The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645D : no news at Kina ?

proenca

Hi there,

I'm trying to "eat" up as many information as I can regarding the 645D in photokina but I don't see a new camera ( don't get me wrong, the actual is fine as it is ) and no new lenses ( that could be expanded ).

Is the system in a stall or Pentax think its fine as it is ?

I might get my feet wet with this into MFD but I'm worried I will buy into something that is about to die in a couple of years and discontinued. The number of 645D I see used is alarming - I see more people getting out of the system rather going in.

If before in film days that wouldnt be a problem - obselecence - since it one way or another it would continue to work and could be repaird - not so nice in pure digital days.

Shashin

Well, Pentax Ricoh still state they are committed to the 645D line. They have issued that statement in a interview at Photokina.

Can you be more specific:

The number of 645D I see used is alarming - I see more people getting out of the system rather going in.
How are you determining this? What is your data source? Do you know why they are selling? And why is that "alarming"? I still have my 645D. I know members have kept theirs. BTW, I believe the cameras are sold and not thrown away and so the buyers of used 645Ds are actually "getting in" and so there is no net loss.

I don't understand your last comment. Parts do run out for old cameras and film cameras are not immune to that. Pentax can still repair the 645D and are required by law to have a 10-year supply of parts after the production of the product ceases. Are you planning on using your 645D as a soccer ball?

SYGTAFOTO

I know I had thought about selling mine, but I have decided to keep it for a while longer and I am happy with my decision.
Cambo WRC-400 has peaked my interest in selling the 645D setup though, but that is about it.

Ed Hurst

The chatter one hears about all this is certainly confusing. First we hear that the current model's prices have been cut, then that it has been discontinued, then no new model announced, but a new lens for it is launched. Would be good to know what is going on. Perhaps the current model isn't discontinued after all?

I am very happy with the results from my 645D and look forward to further improvements in the line.

Shashin

The chatter one hears about all this is certainly confusing. First we hear that the current model's prices have been cut, then that it has been discontinued, then no new model announced, but a new lens for it is launched. Would be good to know what is going on. Perhaps the current model isn't discontinued after all?

I am very happy with the results from my 645D and look forward to further improvements in the line.
But to be fair, that is internet gossip, not announcements from Pentax.

Ed Hurst

Yes indeed so - hence the word "chatter" ;-)

However, given the uncertainty that there is out there, you'd think that Pentax would want to set the agenda in their communications.

tsjanik

The 90mm appeared on the 645D lens road map almost two years ago and has now been announced, is that consistent with a discontinued system? The road map promises a wide angle zoom in 2013 and Ricoh has stated several times they will continue the 645D.
There are rumors of a 645DII with a somewhat larger sensor, that would likely be annouced at CP+ in January*. I watch the 645D market (I'm looking for a 600mm) and have not noticed an unusal number of 645Ds for sale. When the D800 appeared there was a surge in all MFDBs on the market.

*Perhaps Pentax waited to avoid competing with Lunar. :)

Ed Hurst

I agree - I don't think it's discontinued either :).

I'm just impatient to know when we'll see the 645DII

zentenam

I agree - I don't think it's discontinued either :).

I'm just impatient to know when we'll see the 645DII
I have lost my Patience waiting for some New Lenses for the 645D. Why are so many people upset there was no 645D11 at Photokina. We need Lenses. The 645D has been out almost 3 years and 1 Lens. In my opinion that is disgraceful. I used a Pentax 67, 6711 and 645 for 20 years shooting weddings. Excellent Cameras and Lenses for those days. When Digital came I have been using Canon 1Ds 11 and 1Ds 111. When the 645D was introduced I went to the #1 Professional Camera Store in Ontario, Canada and they were not going to carry it because there were no New Lenses and I was told Pentax would screw-Up and not release any. Lucky I listened. Still only 1 New Lens. Yes you can use the Old ones. They are not for Digital. They are 25 years old. I have talked to other Professional Stores and they have not sold a 645D in years instead all they got was complaints from the Photographers that bought them because of no Lenses. One Store sold 5 Pentax 645D in 1 week when they came out. The Store wished they did not carry the camera. Yes I know maybe they will release some Lenses next year. I will wait and see and if that happens I will get the 645D. I guess that is why Hasselblad is Hasselblad, Numerous Bodies and Numerous Lenses.

