques, or software that helps you get your work done, or something (anything?) else to contribute to the community here?

We'd hate to see someone who produces such good quality work simply use this is a billboard to google for their work.

For instance
    Do you use the Schneider 120TS or the 120MF Macro?
    What's your preferred method you deal with DOF images (a constant headache in high res macro)? Stacking? Movements? Backing off and cropping?
    What light shapers do you use given the small scale of your work?
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the link drop! I just figured not a lot of people see jewelry photography around so I thought I'd share!

I am using a 645DF body with a p40+ back most of the time which I actually got from digital transitions, Thanks doug! I also shoot with a 7D sometimes. I used to use a TF a lot but over time I have shifted away from it. I currently use a 120mm macro.

As far as software, I mostly use Photoshop for all my needs and have just had lots of experience over time with many other professionals.

Most of the time I like to actually try and get the piece of jewelry in the full frame that way I can get as high res as I need to be able to edit and also have the resolution for print, etc. But sometimes I am cropping the photo for DOF and I also do image stacking sometimes.
    I use a custom lighting tent I have created from scratch and built on my own. I shoot everything with one light, being a strobe over the tent.

I'd be happy to answer any questions! Feel free to contact me also!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FacetFlash View Post
    I just figured not a lot of people see jewelry photography around
    More than you would expect, actually

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear then

Anyone here a jewelry photographer?

- Calvin

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad to have you here! Feel free to stick around and contribute to the community anything that strikes your fancy and likewise to ask from the community anything you think we might be able to help with.

Got questions on Capture One? Have to choose between two lenses? Looking for a way to rig a specific widget X to camera-item Y when nothing seems to be available? Usually someone on the forum knows!

Post Thanks / Like

Aye, this is grrrreat place to find hands-on info, without much fussing, hissing and frowning

Calvin - i am pretty sure most of people here do shoot object photography one way or another. Specializing specifically in it? May be not as much.

I for one do shoot it for catalogue, whenever my friend makes new batch - he is specializing in historical jewelry (as in using actual true to the period materials, techniques and so on) but makes it into steampunk and fantasy areas every now and then.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome Calvin.

Thank you for posting the link ... I love seeing table-top work of any kind, and Jewelry is one of the more difficult tasks because of the size and DOF issues ... and especially difficult when diamonds are included.

I like your approach and style, clean and crisp.

One way to contribute to the community is to share specific techniques so we can all gain knowledge from one another. For example, there is also a lighting forum here on GetDpi where we often share an image, then how it was lit ... your custom tent would be very interesting to see, so next time you shoot, take a few wider snaps of the set-up with your other camera, and post it there.

Again, welcome!

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Calvin,

You just added me on Facebook earlier today. Yep, another jewelry photographer here. I just bought indirectly, but with some guidance from Doug a new phase one system (IQ160, 645DF, 120 macro MF, 110mm LS, 35mm f2.8 D, and lastly the no. 2 extension tube).

You do some great work indeed. When you said one light in total, how much post processing do you do per item would you say? It's very clean, which we all know even the best jewelry needs tons of work sadly in post. You do paths & gradients, etc?

We do various styles and have various lighting methods depending on the what the client wants... We do plenty of volume generally, having now 2 shooting stations.

Anyways, keep up the good work.

Vadim

Bitter Jeweler

Hello!

I just joined, for two reasons at the moment.

First, I just wanted to say, FacetFlash is indeed spamming his website. He did the same on another forum and was called out for it much as Doug did. Another user asked how he got his diamonds so bright, as she was experimenting with jewelery photography. His answer was "years of practice and experience" :/. I questioned him further, and was asked if I was jealous. :| Yeah, it was about web hits to his site.

That being said...

I want to give MAJOR thanks to Vadim, and the information on jewelery photography contained in his blog. Thank you so much for sharing that!

I am a jeweler. I have my own business and have been teaching myself product photography. Hiring someone is not feasible because everything I do is pretty much "on time delivery", so there is no time to send it out. I've been into photography for quite a while, but my love is shooting abstracts.

