Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Phase One Photokinia Press Release

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arrow Phase One Photokinia Press Release

Phase One introduces the world’s most versatile camera platform for high-end photography

Introducing the Phase One 645DF+ camera platform and Schneider Kreuznach 28mm LS f/4.5 Aspherical lens

COPENHAGEN, September 17, 2012 — Phase One, the world’s leader in open-platform, high-end camera systems and solutions, today announced the world’s most versatile camera platform for high-end photography.

With support for more than 50 different digital medium format digital backs and 80 different lenses from leading brands, and featuring a new high-powered rechargeable Li-ion battery enabling up to 10,000 captures on a single charge, the new Phase One 645DF+ camera sets a new standard for professional performance.

The Phase One 645DF+ builds on the success of previous generations of the camera and has undergone a complete overhaul of all moving parts to produce a camera with the highest uptime in the market of high-end photography.

An enhanced auto-focus delivers accurately focused images fast, even when shooting in low light or low contrast. And with an all-new custom adjustment feature photographers can fine-tune the alignment of digital backs to the camera. With this photographers can easily match their focus preference.

Also today, Phase One announced the Schneider Kreuznach 28mm LS f/4.5 Aspherical lens. With superb edge-to-edge sharpness, a viewing angle of 102°, a minimum focusing distance of only 35 cm / 1.15 feet and fast flash synchronization capabilities up to 1/1600s, it is ideal for interior photography. It is also a perfect companion for landscape, architecture and cityscape images.

“Phase One’s newest products are designed to give photographers the tools they need to improve their creativity and productivity,” said Jan H. Christiansen, marketing director, Phase One. “Phase One is committed to a collaborative, open approach in digital imaging. Together with our partners and customers, we are opening new possibilities in creative excellence.“

The 645DF+ is one of only a few cameras on the market that supports both focal plane and leaf shutter lenses. Its range extends from exposures of up to 60 minutes to as fast as 1/4000s. It facilitates flash synchronization speeds of up to 1/1600s with leaf shutter lenses from Schneider Kreuznach

The Phase One 645DF+ builds on a highly reliable, proven technology platform comprising quality components designed for the demanding professional workflows. The core body of the 645DF+ camera is primarily aircraft grade aluminum and magnesium. In combination with fine-tuned mechanics, state-of-the-art electronics and great ergonomics, this ensures a highly durable product, matching the most demanding requirements of the worlds’ leading photographers.

Availability and pricing
    The Phase One 645DF+ camera body is priced at 4290 EUR / 5990 USD. It is also available under the Mamiya Leaf brand name (see today’s related announcement). The Schneider Kreuznach 28 LS lens is priced at 4290 EUR / 5990 USD. Both the camera and lens are available for ordering now; volume shipping begins in October 2012.

The rechargeable Li-ion battery and charger comes at no additional cost with the 645DF+. A kit consisting of two batteries and a charger can also be purchased stand-alone and used together with the 645DF+ or 645DF camera. This kit costs 560 EUR / 690 USD. The battery kit is available for ordering now and volume shipping will start in October 2012.

The Phase One 645DF+ camera body is also available in various bundles with a variety of lenses and digital backs from Phase One. For more details, please see your nearest Phase One dealer: Phase One partner locator

About Phase One
    Phase One is the world’s leader in open-platform, high-end camera systems and solutions. Phase One cameras, digital backs and lenses are designed to deliver superior quality image capture and investment value. Phase One’s Capture One and Media Pro software help streamline capture and post-production processes for both medium format and DSLR cameras. Phase One products are known for their quality, flexibility and speed enabling pro photographers shooting in a wide range of formats to achieve their creative visions without compromise.

For more information, please visit Phase One at Camera systems | Raw converter for leading cameras Follow Phase One on Twitter at Phase One (PhaseOneWW) on Twitter and on Facebook at: Phase One | Facebook

Phase One is an employee-owned company based in Copenhagen with offices in New York, London, Tokyo, Cologne, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Sydney, and Tel Aviv.

