The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Photokinia Press Release

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Just a quick question:
is the DF + (does that stand for dumbfounded?) USB 3 compatible?
USB3 is provided by the back, not the body.

When USB3 is enabled on the IQ and Credo it will work regardless of what body (DF+, DF, H4X, Contax, RZ, Tech Cam, View Cam, Pinhole Cam, Aerial body etc etc). Phase is now saying before end of year - we'll see.

kipling

When USB3 is enabled on the IQ and Credo it will work regardless of what body (DF+, DF, H4X, Contax, RZ, Tech Cam, View Cam, Pinhole Cam, Aerial body etc etc). Phase is now saying before end of year - we'll see.
I know Doug, I was just joking around.
Anyway, thanks for reminding me what the extra whole in my IQ back is for, I've been using it as a cigarette holder for so long now, I forgot what it was.

gerald.d

Doug - you've missed out a word between "of", and "year".

Hopefully, it's "this" and not "next" ;)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Did any see if on the DF+, there is a way to disable the internal shutter when using a leaf shutter lens. This has always been a problem with the current DF in that you have to fire both shutters.

Paul
That would be appreciated.
Much better to have a snick than a KER_CHUNK-snick-KAFLOP-BAM
-bob

Christopher

If true it sounds so much better "The new format Hasselblad will CSC, rounded shapes ... A kind of luxury NEX" If done right it could be a killer product. (If they get the price right)

And back to phase, I am REALLY surprised there is no C1v7 at kina :mad:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The current eyecup no longer falls out since it now locks on.
Replacements for the older style have been available for awhile.
Question on the AF adjustments.
Is that a global adjustment or is it lens dependent?
It would be NICEST if it were both a global offset as well as a per lens offset which would be summed.
-bob
The user controllable focus calibration is
- PER back
- PER lens
- PER body

So if you have two backs, two bodies, and five lenses you can make sure that any combination is perfectly matched. No trip to the factory

While in five years I've only had a handful of customers send their gear in for focus calibration issues I certainly welcome this as a great step forward. It gives all the promised benefits of a closed system where the body+back are locked together in firmware while keeping all the benefits of an open system where you can use any body (new/used/borrowed/rented) with any back (new/used/borrowed/rented).

Now I just need confirmation which lenses and backs will support this feature. That's the sort of nitty gritty I'm not sure we'll get an answer to until closer to shipping date.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The user controllable focus calibration is
- PER back
- PER lens
- PER body

So if you have two backs, two bodies, and five lenses you can make sure that any combination is perfectly matched. No trip to the factory

While in five years I've only had a handful of customers send their gear in for focus calibration issues I certainly welcome this as a great step forward. It gives all the promised benefits of a closed system where the body+back are locked together in firmware while keeping all the benefits of an open system where you can use any body (new/used/borrowed/rented) with any back (new/used/borrowed/rented).

Now I just need confirmation which lenses and backs will support this feature. That's the sort of nitty gritty I'm not sure we'll get an answer to until closer to shipping date.
Nice!
-bob

gerald.d

A lot of the features of the DF+ (especially the micro-focus adjustment) sound like the kind of things that typically one might expect from a firmware upgrade.

Any news on which, if any, might make it into a firmware upgrade for the DF? This kind of thing will be known at P1. Have they shared anything?

Christopher

Do you really think any of these new features will come via firmware ? I would say none or do you think they would actually spoil the last tiny reasons to upgrade...

gerald.d

Christopher -

Here's a quote from Phase One's own forums, from June this year:

Customer: Does that mean that todays DF cameras will get obsolete as the technology progresses? That just makes Mamiya/Phase one a bad investment!! Please tell me thats not so as I love the cameras....

Phase One: To be fair, every piece of technology will become obsolete eventually. With the DF, it was built quickly after the AF as it was clear we could not take the AF in the direction we would like, as fast as we would like. The DF was built to be much more flexible as future products are released and technology advances.

(my emphasis)

So yes, on that basis, I'd say a DF owner would be perfectly entitled to expect some firmware upgrades.

Christopher

I do understand you and I think it would be the right step, but Phase One wants 4k for this "NEW" camera.. So I think there won't be many updates for existing customers.

Sometimes I'm not sure if Phase has everything under control on Hardware/Firmware level. (Just take a look at the LOOOOOONG overdue USB support for IQ backs ...)

gerald.d

4K makes sense though. It replaces the DF. Improves upon it. And is the same price.

It makes sense for new customers.

I don't imagine Phase will be expecting that many existing DF owners to upgrade. They're pretty smart people there, I'm sure.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
When you buy a back today at least here in the US it usually is a 4k option to get a DF and 80mm LS lens. I bet this will not change one thing with the DF+.

Once again the prices quoted are MSRP. Suggested retail pricing, does not mean you will pay that. My car has a MSRP of 52,000k new and trust me I would not pay that from a dealer. Pricing is very variable here on several factors, location, trades, dealers, upgrades and bundles. Again I would get with a dealer if your in the market.