I have a 5dmkIII, and I love it. It was disappointing to learn of its limitations over a MF camera, and I looked at them, but they're out of my range for my needs at the moment. As I take on learning more about the craft of product photography, and if I can get anywhere near what you guys are doing, I won't rule it out. LOL

In the end, I guess I should thank Calvin for leading me here. It connected me with some great information that googling just didn't bring up.

I now have a gear list, and as I acquire, and start practicing, I will certainly post here for pointers.

Thanks again Vadim for sharing, and helping others learn!

Cheers!

Oh, here's some examples of how far I have to go...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there,

Thanks for the kind words I try to blog, but I don't know how some people can do this so often - with work, I have so little time for that, heck, even my family is upset that I live to work it seems.

I've seen Calvin post his site a little everywhere, I understand in a way why, SEO reasons. In a way I blame Google a little... my site ranks relatively poorly, yet I'm one of the only JEWELRY-ONLY photographers in Canada (there are others, but we're a rare breed). I'm like on page 7, yet I have a real blog about jewelry, not 1 random jewelry blog and boom, I'm on page 1 or 2. But I've seen that hard work has given me enough clients to hire additional staff

Anyways, the 5D system is still a VERY good system, perhaps a little faster to use than the Phase One system (larger files from Phase One take a little more time to process, then again depends on the back you are using). I've been getting away with less photos to stack versus the 5D Mark II/III. I don't try to fill the frame, I just shoot with it relatively small, but in the end after cropping, it's the same size, if not a bit larger. So I get less photos to take for stacking. Some clients give us 1000+ items to shoot, so you can understand that 6-9 shots per item brought down to 3-5 is better for us (9000 vs 5000 clicks on the high end).

The quality of the images though, I believe are much nicer in MF - the lack of the AA filter, combined with the great 120mm macro lens... deadly combo.

Vadim
    EpicMind Studio
    Jewelry Photography | Jewelry Retouching | Jewelry Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love very much to start doing and shooting products including jewels and watches, but the main problem i have is i don't have those product, i have very cheap not so nicely look watch and my mom has some old jewel which lost their brightness or shiny and most are not nice looking though, not rich to buy those hundreds thousands or millions dollars jewels, even cheapo ring that can be affordable is not interesting much to shoot.

I keep reading here and there about lighting setup, i have some lights to use but modifiers are the key somehow, and then camera/lens combo and last workflow, i hope to find some folks who are genius in workflow so they an retouch my work to the best.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Bitter Jeweler. I think you're name says it all. You actually take the time to sign up here just to diss someone because you are obviously jealous. If you wanted to know so much about what I do all you had to do is contact me as I'm not on the forum much. I actually have a life unlike you with 12k posts on TPF. Maybe if you spent more time working on you're jewelry photography instead of posting about other people on forums dissing them. You might actually get better in this specific field. I have actually helped many many people out there and even people that contacted me off the TPF. Stop getting butt hurt over nothing. I have even recently been conversing with Vadim.

Post Thanks / Like

Now now "children"

Everything can be learned, especially today with all the blogs and tutorials out there. I recommend you each find your style, the one that works for you. Sadly I've often been asked to copy other styles out there, but it pays the bills. I do my best for my clients and try to help others too....

Vadim

Post Thanks / Like

I completely concur. I just wasn't the person trying to talk bad on others over nothing. Some people take these forums way to serious.

All the best!

Calvin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vchiline View Post
    The quality of the images though, I believe are much nicer in MF - the lack of the AA filter, combined with the great 120mm macro lens... deadly combo.
    Actually there is still AA filtering going on, unless you got special edition back or ripped out glass yourself.. just waaaay smaller than on dSLR..

Anyway. For object photography there isnt a lot of replacement to go larger formats and proper movements, indeed (of course the drawback is having to fight shallower DOF. )..

But i am sure you know it already

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Actually there is still AA filtering going on, unless you got special edition back or ripped out glass yourself.. just waaaay smaller than on dSLR..

Anyway. For object photography there isnt a lot of replacement to go larger formats and proper movements, indeed (of course the drawback is having to fight shallower DOF. )..

