The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Photokinia Press Release

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 28 LS to switch gears here is awesome for interior shooters mixing flash with daylight coming in. For the none tech users this is nice. I shot a whole house with the 28 awhile back before I had a tech cam and I would loved having this option for higher flash sync. 1/125 does not cut it and you have to throw a lot of juice at it to mix better. This keeps the power down and you can pretty much dial in however dark you want or not with a high sync speed for the daylight.

jlm

Workshop Member
Last time I spoke to Phase techs, they indicated that while consumers may look at Photokina for the timing of releases, upgrades, etc. Phase does not, preferring to release when ready.

gazwas

Last time I spoke to Phase techs, they indicated that while consumers may look at Photokina for the timing of releases, upgrades, etc. Phase does not, preferring to release when ready.
So the DF+ is a mirage then?........ Phew! :grin:

Christopher

Funny, this this announcement they show that it isn't true at all.... If the actually would not look at photokina, they would instead of showing a DF+ version, keep on working and present a real camera once ready. However, phase fears to show nothing new on such a big event and so we see a refined crappy camera.

I mean really ? I don't see ANYTHING to justify spending 4k on this camera. If I had a DF and not an AF, I would see even LESS.

stephengilbert

"[Don] happened to be in Atlanta when CI got the shipment and helped open the boxes in March." This belongs in an image thread: did they want Don's help, or were they unable to stop him? Was there a Christmas tree, and a pile of boxes?

gazwas

No Phase One sponsored/official body upgrade pricing.
When they don't sell any, that may change........ ;)

Unless as the week rolls on, more info surfaces about the HUGH improvements to AF etc, I sit here inbetween shooting some product images with my DF and 120 macro thinking who on earth is going to upgrade from DF to DF+?

Don Libby

"[Don] happened to be in Atlanta when CI got the shipment and helped open the boxes in March." This belongs in an image thread: did they want Don's help, or were they unable to stop him? Was there a Christmas tree, and a pile of boxes?
That's my story and I'm sticking to it (on advice of counsel)......

EH21

Huh? Is this the new Phase body that has been in the rumor mill for more than a year?

Doug or anyone ... can you tell us if they have done anything about the mirror vibration? What about the viewfinder black out times?

How about the sync speed for non ls lenses?

Is there a possibility to upgrade the body like with the Hy6 instead of having to buy a whole new one?

kdphotography

All I heard was that Don brought his own box cutter and they couldn't stop him...

:eek: :D

Very vague announcement that is not helpful without hands-on experience. If the improvements are just "polish" then I'll stay with my current DF with the Lithium battery insert. This (lithium battery) is a must-have/must-do no matter what with this platform, imho. If the improvement in AF performance is similar to the big jump in capability that we saw from the 645AF body to the 645DF body, then you can pretty much count me in----especially if there is an attractive trade-in program for current DF owners. (Is Phase listening???) :p

I just want to be able to do my job easier and faster when using the DF and IQ180 combination, and any improvements are welcome. I absolutely love my Cambo WRS, and though I love the recent Cambo announcements, won't be doing anything in the tech camera arena except maybe looking more closely at the newly announced Rodie 90mm. What I'd really like to see is a Canon answer to the Nikon D800. That's the 64,000 dollar question for me. The ultimate marriage, imho, is the Phase IQ160 or IQ180 MFDB (with DF and tech platforms) complemented by the Nikon D800. I'm firmly entrenched with Canon, so I want that ultimate complement too.

Bring out the real-world comparisons with the DF+. That's what I want to see. And with the new 28mm LS too----that's the other weak point with the platform, and imho, is the (previous) lack of a stellar wide angle solution has helped to drive tech camera sales. I'd like to see an updated stellar SK 35mm LS....

ken

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If you happen to have a well behaved DF then it really does shoot just fine once you get the hang of it.
AF is if a bit vague and I have had my body tuned up ay mac. After that tune up, it has been humming along just fine.
What would make me happy is more AF points like one up around eye lever shooting a full length and portrait 9 would do nicely, one with options for the weird bracket which did noting good, is just funky.
Speed would be good too, but that would need more horsepower in the motor I guess.
I really need to see some details to figure this out.
As for reliability I can think of a few things that could be better like:
focus motor run-away
locking up with the shutter open.

At least with the DF they fixed the rubber coming off the grip issue that I had with the AFD :ROTFL:
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously I need one in-hand so that I might report a real user experience :angel:
-bob

gazwas

Camera wows aside, I'm more disappointed we didn't get Capture One 7 announced today with some cool new features and a big performance boost to the speed of drawing in adjustment layers.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Camera wows aside, I'm more disappointed we didn't get Capture One 7 announced today with some cool new features and a big performance boost to the speed of drawing in adjustment layers.
Patience Grasshopper. I wish I could say more but I cannot. :) :) :)

Paul2660

Did any see if on the DF+, there is a way to disable the internal shutter when using a leaf shutter lens. This has always been a problem with the current DF in that you have to fire both shutters.

Paul