The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA rumors Photokina 2012

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
This is the ultimate expression of Swiss thinking - literally the Switzerland of camera systems. :thumbs:

My wallet just ran off whimpering into a corner ... :eek:

Btw, Stefan's HCam still has universal appeal as it has the sliding back adapter for focus and I'm sure that it'll be way less expensive!

Paul Spinnler

now stefan, please be so kind to introduce the first budget digital back ... kind of like what blackmagic design just did for the cinematographers by repackaging a sensor into a 3k usd cinema dng raw video camera. that would truly democratize the franken camera concept

Stefan Steib

we already have the HCam-B1v
this will take any Alpa parts if anyone wants this.
But I see this is not very likely, Alpa users will stay with Alpa,
But we can also use Cambo, Arca, Sinar, Linhof and more adapters for the
Front - as well as we do have a shorter flange focal distance so we do start
with lenses from 60mm whereas I doubt Alpa´s double module can go much shorter than maybe 90mm.

Regards
Stefan

gazwas

isnt this a full-frontal attack at stefan's camera?
Didn't like to bring it up myself but as for it being a "Trick" it all seems very familiar. No disrespect to the Hcam but it's hardly revolutionised the MFD world and if this new camera didn't have an Alpa badge on it would we be getting quite as excited about it?

It does look a great camera, with great functionality but don't think I'd ever want to buy one........ time will tell once they hit the streets.

Badge aside, who else here is thinking of ordering one of these and why?

kdphotography

This is the ultimate expression of Swiss thinking - literally the Switzerland of camera systems. :thumbs:

My wallet just ran off whimpering into a corner ... :eek:

Btw, Stephan's HCam still has universal appeal as it has the sliding back adapter for focus and I'm sure that it'll be way less expensive!
I look forward to seeing you at CI in Carmel 2013, Graham. Don't forget to bring your new Alpa 12 FPS....

:D

Stefan Steib

Something else:
Of course even as Alpa did not show the Hartblei lenses on their Press Image
I am sure there will be more Hartblei Zeiss Superrotators find a new home on this fine new camera !

:)

Regards
Stefan

m21apsh

sony RX1 for $2800 USD
I consider it is a good price if it can performance as good as Leica M9 with 35mm F2 lens.

Hcam-*‐B1v for 6045,-*‐€

Alpa 12 FPS 8000 ‐€ ?

DSemick

The ALPA folk should be very proud of themselves. I'll try to provide a little more insight about the product after my meeting with them next week.

Denny

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I just returned home .
With what I see on the ALPA page , I feel breathless and very dizzy . Never ever happened to me before with new photogear .
All I see and have still to study is far beyond what I expected and could imagine in my dreams .
I can't say more in the moment .
Looking forward to have the FPS in my hands .

gerald.d

we already have the HCam-B1v
this will take any Alpa parts if anyone wants this.
But I see this is not very likely, Alpa users will stay with Alpa,
But we can also use Cambo, Arca, Sinar, Linhof and more adapters for the
Front - as well as we do have a shorter flange focal distance so we do start
with lenses from 60mm whereas I doubt Alpa´s double module can go much shorter than maybe 90mm.

Regards
Stefan
Don't think that's correct re the flange distance Stefan - the Alpa will take Canon EF lenses.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

danlindberg

I just returned home .
With what I see on the ALPA page , I feel breathless and very dizzy . Never ever happened to me before with new photogear .
All I see and have still to study is far beyond what I expected and could imagine in my dreams .
I can't say more in the moment .
Looking forward to have the FPS in my hands .
+1

This is looking stunning. Well done Alpa :clap:

So many possibilities....wow, looking very much forward to photokina :thumbs:

GrahamWelland

Jurgen,

What I like here is that they've taken a leap beyond just their existing solution and added flexibility for lots of other glass including t/s lenses from the 35mm and MF domains. The only thing really missing is decent live view on the digital backs - something that I'm sure they are betting on in the future and will be ready for. In the meantime it'll be GG focusing or existing tech cam focus approaches.

It won't appeal to everyone but I'm very excited at the opportunity to expand my tech cam shooting options with longer & wider glass, plus also the FPS automation support.

Stefan Steib

Don't think that's correct re the flange distance Stefan - the Alpa will take Canon EF lenses.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
I am not talking about the Canon Lenses.
If you take a look at the Rodenstock/Schneider...Techlenses these sit either on a shift/Alpa Camera module(with shift) movements or an adapter plate with extension. The focusing helicoid and the plate limit the usage of the lenses to about 60mm, you can use recessed lens boards for short focal lenghts, but then the operation will become very uncomfortable and- as the actual wideangles of Schneider and Rodenstock are having several problems with HIghres MF anyway does not make much sense at all.

regards
Stefan

GrahamWelland

Isn't this the point in a MF thread where someone comes along and tells us that we should all just shoot with a D800? It seems overdue ... :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Been waiting for that one too. Lol

It does offer some long lens options. Heck bolt every Nikon lens on it and get a 80 mpx wonder. I know I know but it's a interesting thought.

Stefan Steib

Stefan - the new Rodie 50mm is shown as the widest lens in Alpa mount.I
Maybe that´s a bit longer on the barrel so it would fit. I can also imagine the ALPA body is a bit slimmer than the HCam and uses an adapter for the Canon Module on the front. Most interesting for me is there is not one single image showing that. Curious if it made it to the photokina release or if that one is delayed. As I said, I wish them all the best and I hope I can also see it on Photokina.

Regards
Stefan

Stefan Steib

Been waiting for that one too. Lol

It does offer some long lens options. Heck bolt every Nikon lens on it and get a 80 mpx wonder. I know I know but it's a interesting thought.
I don´t want to destroy these ideas, but it is essential the teles are not REAL Telelenses as those have lensgroups sitting comparable deep in the barrel, so there will be barrelvignetting if these are used on a large 80 Mpix chip. You can check our Lenscompatibility list , this already has a lot of infos that are also valid for ALPA12FPS

Regards
Stefan