Site Sponsors

Thread: New Cambo Products

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New Cambo Products

We're blogging in real-time as we get updates about some new and updated Cambo products:

Cambo WRS1200 and WRS1250: An update to the RS incorporating several functional and design improvements
    Cambo WRS-400: A drastically updated Cambo Wide Compact
    Cambo WRS-5000: A big-brother to the Cambo Wide RS with 5mm more lateral shift

Last edited by dougpeterson; 15th September 2012 at 09:39.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Cambo Products

If you have any questions we have a meeting with Cambo and would be glad to get direct answers for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Doug,

is WRS-5000 going to have additional 5mm shift each way? 50mm total shift and 50mm total rise and fall?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No. 5mm of additional lateral shift.

I suppose with a large L-bracket or letting the camera flop over on a tripod head would let you use that as rise/fall.

Note though that all three RS bodies (1200, 1250, and 5000) have 25mm of image-rise (by dropping the back and keeping the lens stationary) and 15mm of image-fall (by raising the back and keeping the lens stationary).

Now interestingly it looks to me like the two accessory port-holes Cambo has on the RS1200/1250 and RC400 have the ability to accept a tripod-mount block. That would imply you could flip the RS1200/1250 (and maybe the 5000) upside-down to use the 25mm in the image-fall direction (e.g. to shoot a deep canyon)

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn these are nice upgrades for sure. I love the little compact and you can get some movements with it. That is a great addition .

Nice job Cambo. The 1250 is like the AE model pretty much. Glad they took at least some of those features from the AE and put it in other models the bigger knobs are certainly a welcome addition to the line.

Doug find out shipping data on each and estimated prices. Members would appreciate that.

One of the best Photokinia announcements so far. I'm impressed
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm happy with the WRS AE (no buyer's remorse here), but that RC-400... VERY tempting....
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes the AE is just gorgeous no question and one should not have any buyers remorse on it. Sellers remorse YES. LOL

The compact is very cool and sorry little TC but you just got beat up to a pulp . This thing moves. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't see how the RC400 competes with the TC. You're not comparing like with like.

Shouldn't the comparison be with the STC?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The STC does seem like a more direct comparison.

Though the specs on the RC400 are small and light enough that I'd put the TC, STC, and RC400 all in the same league with the new Arca Swiss Factum sitting at least in the same ballpark.

Clearly this is an EXCELLENT Photokina for anyone looking for a compact wide-angle body with movements.

edit: I'm a bit surprised but the the updated specs on the Arca the Factum is not just in the same ballpark but directly comparable in size/weight.
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 16th September 2012 at 11:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually in a way now it is the STC . Kind of scary this thing will not be vey expensive in my mind. I think the original Compact was 1200 dollars. BTW I did own the Alpa TC back when and loved that little thing but it was limited. This is cool if you need to shift or do rise and fall and only one or the other. It adds flexibility which the old compact did nothing. Might also be a very cheap way to get into tech cams on a budget

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Clearly this is an EXCELLENT Photokina for anyone looking for a compact wide-angle body with movements.
    You can say that again twice. Alpa, Arca and Cambo really have done well this year. Excited for all 3 of them.

Post Thanks / Like

The STC does seem like a more direct comparison.

Though the specs on the RC400 are small and light enough that I'd put the TC, STC, and RC400 all in the same league with the new Arca Swiss Factum sitting at least in the same ballpark.

Can you share the dimensions and weight of the RC400? It certainly looks a lot bigger than the TC in that photo, but it could be the lens mount deceiving things.

Post Thanks / Like

Once apon a time Arca and Alpa were considered equals with Cambo rightly or wrongly considered the less regarded texh camera manufacturer. However with these new updates, I would say all are now on par..... a difficult decision for any new buyer.

Alpa's anouncement was ok, Arca was really interesting but Cambo cleared the park. Good times for tech users!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Once apon a time Arca and Alpa were considered equals with Cambo rightly or wrongly considered the less regarded texh camera manufacturer. However with these new updates, I would say all are now on par..... a difficult decision for any new buyer.

