The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Cambo Products

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
...and for you, Graham, that also includes the Alpa FPS, which conveniently has a hand grip for your fingers....

;)

Soooooo, how big is that Pelican roller case of yours....? :LOL:
It is not a pelican case, I hear it is a custom airstream :toocool:

Steve Hendrix

That do seem about half to Alpa STC :shocked:

But come on, the handles look yucky, and especially if in panoramic... they need some stylish mini handles with integrated Arca style QR plates. Good side per pictures... seems the mounting holes at any side of body should permit it to be simple to install ones very own custom machined handles... :D

Big question, is this as good and fine machine as an Alpa... :OT:

Money talks... :facesmack: ... and it is smaller than STC...

Anders, I can assure you the handles are not yucky. The Palissander handle I held in Cologne felt really wonderful. I was told they're still finalizing the finished version for the handles, but other than perhaps adding a bit more "roundness" to the outer portion, and maybe a slightly larger gap for bigger hands, I felt like it was perfect. I liked that it did not have finger spaces.

Is it as good and fine a machine (or machining?) as Alpa? How is that defined? To me - it is defined by the results and the ease with which they are obtained, and the durability of the products. It is defined by functionality. As a clear example, the elegance of the Cambo Tilt/Swing mechanism is excellent and compares very well (if not superior) with competitive products. Ultimately, all of the companies that produce technical cameras can typically boast about an outstanding element to their product design, but none (IMO) have the corner on the entire package. Each is worthy of consideration, and your choice will likely depend on subjective factors that appeal directly to you.

I'll say something else about Cambo. They have the challenge of being an outstanding company that performs their own precise machining in house, and yet, from a branding standpoint are still saddled with the perceived legacy of prior Calumet ownership and a resulting interference of purity in their products during that period, which ended in 2008 with Cambo purchasing their independence.

There is no longer any affiliation between Cambo and Calumet whatsoever, other than perhaps the ability for some Calumet branches to sell Cambo products. Cambo is an entirely independent company with quality standards that are completely independent, specific, and pure to their own intentions and desires, and no one elses (other than their devoted customers).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Having handled most of the leading technical cameras I would agree with Steve that they are all without exception very well built precision systems. Each is different with particular strengths but I've yet to come across anything 'yucky' other than perhaps from stylistic point of view (not sure about those Arca translucent handles myself).

At the end of the day the limiting component with all of them is the person standing behind them firing the shutter. Damn that's frustrating!

Anders_HK

I've yet to come across anything 'yucky' other than perhaps from stylistic point of view
Hey, that was actually not intention of bashing. I do find the WRS-400 extremely interesting and smart how you can attach to all sides of body. However, the look of those handles do not look very good. They are situated too far out from the body. And for panoramic mode of camera there should be available mini handles to attach direct to the body and with Arca Swiss plates in them for camera to be rotated. Just my view... ;)

Alpa STC? It still needs a second handle... and lower price.... plus a better agent for Hong Kong, have they listened??? :banghead:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Anders,

Agree on the STC pricing although not the handle. If you want two handles on the STC then you're using the wrong camera IMHO because it isn't great handheld. Just use a TC or invest in a WA or SWA.

As regards the dealer, well that I suspect is a situation best served by maybe scheduling a flight to the Europe/US for a week or so of vacation and picking up along the way your Alpa goodies. I'd vote with your wallet.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I am interested to learn more about the prototype Cambo that was listed on the Photokina blog that is going to have 60 mm of rise/fall and 50 mm of shift.

Talk about the ability to do some stitching.....

lance_schad

Workshop Member
We just received our RC400 demo unit and it is a nice little unit. It will be on display at PhotoPlus NYC this week and available for demo after.
Please look forward to our hands on review shortly.

Lance (email me)