Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 261

Thread: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

  1. #201
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    This camera is an absolute, premium nausea inducing, steaming pile of puke. An absolute insult to common sense and the camera industry as a whole. Not even Leica are so bold as to ask that kind of mark up on a rebadged product. I don't care how different the outer shell is, it's still a NEX 7 – a below average camera in it's original form to boot. Today I lost all faith in Hasselblad.
    With all due respect, you are not their target audience. Just like you would not buy a rebranded Panasonic. But people do. People who are status orientated. Imagine it sitting next to a douche bag on a boat in linen trousers. That's the aspirational audience.

    We are always going to hate this because it is targeted at the opposite market to the pro market. I think they put out the prototypes so they could gather input. I think they will end up with a rebranded NEX7, RX1 and A99. I honestly think they will sell really well based on the market size they are aiming at. Remember lots of the people buying the cameras won't have heard of the NEX7 because they don't give a ****. They just want the best perceived brand.

  2. #202
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro39photo View Post
    For example Apple now its not thinking for the designers/movie/photographers they just want to sell 1 milions Ipads/Iphones and forget about a good professional softwares or good MAC Pro workstation ...The brands need to have again realy working profissionals in there Boards for advises of what we want in the next products.
    And Apple is now the biggest company in the world. Plus I hear pro's complaining all the time about the fact they don't play to the designer tune anymore. I run a P40+ on a 17" Macbook Pro, Eizo monitor and a Tunderbolt storage array. I don't need my Mac Pro anymore. I really don't. This setup actually runs faster than my 8 core 3GHz tower. Plus I get to carry it wherever I go. They do still cater to us, its just its now possible with a laptop!

  3. #203
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Look folks, all the wishful thinking and layering on of our hopes flies in the face of reality.

    What we did not know was the degree of influence the new owners would have. Now we do.

    It is a bean-counter mentality at the helm, a deliberate milking of the Brand name for profiteering, and no other reason.

    People keep referencing Leica ... but in times of crisis, the person at Leica's helm understood and even cherished the Brand's essence, and put his money where his mouth was. S system and M system innovations are proof of this. Rebadged consumer cameras didn't reinvigorate Leica, their core brand product, the M9 did ... and the ground-up S2 showed a serious dedication to photographic excellence with the first really new idea in MFD since the beginning.

    To think Hasselblad will pour any profits made from this venture into MFD R&D is a fairy tale.

    In this story, the Wolf eats little red riding hood with a nice Chianti, the Wicked Witch boils Dorothy and her little dog Toto alive while listening to Yo-Yo Ma, and the 3 bears turn Goldilocks into their sex slave.

    (Note the lack of a smiley face icon)

    -Marc
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #204
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southport Gold Coast QLD
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Photography is art and science and emotion for me. Its strange that my hasselblad looks different to me . Now I know nothing has changed to the actual camera but I have a feeling of moving to a new MF platform. Emotion of course but that is what marketing is about. Hasselblad seem to be doing the reverse to my emotion, which is opposite to the norm. All I think is that they don't value me/us and want a new market. My plan was upgrade to a 50Meg soon. Now I will wait for a new body and go phase. I was proud to say that my business was based on a Hasselblad system. I cannot say this now.
    Regards Martin

  5. #205
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro39photo View Post
    I dont like the Lunar Camera, but i would like to see a rich geek with a 5000$ rebrand hasselblad, and thinking - "great ! people like you are giving the money for R&D for my next H6D" !!!!
    I don't imagine a company like Sony are letting HB run off with all the profit from this venture and my guess is Sony will get the lions share. Heck, Zeiss has a bigger investment in term of production costs for the lenses than HB so the notion all this money will come flooding in to pay for a nice new shiny H6D just seems unlikely.

    All HB user can hope for IMO is Sony have agreed to make a 645 CMOS chip for use in the H platform and this is their deal to pay for it.

  6. #206
    Wim van Velzen
    Guest

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    All this makes me feel so happy that I have an old Rollei 6008i and lenses, a 22MP back and no money to buy new stuff.

    It would be very frustrating to have money but nothing worthy of being bought ;-)

  7. #207
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    In this story, the Wolf eats little red riding hood with a nice Chianti, the Wicked Witch boils Dorothy and her little dog Toto alive while listening to Yo-Yo Ma, and the 3 bears turn Goldilocks into their sex slave.