Phase One and Capture One are registered trademarks of Phase One A/S. All other brand or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

# # #

DF+ with 28 LS lens

28 LS lens

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase One Photokinia Press Release

Forgive me for being overly negative. Is the 645DF+ camera just an enhancement to the battery, some sort of shimming mechanism and auto focus? For almost $6k.

I bet the eye cup still falls off when you turn it upside down or put it in a bag. Certainly looks like the same one from the photo.

Please say this is not the only Phase One announcement for Photokina.

If it is, au revoir Phase One.

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad just smiled.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

another update of a lame horse...
    how many 'enhanced auto-focus' have we got already?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Currently not much more than the press release, but here is our blog entry on the Phase One DF+ and Schneider 28mm LS.

We will update them as we get additional information. Feel free to ask questions and we'll do our best to get answers during the show.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First notable detail:
    - User customizable AF Fine Tuning

Post Thanks / Like

Hahahaha. I'd rather get a Canon 1DX for that price.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Next notable detail, the 28mm LS is shipping now. Sounds saleish, but if this is a lens you want, I'd put your order it this morning. Since it's actually shipping and is (by far) the widest LS lens available for the platform I expect the back-log to form quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

seriously disappointing.

my dealer told me almost a year ago that phase was working on a revolutionary new camera. he was told by phase one that it would be a completely new camera and ground breaking.

are you kidding me?

the diddle daddle crap af has been improved on and a new battery?
    how could they not improve on the af? if it works at all it could be considered an improvement.

I love the backs and the software, but this it's like what? the 23rd mamiya 645 that still sucks *****

unbelievable.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kipling View Post
    my dealer told me almost a year ago that phase was working on a revolutionary new camera. he was told by phase one that it would be a completely new camera and ground breaking.

are you kidding me?

the diddle daddle crap af has been improved on and a new battery?
    how could they not improve on the af? if it works at all it could be considered an improvement.
    When the 65+ shipped people were disappointed the LCD and user interface hadn't been improved. But the revolutionary IQ was in development long before the 65+ shipped. Revolutions can take a while :-).

Assuming it performs as indicated the Phase One DF+ body is now more robust, reliable, and has a few nice features (e.g. AF fine tune), today as compared to yesterday and is the same price as the DF was. Not a revolution, but a solid improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6 View Post
    Forgive me for being overly negative. Is the 645DF+ camera just an enhancement to the battery, some sort of shimming mechanism and auto focus? For almost $6k.

I bet the eye cup still falls off when you turn it upside down or put it in a bag. Certainly looks like the same one from the photo.

Please say this is not the only Phase One announcement for Photokina.

If it is, au revoir Phase One.
    Shimming seems highly unlikely to me. I suspect it's just a micro-focus adjustment in the AF algorithm.

Post Thanks / Like

I am all in on Phase gear. I shoot portraits and so this is always going to be my angle when I look at gear.

It sounds like Phase have taken an existing camera with known and documented issues, put in a limited amount of investment and made small improvements. Now they are looking to charge full $$$ for the privilege of owning it.

I love Phase backs, they are fantastic. Its the bit that sits in front that makes an amazing company look cheap and nasty. If Phase can't see that they have no hope.

Post Thanks / Like

560 EUR for the recargable battery when you can purchase the EJJI branded original for 430 EUR.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All I know is the AF is greatly improved and reliability has been also greatly improved and all issues addressed.

I would NOT put full stock in the pricing. This will come down to dealers and such. Like anything else this is MSRP. I'm sure as the days roll on we will hear more details from our dealers.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

I like that Phase One was listening about the rechargeable lithium battery insert being "standard equipment" as opposed to the current optional purchase. This new battery is that good. If anything, the inconsistency of AA battery power was the achilles heel of the platform, imho. The lithium battery insert for the DF solves this.

