Site Sponsors

Thread: New Arca product 2012

Post Thanks / Like

New Arca product 2012

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Arca product 2012

Pff, small format cameras... LulF rules!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm getting the new ball head over my Z1

ARCA-SWISS
    monoball Z2+
    Die Kamerabewegung erfolgt daher immer im Lot und ermöglicht
    so perfekt zusammensetzbare Panoramaschwenks.
    Innovativ in der Konstruktion und universell einsetzbar, vereint der Monoball Z2+ die Vorzüge eines Kugelkopfes mit den guten Eigenschaften eines klassischen 3-Wege-Kopfes.
    monoball Z2+
    Improved as well, the bigger ballhead Monoball Z2+ is now equiped with a second panning top and additionally, its weight has been reduced considerably.
    The Z2+ combines the advantages
    of a ballhead with the features of a multiaxial tripod head. The secret hides in a newly designed ball unit which allows an individual and independent control of the x- and the y-axis, with gravity compensation and separate locks.
    The upper lever locks the smaller ball in the x-axis ( at 80°; 40°; -40°), whereas the lower lever is locking the bigger ball in the y-axis (at 140°; 90°; -50°).The Monoball Z2+ sports two panning mechanisms, one at the base of the head,
    the other, a proper panning top for panoramic photography, is located above the ball allowing perfect and leveled panorama stichings. Innovative and ready for all circumstances the ARCA SWISS monoball Z2+ is a clever synthesis of the advantageous ease of a ballhead and the exacting features of a three-way head.

monoball Z2+
    Ausgestattet mit allen Vorzügen des monoball Z2 wurde auch
    der Monoball Z2+ wesentlicht modifiziert und hat ein zweites, oberes Panorama erhalten. Seine Masse und sein Gewicht konnten dennoch entscheidend reduziert werden. Der Z2+ nutzt die Vorteile eines Kugelkopfes und erweitert diese mit den Eigenschaften
    eines multiaxialen Stativkopfes. Erreicht wird dies durch eine neuartige mechanische Einheit
    in Kugel-form. Sie ermöglicht
    die unabhängige Bewegung der Kamera in der X- oder Y-Achse, beide Bewegungen haben eine Gravitätskompensation und können mit getrennten Feststellknöpfen fixiert werden. Der obere Feststellknopf fixiert die X-Achse (bei 80°: 40°-40°), während der untere Knopf die Bewegung um
    die Y-Achse (bei 140°: 90°-50°) arretiert.Der Monoball Z2+ besitzt zwei Dreheinrichtungen. Das
    eine Panorama befindet sich an der Basis des Stativkopfes, das zweite, die eigentliche Panoramaeinrichtung, befindet sich oberhalb der Kugel.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Arca Swiss Rock!

Great new products and updates and the eModule Cloud sounds interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Arca Swiss Rock!

More release information is here:
    Arca-Swiss News – Photokina 2012 - Arca-Swiss & Large Format Photography - Rod Klukas

I'm excited about the new travel size Rm3d Factum with tilt and shift or swing capability. I also see 2 levels on the block under the finder, a welcome addition for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Downloadable Arca Swiss news 2012 link below.

ARCA-SWISS-Photokina-2012.pdf

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For anyone confused about the "Factum" being a "Fac" plus a "tum" can read a thorough explanation in our RM3Di Factum blog article.

It took me a few minutes to understand as well :-).

As with most Arca engineering it's not necessarily the most intuitive idea in the world, but once you understand it makes perfect sense and is a great highly-inter-compatible way of working.

Basically the "tum" is the tilt-swing module from any current RM3Di and any (just announced) RL3Di. This is added to a "fac" body to create a "factum" - a very compact body body with rise (or shift) and tilt (or swing) on every lens.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Arca Swiss Rock!

It sounds better than interesting, it sounds freaking great.

But until they ship I simply refuse to discuss it (beyond this comment).

The eModule (and now the eModule Cloud) don't exist to me until they are shipping in quantity and I know they are working without issues.

For those of you just "tuning" in the eModule has been a "coming soon" product for a long time with many indications they were "nearly shipping" along the way.

It's the most exciting potential product in tech cameras - but for now that's all I consider it: a potential product.

Come on Arca - ship it!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very cool Photokina announcements across the board from Alpa, Arca and Cambo.

