The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Laser Distance Meter

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I would like to buy a laser distance meter to use with my Cambo WRS and Fuji GX617 w/ 300mm. There are so many Leica Disto models and other brands to choose from. Please help.
Thank you
Pramote

dchew

Yes the D5 is the only one I know of with a "live view" video feature. Great for bright situations or longer readings. There are times when I have trouble getting it to read beyond 50 meters or so. Some people carry a rangefinder as well, although even with my SK150mm the D5 limitations have not bothered me enough to get a rangefinder too.

Dave

+1 for the D5. Only ever had a problem when trying to focus on some mangrove shoots. Was amazing with the HPF rings when I had the Alpa.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
And with all the MF -> D800 relocation going on, you'd expect to see more D5s showing up in the FS thread, but noooooo. :)

--Matt (who, with only a 35mm lens doesn't feel the need.. yet...)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Disto D5 or D8 (I got a great refurb deal at D5 cost) plus I carry a rangefinder for longer distances where dot can be hard to see even with video.

GrahamWelland

And with all the MF -> D800 relocation going on, you'd expect to see more D5s showing up in the FS thread, but noooooo. :)

I think it's less of a stampede amongst tech cam shooters to be honest.

Don Libby

I'll add my 2 cents for the D5. I got it over a year ago and use it often. Bright sun or not it works.

Don

stngoldberg

I enjoy the D800e, but when I want maximum resolution and dynamic range with superior depth of field, I reach for my Arca Swiss RM3DI with my H4D50 back. With the D5 information, focus is not a problem-no live view-no viewfinder-no autofocus-but the image-wow

Paul2660

Another style, brand is the opti-logic style. I prefer it to the Lecia, both for cost and the fact I prefer to use the eye piece. 800 yards to 12 f. Past 800 yards I am not worried and under 12 feet, I can pretty much get that by sight.

feet, yards, meters and the XT has a mode to handle not straight line distance, i.e. looking up or down. I am sure the Leica has this also.

Here is link:

Products

Paul

torger

I've used the D5 some. It's a nice tool to have, but it cannot solve all problems, you can only rarely get readings from bushes and stuff like that, you need a tree trunk or similar. For a bit longer distances you may want to mount it to a tripod too. However, the D5 is much better than older distance meters. The old laser distance meters I did not find to be that usable, too difficult to get readings without a tripod and flat target surface. The D5 has much faster readings and can do them in more difficult situations, making it quite usable handheld. Just don't expect it to give you readings in all possible situations.

Most often I just estimate distances, but it is also something one gets better at after using a distance meter for a while. I focus on the ground glass though, so I don't need the (exact) distance as often as for an RM3Di or Alpa.

torger

D5 + HPF = 100%
That's a good point, you don't really need to measure distance longer than the hyperfocal / 2 because then you just set the hyperfocal distance. Just make sure you have a hyperfocal table with a CoC that gives you the result you expect. I prefer CoC = airy disc diameter.

GrahamWelland

Agree with Dan & Torger. Only really need precision close up or with longer glass. I find that over time you get pretty good at eyeballing it.

For longer distances with my 90 or 150 I use my Leupold laser rangefinder. Close in, D5/8.

Btw, with tech I found the effort of determining your own hyper-focal distance / aperture / subject distance worthwhile.

P

photohagen

any recommendations for an iphone app for calculating hyperfocal/CoC ?

rh

GrahamWelland

Simple DoF or f/8 are about as good as anything else, particularly if you just decide on which CoC vs selecting a camera model. The authors all seem pretty lazy about updating their camera databases anyway.

I'd still recommend doing your own tests to determine your acceptable hyperfocal distance if you are shooting with a tech camera. That will give you a good idea of where to focus for sharp enough infinity (or your acceptable infinity) for the limited range of apertures and focal lengths that most tech camera users actually use. It's a bit tedious and easier to do when tethered but it is worth it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I actually prefer this Leupold hunting RF -- it includes a 6x optic and measures out to 1000 meters. On the downside, it only measures to .1 m so may not be perfect for critical close focus, but it certainly gets you very close very fast, and you can use it full Sunlight. By contrast, I could not read my Disto in Sun.

Leupold® RX®-1000i Rangefinder with DNA™ | Bass Pro Shops

Do NOT get the one with TBR (Ballistic compensation programming) as that only measures to the closest full meter.