The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Arca product 2012

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm getting the new ball head over my Z1

ARCA-SWISS
monoball Z2+
Die Kamerabewegung erfolgt daher immer im Lot und ermöglicht
so perfekt zusammensetzbare Panoramaschwenks.
Innovativ in der Konstruktion und universell einsetzbar, vereint der Monoball Z2+ die Vorzüge eines Kugelkopfes mit den guten Eigenschaften eines klassischen 3-Wege-Kopfes.
monoball Z2+
Improved as well, the bigger ballhead Monoball Z2+ is now equiped with a second panning top and additionally, its weight has been reduced considerably.
The Z2+ combines the advantages
of a ballhead with the features of a multiaxial tripod head. The secret hides in a newly designed ball unit which allows an individual and independent control of the x- and the y-axis, with gravity compensation and separate locks.
The upper lever locks the smaller ball in the x-axis ( at 80°; 40°; -40°), whereas the lower lever is locking the bigger ball in the y-axis (at 140°; 90°; -50°).The Monoball Z2+ sports two panning mechanisms, one at the base of the head,
the other, a proper panning top for panoramic photography, is located above the ball allowing perfect and leveled panorama stichings. Innovative and ready for all circumstances the ARCA SWISS monoball Z2+ is a clever synthesis of the advantageous ease of a ballhead and the exacting features of a three-way head.

monoball Z2+
Ausgestattet mit allen Vorzügen des monoball Z2 wurde auch
der Monoball Z2+ wesentlicht modifiziert und hat ein zweites, oberes Panorama erhalten. Seine Masse und sein Gewicht konnten dennoch entscheidend reduziert werden. Der Z2+ nutzt die Vorteile eines Kugelkopfes und erweitert diese mit den Eigenschaften
eines multiaxialen Stativkopfes. Erreicht wird dies durch eine neuartige mechanische Einheit
in Kugel-form. Sie ermöglicht
die unabhängige Bewegung der Kamera in der X- oder Y-Achse, beide Bewegungen haben eine Gravitätskompensation und können mit getrennten Feststellknöpfen fixiert werden. Der obere Feststellknopf fixiert die X-Achse (bei 80°: 40°-40°), während der untere Knopf die Bewegung um
die Y-Achse (bei 140°: 90°-50°) arretiert.Der Monoball Z2+ besitzt zwei Dreheinrichtungen. Das
eine Panorama befindet sich an der Basis des Stativkopfes, das zweite, die eigentliche Panoramaeinrichtung, befindet sich oberhalb der Kugel.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
For anyone confused about the "Factum" being a "Fac" plus a "tum" can read a thorough explanation in our RM3Di Factum blog article.

It took me a few minutes to understand as well :).

As with most Arca engineering it's not necessarily the most intuitive idea in the world, but once you understand it makes perfect sense and is a great highly-inter-compatible way of working.

Basically the "tum" is the tilt-swing module from any current RM3Di and any (just announced) RL3Di. This is added to a "fac" body to create a "factum" - a very compact body body with rise (or shift) and tilt (or swing) on every lens.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Arca Swiss Rock!

Great new products and updates and the eModule Cloud sounds interesting.
It sounds better than interesting, it sounds freaking great.

But until they ship I simply refuse to discuss it (beyond this comment).

The eModule (and now the eModule Cloud) don't exist to me until they are shipping in quantity and I know they are working without issues.

For those of you just "tuning" in the eModule has been a "coming soon" product for a long time with many indications they were "nearly shipping" along the way.

It's the most exciting potential product in tech cameras - but for now that's all I consider it: a potential product.

Come on Arca - ship it!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Very cool Photokina announcements across the board from Alpa, Arca and Cambo.

Come on Phase One ... what have you got to make us happy? Bueller? Bueller??

stephengilbert

I don't want to sound like those fanboys who trash cameras they don't own, but can someone explain to me why the eModule is such a big deal?

As I understand it, the eM measures distance to something, and then you dial its reading unto the lens helicoil. While a more elegant (and cool) solution than a Distometer, how is it more accurate? Especially given that the Distometer allows the user to see exactly what it's measuring.

gazwas

Gives you the settings for the lens helical which in Arca land is a number rather than a distance scale. Also think if like the eModule Sonar, gives you the hyperfocal setting for the particular lens mounted to the camera. No programming needed.

Pretty unique in the tech camera world and much more elegant to have this intergrated onto an R camera than a gand held gadget.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If I remember correctly, the e-module knows what the helical is set at and so it displays the near and far focus limits as you turn the helical. I don't think it knows what f-stop the lens is set at, but shows a range of near /far for different apertures.

It is VERY nice in principle.