Come on Phase One ... what have you got to make us happy? Bueller? Bueller??
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't want to sound like those fanboys who trash cameras they don't own, but can someone explain to me why the eModule is such a big deal?

As I understand it, the eM measures distance to something, and then you dial its reading unto the lens helicoil. While a more elegant (and cool) solution than a Distometer, how is it more accurate? Especially given that the Distometer allows the user to see exactly what it's measuring.

Post Thanks / Like

Gives you the settings for the lens helical which in Arca land is a number rather than a distance scale. Also think if like the eModule Sonar, gives you the hyperfocal setting for the particular lens mounted to the camera. No programming needed.

Pretty unique in the tech camera world and much more elegant to have this intergrated onto an R camera than a gand held gadget.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I remember correctly, the e-module knows what the helical is set at and so it displays the near and far focus limits as you turn the helical. I don't think it knows what f-stop the lens is set at, but shows a range of near /far for different apertures.

It is VERY nice in principle.

--Matt

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Again, it's not real until they ship it. But on paper (and in the prototypes):

Front-to-back focus situations
    - makes it arbitrarily easy to set the focus to hyperfocal*
    - shows the related near-distance which will be in focus

Isolation focus situations (narrow DOF isolating a particular subject)
    - allows a very specific distance to be set
    - easy readout of the near/far point that will be in focus**

General
    - allows evaluation of these numbers entirely from the rear of the camera, no need to lean over to the front. Given that rise/fall/shift are accessible from the rear of the Arca this means nearly everything can be done from the preferred shooting stance. (this is obviously not life or death, just nice especially for hand-held or faster shooting)

Subject Distance Measuring
    I never found the standard e-module's distance measuring capability to be all that exciting. It could be useful in a narrow range of applications, but I was always confused they made this capability the primary focus (pun intended) of their marketing. The other capabilities listed above are the ones I find so promising. The CLOUD version announced (but again, not real until it's shipping) allows you to isolate a distance visually by means of traditional high-magnification scope focus. That could be really great.

Have I mentioned/cautioned that I'll believe it / endorse it only when I have had several in my hands in 100% full-final-customer-ready form???

*The lens, aperture, offset/calibration of your back, and pixel size are all incorporated into this, taking all the complicated elements out of the equation - just turn the lens until it says "infinity" is the far point of focus

**If isolating a tree for instance it's easy to tell what aperture will be needed to include from the near-side to the far-side of the tree

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some more R factum information:
    The dimensions of the Rm3d factum are the following:

Body only, without VarioFinder attachment, tripodhead plate and Adapter or Ground glass:

13.5 x 14 x 4cm or 5.3 x 5.5 x 1.6"

Body withVarioFinder attachment, tripod-head plate, and ground glass:

13.5 x 18 x 5.5cm or 5.3 x 7 x 2.2"

Weight: 640gr.

Pretty compact!
    US Representative, Arca-Swiss International
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.
    http://www.rodklukas.com/arca-swiss 480-755-3364
    Instagram @arcaswissusa Facebook @arcaswissusa

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So to update my comparison the size/weight of the three compact cameras now available to photographers are:

Cambo RC400:
    Size: 120 x 145mm (W x H) excl. handgrips and tripod mount
    Weight: 500 grams (excl. lens, excl.handgrip, excl. tripod mount)
    Movement: +/- 20mm (total of 40mm)
    Tilt: built-in to most lenses. Rodenstock: Rodenstock: 28mm+, Schneider: 43mm+.

Alpa STC (from Alpa.ch):
    Size: 140 x 146 mm (body only)
    Weight: 580 grams (body only)
    Movement: +/- 18mm (total of 36mm)
    Tilt: available with separate adapter + SB lenses. Rodenstock: 32mm+, Schneider: 60mm+.

Arca Factum
    Size: 135 x 140 mm (body only)
    Weight: 640 grams ("factum" body + Variofinder + Adapter + Tripodhead)
    Movement: +/- 15mm (total of 30mm)
    Tilt: built-in to body. Available on every lens.

Notably the lenses for Arca Swiss are generally lighter weight since the focus mechanism and tilt/swing mechanism is integrated into the body.

