The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Laser Distance Meter

Shashin

What I was shooting with a SW612 and 90mm and 135mm lenses, I simply used an old accessory rangefinder. I used an Ansco DeJur which was modeled on the Leica designs and could slip into a hot shoe. It was accurate down to 24". It was small and need no power. I hung it around my neck. Watameter was another good rangefinder. Which the Kodak rangefinders had a really good design, the materiel in them can frost and yellow making them useless. These rangefinders can come in an imperial and meter scale. I bought these on eBay.

BTW, if you live in a place that have lots of security and are nervous about terrorism, flashing a laser rangefinder around might not be a great idea. With the stupidity of thinking photographers are terrorist, this kind of device is probably going to be looked on as very suspicious. It was the best of times and the worst of times...

hi there, this may sound stupid here, can anyone explain how one uses the laser distance meter? i use a Bosch GLM 80 laser distance meter for my architectural work and i suppose i can use the same in this matter that we are disucssing here.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You align the measuring point of the distometer with the plane of the sensor and point it at the subject you want to focus on.

dchew

Harshan,

It is really the combination of a laser distance meter and the Alpa HPF rings. They have very fine distance markings. Here is a pdf chart of how detailed they are:
Alpa-Rodenstock distance tables
Basically you set up the camera, check distance with the laser meter, then rotate the HPF ring to the corresponding distance. As long as your lenses and back are calibrated, it works extremely well and is very efficient. At least until you add tilt!

Also not bad for the longer Schneider lenses. I have the SK150mm, which does not have an HPF ring, but the Schneider helical is detailed enough to make it work fairly well.

Dave

Thank you Graham & Dave, so once I know the distance to my point of focus from the sensor plane I need the Alpa HPF rings to set the focus? How does one do it on a normal copal shutter that I have on my Cambo 35xl digitar lens? Thanks

dchew

You would do it the same way, it is just that the normal distance scale that comes engraved on the lens does not have enough detail in the distance labels. It is too hard to interpolate between the numbers.

It is not the shutter that is different. The lenses are the same; it is just a ring that gets clamped over the existing rubber knurled grip on the helical. Here is a shot of Guy's Cambo with the Alpa HPF ring mounted...

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/30004-show-us-your-tech-cam.html

Ok, just when I thought i had the complete setup here comes the HPF ring, frankly never knew about suh a thing, will read about it more before I take the plunge, fortunately I have a distance meter already, I tried reading the distance chart and found that really confusing, I suppose its a matter of time me will be able to comprehend faster. Thanks Dave & Stephen.

rga

My goodness! How does one possibly figure out how to read those tables? Any pointers wouldbe appreciated,
Bob
Harshan,

It is really the combination of a laser distance meter and the Alpa HPF rings. They have very fine distance markings. Here is a pdf chart of how detailed they are:
Alpa-Rodenstock distance tables
Basically you set up the camera, check distance with the laser meter, then rotate the HPF ring to the corresponding distance. As long as your lenses and back are calibrated, it works extremely well and is very efficient. At least until you add tilt!

Also not bad for the longer Schneider lenses. I have the SK150mm, which does not have an HPF ring, but the Schneider helical is detailed enough to make it work fairly well.

Dave

PeterL

My goodness! How does one possibly figure out how to read those tables? Any pointers wouldbe appreciated,
Bob
Not really that hard. There are two major columns, one 'meter' the other 'feet' (so labeled). Look at the one you prefer. Ignore anything except the two left most columns in your preferred major column. Those other numbers to the right are for the the various Alpa extension adapters (6.4, 16, etc). The first number is qual to the tick mark on the HPF ring (many of these are indicated on the ring with an actual meter/feet reading, these are red). The in-between marks which are not indicated on the ring can be read off in this table. That is it....:)

In practice you rarely need this table, only for very close focus does it matter.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, -Peter

dchew

Here is a list on Alpa's website:
Alpa Distributors
There website is pretty good; there are several valuable videos that were done by Paul at Optechs. There is no distributor listed in India. There is one in Malaysia, but that is about the closest to you...

Any of the U.S. dealers are quite good.

Dave

dchew

If you carry an iPhone the new beta app has some good info, one of which is for the hpf rings. Here is a screen shot. It is not a simple app to install. You install "FileMaker Go" then read it as a document through that. But lots of good stuff in there.

For the hpf rings you select a lens then enter the distance reading. It shows exactly where to position the ring... For those who hate interpolating (guessing) :)

Dave

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I actually prefer this Leupold hunting RF -- it includes a 6x optic and measures out to 1000 meters. On the downside, it only measures to .1 m so may not be perfect for critical close focus, but it certainly gets you very close very fast, and you can use it full Sunlight. By contrast, I could not read my Disto in Sun.

Leupold® RX®-1000i Rangefinder with DNA™ | Bass Pro Shops

Do NOT get the one with TBR (Ballistic compensation programming) as that only measures to the closest full meter.
I use the Leupold for far distances. It has a near distance limit of 5 yards, so for close work the D8 seems the better choice, but at a distance the Leupold is very good.
-bob

Here is a list on Alpa's website:
Alpa Distributors
There website is pretty good; there are several valuable videos that were done by Paul at Optechs. There is no distributor listed in India. There is one in Malaysia, but that is about the closest to you...

Any of the U.S. dealers are quite good.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I shall try through Singapore where I frequent often. Considering I do not have a ground glass with my Cambo WRS for focussing, I think this would be the solution as currently I use live view/focus check but am not really convinced I am getting it right. Regards, Harshan