But i am sure you know it already
    Hello Sergei,

how did you experience your step from the ZD Back to an Aptus? Currently I am using an Aptus 22 but have the impression that my ZD Back delivered slightly sharper files? So could it be that the ZD Back uses a shallower AA filter or is it just my fading memory? Moire seems to be less of an issue with the Aptus aswell. Likely that I'm just fooling myself here now that you have mentioned it...

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all, I would like to show the results of using the compendium of the Nikon D800 + Horseman VCC PRO + 120mm APO Rodenstock Rodagon. This is a watch photo, not jewellery but is similar in technics.
    9 shots with different focus proccess in ACR and Helicon Focus. Some basic sharpening in ACR.
    Image hasn't been retouched yet of course.

100% crop.

Post Thanks / Like

Very Nice Antonio! That would look killer on a white background! I love watches and want to start shooting them.

Post Thanks / Like

Another Jewelry photographer here. Hey I didn't know there were so many of us
    First off gotta say thank you to Vladim for his blogs and tutorials. They've been a lot of help.
    Antonio, have you tried any of the Nikon T&S lenses? I have the 85mm myself and it works pretty good. I know your view camera can get you a lot more shift that the 8° or so that the tilt and shift lenses can get you. Do you have a preference from one to another? I find that going to f18 or so and adjusting with my T&S lens works decently well.
    I'm using two strobes, Paul Buff Einsteins but I'd love to see FacetFlash's or others' lighting setup. Care to share a photo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MedShooter View Post
    Another Jewelry photographer here. Hey I didn't know there were so many of us
    First off gotta say thank you to Vladim for his blogs and tutorials. They've been a lot of help.
    Antonio, have you tried any of the Nikon T&S lenses? I have the 85mm myself and it works pretty good. I know your view camera can get you a lot more shift that the 8° or so that the tilt and shift lenses can get you. Do you have a preference from one to another? I find that going to f18 or so and adjusting with my T&S lens works decently well.
    I'm using two strobes, Paul Buff Einsteins but I'd love to see FacetFlash's or others' lighting setup. Care to share a photo?
    In fact i care more about lighting han which gear to use, i may go with T&S and movements for those kind of shots, but if i don't know how to use lighting for those then any movements will be useless as the shots will not be good enough to work with, so i will keep watching about the ideal lighting setup to be done on products/jewels/watches photography, and the part in lighting that i focus on will be the modifiers, i have 6-7 lights to be used, but then i need specific modifiers to use those lights on products at best when i will shoot something.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Interesting, Sergei! I always thought that the IR-cut filters on DBs were just wavelength passband selectors, and had no AA properties...can you point me to this info please?

Thanks,
    Ray

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    Interesting, Sergei! I always thought that the IR-cut filters on DBs were just wavelength passband selectors, and had no AA properties...can you point me to this info please?
    The IR glass used with Phase One and Leaf Digital backs have no meaningful AA properties. It simply cuts out IR light to insure proper ("visible only") color rendition.

To my knowledge the same is true of every Hassy and Sinar back.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well modesty I'm never been judge in order to know if I'm a great photographer but my clients are very happy.
    I used 4x5 in the old times so I'm more comfortable with this king of equipment. I have a Canon equipment to with all TS lenses.
    I usually work with 2 lights, one giving me the key through a screen and the second helping with some sparkle usually a soft box sometime I add a third with honeycomb. For fill I use a bunch of different things ranging from what we called compress foam, white cards, silver cards.
    Here is an Iphone photo of part of the set up. Sorry is nothing great..

Post Thanks / Like

Fore jewelry or watch photography, there isn't much in things you can buy to take the perfect photo out of the box as I know. Our studio has a bunch of handmade/custom made things to hang, support, light, bounce, etc. When we shoot watches, we sometimes use multiple shots with various exposures and combine them in post. I mean look at many of today's car ads... The car is rarely in the actual scene, the background is a HDR images comprised of many shots... The car might be a real photo, but sometimes also done in multiple shots (but many times it's now CGI)....