Again - main take home is all three are light and compact.
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 16th September 2012 at 11:11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow nice lineup for all three. I'm impressed with both Arca and Cambo coming out with some nice smaller more functional bodies here.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

wow. I think this may be my first tech cam. Like anything Arca, probably have to wait a year for the delivery. :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! This may just be my first Tech cam (if I can sell the remaining kidney). What's the pricing for Arca-Swiss like? I know Alpa is the premium brand and Cambo is a bit of underrated (pricing wise). So is the Arca-Swiss more similar to Alpa or Cambo?

Or to put it plainly, how much is this Factum going to cost :-) (I know not including lens, viewfinder, grip made with the finest rosewood lovingly sanded by Himalayan virgins only on the 5th Sat of the Blue Moon...)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yatlee View Post
    Like anything Arca, probably have to wait a year for the delivery. :-(
    Never found that to be the case and if you do experience problems it's mostly due to the massive demand for their excellent products. Granted the D4 head did experience some early production delays while issues were sorted resulting in a better final product but the head have been shipping for aprox 12 months now and there is still a lengthy waiting list.

IMO its a bit like a builder, never book a quiet one as its ususlly a sign of the quality of their work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    I don't want to sound like those fanboys who trash cameras they don't own, but can someone explain to me why the eModule is such a big deal?

As I understand it, the eM measures distance to something, and then you dial its reading unto the lens helicoil. While a more elegant (and cool) solution than a Distometer, how is it more accurate? Especially given that the Distometer allows the user to see exactly what it's measuring.
    The focus is adjusted and indicated on the emodule simultaneously with your focus adjustment. As you turn the Helical, the depth of field for F5.6-F16 is constantly varied for the distance focused as well.
    The difference in the Cloud is that it is an optical focusing device for checking different objects, even at or near infinity, while still indicating the distance focused and DOF simultaneously.
    They are both cabled connected to the body.
    Rod
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will be attending Photokina, so if you have questions, I will answer email etc. Back on the 24th.
    Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Rod, what I'm not clear on is if the Cloud is an accessory to the eModule or a stand alone device?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Cloud is a different eModule. There are now two announced "eModules":
    - (Traditional/original) eModule with resonance distance measuring
    - eModule Cloud with optical distance measuring

A batch of the traditional eModules is ready to go they say, as soon as the math/performance is perfect.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We have received many inquiries regarding pricing and availability of the new Arca-Swiss products that were announced at Photokina.

We have US list pricing from Arca now.

Factum (both Fac+Tum): US$4,390
    "Fac" Only: US$1890
    EModule: US$1390
    Cloud Module: US$1890

Availability is "soon".

This looks like an especially good deal for anyone who owns an RM3Di already and would like a more compact and portable option.

As a reminder from our Arca Swiss blog the Factum is comprised of a (new) "Fac" body and a "tum" tilt-swing module identical to the one found in the RM3Di and the new RL3Di. That means if you own an RM3Di then you already have a "tum" and only need the $1890 "Fac" body to create a "Factum".

Lance (email)
    It's listed below as of September 27, 2012. Pricing is subject to change without notice, and frequently changes more than once per year to accommodate changes in exchange rate or cost of parts (e.g. last year Copal raised their price on their shutter).
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    The Cloud is a different eModule. There are now two announced "eModules":
    - (Traditional/original) eModule with resonance distance measuring
    - eModule Cloud with optical distance measuring

A batch of the traditional eModules is ready to go they say, as soon as the math/performance is perfect.
    I should ask an Indian tracker to put his ear to the ground.
    Last time I asked him, he said that he heard nothing LOL
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't be cynical, Bob. This is a clear step forward: they used to have only one unavailable version of the eModule, and now they have two.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't be cynical, Bob. This is a clear step forward: they used to have only one unavailable version of the eModule, and now they have two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At least with Alpa we only have to worry about selling off the first born children to afford the gear. But you can actually get it and it does actually work.

(Btw, I confess that I have total admiration for the Arca system ... this is in jest!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love arca gear but at least you Alpa guys have a web site where you can eye-fondle the stuff.
    -bob

P.S.
    That alpenhorn is really annoying LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does anyone know the shift specs on the new RL3di? The brochure states "additional shift capabilities", but I have been unable to see anything specific.