Alpa's anouncement was ok, Arca was really interesting but Cambo cleared the park. Good times for tech users!
    Maybe Cambo will get the respect they deserve. I owned it and loved the AE Model. I helped a lot of people buy into Cambo as well.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Can you share the dimensions and weight of the RC400? It certainly looks a lot bigger than the TC in that photo, but it could be the lens mount deceiving things.
    Cambo RC400:
    Size: 120 x 145mm (W x H) excl. handgrips and tripod mount
    Weight: 500 grams (excl. lens, excl.handgrip, excl. tripod mount)
    Movement: +/- 20mm (total of 40mm)
    Tilt: built-in to most lenses. Rodenstock: Rodenstock: 28mm+, Schneider: 43mm+.

Alpa STC (from Alpa.ch):
    Size: 140 x 146 mm (body only)
    Weight: 580 grams (body only)
    Movement: +/- 18mm (total of 36mm)
    Tilt: available with separate adapter + SB lenses. Rodenstock: 32mm+, Schneider: 60mm+.

Arca Factum
    Size: 135 x 140 mm (body only)
    Weight: 640 grams ("factum" body + Variofinder + Adapter + TripodMount)
    Movement: +/- 15mm (total of 30mm)
    Tilt: built-in to body. Available on every lens.

So on spec the Cambo is 20mm less wide, basically the same height, and 80 grams less than the Alpa while offering 2mm more movement in each direction (4mm more of total movement).

But as we all know spec sheets only ever tell part of the story. Both systems have optional handles, measure their weights without the adapter plate, have different lens mounts and viewfinders that have different weights, sizes, and layouts. Moreover Cambo's lens panel can contain a Tilt-Shift mechanism where Alpa uses a separate TS adapter in between the lens and body.

But clearly both cameras are in the same league: light, compact tech cameras of high quality with one direction of movement and compatibility with the lens panels of their respective bigger brothers.

Likely the weight/size of the two is close enough in practice (with back/adapter/lens/accessories mounted) that prospective clients will choose based on other factors like ergonomics of the grip, balance in the hand, ease of using the shift, range of movement, initial cost, cost of accessories/lenses, and the other bodies in their respective systems (since there is a great deal of intra-system compatibility).

If size/weight is important you'd want to get the size/weight of the system with all the bits that you personally plan on using. We'd be happy to arrange that for anyone looking at a Cambo.
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 16th September 2012 at 11:11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Be nice to compare the new Arca in this mix. Most likely these three represent the smallest packages with some movements. We never had these kinds of smaller tech cam options in all three before. Great stuff

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll see if I can get the size/weight of the Arca to compare.

One hard-to-compare element for Arca vs. anyone else is that the tilt and focus are built into the body, so the body is inherently heavier but the lens is inherently lighter. Will it be net lighter or net heavier - not clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Probably weight is all relative but size may matter to most.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have any questions we have a meeting with Cambo and would be glad to get direct answers for you.
    Doug,

What is weight of WRS-5000 ?

It seems else a WRS-400 with an extra 5mm sticth would have been very ideal for panoramic stitching for 645 sensors and a low weight of camera to carry on hikes. Mere 20mm is not making most of 645 sensors, wich seem a shame since 645 sensors can be assumed to become the future norm for physical size of sensors, Any chance Cambo would consider adding extra 5mm shift to WRS-400???

Prices WRS-5000 vs WRS-400?

What is material of fabrication, duralumin (air craft grade aluminum) or regular aluminum?

What tolerance of fabrication, and what warranty of tolerance of camera system, including plane of shifting mechanisms?

Any roller bearings used for sliding at shift, or what specific rail mechanism?

Also, with Alpa STC one can very quick move from leftmost shift to rightmost. How about on Cambos in comparison?

Importantly compared to Alpa, is there a provision from Cambo to shim the back for perfecting depth of focus for the individual back?

Lastly, it seems these need threaded hole for attaching arca swiss type plates without need for the tripod block. Can Canbo please provide? Also, seems WRS-400 shift wheel is made for left-handed use??

Appreciate if you can get the replies from Cambo. Thanks!

Best regards,
    Anders
    Last edited by Anders_HK; 15th September 2012 at 21:31.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

W-RC400 looks like a great addition. Forgo the handles and just put a tripod mount on both axis and you've got one heck of a compact technical camera system.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    Doug,

What is weight of WRS-5000 ?

[other questions]

Appreciate if you can get the replies from Cambo. Thanks!