Shashin

The 645D has been out almost 3 years and 1 Lens.
Err... Pentax has release two lenses for the 645D, the 55mm and 25mm. And a third is on the way. As far as the "old" lenses, if they perform really well, who cares when they were made? Just because a manufacturer adds the word "digital" to the name, does not mean it is better.

Who are these retailers? You seem to know so little about the system and you certainly are not a user, I doubt your sources of information are correct.

BTW, we are so grateful your joined GetDPI just to share this information. Will we see a second post? It is a great community and you can share some of your work as well.

tsjanik

I have lost my Patience waiting for some New Lenses for the 645D....................................... I guess that is why Hasselblad is Hasselblad, Numerous Bodies and Numerous Lenses.

If a system with an existing supply of "digital" lenses is what you seek, you shouldn't have considered the 645D. The lens situation with the 645D is no secect and shouldn't be a surprise or disappointment. Aside from that, a number of new 645 FA lenses are available in Canada (hint: try the Camera Store, not the #1 Professional Store). As Shashin mentioned, many of the older lenses perform quite well. As for Hasselblad, I'm not sure I would cite their numerous bodies at this point.:(:deadhorse:

zentenam

Err... Pentax has release two lenses for the 645D, the 55mm and 25mm. And a third is on the way. As far as the "old" lenses, if they perform really well, who cares when they were made? Just because a manufacturer adds the word "digital" to the name, does not mean it is better.

Who are these retailers? You seem to know so little about the system and you certainly are not a user, I doubt your sources of information are correct.

BTW, we are so grateful your joined GetDPI just to share this information. Will we see a second post? It is a great community and you can share some of your work as well.
If you read my Post I have used Pentax 67, 67 11 & 645 for over 20 years doing weddings. We were a Small Breed of Wedding Photographers and I used Pentax from 1980 to 2002. I even had the Leaf Shutter Lenses for the 67, the 90mm and 165mm. The Numerous other Wedding Photographers were using Hasselblad, Mamiya & Bronica. No I do not know much about the 645D System and I never said I did. When it was introduced with no Lenses I was advised to stay away and I did and 3 years later there are 2 Lenses, my appologies for saying 1 Lens. I have been told the Camera Store carries the 645D, I do not know where in Canada this store is. I live in Toronto the Largest City in Canada by far. The 3 Largest Camera Dealers in Canada have their head Offices here. Vistek (they never carried the camera) Headshots and Henrys. I am not sure if they still stock the 645D. The Pentax 645D does not Sell in Ontario. Like I said in my Previous Post, if Pentax introduces New Lenses I will buy the 645D or 645D 11.

zentenam

What lens exactly are you looking for? There are enough quality lenses to likely cover your full wedding needs.
When I was using the 67's and 645 and 645N I had a large selection of lenses for both Formats. Later I found that some of the Lenses never got used but at the Lower Prices I Paid compared to the other Brands and the Lenses were just as Sharp I did not care. I am not sure if there is a Crop Facture in the 645D, that would also affect my Lense Choices, but I would like to Purchase a 35mm, 75mm & 150mm Lenses and the 55-110 Zoom Lens. Those are the sizes I used the most in the Old Days.

D&A

Hi Zentenam,

If you do a search on Getdpi, you will find my posted comprehensive lens tests of virtually all single focal length Pentax FA (AF) 645 lenses as well some of their 645 zooms as tested on the 645D. In most cases I tested many samples of each lens in case their were any sub par samples and also posted these results. I haven't yet posted my observations and testing of the 600mm and new 25mm lenses yet but hope to get around to doing so and add to these published results. There is no shortage of exceptionally performing 645l lenses for the 645D and the quite a bit of info mentioned from others from some of the sources you mentioned, in my opinion is just plain wrong.

I as well as others here speak from actually using the camera and many of the 645 lenses available as used ( and a few brand new)...not comments from hersey or behind a counter. I own lenses from 35mm up to 600mm and have used the new 25mm lens. To find out the equivalent 35mm focal length of a given 645 lens on a 645D, simply multiply by 0.8 . For example, the Pentax 55mm 645 lens has a field of view similar to a 44mm lens on a 35mm full frame camera. I"d post the link to my comprehensive tests but I"m on my cell phone and it's a bit too difficult to look it up at the moment. Advice given by 645D users on Getdpi members here is extremely valuable and accurate in my opinion. It's not that every legacy lens is perfect, but many are extremely fine performers and at their price point for a LN copy, they are truly bargains.