Thanks.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same as the previous RL3D
    +/-20mm shift
    +40mm image-rise*, -20mm image-fall

The difference between the RL3Di and RL3D is that they now use the same "tum" tilt-swing mechanism in the RL3Di as the RM3Di, making all three bodies (RL, RM, "Fac") interchangeable frame-holders for the "tum" module.

So if you buy a R3LDi and a "Fac" frame you can have a relatively large body with a wide range of movements (all on the rear) which is also compatible with 4x5 film in case you ever get the analog bug, AND a very small travel camera with either rise/fall or shift (but not at the same time). Both systems would have tilt with every lens, and the most precise focusing system available on any tech camera platform.

*On this system image-rise is attained by falling the back

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Doug.

"So if you buy a R3LDi and a "Fac" frame you can have a relatively large body with a wide range of movements (all on the rear) which is also compatible with 4x5 film in case you ever get the analog bug, AND a very small travel camera with either rise/fall or shift (but not at the same time). Both systems would have tilt with every lens, and the most precise focusing system available on any tech camera platform"

This is exactly what I was thinking. My main concern with the RM3Di is the 15mm lateral shift limitation, especially when considering lenses like the 60XL.

However, given that the RL3Di, with the compromises of a much bigger/heavier camera, only gives an additional 5mm, I'm thinking the RM3Di, is still the best choice, I can always flip it on it side for additional shift.

Of course, the Cambo gives me the 20/20 lateral, but I keep thinking the helical focus mechanism on the Arca will serve me better.

Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by jagsiva; 20th October 2012 at 09:26. Reason: clarity

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few further thoughts (most of it pure opinion, so of course you'll want to think through if this applies to your priorities/needs/ways-of-shooting):
    - you can use the Alpa rings on many Cambo lenses (there's nothing proprietary about them they are simply attachable rings with more precise distances marked on them). This is not the same as a large-throated helical built into the body, but it gets you closer.
    - The RM3Di on it's side is an excellent option for occasional use. If it was going to be frequent-usage or even most-of-the-time sort of thing I'd suggest getting a body with 20mm of movement (either the RL or Cambo)
    - the pack-size/weight difference of the RL vs. RM won't be a big deal when traveling/carrying/schlepping the gear by hand moderate distances or less. It will be a big deal when carrying the gear long distances by hand, but in such cases the Factum makes more sense than either. Don't you Kayak a lot of your gear around? If so the pack size for the RL won't be that much more, and you can leave it at base-camp when journeying significant distances from base camp (unless you always take everything everywhere - of course I don't know much about the specifics of your travels - only you do). Seems to me an RL+Factum is a great kit... RL anytime you're not overly concerned about size, Factum anytime you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few further thoughts (most of it pure opinion, so of course you'll want to think through if this applies to your priorities/needs/ways-of-shooting):.....
    The Cambo is nice and compact, and the AE looks like its built as well as the Arca or Alpa. I was seriously considering it. If the LV on the IQ was more usable, this would be a no brainer. As it stands, I think LV is quite usable for composing, but I need something more idiot proof for focussing.

I am thinking that I would need accurate focus more often than I would need the extra 5mm, so certainly leaning towards the Arca. My point on RL was that for the extra bulk, it only offers an extra 5mm of travel in each direction. Are there any additional movements in the RL (understand there is an additional 10mm on the rise/fall as well) that would be work considering? Is there any value in the movement for rise/fall being a drop of the back versus a rise of the lens?

If I go the RM route, I am hoping when I occasionally need larger shift, I can just flip the whole camera on its side via my Cube, rather than messing with L-brackets.

My main reason for going tech is to keep things small and compact, not necessarily light. THis is so I can get most of my stuff and a week's worth of "stay-alive" neccessities into a kayak. I have used the DF, but it's bulky, and the wides leave me wanting more for. Worst of it is the mirror/shutter vibrations, that keep haunting me, even with the wireless remote and MUP.

Cheers,
    Last edited by jagsiva; 20th October 2012 at 11:46. Reason: additional point

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    I am thinking that I would need accurate focus more often than I would need the extra 5mm, so certainly leaning towards the Arca. My point on RL was that for the extra bulk, it only offers an extra 5mm of travel in each direction. Are there any additional movements in the RL (understand there is an additional 10mm on the rise/fall as well) that would be work considering?
    Bit more rise/fall, bit more shift, and the ability to use a 4x5 film holder. With the trade-off of moderate increases in size, weight, and cost. Otherwise the same as the RM3Di.