I advertising we can't deny that post-processing is an important step. For jewelry, which is my area of expertise, unless the jewelry is near perfect quality, we normally have no choice but to retouch the heck out of it. Even the nice stuff, must get cleaned up. I mean a ring is tiny, so when you view it on a screen at 600px, that highly magnified from reality.... In-store displays you have even larger views, so even more retouching the imperfections.... You can have the best gear, but you cannot hide the fact that post processing is a must in certain industries since we are all accustomed to "perfection" or at least close to it.

Ok, it's late for me.... Have a great night you all!

PS: Doug, thanks so much for your time with me a few weeks ago on the phone. I love my
    Phase One system.

Vadim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vchiline View Post
    Fore jewelry or watch photography, there isn't much in things you can buy to take the perfect photo out of the box as I know. Our studio has a bunch of handmade/custom made things to hang, support, light, bounce, etc.
    This is somewhat true. But. I can build anyone who is interested the same light kit that I personally use that will get you photos out of the camera that you will love, granted you have at least the minimum equipment. Total custom. If you're interested just contact me through here or my website. It can be used for any product photography. With purchase, I will also help you with tips and tricks!

Thanks!

FacetFlash - Home

Post Thanks / Like

Well as Vadim says, is difficult to find a strait image nowadays. If is not focus stacking is that combine with lots of retouching and the use of digital backgrounds. Most of the watches that I photograph are then retouch and placed in a different background by the artist in charged.
    One of the most digitally compose image that I've done was a Gold Label Christmas campaign. We had more than 10 images combined.

www.achdigital.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Killer photograph Antonio!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Facet.

Post Thanks / Like

Antonio, I was wondering what made you choose the Horseman over other similar products like the Cambo X2 Pro or the Novoflex Balpro T\S etc?
    Are there any differences between these?

Post Thanks / Like

Well that's a long story. I use to have 2 Horseman VH 6x9 set ups for landscape photography. I was in love with this little camera and regretted selling it.
    After going digital I bought the 17, 24 and 90 TS-E Canon lenses and used them vastly for a long time. For shifting moderately it was ok, for tilting always found so difficult to get the proper amount of tilt + focus shift.
    When I about to get the D800 I started the search for a hole new system with flexible lens mounts and reasonable tilt shift.
    I went over the Silvstry, Cambo and Horseman. I ended up choosing the Horseman having shift movement in the back standard which is very good for stitching, other is how small, light and convenient this little camera is.
    In Luminous Landscape forum I ask Simon Harper who owns and worship this camera as well and he show me the best lenses for it which are actually very chip, the APO Rodenstock N enlarging lenses. Also there is an adapter for Hasselblad, and Pentax 645 lenses.
    I own several Pentax 645 and mostly interested in the 35mm A on this combo. It is a bit tight to use but still can make an 75 mpx stitch with it equivalent to a 28mm lens.
    With the MF lenses the tilting capacity is not good. Image get or sort of distortions, so the quality is not acceptable for professional use.
    In this image you can see what I mean for tight:

Best ACH

Post Thanks / Like

This is a video of the back standard shifting. Hope is not to heavy on the web.

http://vimeo.com/45512848

priscillacinnamon

Cool Re: Phase one 645DF Jewelry Photography

Quote Originally Posted by FacetFlash View Post
    Sorry about the link drop! I just figured not a lot of people see jewelry photography around so I thought I'd share!

I am using a 645DF body with a p40+ back most of the time which I actually got from digital transitions, Thanks doug! I also shoot with a 7D sometimes. I used to use a TF a lot but over time I have shifted away from it. I currently use a 120mm macro.

As far as software, I mostly use Photoshop for all my needs and have just had lots of experience over time with many other professionals.

Most of the time I like to actually try and get the piece of jewelry in the full frame that way I can get as high res as I need to be able to edit and also have the resolution for print, etc. But sometimes I am cropping the photo for DOF and I also do image stacking sometimes.
    I use a custom lighting tent I have created from scratch and built on my own. I shoot everything with one light, being a strobe over the tent.