    (Note the lack of a smiley face icon)

    -Marc
    Now that is THE quote of the day!

    I reference Leica because they introduced the the digilux in 2002. The M8 and S2 did not arrive until after 2008. So historically their partnership with Panasonic predates all of their higher end releases. My question is could they have done the M8 and S2 without Panasonic or the income from compact camera sales? We will never know. I for one don't think it would have been possible to do with only M7 and lens sales alone.

  8. #208
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by 6x6 View Post
    And Apple is now the biggest company in the world. Plus I hear pro's complaining all the time about the fact they don't play to the designer tune anymore. I run a P40+ on a 17" Macbook Pro, Eizo monitor and a Tunderbolt storage array. I don't need my Mac Pro anymore. I really don't. This setup actually runs faster than my 8 core 3GHz tower. Plus I get to carry it wherever I go. They do still cater to us, its just its now possible with a laptop!
    Apple is NOT the biggest company in the world. Wallmart is. Apple isn't even in the top 100 but IBM is. Apple is ranked 111th.

    -Marc

  9. #209
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Apple is NOT the biggest company in the world. Wallmart is. Apple isn't even in the top 100 but IBM is. Apple is ranked 111th.

    -Marc
    Ok there are lists by revenue, market capitalisation etc (Apple is the largest by market cap).

    My point was that Apple has grown to a be a huge company. It is a minor point in the context of this discussion.

  10. #210
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Sure, point taken, although I think there is a big difference between asking a premium for a rebadged consumer product and what is happening here.

    (I know the following is rather emotive, sorry. I agree with what you say in essence, but what Hasselblad have brought to the table is just so nonsensical.)

    It's extortion. Unless Hasselblad are using their own custom sensor, manufacturing their own lenses and have a completely different firmware and software package, not to mention warranty package, I can not see this being anywhere near "premium" enough to justify the stab at the market segment. We're not talking about a brand with the same established collector base and culture as Leica – who can milk the special edition market, especially with exotic lens lines and hand made components. We're talking about a SONY camera available off the shelf at Best Buy, only with a stupid outer shell at over 3.5x the price!

    I'm sorry. I just needed to vent!

    Quote Originally Posted by 6x6 View Post
    With all due respect, you are not their target audience. Just like you would not buy a rebranded Panasonic. But people do. People who are status orientated. Imagine it sitting next to a douche bag on a boat in linen trousers. That's the aspirational audience.

    We are always going to hate this because it is targeted at the opposite market to the pro market. I think they put out the prototypes so they could gather input. I think they will end up with a rebranded NEX7, RX1 and A99. I honestly think they will sell really well based on the market size they are aiming at. Remember lots of the people buying the cameras won't have heard of the NEX7 because they don't give a ****. They just want the best perceived brand.

  11. #211
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by 6x6 View Post
    With all due respect, you are not their target audience. Just like you would not buy a rebranded Panasonic. But people do. People who are status orientated. Imagine it sitting next to a douche bag on a boat in linen trousers. That's the aspirational audience.

    We are always going to hate this because it is targeted at the opposite market to the pro market. I think they put out the prototypes so they could gather input. I think they will end up with a rebranded NEX7, RX1 and A99. I honestly think they will sell really well based on the market size they are aiming at. Remember lots of the people buying the cameras won't have heard of the NEX7 because they don't give a ****. They just want the best perceived brand.
    Oh, I think you are under-estimating the consuming public, who aren't quite the fools that arm-chair marketers think they are. A few hundred dollars to pay for a red dot on a Panasonic is one thing, this is a whole other matter.

    In this day of the internet, such "grifter" attempts at profiteering are quickly revealed.

    How many here have been asked by friends what they thought of this or that camera? How would you answer them if it was this one?

    That answer is what will go viral.

    The newly rich and bling oriented consumer hates being made a fool of, and when they find out about this rip off they most certainly WILL give a shyt.

    -Marc

  12. #212
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    tjv - I totally agree. I think that they have the price point all wrong. Plus the design is awful. But they will change these. I bet we see the price coming in at $3,500 or so. Still too much in my mind, but slightly more palatable.

    From an emotional POV I am annoyed too. I would have brought a digital XPan in a heart beat. However I think the market is too small to do this first. They need a banker product to start with. Granted what they showed is far from this banker product, but with adjustments ... could be.

