The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Arca product 2012

RodK

I will be attending Photokina, so if you have questions, I will answer email etc. Back on the 24th.
Rod

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The Cloud is a different eModule. There are now two announced "eModules":
- (Traditional/original) eModule with resonance distance measuring
- eModule Cloud with optical distance measuring

A batch of the traditional eModules is ready to go they say, as soon as the math/performance is perfect.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
We have received many inquiries regarding pricing and availability of the new Arca-Swiss products that were announced at Photokina.

We have US list pricing from Arca now.

Factum (both Fac+Tum): US$4,390
"Fac" Only: US$1890
EModule: US$1390
Cloud Module: US$1890

Availability is "soon".

This looks like an especially good deal for anyone who owns an RM3Di already and would like a more compact and portable option.

As a reminder from our Arca Swiss blog the Factum is comprised of a (new) "Fac" body and a "tum" tilt-swing module identical to the one found in the RM3Di and the new RL3Di. That means if you own an RM3Di then you already have a "tum" and only need the $1890 "Fac" body to create a "Factum".

Lance (email)
It's listed below as of September 27, 2012. Pricing is subject to change without notice, and frequently changes more than once per year to accommodate changes in exchange rate or cost of parts (e.g. last year Copal raised their price on their shutter).

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The Cloud is a different eModule. There are now two announced "eModules":
- (Traditional/original) eModule with resonance distance measuring
- eModule Cloud with optical distance measuring

A batch of the traditional eModules is ready to go they say, as soon as the math/performance is perfect.
I should ask an Indian tracker to put his ear to the ground.
Last time I asked him, he said that he heard nothing LOL
-bob

stephengilbert

Don't be cynical, Bob. This is a clear step forward: they used to have only one unavailable version of the eModule, and now they have two.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Don't be cynical, Bob. This is a clear step forward: they used to have only one unavailable version of the eModule, and now they have two.
:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

At least with Alpa we only have to worry about selling off the first born children to afford the gear. But you can actually get it and it does actually work. :eek:

(Btw, I confess that I have total admiration for the Arca system ... this is in jest!)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I love arca gear but at least you Alpa guys have a web site where you can eye-fondle the stuff.
-bob

P.S.
That alpenhorn is really annoying LOL

jagsiva

Does anyone know the shift specs on the new RL3di? The brochure states "additional shift capabilities", but I have been unable to see anything specific.

Thanks.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Same as the previous RL3D
+/-20mm shift
+40mm image-rise*, -20mm image-fall

The difference between the RL3Di and RL3D is that they now use the same "tum" tilt-swing mechanism in the RL3Di as the RM3Di, making all three bodies (RL, RM, "Fac") interchangeable frame-holders for the "tum" module.

So if you buy a R3LDi and a "Fac" frame you can have a relatively large body with a wide range of movements (all on the rear) which is also compatible with 4x5 film in case you ever get the analog bug, AND a very small travel camera with either rise/fall or shift (but not at the same time). Both systems would have tilt with every lens, and the most precise focusing system available on any tech camera platform.

*On this system image-rise is attained by falling the back

jagsiva

Thanks Doug.

"So if you buy a R3LDi and a "Fac" frame you can have a relatively large body with a wide range of movements (all on the rear) which is also compatible with 4x5 film in case you ever get the analog bug, AND a very small travel camera with either rise/fall or shift (but not at the same time). Both systems would have tilt with every lens, and the most precise focusing system available on any tech camera platform"

This is exactly what I was thinking. My main concern with the RM3Di is the 15mm lateral shift limitation, especially when considering lenses like the 60XL.

However, given that the RL3Di, with the compromises of a much bigger/heavier camera, only gives an additional 5mm, I'm thinking the RM3Di, is still the best choice, I can always flip it on it side for additional shift.