--Matt

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Again, it's not real until they ship it. But on paper (and in the prototypes):

Front-to-back focus situations
- makes it arbitrarily easy to set the focus to hyperfocal*
- shows the related near-distance which will be in focus

Isolation focus situations (narrow DOF isolating a particular subject)
- allows a very specific distance to be set
- easy readout of the near/far point that will be in focus**

General
- allows evaluation of these numbers entirely from the rear of the camera, no need to lean over to the front. Given that rise/fall/shift are accessible from the rear of the Arca this means nearly everything can be done from the preferred shooting stance. (this is obviously not life or death, just nice especially for hand-held or faster shooting)

Subject Distance Measuring
I never found the standard e-module's distance measuring capability to be all that exciting. It could be useful in a narrow range of applications, but I was always confused they made this capability the primary focus (pun intended) of their marketing. The other capabilities listed above are the ones I find so promising. The CLOUD version announced (but again, not real until it's shipping) allows you to isolate a distance visually by means of traditional high-magnification scope focus. That could be really great.

Have I mentioned/cautioned that I'll believe it / endorse it only when I have had several in my hands in 100% full-final-customer-ready form???

*The lens, aperture, offset/calibration of your back, and pixel size are all incorporated into this, taking all the complicated elements out of the equation - just turn the lens until it says "infinity" is the far point of focus

**If isolating a tree for instance it's easy to tell what aperture will be needed to include from the near-side to the far-side of the tree

RodK

Some more R factum information:
The dimensions of the Rm3d factum are the following:

Body only, without VarioFinder attachment, tripodhead plate and Adapter or Ground glass:

13.5 x 14 x 4cm or 5.3 x 5.5 x 1.6"

Body withVarioFinder attachment, tripod-head plate, and ground glass:

13.5 x 18 x 5.5cm or 5.3 x 7 x 2.2"

Weight: 640gr.

Pretty compact!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So to update my comparison the size/weight of the three compact cameras now available to photographers are:

Cambo RC400:
Size: 120 x 145mm (W x H) excl. handgrips and tripod mount
Weight: 500 grams (excl. lens, excl.handgrip, excl. tripod mount)
Movement: +/- 20mm (total of 40mm)
Tilt: built-in to most lenses. Rodenstock: Rodenstock: 28mm+, Schneider: 43mm+.

Alpa STC (from Alpa.ch):
Size: 140 x 146 mm (body only)
Weight: 580 grams (body only)
Movement: +/- 18mm (total of 36mm)
Tilt: available with separate adapter + SB lenses. Rodenstock: 32mm+, Schneider: 60mm+.

Arca Factum
Size: 135 x 140 mm (body only)
Weight: 640 grams ("factum" body + Variofinder + Adapter + Tripodhead)
Movement: +/- 15mm (total of 30mm)
Tilt: built-in to body. Available on every lens.

Notably the lenses for Arca Swiss are generally lighter weight since the focus mechanism and tilt/swing mechanism is integrated into the body.

Again - main take home is all three are light and compact.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wow nice lineup for all three. I'm impressed with both Arca and Cambo coming out with some nice smaller more functional bodies here.

yatlee

wow. I think this may be my first tech cam. Like anything Arca, probably have to wait a year for the delivery. :-(

richardman

Sweet! This may just be my first Tech cam (if I can sell the remaining kidney). What's the pricing for Arca-Swiss like? I know Alpa is the premium brand and Cambo is a bit of underrated (pricing wise). So is the Arca-Swiss more similar to Alpa or Cambo?

Or to put it plainly, how much is this Factum going to cost :) (I know not including lens, viewfinder, grip made with the finest rosewood lovingly sanded by Himalayan virgins only on the 5th Sat of the Blue Moon...)

gazwas

Like anything Arca, probably have to wait a year for the delivery. :-(
Never found that to be the case and if you do experience problems it's mostly due to the massive demand for their excellent products. Granted the D4 head did experience some early production delays while issues were sorted resulting in a better final product but the head have been shipping for aprox 12 months now and there is still a lengthy waiting list.

IMO its a bit like a builder, never book a quiet one as its ususlly a sign of the quality of their work.

RodK

I don't want to sound like those fanboys who trash cameras they don't own, but can someone explain to me why the eModule is such a big deal?

As I understand it, the eM measures distance to something, and then you dial its reading unto the lens helicoil. While a more elegant (and cool) solution than a Distometer, how is it more accurate? Especially given that the Distometer allows the user to see exactly what it's measuring.
The focus is adjusted and indicated on the emodule simultaneously with your focus adjustment. As you turn the Helical, the depth of field for F5.6-F16 is constantly varied for the distance focused as well.
The difference in the Cloud is that it is an optical focusing device for checking different objects, even at or near infinity, while still indicating the distance focused and DOF simultaneously.
They are both cabled connected to the body.
Rod