    Heck if I was being emotional and was running Hassy I would have brought back the 200FE with a large square 30MP back at a $7,000 - $8,000 price point. That would have brought back the 65% that Hassy have lost over the years. But then again I would be being emotional and I would bankrupt the company!! Still nice camera to have!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #213
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by 6x6 View Post
    Now that is THE quote of the day!

    I reference Leica because they introduced the the digilux in 2002. The M8 and S2 did not arrive until after 2008. So historically their partnership with Panasonic predates all of their higher end releases. My question is could they have done the M8 and S2 without Panasonic or the income from compact camera sales? We will never know. I for one don't think it would have been possible to do with only M7 and lens sales alone.
    It was the cold hard cash of a Leica loving businessman, and lots of it, that brought Leica to where it is today. Not any rebadged P&S.

    -Marc
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #214
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by 6x6 View Post
    Ok there are lists by revenue, market capitalisation etc (Apple is the largest by market cap).

    My point was that Apple has grown to a be a huge company. It is a minor point in the context of this discussion.
    The guy that took them there is dead. Hopefully there is some collective minds that can keep Apple on course.

    -Marc

  15. #215
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Marc - I agree. The price point is ridiculous and the status orientated market place would hate to be hoodwinked. In fact I've just commented stating a price of $3,500 would be acceptable. Actually I take that back. Based on your points, its still far too high.

    I think the 'idea' is a good one. Stretch the brand and get another income stream. I think that Sony have been really innovative with their RX1 and A99's, but they suffer from a poor 'pro' image (in stills photography). Hassy will give this 'pro' image to them. In return maybe Sony high end will become Hassy branded. Who knows.

  16. #216
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    It was the cold hard cash of a Leica loving businessman, and lots of it, that brought Leica to where it is today. Not any rebadged P&S.

    -Marc
    I don't know the figures so I cannot comment on specifics. Sales income from compact sales must have found their way into the R&D of the M and S systems though. Surely that assumption is an acceptable one?

    There are also many similarities between the strategies of Leica and now Hassy. A big investor and an alliance with a large electronics company. If steered right, it could be a real success. However it is the steering that is under scrutiny.

  17. #217
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by 6x6 View Post
    tjv - I totally agree. I think that they have the price point all wrong. Plus the design is awful. But they will change these. I bet we see the price coming in at $3,500 or so. Still too much in my mind, but slightly more palatable.

    From an emotional POV I am annoyed too. I would have brought a digital XPan in a heart beat. However I think the market is too small to do this first. They need a banker product to start with. Granted what they showed is far from this banker product, but with adjustments ... could be.

    Heck if I was being emotional and was running Hassy I would have brought back the 200FE with a large square 30MP back at a $7,000 - $8,000 price point. That would have brought back the 65% that Hassy have lost over the years. But then again I would be being emotional and I would bankrupt the company!! Still nice camera to have!
    You touch on something that perplexes me about what Hasselblad and their new overlords are attempting to do.

    They say they want to recapture their past relationship with enthusiasts, but in past, they did that with an aspirational, well made product that Pro or enthusiasts could use and expand upon over the years. Before I ever even thought of making money with a camera, I aspired to one day own a Hasselblad and Leica M. I scrimped and saved to acquire both.

    In the face of all the changes in the photo world over decades, AF 35mms, newcomer 645s, etc. ... Victor's Hassey represented a special relationship between user and maker. An alternative way to make images. They never made an AF 35mm to capture the enthusiasts.

    When digital appeared and became dominate, it was price that separated many of the MFD companies from their enthusiasts supporters, especially Hasselblad because the cameras became integrated, and one couldn't just buy a new improved camera body. Okay for pros more than for enthusiasts.

    So, what baffles me is why Hasselblad did not simply make an enthusiasts MF version priced near top tier 35mm DSLRs? In reality, they were arguably in a better position to do this than Pentax was. BTW, Leica just did this with their new ME.

    Then the marketing should have concentrated on the whole MFD experience and differences MF brings to the table ... with both its image characteristics and more importantly experientially. Then the references back to its historical role would have made more sense.

    -Marc
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #218
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Marc - you could not have put it better. That is their brand, right there "a special relationship between user and maker"

    I suspect there is a division within Hasselblad. On the one side there are the engineers who want to make MF cameras for pros and also ones that cross the boundary between pro and enthusiast. They want to make a modern 200FE series with 30-40MP sensor, or the digital X-Pan. Modern tech, old school looks and design.