Is there any value in the movement for rise/fall being a drop of the back versus a rise of the lens?
    Absolutely. When the lens moves the point of view changes. If there is anything in the foreground this causes problems/artifacts when stitching (even if you don't think you'll stitch I'd encourage you to keep your mind open in that regard as my experience as a vendor is many users do end up stitching even if they didn't think they would).

For clarity every Arca and the Cambo Wide RS and RC (all versions) have all rise/fall/shift movements on the back of the camera. The way you'd want it.

If I go the RM route, I am hoping when I occasionally need larger shift, I can just flip the whole camera on its side via my Cube, rather than messing with L-brackets.
    This will be no problem at any short shutter speed (e.g. 1/60th).

At longer exposures I'd be concerned with camera stability as the camera will be levered over it's point of support.

My main reason for going tech is to keep things small and compact, not necessarily light. THis is so I can get most of my stuff and a week's worth of "stay-alive" neccessities into a kayak. I have used the DF, but it's bulky, and the wides leave me wanting more for. Worst of it is the mirror/shutter vibrations, that keep haunting me, even with the wireless remote and MUP.
    Sounds like you're after a tech camera for all the right reasons. I agree you'll see major improvements in every area you list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    P.S.
    Sounds like an intermediate signal from the seventies.
    Crappy sounds on the web are usually much less forgiven than crappy pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . . .
    Bob , you can always turn Off your speakers .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    It's also only on the home banner page too ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a thought on the Rm3di...can the Rotaslide add to the lateral shift capabilities, nothwithstanding any image circle limitations of course?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    If I remember...
    but I don't
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I remember...
    but I don't
    -bob
    We all need a little fun . Great .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

solificati

Hi,

I'm evaluating options, and have some doubts. Could someone enlighten me about Arca combatibility? I heard that R lenses can be used on some monorails?

What bodies should I pick, if I want a small tech cam (Factum?), tech cam with more shift capabilities (stitching) and monorail for studio/on location shots with 60-120mm range? Could I use the same 60mm glass on monorail and plate camera?

Thanks in advance.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by solificati View Post
    Hi,

I'm evaluating options, and have some doubts. Could someone enlighten me about Arca combatibility? I heard that R lenses can be used on some monorails?

What bodies should I pick, if I want a small tech cam (Factum?), tech cam with more shift capabilities (stitching) and monorail for studio/on location shots with 60-120mm range? Could I use the same 60mm glass on monorail and plate camera?

Thanks in advance.
    Solificati,

If you're in NY you can come to our booth at the Photo Plus show today and see this solution.

If you're not we can show it to you with our Remote Demo Center: video+audio+screen+rawfile sharing.

In short: the Arca RM3 can be used as a front standard on a full sized Arca view camera. That provides the helical focus mount of the RM3 series and is great for macro and DOF stitching since the focus mechanism is really really precise.

You can also get a lens board for the full sized Arca view cameras which will mount the R-series lenses directly.

So in short: yes you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arca Factum
    Size: 135 x 140 mm (body only)
    Weight: 640 grams ("factum" body + Variofinder + Adapter + Tripodhead)
    Movement: +/- 15mm (total of 30mm)
    Tilt: built-in to body. Available on every lens.
    So I need to buy FAC for $1890 and take out TUM from my RM3Di.

Once I take out TUM, what I do with rest of RM3Di?

I understand Factum's shift mechanism allows horizontal and/or vertical movements of +/- 15mm.

RM3Di allows Vertical Rise/Fall 30/20mm, Lateral Shift 15/15mm?

So any other compromise with Factum except less Vertical Rise/Fall as compared to RM3Di?

Is RotaMount will work with Factum?

Thanks,

Subrata

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still waiting on the new Z2 ball heads.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rotamount is compatible yes.

The factum has ONE direction of movement. You can use that as rise/fall, or rotate the body and use it as shift. The RM3Di has both directions of movement natively.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Doug for the clarification. Then RM3Di's extra bulk justifies.

Subrata

Rotamount is compatible yes.

The factum has ONE direction of movement. You can use that as rise/fall, or rotate the body and use it as shift. The RM3Di has both directions of movement natively.