I'd be happy to answer any questions! Feel free to contact me also!
    When to you choose to do image stacking? Is it for certain conditions or merely because of the look you are after? Thanks, Priscilla

Post Thanks / Like

For those shooting with a tech camera for jewelry; are there any real advantages over a good tilt \ shift lens for jewelry work? My T\S shifts 8° and I know that a tech cam with bellows would go more than that but I'm thinking whether it's going to have any practical advantages. Also, most of the shots that I shoot are with the ring standing up and slightly angled away from the lens where the tilting and shifting wouldn't be as much use. So, I'm thinking whether the expense, bulk and slower workflow of a tech cam would really be worth it???

Post Thanks / Like

Med this is a difficult thing to explain because I'm a photographer and not a scientist.
    By experience, when you do jewellery or watch photography like in my case, the tilting that you need is quite big. This makes it difficult for the design of the lens to render an outstanding image and at the same time makes it difficult to refocus.
    When you are in a technical camera the lenses yield a better image when tilted. this is more noticeable out of the centre.
    In architectural photography is easier to work with Canon or Nikon tilt shifts because the tilt movement is smaller. You just tilt a bit and shift does not matter so much in the sense that is posible.
    With jewellery, even when you are using focus stacking, you still need to tilt.
    This image is 9 shot for focus stacking and the front standard is very well tilted:

Post Thanks / Like

In the film days we used to make images lake this with one shot using F/22 1/2 or even F/32.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    In the film days we used to make images lake this with one shot using F/22 1/2 or even F/32.
    Why can't it be done with one shot digitally if it is possible with film?

Post Thanks / Like

For me is more controlable working further away from the watch so I use a 120mm lens. This way I can lit and prop with more space.
    Modern sensors need f/8 as for obvious reasons. Even though is a 35mm sensor I still get short DOF.
    Before you had to think how to get more DOF by using a shorter lens, maybe a 150 or 180 in 4x5 film and using f/22 1/2 or 32 would give you more DOF.
    In the other hand things have changed. We look for more detailed, cleaner, highly retouched, 100% viewable images these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Antonio, your watch photography is excellent and the lighting spot on.

I used to dabble in this in my hassy film days (about 10 years ago) and never could quite master the lighting aspect.

Now I just insure the jewelers instead.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Brian. You are smart guy.!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use a tilt/shift but stopped because I didn't find it to be spectacular. I feel like I can pull the same image out of my 120mm as I can the tilt/shift and make it look identical most of the time. Although you can get some things using a tilt/shift more than you can a 120mm regular macro sometimes. Just the all around look will sometimes be a bit different.

PhaseOne Tilt Shift Lens: Review - YouTube

This video of Adrian talking about the Tilt shift lens is somewhat what I mean. Some things you just can't do in Photoshop to make it look the same. THAT BEING SAID, I personally don't shoot tilt/shift anymore as I feel it isn't that important for me to get the effect I want. Focus stacking in the programs nowadays has become a lot better and I can most of the time pull the same effect. If you have more questions I'm always on Skype, you can add me at calvins47 if you need to ask some questions.

Also, great watch photography Antonio. Hopefully we will start carrying more watches in our jewelry store so I can start shooting watches as well. Keep up the great work!

-Calvin
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

gerry morgan

hi im new here thanks for having me im a product photographer in dublin Ireland, using a Hasselblad H2D and phase one p25+ poor mans back lol.

Post Thanks / Like

A thread brought back to life! Just read through all this. We are creating our jewelry images completely in one shot without focus stacking or montage. Quite often without any photoshop whatsoever...

Post Thanks / Like

Feel free to post them up if you would like shortpballer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    Thanks Facet.
    You have some nice images on your site. I have a watch file I shot last week and will post up it was shot with a 1Dx I cannot afford a MF back as of yet....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    You have some nice images on your site. I have a watch file I shot last week and will post up it was shot with a 1Dx I cannot afford a MF back as of yet....
    That 1Dx certainly costs more than a digital back if ya look hard enough....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pyrojim View Post
    That 1Dx certainly costs more than a digital back if ya look hard enough....
    That 1Dx was a rental I own an old but trusty 1Ds II at this current time and rent a body to fit my needs.....

Post Thanks / Like

FacetFlash,
    Here you go

You can find more on our website.