    Leica cameras have done this with their M series. The M-E / M / M9 all look very similar to the film M's. Brilliant idea. Nod to the old, in with the new. Almost everyone's happy, everyone aspires to one. Pricing is high to reflect this. What a great plan.

    Then on the other side of the division are the accountants who are only looking at the books and saying "OMG, we are destined for bankruptcy. We need something safe, something that we know will sell. I'm scared of those big MF cameras, lets make a premium little one that sells like hotcakes!".

    I'm on the engineer side, trust me. But I think they feel that they have to build their income base before taking anymore MF risks. It might fail big time, but it might make their finances healthier.

  19. #219
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    So, what baffles me is why Hasselblad did not simply make an enthusiasts MF version priced near top tier 35mm DSLRs? In reality, they were arguably in a better position to do this than Pentax was. BTW, Leica just did this with their new ME.

    -Marc
    I've been wondering about this for a while. "Traditional" Hasselblad cameras still have a huge following, and they must have had the resources available at some point to make a modernised, more compact, digital camera that picked up inspiration and design elements from the V Series. Leica has been mentioned a number of times, but also the Hy6 is a good example of what can be done by combining contemporary and classic design elements.

    What we see now is probably the result of a process that started many years ago, before the H1.

  20. #220
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    There is this bizarre story floating around that the Hassy folks got together to determine what made their brand special - and came up with something like "we went to the moon" and neat looks?

    One wonders who was at the table then.... and how they totally missed the love all of us have had for the V cameras, the compact, durable, and accessible system. Heck I owned one, and even having sold it 20 years ago, still wonder about how it would be with a nice 30+ mp back on it. OK, so focus might be an issue, but its a lovely package regardless. Alluring, durable, with a sense of purposefulness that endured.

    Now, on the basis of a poor design and a poor sensibility, and a poor read of their support base, that long lasting loyalty from the photo community has been whooshed out the door. Amazing and very sad. One can only hope they recover.

  21. #221
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Ok so lets imagine we are those Hasselblad people sitting around that table. What would we decide bearing in mind what we had IP wise and our history?

    For me

    1. A digital X-Pan with 2 FF sensors stuck together. Anything that gets the size to between 30-40MB. I don't care if they are CMOS or CCD. Define a new digital format and create a new market. How many would sell? No idea but I would buy one.

    2. Develop a reasonably priced 30-40MB back in combination with a modernised 203FE. Remove anything unnecessary, keep the lovely mirror sound. Keep the price at about $7,000 - $8,000 and allow all old lenses to work with it. Keep the exposure metering through the WLF. Make the package as small as possible. Oh and black. Again no idea how many people would buy one, but I would at that price.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #222
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    A real Lunar Hasselblad should be in his hands, not in a glass shelf next to a golden toilet bowl.

  23. #223
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by kipling View Post
    A real Lunar Hasselblad should be in his hands, not in a glass shelf next to a golden toilet bowl.
    Oh I don't know, looks pretty space aged to me.

    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #224
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #225
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    I love Roger.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

  26. #226
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    I love Roger.
    +1

  27. #227
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    On the bright side, Hasselblads new owners are going to get the message that this is not the route to take.

    It would have been worse if they had designed a nice mirrorless like the Fuji X series at a reasonable price, they would have sold loads and been encouraged to continue down this road.

    But the backlash from this monstrosity will send a very clear message.

    This camera won't sell, if they were given away free most people would be embarrassed to carry one. And dont think theres some secret place in China (or wherever) that billionaires are so totally lacking in common sense and lacking in taste.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #228
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    [QUOTE=gazwas;452577]Oh I don't know, looks pretty space aged to me.

    Maybe...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #229
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR


  30. #230
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I've been wondering about this for a while. "Traditional" Hasselblad cameras still have a huge following, and they must have had the resources available at some point to make a modernised, more compact, digital camera that picked up inspiration and design elements from the V Series. Leica has been mentioned a number of times, but also the Hy6 is a good example of what can be done by combining contemporary and classic design elements.

    What we see now is probably the result of a process that started many years ago, before the H1.
    The Hy6 a good example? The marketplace spoke loudly and clearly and made it a colossal failure. Photographers are no different from other consumers. They vote with their wallets. Sure, there are a few people that are intensely loyal to the Hy6, but there are always a few people loyal to things like the Edsel automobile. Phase actually bought Leaf for a song and owned all of the R&D and tooling to use the Hy6 as its new camera platform but chose not to do so. This was not an accident.

