The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LS lenses at 1/800th Flash Sync (and above)...

S

Shelby Lewis

Got any examples?

So many talk of needing the higher sync speed, but I never see examples of medium format shots at wide apertures with flash sync'd above 1/400th.

Just curios as to whether anyone wants to share their examples...

Last edited:

gsking

Hi

I have this one... and a few more

CF005258-2.jpg | Adam Duckworth Photography

Like this

CF005314.jpg | Adam Duckworth Photography

Also this one, which is a composite but the action of the girl jumping is at high speed

CF005636 copy.jpg | Adam Duckworth Photography
Adam,

Great shots, but they don't require HSS, do they? All of your subject exposure is from the flash.

I would expect the HSS feature would be useful in daytime. I have a similar jumping shot on slide film shot at 1/500 that would have benefited from even higher shutter speeds.

With digital, at ISO 25, I rarely exceed my 1/125 limits even if I wanted to. ;)

adamduckworth

The shot with the water bottle was taken outside on a bright sunny day. The background behind the athlete was a blue sky.

The dancer shot was taken at night but with a decent level of artificial light so you could focus. So the high speed was there to cut out the ambient.

I mainly shoot motocross bikes in action so do use it for that, mainly to freeze action where a 1/250sec sync on a DSLR wouldn't do it. Like this one...

Shaun Simpson | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Oops, didn't understand the point of this. I thought you were asking for lenses that had a wide aperture and have a sync speed of over 1/800.

Anyways here is an example: No Photoshop, no montage. Just light, and 1/800 sync speed :)

gsking

The shot with the water bottle was taken outside on a bright sunny day. The background behind the athlete was a blue sky.

The dancer shot was taken at night but with a decent level of artificial light so you could focus. So the high speed was there to cut out the ambient.

I mainly shoot motocross bikes in action so do use it for that, mainly to freeze action where a 1/250sec sync on a DSLR wouldn't do it. Like this one...

Shaun Simpson | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

LOL...oops, you're right. I completely forgot about turning day into night. :)

Even BETTER shots, then.