I think it's easy to be impatient in this world of fast moving tech---"I want it now" type attitude. I'm happy with the current DF platform, and look forward to any improvements, which as a DF+ seem to indicate more of a bridge camera to some better body in the future. I've had good success with the autofocus, but as MFDBs increase in resolution so has the need for more accurate AF. I'm not looking for DSLR performance, but improvements that help me do my job better and easier are always welcome.

I'd be interested in hearing about any upgrade/trade-in programs for current DF owners.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

doug please, 5k for baby steps and another "just wait until the next one comes" song? really? if there is a cat, then let the d*** thing out of the bag before it suffocates.

good luck with selling the new and improved amc pacer.

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    When the 65+ shipped people were disappointed the LCD and user interface hadn't been improved. But the revolutionary IQ was in development long before the 65+ shipped. Revolutions can take a while :-).

Assuming it performs as indicated the Phase One DF+ body is now more robust, reliable, and has a few nice features (e.g. AF fine tune), today as compared to yesterday and is the same price as the DF was.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    560 EUR for the recargable battery when you can purchase the EJJI branded original for 430 EUR.......
    There were some issues with the original EJJI, though rare, that could cause it to expand during use and get stuck in the body.

Phase One wanted the capability, so they took it in house and made sure such issues wouldn't happen.

Make more sense now?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Shimming seems highly unlikely to me. I suspect it's just a micro-focus adjustment in the AF algorithm.
    Correct - electronic, not mechanical AF micro-adjust (aka fine-tune, aka offset).

Post Thanks / Like

There were some issues with the original EJJI, though rare, that could cause it to expand during use and get stuck in the body.

Phase One wanted the capability, so they took it in house and made sure such issues wouldn't happen.

Make more sense now?
    No. If the issue was "rare", then a tightening up of quality control does not justify the price increase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry but this is a bad joke... You can tell me as much as you want how much the AF is better and so on, but it's just sad.... Even the Hassi announcement looks 10times better so far.... and I wasn't happy with that one either...

Post Thanks / Like

Make more sense now?
    First I've been told about such problems and Ken and Don seem pretty happy.... sounds more like an excuse than a genuine reason for the price difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Re the battery - no mention of whether it can be used with the AF, but I believe I'm right in saying that the EJJI could, but and so presume this can too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The current eyecup no longer falls out since it now locks on.
    Replacements for the older style have been available for awhile.
    Question on the AF adjustments.
    Is that a global adjustment or is it lens dependent?
    It would be NICEST if it were both a global offset as well as a per lens offset which would be summed.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Only one question: Is there an upgrade from the Phase AF to the DF+ ? I'm only asking because I would like to use some of the LS lenses with the LS, however, I will certainly not pay 4,2k on a crappy body. If thats all phase has to over I prefer to sell all the 645 stuff, keep my arca and get a d800...

Post Thanks / Like

Doug - regarding your PM, it was you that said the issue was rare, not me. Regardless of any issues faced by individuals, rare instances such as the one you describe must surely be down to poor QC.

My opinion isn't altered that an improvement in QC does not justify such a price increase.

Regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It might be a great body no matter what it looks like.
    What I would like to hear is a whole bunch of details and comparative measurements that describe the differences.
    The vague "more better" is just not very compelling.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

It sure looks like Phase have decided to focus much more on the tech camera side of the market. An Alpa / Cambo in combination with their backs can't be beaten.

I have a feeling that portrait people should simply look elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Only one question: Is there an upgrade from the Phase AF to the DF+ ? I'm only asking because I would like to use some of the LS lenses with the LS, however, I will certainly not pay 4,2k on a crappy body. If thats all phase has to over I prefer to sell all the 645 stuff, keep my arca and get a d800...

This is a great question on upgrade path. Last time we where able to upgrade for a minimal fee from our existing bodies. Hoping something will come up on that. Again I would not put much stock in the pricing as new owners I'm sure they will bundle this with a back purchase like they do today. For the real price this will come down to dealers as it always has in the past. MSRP is just that a suggested price.

Now folks its far easier to sell a reliable camera with improvements than one that has had some issues. I agree it may not be the new camera that is speculated but if they went in and made it much more robust in operation with much better reliability than that's a good thing. At least as a Pro on a gig you can get a job done without a failure. Something to be said for that. This may not help existing owners that much if they are running okay but for new buyers with bundling its a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    An enhanced auto-focus delivers accurately focused images fast, even when shooting in low light or low contrast. And with an all-new custom adjustment feature photographers can fine-tune the alignment of digital backs to the camera. With this photographers can easily match their focus preference.
    Does this mean we still only get the central very vague big blob in the middle of the viewfinder from the current DF? Could Phase not have raided Nikon's parts bin from a discontinued older generation camera, say a Nikon F4 to give us better AF performance in a 645 camera?

Granted AF has improved in every version of the Mamiya 645AF but only by baby steps. Do we assume the same for the DF+, its a tiny bit better and faster?

Doug, I bet you were dreading this announcement.............

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    It might be a great body no matter what it looks like.
    What I would like to hear is a whole bunch of details and comparative measurements that describe the differences.
    The vague "more better" is just not very compelling.
    -bob
    I agree Bob this is very vague. Like to hear what was done in detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does this mean we still only get the central very vague big blob in the middle of the viewfinder from the current DF? Could Phase not have raided Nikon's parts bin from a discontinued older generation camera, say a Nikon F4 to give us better AF performance in a 645 camera?

Granted AF has improved in every version of the Mamiya 645AF but only by baby steps. Do we assume the same for the DF+, its a tiny bit better and faster?

Doug, I bet you were dreading this announcement.............
    One would hope they spread these out further for sure. Agree folks we need more details. Hopefully in the coming days we will hear more. I'm counting on dealers and reps to give us more info as its made available . Right now this is all that we received for press releases. Who knows if this is the end of them. Some companies I know for a fact don't put much stock in Photokinia timing and release product throughout the year. Case in point Leica only announces at Photokinia from the past. So hard to say what's coming or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe wishful thinking, but the week is still young...

Perhaps this is a "refinement" of the current DF to keep the traditionalists an evolutionary platform, and later in the week, a kick-***, category redefining body, that integrates seamlessly with the IQ will be announced. Perhaps it is a looks/feels/works like a 1D or D800 you can smack an IQ on to...or perhaps, the wine last night has not worked itself out of my system yet.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the classic press release followed immediately by firehose to douse the angry flames technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    This is a great question on upgrade path. Last time we where able to upgrade for a minimal fee from our existing bodies. Hoping something will come up on that.
    If that is the case and they offer it at a sensible price the upgrade for the battery alone is worth it but at the full retail the EJJI option for the current DF looks the best option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes you can buy that battery setup separately. I know Ken and Don bought them and really like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If that is the case and they offer it at a sensible price the upgrade for the battery alone is worth it but at the full retail the EJJI option for the current DF looks the best option.
    I don't want to speculate but a upgrade path would be nice. I say that as a consumer and nothing more.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No Phase One sponsored/official body upgrade pricing. Dealers are of course free to make their own upgrade programs.

Notably however you don't need to upgrade your entire back/body kit (e.g. H4D-H5D) in order to access the body improvements. Any back or accessory compatible with the DF is compatible with the DF+.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the EJJI battery - I happened to be in Atlanta when CI got the shipment and helped open the boxes in March. Not certain which version this was however I've been using the battery since then and am very pleased with no problems. The battery has worked well in all types of shooting conditions. If I were to upgrade the body I'd have no problems using the current EJJI batteries.

Regarding the eyecup - Bob beat me to it. The original one sucked and I actually finally lost it someplace here (by now inside a buffalo). The new improved locking one is simply great. You really need to want to remove it in order to take it off. My hope is that all future bodies are being shipped with the new eyecup.

I think that it's too early to dismiss this as not all the full information is out yet. For me I'll sit back with an open mind and wait to see what people say who actually see the body.