  31. #231
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Was Hasselblad ever a luxury brand? It was always a very solid pro tool but I don't remember it ever being a rich mans toy. Unlike Leica which was only ever affordable to a higher wage bracket for all that it was made to a standard that justified the marketing position. It's being marketed as if it was a Leica but it just isn't. Especially not when underneath it's a Sony with bling. Even the Hermes Leicas were still Leicas underneath. This is a non luxury brand based on far from luxury innards. I'm not quite sure what they were smoking.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  32. #232
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    I'd love to hear David Grover's (ex Hasselbald now Phase One) opinion on all of this. He must have known this was in the works before he left HB and have some insight to the background of its creation.

  33. #233
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    I'm thinking that these cameras may sell to the same people that buy Vertu phones (luxury Nokias). Don't know if they sell a lot though.

    By the way, has anyone spoken to Hasselblad in the photokina stand? Are they aware that they are ridiculed all over the 'net?

  34. #234
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Hasselblad is NOT a luxury brand. Their cameras are expensive because they cost a lot to make. But these are not luxury goods, just like an oil tanker is not a luxury ship simply because of the cost of production. And this is the mistake the management has made and it will be a big failure.

    Hopefully, they will do what Leica is doing with the Sir Ive designed M. Simply make one and auction it off.

  35. #235
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Hasselblad is NOT a luxury brand. Their cameras are expensive because they cost a lot to make. But these are not luxury goods, just like an oil tanker is not a luxury ship simply because of the cost of production. And this is the mistake the management has made and it will be a big failure.

    Hopefully, they will do what Leica is doing with the Sir Ive designed M. Simply make one and auction it off.
    Unfortunately, Hasselblad (expensive camera) is a luxury brand. The same could be said for Cartier not being a luxury brand because diamonds are simply expensive to acquire.

    An oil tanker isn't a luxury item, for it's usual expensive price until everyone will like an oild tanker at home but cannot afford one. At the same time it will be one when it adds italian leather seats, air conditioning, tv screens and walnut shift knobs! Just saying
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  36. #236
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Unfortunately, Hasselblad (expensive camera) is a luxury brand.
    Hasselblad has been associated to being a professional workhorse tool, like most digital medium format systems.

    The Lunar is about luxury like jewelry. To be successful with jewelry-like luxury the brand should have such associations.

    In Leica's case the luxury brand is Hermes, not Leica itself. Leica is the fine camera underneath.

    In Hasselblad's case the luxury brand is uhh... Hasselblad, and the camera is Sony. How cool is that?
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #237
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Remember Sony makes cameras at all price points, Hass doesn't
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  38. #238
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Unfortunately, Hasselblad (expensive camera) is a luxury brand. The same could be said for Cartier not being a luxury brand because diamonds are simply expensive to acquire.
    But the diamonds are decoration and not essential to the machine. Hasselblad is rather protean in its design and not made for broad consumer use. Hasselblad is a working tool--medium-format is not exactly a consumer format. So to say Hasselblad is a luxury brand is simply because it is expensive is like saying Olympus endoscopes are luxury products because they are expensive.

  39. #239
    Member David Duffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Ventizz people are not stupid or they wouldn't be as successful. My thoughts are that the Lunar may be viewed in future as a rather clever move to keep HB alive and self-sufficient as development progresses on a high-spec successor to the H-series, much as Phase has announced the DF645+ as a stop-gap until development of their new unit is complete.

    I'm not a Hassy guy -- at least not yet -- but do use an HB 300mm/4.5 (via adapter) that's just superb. Certainly I am not in the market for a rebadged NEX although I do think the ballsy design transforms it into something much more interesting than Sony's.

    Let's all hope that Ventizz has some real underlying innovation and quality in its sights for Hasselblad. My guess is that they do.

  40. #240
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    I'd love to hear David Grover's (ex Hasselbald now Phase One) opinion on all of this. He must have known this was in the works before he left HB and have some insight to the background of its creation.
    I actually can't say I did! So I can't really shed any light.

    Anyway, I am in the software business now.

    I would hope that Ventizz did their market research and have an idea of unit sales, in whatever country that may be.