Of course, the Cambo gives me the 20/20 lateral, but I keep thinking the helical focus mechanism on the Arca will serve me better.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
A few further thoughts (most of it pure opinion, so of course you'll want to think through if this applies to your priorities/needs/ways-of-shooting):
- you can use the Alpa rings on many Cambo lenses (there's nothing proprietary about them they are simply attachable rings with more precise distances marked on them). This is not the same as a large-throated helical built into the body, but it gets you closer.
- The RM3Di on it's side is an excellent option for occasional use. If it was going to be frequent-usage or even most-of-the-time sort of thing I'd suggest getting a body with 20mm of movement (either the RL or Cambo)
- the pack-size/weight difference of the RL vs. RM won't be a big deal when traveling/carrying/schlepping the gear by hand moderate distances or less. It will be a big deal when carrying the gear long distances by hand, but in such cases the Factum makes more sense than either. Don't you Kayak a lot of your gear around? If so the pack size for the RL won't be that much more, and you can leave it at base-camp when journeying significant distances from base camp (unless you always take everything everywhere - of course I don't know much about the specifics of your travels - only you do). Seems to me an RL+Factum is a great kit... RL anytime you're not overly concerned about size, Factum anytime you are.

jagsiva

A few further thoughts (most of it pure opinion, so of course you'll want to think through if this applies to your priorities/needs/ways-of-shooting):.....
The Cambo is nice and compact, and the AE looks like its built as well as the Arca or Alpa. I was seriously considering it. If the LV on the IQ was more usable, this would be a no brainer. As it stands, I think LV is quite usable for composing, but I need something more idiot proof for focussing.

I am thinking that I would need accurate focus more often than I would need the extra 5mm, so certainly leaning towards the Arca. My point on RL was that for the extra bulk, it only offers an extra 5mm of travel in each direction. Are there any additional movements in the RL (understand there is an additional 10mm on the rise/fall as well) that would be work considering? Is there any value in the movement for rise/fall being a drop of the back versus a rise of the lens?

If I go the RM route, I am hoping when I occasionally need larger shift, I can just flip the whole camera on its side via my Cube, rather than messing with L-brackets.

My main reason for going tech is to keep things small and compact, not necessarily light. THis is so I can get most of my stuff and a week's worth of "stay-alive" neccessities into a kayak. I have used the DF, but it's bulky, and the wides leave me wanting more for. Worst of it is the mirror/shutter vibrations, that keep haunting me, even with the wireless remote and MUP.

Cheers,

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I am thinking that I would need accurate focus more often than I would need the extra 5mm, so certainly leaning towards the Arca. My point on RL was that for the extra bulk, it only offers an extra 5mm of travel in each direction. Are there any additional movements in the RL (understand there is an additional 10mm on the rise/fall as well) that would be work considering?
Bit more rise/fall, bit more shift, and the ability to use a 4x5 film holder. With the trade-off of moderate increases in size, weight, and cost. Otherwise the same as the RM3Di.

Is there any value in the movement for rise/fall being a drop of the back versus a rise of the lens?
Absolutely. When the lens moves the point of view changes. If there is anything in the foreground this causes problems/artifacts when stitching (even if you don't think you'll stitch I'd encourage you to keep your mind open in that regard as my experience as a vendor is many users do end up stitching even if they didn't think they would).

For clarity every Arca and the Cambo Wide RS and RC (all versions) have all rise/fall/shift movements on the back of the camera. The way you'd want it.

If I go the RM route, I am hoping when I occasionally need larger shift, I can just flip the whole camera on its side via my Cube, rather than messing with L-brackets.
This will be no problem at any short shutter speed (e.g. 1/60th).

At longer exposures I'd be concerned with camera stability as the camera will be levered over it's point of support.

My main reason for going tech is to keep things small and compact, not necessarily light. THis is so I can get most of my stuff and a week's worth of "stay-alive" neccessities into a kayak. I have used the DF, but it's bulky, and the wides leave me wanting more for. Worst of it is the mirror/shutter vibrations, that keep haunting me, even with the wireless remote and MUP.
Sounds like you're after a tech camera for all the right reasons. I agree you'll see major improvements in every area you list.

jagsiva

Just a thought on the Rm3di...can the Rotaslide add to the lateral shift capabilities, nothwithstanding any image circle limitations of course?

Thanks in advance for the help.