The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lee 4" system, 95mm and wide angle

MikeHlop

Hi all,

I've got recently Hassy HC 50-110, which has 95 mm thread and I also have lee filter system. Purchased adapter ring and found that if there is any extra filter like UV attached to the lens, on 50mm with lee system it gives some slight vignetting. Without UV - it's OK. In BHPhoto description it said "for long lenses" but comparing with other adaptor rings it doesn't look any thicker.

The concern is that I'm planning to get 28mm, which is also 95mm. It will definitely vignetted. What are you using in this combination? Is there any 95 mm Lee adapter for wide angle?

Last edited:

baxter

It won't be easy getting an ND grad system for the 28mm lens. Here is my solution for the Phase One 28mm lens. It is problematic to use regarding reflections back onto the lens from the filters. It also requires buying new holder and larger Lee x-pro sized ND grads. Mine remains largely unused because of this difficulty.

For the 50-110mm zoom lens you will probably be ok with the standard push on holder with correctly sized doughnut ring and the 100mm filters.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/mediu...using-lee-nd-grad-filters-phase-one-28mm.html

Miller

Mike,

On the HC 28 the 95 mm ring causes some vignetting, even when mounted directly to the lens without uv-filter. I don't think a custom ring is possible, given the diameter of the lens tube.

MikeHlop

Thanks Baxter - it looks like possible way if I won't be able to do anything more standard. Meantime, I've requested Lee if it's possible to make custom 95mm ring but I'm afraid Frans is right and due to the diameter it isn't possible

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Mike
That ring , BTO , will be rather expensive .
So you better cancel your order , when you know it will not be a solution for your needs .

MikeHlop

Here is a reply from Lee:
Due to the design of the filter system, I'm afraid that it is not possible to make a 95mm wide angle ring.
The 100mm push on holder may be OK to fit to the outside of the lens, and it will take the same existing filters from your current system.

MikeHlop

Here is a reply from Lee:
Due to the design of the filter system, I'm afraid that it is not possible to make a 95mm wide angle ring.
The 100mm push on holder may be OK to fit to the outside of the lens, and it will take the same existing filters from your current system.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I used to use a Cokin filter kit on my Hassy 40mm wide, and even cut down the extra slots so the adapter I had on that lens only took one filter at a time, and it would still vignette, so since the lense is so wide, there isnt much you can do.

What I ended up doing, was removing the filter holder, and holding the filter against the end of the lens without any adapters. Pain? Sort, of, but it did help with the vignetting issue a little.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I am of the mindset that use whatever works.

I loved that lens and camera, and sold it when my son was born as I knew my shooting time would be very limited. Wish I had it today. Instead I have a Cambo WRS, with IQ140, and now a D800 / D3s kit with way too many lenses. (whoops). :grin:

Professional

I used that LEE 95mm adapter with GND filter only, and the vignetting is there, i used that on my HCD 28mm, i was thinking to go with stacking the filter direct to the lens by a sticker if possible, or by holding by hand if the speed time is not longer than 6 seconds, i don't think i can keep holding the filter on the lens many times more than 5-6 seconds.

Good luck, if you find the solution please let me know.

MikeHlop

Another option might be a screw-in 95mm Graduated ND. I understand that I'm loosing some flexibility with that but it might work. I have B+W 77mm screw-in grad 0.6 and used it in the past from time to time. The only problem, a choice of graduated ND filers of that size is not that great.

Has anyone used Formatt filters? Are they good? BHPhoto has huge selection of those

goesbang

I have the same issue using LEE and Hitec grads on my Alpagon 23HR with the CF attached. The filter holder is a no-go. I simply attach my filters directly to the lens barrel with 4 blobs of blu-tac. It looks untidy, but works a charm and is as cheap as chips. There are several other brands of sticky stuff that claim to compete with blu-tac, but I've tried most and none are grippy enough to hold a filter reliably.
Cheers,

Jeffg53

I asume that you are using a 60 or 50 as the 40 does not vignette. FWIW, the Lee push on adapter is something that you love or hate. I had a custom adapter made which goes on the hood bayonet, that may stop vignetting. I never use it as I have a 40 now.