Best regards,
    Anders
    I will present all of these questions and hopefully get answers to all of them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    W-RC400 looks like a great addition. Forgo the handles and just put a tripod mount on both axis and you've got one heck of a compact technical camera system.
    Exactly my thoughts and add the TS mounts and your good for almost anything . Obviously you lose rise and fall function when stitching but I could deal with that. I use rise and fall on almost everything and stitch very little. But you can say rise 5mm and do panos to get around that. Seriously this maybe the new cheap way in to buying a tech cam. Someone was thinking here.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Seriously this maybe the new cheap way in to buying a tech cam.
    Sadly, the camera body is the least expensive component. Oh, I'm excited about the new bodies, but I'm still reeling from the DB price - and for such a small sensor!

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol don't forget those lenses too bud. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Image of the Cambo WRS-5000, taken from our initial blog post from Cologne:

New Cambo Wide Announcements

If you click the blog link above, you'll see it has a larger, more detailed image for viewing, compared to what I have attached below.

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Image of the Cambo WRS-5000, taken from our initial blog post from Cologne...
    Photo seems to beg to me the question for panoramic stitching, why not also the WRS-400 offer +/-25mm shift... clear would set apart from rest... or even a +/-33mm version for a digital 3:1 (617) camera...

Handle so big gives no reason to use with that handle, or to simply replace by two compact home milled ones... else really cool small and hopefully irrisistably good priced...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The weight of the camera body is the perhaps the smallest part of the load.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Be nice to compare the new Arca in this mix. Most likely these three represent the smallest packages with some movements. We never had these kinds of smaller tech cam options in all three before. Great stuff
    Yes, exactly! I am very excited in the direction technical cameras are going. I vote this to be the year of the tech camera! I am looking down at my Think Tank Glass Taxi, stashed with four lenses, the STC, a Phase back, one adapter, Disto and all the extra stuff.

It is a relatively small bag and I can walk for miles with it. Lots of people think MF is too big and heavy. BS!!

Now the same can be done with Arca and Cambo.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used the Glass taxi also. Perfect bag for tech

Post Thanks / Like

That WRS 5000 looks like the WRS AE on steroids.

Any idea on pricing? I'm guessing $6k - $7k ish?
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. Shame the WRS 5000 (actually all of them) don't feature a rotating back - so the sensor can be rotated without having to remove the DB.
    One of the things I like about the Wide DS is that I've put a quick release plate on the handle - which has a tripod mounting point - so I can turn the camera really quickly risk-free.
    Lighter and smaller is definitely moving in the right direction though. And those wooden handles look pretty nice to me - compared with the plywood of the DS!

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,

Are these Cambos made in Netherlands or where?

Thanks

Best regards,
    Anders

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are these Cambos made in Netherlands or where?
    Yes. Made at Cambo, by Cambo in the Netherlands.

Unlike other companies the milling/manufacturer is not outsourced to any other company but is done 100% in house. (naturally the lenses and sub-components like the shutter are sourced from their respective manufacturers)

Cambo's machining and manufacturer is really really good. The cost is kept low(er than the competition) as their manufacturing facilities are also used to produce their line of high-end video-dSLR accessories, camera stands, view cameras, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Any more info on these?

A video would be great! Anyone?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We have US list pricing from Cambo now. It's listed below as of September 27, 2012. Pricing is subject to change without notice, and frequently changes more than once per year to accommodate changes in exchange rate or cost of parts (e.g. last year Copal raised their price on their shutter).

Lenses for WRS, WRC, WDS:
    - New Rodenstock 90mm HR-SW for Wide DS/RS [standard]: US$6799
    - New Rodenstock 90mm HR-SW for Wide DS/RS [tilt-shift]: US$8148

WRS
    - New WRS-1200 (Metal Grips): US$2895*
    - New WRS-1250 (Wooden Grips): US$3795*
    - New WRS-5000 (Palissander Wood Grips): US$4999*
    - New WRS-5000 (Ebony Wood Grips): US$5099*

WRC
    - New WRC-400: US$2289
    ---- Optional Wooden Hand Grip: US$366
    ---- Optional Compatible QR Tripod Mount plate: US$185

*Does not include required adapter plate (US$475-575) or optional viewfinder (US$929)

For a review of specs check out our Cambo RS and RC Photokina Blog.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They have also indicated they will be creating at least one other hand grip option for the WRC in 2013. It would be interchangeable with the currently offered grip.

Post Thanks / Like

- New WRC-400: US$2289
    That do seem about half to Alpa STC

But come on, the handles look yucky, and especially if in panoramic... they need some stylish mini handles with integrated Arca style QR plates. Good side per pictures... seems the mounting holes at any side of body should permit it to be simple to install ones very own custom machined handles...