Don

I'll admit there are some things I find I like about the announment.....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks doug, at least I know I can sell the stuff soon. 4k to upgrade, rofl.... just a bad joke and we don't even have April 1st...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Definitely disappointed. As soon as I saw the picture, I knew this was going to be ugly. At least my DF didn't loose all of its value 20 minutes ago with this announcement.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 28 LS to switch gears here is awesome for interior shooters mixing flash with daylight coming in. For the none tech users this is nice. I shot a whole house with the 28 awhile back before I had a tech cam and I would loved having this option for higher flash sync. 1/125 does not cut it and you have to throw a lot of juice at it to mix better. This keeps the power down and you can pretty much dial in however dark you want or not with a high sync speed for the daylight.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last time I spoke to Phase techs, they indicated that while consumers may look at Photokina for the timing of releases, upgrades, etc. Phase does not, preferring to release when ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Last time I spoke to Phase techs, they indicated that while consumers may look at Photokina for the timing of releases, upgrades, etc. Phase does not, preferring to release when ready.
    So the DF+ is a mirage then?........ Phew!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Funny, this this announcement they show that it isn't true at all.... If the actually would not look at photokina, they would instead of showing a DF+ version, keep on working and present a real camera once ready. However, phase fears to show nothing new on such a big event and so we see a refined crappy camera.

I mean really ? I don't see ANYTHING to justify spending 4k on this camera. If I had a DF and not an AF, I would see even LESS.
    Christopher Hauser
    My iPhone / iPad Apps
    http://www.hauser-photoart.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"[Don] happened to be in Atlanta when CI got the shipment and helped open the boxes in March." This belongs in an image thread: did they want Don's help, or were they unable to stop him? Was there a Christmas tree, and a pile of boxes?

Post Thanks / Like

No Phase One sponsored/official body upgrade pricing.
    When they don't sell any, that may change........

Unless as the week rolls on, more info surfaces about the HUGH improvements to AF etc, I sit here inbetween shooting some product images with my DF and 120 macro thinking who on earth is going to upgrade from DF to DF+?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "[Don] happened to be in Atlanta when CI got the shipment and helped open the boxes in March." This belongs in an image thread: did they want Don's help, or were they unable to stop him? Was there a Christmas tree, and a pile of boxes?
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it (on advice of counsel)......
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am available to help CI unpack their boxes when the new Cambo cameras arrive....
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Huh? Is this the new Phase body that has been in the rumor mill for more than a year?

Doug or anyone ... can you tell us if they have done anything about the mirror vibration? What about the viewfinder black out times?

How about the sync speed for non ls lenses?

Is there a possibility to upgrade the body like with the Hy6 instead of having to buy a whole new one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    All I heard was that Don brought his own box cutter and they couldn't stop him...

Very vague announcement that is not helpful without hands-on experience. If the improvements are just "polish" then I'll stay with my current DF with the Lithium battery insert. This (lithium battery) is a must-have/must-do no matter what with this platform, imho. If the improvement in AF performance is similar to the big jump in capability that we saw from the 645AF body to the 645DF body, then you can pretty much count me in----especially if there is an attractive trade-in program for current DF owners. (Is Phase listening???)

I just want to be able to do my job easier and faster when using the DF and IQ180 combination, and any improvements are welcome. I absolutely love my Cambo WRS, and though I love the recent Cambo announcements, won't be doing anything in the tech camera arena except maybe looking more closely at the newly announced Rodie 90mm. What I'd really like to see is a Canon answer to the Nikon D800. That's the 64,000 dollar question for me. The ultimate marriage, imho, is the Phase IQ160 or IQ180 MFDB (with DF and tech platforms) complemented by the Nikon D800. I'm firmly entrenched with Canon, so I want that ultimate complement too.

Bring out the real-world comparisons with the DF+. That's what I want to see. And with the new 28mm LS too----that's the other weak point with the platform, and imho, is the (previous) lack of a stellar wide angle solution has helped to drive tech camera sales. I'd like to see an updated stellar SK 35mm LS....

ken
    Last edited by kdphotography; 17th September 2012 at 08:12.