The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Breaking Hassleblad/Sony: "Lunar" mirrorless with sony E/A mount 5k EUR

pedro39photo

And Apple is now the biggest company in the world. Plus I hear pro's complaining all the time about the fact they don't play to the designer tune anymore. I run a P40+ on a 17" Macbook Pro, Eizo monitor and a Tunderbolt storage array. I don't need my Mac Pro anymore. I really don't. This setup actually runs faster than my 8 core 3GHz tower. Plus I get to carry it wherever I go. They do still cater to us, its just its now possible with a laptop!
Maybe apple its the biggest company now because they sell now 1 milion Ipads and Iphones a day, but the foundations of the brand with the creative people are leaving, and with no SteveJobs lets see if in the future Apple its just a I-APPLE brand...just for milking money...with Ipads and Iphones...

I Know and work with some Video-Production houses, and some graphics pre-press and i saw recent they computers changing from Mac Pros to Win7 64bits workstations.....and for video....FinalCutPRO???? no.....Premiere with Mercury engine...

hcubell

I actually can't say I did! So I can't really shed any light.

Anyway, I am in the software business now. ;)

I would hope that Ventizz did their market research and have an idea of unit sales, in whatever country that may be.

D
David, I have no doubt you are counting your blessings right now. You could be in these forums now trying to put a positive spin on all of this.

pophoto

But the diamonds are decoration and not essential to the machine. Hasselblad is rather protean in its design and not made for broad consumer use. Hasselblad is a working tool--medium-format is not exactly a consumer format. So to say Hasselblad is a luxury brand is simply because it is expensive is like saying Olympus endoscopes are luxury products because they are expensive.
Okay, I understand your point about about diamonds being decorations, and not to make this long winded debate about what is and isn't a luxury item, Mercedes are taxis in some cities, why the clear cut distinction of luxury isn't alway clear, a workhorse can still be luxury item. Olympus offers many other consumer based items, Hasselblad doesn't. If anything we can both disagree about this, but I am totally in understanding Hasselblad making a working tool, although the lunar as its promotion clearly suggests is more about pricey materials!

V

Vivek

Stefan Steib

Hasselblad: 'We're not robbing people with the Lunar camera' - British Journal of Photography

The question now is: How much will they have to pay this Alessandrini guy to get rid of him?
"And, adds Alesssandrini, Hasselblad is not forcing anyone to buy the Lunar camera......"
Phuuuu - Thanks - I was already fearing they would do the same thing as with Julian Assange and ask for release of everybody who would not buy one to Sweden. Big relief !

Greetings from Cologne/the Photokina
Stefan

gazwas

I can understand why HB didn't release a digital XPan because apart from a few die hard photographers, the market would be too small to sustain its existence and they would be back to the low volume sales figures similar to MF.

So its obvious.... release a compact camera system made using off the shelf cheap internal components and sprinkle it with HB fairy dust. However, by adorning it with expensive and exotic materials they are putting themselves firmly back into a situation of low sales volume like the H system?

Dustbak

As a professional photographer there is 1 thing that became very clear very fast. You do not enter this field of work with the intention to make a lot of money and become very rich (there are many other more likely areas to do this). I (most people I know) do this because we really want to, money comes second. Funnily after working 11 years as a pro now I do very well, passion can be rewarded (even though I made a lot more working as a director for a communications company).

Anyway, maybe this should also be applied to parties in the suppliers area....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Anyway, maybe this should also be applied to parties in the suppliers area....
Interesting point. Everything was obviously better in "The Old Days" when the sky was pink and camera manufacturers cared for photographers more than for the shareholders. To me, there seem to be 4 kinds of camera suppliers:

- Big corporations that are in it for the money mostly, and would drop the camera division like a turd if it loses money, like Sony.

- Big corporations with a genuine passion for photography that are willing to spend money on projects that don't necessarily generate a big profit, like Fujifilm

- Smaller enthusiast firms that have a solid financial base and that manage to make money on most of what they do, like Leica at the moment.

- Smaller enthusiast firms that are as much at home in the bankruptcy court as at Photokina, but survive by planting their teeth even deeper into the tarmac while paddling like crazy with hands and feet, like Rollei.

We need them all of course :)

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Funny -- I've had a lot of trouble getting interested in these cameras or this thread. They are simply brain dead dumb and butt ugly. The end.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
To me, the Lunacy debacle makes it tempting to go out and buy a brand new vintage camera. The Rolleiflex FX-N, yet another update of the more than 80 year old Rolleiflex, now costing just over $5,000, which is less than the Sony Lunacy, and it's a real, vintage, brand new classic, fully functional and a great photographic tool too. It obviously won't sell in great numbers to the ignorant nouveau riche, and won't leave much profit for greedy venture capitalists, since the sticker price most probably reflects real production costs. But what a temptation :p

Last edited:

Stefan Steib

Jorgen

the two eyed Rollei saved DHW´s butt. It sells like fresh bread in China and Asia. And I even dare to say that DHW has a growing aspect today, they hired a lot of people and are restocking on manufacturing gear. Very, very GOOD !

something about Fuji: I think you need to see that they are not "another kind of big corporation ethics or Photography Philanthropics " it´s simply that their portfolio is also historically in the film business and their roots are photographic. They do pretty well in several other branches, they are- fo course - profit driven - but better centered to their core business and this is the reason why they survived and Agfa and Kodak did not.

And of course, being the last man standing also helps a bit as getting customers from the passed away.

and finally thanks for category 4 - I recognize myself ! :)

Greetings from back home Lindenberg
Stefan