The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Rollei/DHW shutter module 1/1000sec

Stefan Steib

DHW Electronic Shutter No. 0 HS1000

now this I call a real innovation:
no more separate control module, instead direct USB to PC cable and software and control. Sorry the Table is in german (source Photoscala.de)
http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/ph...x-Hy6-Mod2-Rolleiflex-FX-N-Electronic-Shutter
here is a fast Google translate:

Specifications Electronic Shutter No. 0 HS1000 type direct driven central locking; Drive with Feedback for sophisticated, precise and gentle driving screw front / rear camera lenses for Gr. 0 Shutter diameter max. 20 mm Shortest Shutter Speed ​​1/1000 sec at 20 mm diameter z even with small aperture iris control via stepper motor in 1/10 steps special versions option for smaller apertures (eg 6-13 mm) for even faster shutter speeds Interface Micro USB for control and power supply (not yet completed testing). example from the PC software supplied flash sync socket. To 1/1000 sec Dimensions Diameter 89 mm, depth 19.5 mm mounting on fixing ring, diameter of 34.6 mm (41.55 mm or size 1.)

gerald.d

If you have to connect it to a PC, meh.

Isn't this exactly the same control paradigm as the existing Rodenstock eShutter (except I presume you can't control it from an iPhone or iPad)?

I'll wait for the new controller for the Rodenstock :)

I don't get why you would prefer to have to lug around a laptop to control one of these shutters, rather than a standalone handheld control?

Nice fast shutter speed though, I'll grant you that.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Stefan Steib

As you said- there is no reason not to run this from any Windows or iOS Mobile or tablet - so I think this makes MORE than reason. add Capture Pilot and life view....... Maybe even make this a plugin for Capture one

.........are you getting the point ?

Regards
Stefan

gerald.d

As you said- there is no reason not to run this from any Windows or iOS Mobile or tablet - so I think this makes MORE than reason. add Capture Pilot and life view....... are you getting the point ?

Regards
Stefan
Not really, but then I don't shoot tethered. I guess for people already shooting tethered, it makes sense. I'd far sooner have only a handheld unit to worry about.

BTW - apologies. I was wrong about the Rodenstock eShutter, it does indeed have an extra box between it and the PC.

I am reliably informed though that a solution similar to the Rollei Lens Control S is in the works. Maybe we'll get a sniff of it next week. I'm really looking forward to it because it will make shooting panos with the Alpa a lot simpler!

Stefan Steib

An app on a windows8 or an iOS6 device that can also control the shot images plus trigger multishots + maybe able to handle a stitching software interface..... ?
Come on , forget the Rodenstock/Sinar shutter at the Moment the shortest time they can do is 1/125 sec. Who is interested in this kind of performance ?

Regards
Stefan

gazwas

An iPhone as a glorified cable release sounds amazing but where does the shutter get power from, the phone?

Love to see it in action as it sounds like a great update!

gerald.d

ISO35, f/11. Bright sunshine. 1/60th is all you need (see my 4.2GP pano from last week!)

Bottom line - I don't want to have to carry around a laptop. The option to do so is fine, but if a company forces me to, i simply won't buy their shutter.

I appreciate of course that others will have different requirements and may love this option.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

gazwas

Sorry I misunderstood the the way it works. The iPhone would fire the shutter via the capture pilot type app that is talking to a notebook tethered to the camera.

I thought and was getting excited about an iPad or iPhone directly connected to the lens running the software to trigger the shutter....... no notebook in sight. Now that would be a dream come true.

Stefan Steib

Gareth

no misunderstanding - it could be exactly like you described it in the first posting. The app on Phone/Tablet/Notebook/PC-Mac will directly trigger the shutter. I just supposed to make this even a plugin for Capture One or other Back software to trigger the shutter and the back in a way they now use a Canon/Nikon or similar DSLR. The interface could be something like EOS Utility providing the same level of comfort for ALL-EVEN OLD FULLY MECHANICAL CAMERAS which will be equipped with this shutter !
Alpas already have the iPhone Holder. I always smiled about this , but now it will come to full life for all lenses compatible with shutter size zero.
And this with 1/1000sec............... fuuuh

VERY COOOOOOL

I think this is the best news for Highend Pro Photography(With tech lenses) since a long time. If I were Rodenstock and Schneider I would open a real expensive Brut Reserve Taittinger and have a deep nap.

Regards
Stefan

gazwas

This sounds very cool!

Then imaging if they could power the shutter in some way and have it all fire from the iPad/iPhone over wifi or something..... :clap:

EH21

This actually is really cool! For a long time I have wished for a miniature Lens Control module but this could in fact be even better. Now what is needed is an iphone app....

Stefan Steib

Today I have seen the working shutter- still a demo modell and at current running only at 1/500sec (the final version will have improved blades- right now it´s a handbuilt prototype). But there is a software module for Windows, a Mac version in devellopment and all as described. Well done DHW !

My opinion: one of the best of show items !