Big question, is this as good and fine machine as an Alpa...

Money talks... ... and it is smaller than STC...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With more range of movement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now you do realize that you'd only be able to prise a TC or STC from an Alpa user's cold dead fingers don't you?

Post Thanks / Like

Now you do realize that you'd only be able to prise a TC or STC from an Alpa user's cold dead fingers don't you?
    ...and for you, Graham, that also includes the Alpa FPS, which conveniently has a hand grip for your fingers....

Soooooo, how big is that Pelican roller case of yours....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    ...and for you, Graham, that also includes the Alpa FPS, which conveniently has a hand grip for your fingers....

Soooooo, how big is that Pelican roller case of yours....?
    It is not a pelican case, I hear it is a custom airstream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That do seem about half to Alpa STC

But come on, the handles look yucky, and especially if in panoramic... they need some stylish mini handles with integrated Arca style QR plates. Good side per pictures... seems the mounting holes at any side of body should permit it to be simple to install ones very own custom machined handles...

Anders, I can assure you the handles are not yucky. The Palissander handle I held in Cologne felt really wonderful. I was told they're still finalizing the finished version for the handles, but other than perhaps adding a bit more "roundness" to the outer portion, and maybe a slightly larger gap for bigger hands, I felt like it was perfect. I liked that it did not have finger spaces.

Is it as good and fine a machine (or machining?) as Alpa? How is that defined? To me - it is defined by the results and the ease with which they are obtained, and the durability of the products. It is defined by functionality. As a clear example, the elegance of the Cambo Tilt/Swing mechanism is excellent and compares very well (if not superior) with competitive products. Ultimately, all of the companies that produce technical cameras can typically boast about an outstanding element to their product design, but none (IMO) have the corner on the entire package. Each is worthy of consideration, and your choice will likely depend on subjective factors that appeal directly to you.

I'll say something else about Cambo. They have the challenge of being an outstanding company that performs their own precise machining in house, and yet, from a branding standpoint are still saddled with the perceived legacy of prior Calumet ownership and a resulting interference of purity in their products during that period, which ended in 2008 with Cambo purchasing their independence.

There is no longer any affiliation between Cambo and Calumet whatsoever, other than perhaps the ability for some Calumet branches to sell Cambo products. Cambo is an entirely independent company with quality standards that are completely independent, specific, and pure to their own intentions and desires, and no one elses (other than their devoted customers).

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having handled most of the leading technical cameras I would agree with Steve that they are all without exception very well built precision systems. Each is different with particular strengths but I've yet to come across anything 'yucky' other than perhaps from stylistic point of view (not sure about those Arca translucent handles myself).

At the end of the day the limiting component with all of them is the person standing behind them firing the shutter. Damn that's frustrating!

Post Thanks / Like

I've yet to come across anything 'yucky' other than perhaps from stylistic point of view
    Hey, that was actually not intention of bashing. I do find the WRS-400 extremely interesting and smart how you can attach to all sides of body. However, the look of those handles do not look very good. They are situated too far out from the body. And for panoramic mode of camera there should be available mini handles to attach direct to the body and with Arca Swiss plates in them for camera to be rotated. Just my view...

Alpa STC? It still needs a second handle... and lower price.... plus a better agent for Hong Kong, have they listened???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anders,

Agree on the STC pricing although not the handle. If you want two handles on the STC then you're using the wrong camera IMHO because it isn't great handheld. Just use a TC or invest in a WA or SWA.

As regards the dealer, well that I suspect is a situation best served by maybe scheduling a flight to the Europe/US for a week or so of vacation and picking up along the way your Alpa goodies. I'd vote with your wallet.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd vote with your wallet.
    Wallet replies; take time in decision, think careful

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

expensive lenses! almost double of previous versions

Post Thanks / Like

I am interested to learn more about the prototype Cambo that was listed on the Photokina blog that is going to have 60 mm of rise/fall and 50 mm of shift.

Talk about the ability to do some stitching.....
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We just received our RC400 demo unit and it is a nice little unit. It will be on display at PhotoPlus NYC this week and available for demo after.
    Please look forward to our hands on review shortly.

Lance (email me)
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lance or Doug, any indication when the Cambo RS6000 will be out? Thanks, Harshan