I don"t think there have been any 645D users that have been anything but enthusiastic about the performance of the camera. Those that might have sold theirs, is usually due to desiring a different feature set in a camera or something more compact. I at times have contemplated selling the one I use simply because I need a high end fast shooting very low light camera like the Nikon D4, but it's hard to let the Pentax go due to a level of performance thas rarely has ever disappointed me and I am very critical of image quality and expectations of such.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

zentenam

Hi Zentenam,

If you do a search on Getdpi, you will find my posted comprehensive lens tests of virtually all single focal length Pentax FA (AF) 645 lenses as well some of their 645 zooms as tested on the 645D. In most cases I tested many samples of each lens in case their were any sub par samples and also posted these results. I haven't yet posted my observations and testing of the 600mm and new 25mm lenses yet but hope to get around to doing so and add to these published results. There is no shortage of exceptionally performing 645l lenses for the 645D and the quite a bit of info mentioned from others, in my opinion is just plain wrong.

I as well as others here speak from actually using the camera and many of the 645 lenses available as used ( and a few brand new)...not comments from Hersey or behind a counter. I own lenses from 35mm up to 600mm and have used the new 25mm lens. To find out the equivalent 35mm focal length of a given 645 lens on a 645D, simply multiply by 0.8 . For example, the Pentax 55mm 645 lens has a field of view similar to a 44mm lens on a 35m full frame camera. I"d post the link to my comprehensive tests but I"m on my cell phone and it's a bit too difficult to look it up at the moment. Advice given by 645D users on Getdpi members here is extremely valuable and accurate in my opinion and quite valuable. It's not that every legacy lens is perfect, but many are extremely fine performers and at their price point for a LN copy, they are truly bargains.

I don"t think there have been any 645D users that have been anything but enthusiastic about the performance of the camera. Those that might have sold theirs, is usually due to desiring a different feature set in a camera or something more compact. I at times have contemplated selling the one I use simply because I need a high end fast shooting very low light camera like the Nikon D4, but it's hard to let the Pentax go due to a level of performance at has rarely ever disappointed me and I am very critical of image quality and expectations of such.

Dave (D&A)
Thanks for the Advise Dave.

D&A

Thanks for the Advise Dave.
My pleasure! Talk to people who currently own or have own and used the 645D and you'll be surprised how enthusiastic most everyone is. Yes, some things can use imporvement, such as a faster processor that allows images to show up almost instantaniously on the rear LCD and improved write times and some other things...but what camera can't use some updating. What surprises most is how "right" Pentax got this one right off the bat.

Dave (D&A)

Shashin

If you read my Post I have used Pentax 67, 67 11 & 645 for over 20 years doing weddings. We were a Small Breed of Wedding Photographers and I used Pentax from 1980 to 2002. I even had the Leaf Shutter Lenses for the 67, the 90mm and 165mm. The Numerous other Wedding Photographers were using Hasselblad, Mamiya & Bronica. No I do not know much about the 645D System and I never said I did. When it was introduced with no Lenses I was advised to stay away and I did and 3 years later there are 2 Lenses, my appologies for saying 1 Lens. I have been told the Camera Store carries the 645D, I do not know where in Canada this store is. I live in Toronto the Largest City in Canada by far. The 3 Largest Camera Dealers in Canada have their head Offices here. Vistek (they never carried the camera) Headshots and Henrys. I am not sure if they still stock the 645D. The Pentax 645D does not Sell in Ontario. Like I said in my Previous Post, if Pentax introduces New Lenses I will buy the 645D or 645D 11.
You seem very angry about a camera you do not own. You also decided to take someone else's advice and not purchase one--was this a 645D owner? You also have not used Pentax products for ten years. I really don't get the beef nor how that relates to the OP's question. I am just taken back by the tone of your first post.

There are a number of 645D owners here that are always happy to share their experience, including myself--we all know the warts.

N

newmoon

Hello. This is my first post here.
I've seem posts of an updated lens roadmap for the 645D showing planned wide, normal and tele zooms. Not sure if I'm supposed to link to other forums, but a Google search finds the roadmap easily enough.
With rumours of a larger sensor on a 645D II, if this were the case would Pentax have altered the hood on the 25mm lens to make it compatible only with the current 645D sensor size (I think this is what has happened between the DFA and DA models)? I don't know but seems a little inconsistent.