    D
    David Grover
    Phase One A/S
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #241
    Member pedro39photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by 6x6 View Post
    And Apple is now the biggest company in the world. Plus I hear pro's complaining all the time about the fact they don't play to the designer tune anymore. I run a P40+ on a 17" Macbook Pro, Eizo monitor and a Tunderbolt storage array. I don't need my Mac Pro anymore. I really don't. This setup actually runs faster than my 8 core 3GHz tower. Plus I get to carry it wherever I go. They do still cater to us, its just its now possible with a laptop!
    Maybe apple its the biggest company now because they sell now 1 milion Ipads and Iphones a day, but the foundations of the brand with the creative people are leaving, and with no SteveJobs lets see if in the future Apple its just a I-APPLE brand...just for milking money...with Ipads and Iphones...

    I Know and work with some Video-Production houses, and some graphics pre-press and i saw recent they computers changing from Mac Pros to Win7 64bits workstations.....and for video....FinalCutPRO???? no.....Premiere with Mercury engine...

  42. #242
    Member pedro39photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Dear fellows i think that we all need to go get a Ocullar - Design Check-up...

    Because the new Hasselblad Lunar camera wins a award ...

    digit! photokina 2012 Star Award - Hasselblad Lunar | Hasselblad tv

    I love Hasselblad, and maybe its like my 6 years old kid, i allways forget its mistakes...that its a part of growing...

  43. #243
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by pedro39photo View Post
    Dear fellows i think that we all need to go get a Ocullar - Design Check-up...

    Because the new Hasselblad Lunar camera wins a award ...

    digit! photokina 2012 Star Award - Hasselblad Lunar | Hasselblad tv
    Tongues planted firmly in cheeks, I'm sure.

  44. #244
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Phase One View Post
    I actually can't say I did! So I can't really shed any light.

    Anyway, I am in the software business now.

    I would hope that Ventizz did their market research and have an idea of unit sales, in whatever country that may be.

    D
    David, I have no doubt you are counting your blessings right now. You could be in these forums now trying to put a positive spin on all of this.

  45. #245
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Hasselblad: 'We're not robbing people with the Lunar camera' - British Journal of Photography

    The question now is: How much will they have to pay this Alessandrini guy to get rid of him?

  46. #246
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    But the diamonds are decoration and not essential to the machine. Hasselblad is rather protean in its design and not made for broad consumer use. Hasselblad is a working tool--medium-format is not exactly a consumer format. So to say Hasselblad is a luxury brand is simply because it is expensive is like saying Olympus endoscopes are luxury products because they are expensive.
    Okay, I understand your point about about diamonds being decorations, and not to make this long winded debate about what is and isn't a luxury item, Mercedes are taxis in some cities, why the clear cut distinction of luxury isn't alway clear, a workhorse can still be luxury item. Olympus offers many other consumer based items, Hasselblad doesn't. If anything we can both disagree about this, but I am totally in understanding Hasselblad making a working tool, although the lunar as its promotion clearly suggests is more about pricey materials!
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  47. #247
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Hasselblad: 'We're not robbing people with the Lunar camera' - British Journal of Photography

    The question now is: How much will they have to pay this Alessandrini guy to get rid of him?
    It is not just one, with this sort of blunder, very soon, most of the heads involved will roll. Either that or every one involved will sink with the ship.

    This interview is more disgusting than the revolting designs they have churned out.

  48. #248
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR


  49. #249
    Senior Member Stefan Steib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lindenberg im Allgäu
    Posts
    1,294
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Hasselblad: 'We're not robbing people with the Lunar camera' - British Journal of Photography

    The question now is: How much will they have to pay this Alessandrini guy to get rid of him?
    "And, adds Alesssandrini, Hasselblad is not forcing anyone to buy the Lunar camera......"
    Phuuuu - Thanks - I was already fearing they would do the same thing as with Julian Assange and ask for release of everybody who would not buy one to Sweden. Big relief !

    Greetings from Cologne/the Photokina
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

  50. #250
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

    I can understand why HB didn't release a digital XPan because apart from a few die hard photographers, the market would be too small to sustain its existence and they would be back to the low volume sales figures similar to MF.

    So its obvious.... release a compact camera system made using off the shelf cheap internal components and sprinkle it with HB fairy dust. However, by adorning it with expensive and exotic materials they are putting themselves firmly back into a situation of low sales volume like the H system?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •