The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A prediction

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
LOL i just use that camera as a example but yes you bottom feeder, yea you.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

You know I am joking

PeterA

Doug - do you have a link you dont mind sharing - regardng the Red Camera company roadmap?

pete

fotografz

"What do you call 1000 Wall Street brokers chained and thrown in the ocean after 1000 retired people beat them with a baseball bat?"

fotografz

This is very much a "tounge in cheek" post,however it should be said that I do think it a,albeit vague,possibility.Cameras could advance to an extent where the majority of a professional photographers advantage is anulled,ie,the quality of the image produced.The other weapon of all professionals is of course image selection,only presenting the good images,something we all do,amateur or professional.However all of us with any experience could go to anyones,I repeat anyones,stack of old negatives or digital files and find half a dozen stunning pictures,just waiting to be cropped,well printed and framed.As digital technology becomes more sophisticated that half dozen will possibly change to 50 %.Everyone smiling,stunning quality,beautifully lit.
Im just trying to open a maybe interesting discussion on what you think is next for the professional and where you think digital technology will take us and the millions of rank amateurs out there.
Film could be described as dead,its beginning and end are pretty well defined,it will become a very expensive alternative for affectionados,but maybe this will be its saving as the last refuge of professionals.
Rumors of film's death are greatly exaggerated.

That film is prohibitively expensive is a myth. It is expensive for machine gunning, promisicus shooters. It's also more costly for those who use labs to do everything.

I went "long" on film awhile ago ... I bought a Imacon 949 scanner instead of another digital camera system.

I have NOT dismantled my darkroom. I think that will be a terrific nitch offering in the near future.

I get much more joy from shooting a film camera because the camera "dissappears." I have yet to work with a digital camera I like as much as film cameras ... don't quite know why.

Fav Film cameras: Hasselblad V, Leica M6, Nikon F6

90% of my favorite images were shot on film. Also couldn't tell you why.

Like Guy, if I had to shoot film for commercial work I'd hang myself.

PeterA

Dale - the specs on these things are amazing ...finally some interesting new technology and design to get my mind around ...the sensor fil sizes on teh big boy are interesting- looks like a tiny 1gig in uncompressed size - before any manipulations..(GAGGING on storage implications.)

WOW is ll I can say...

yaya

Yair which scanner is that now. I would not mind for more fun type things to actually add a film back to my Mamiya MF body.

The place i was employed several years ago as the chief photographer we had a 8x10 Howtek drum scanner, it still sits there today collecting a lot of dust. Back than which is maybe 10 years ago or more we paid about 24k for it.
Kodak (Creo) scanners in particular the iQsmart family

Made on the same floor with the Leaf backs

Yair

Dale Allyn

Dale - the specs on these things are amazing ...finally some interesting new technology and design to get my mind around ...the sensor fil sizes on teh big boy are interesting- looks like a tiny 1gig in uncompressed size - before any manipulations..(GAGGING on storage implications.)

WOW is ll I can say...
Pete: Start shopping for your server farm now. No point in waiting until the last minute.

Oh, and Virginia Tech built a nice little super-computer out of a bunch of lowly Macs a couple of years ago. I think it was only 500 or so PowerMacs. They'll probably sell it cheap now.

;)

Kidding aside, that's one hell of a sensor (or sensor array?) on that 617.

d...

PeterA

Pete: Start shopping for your server farm now. No point in waiting until the last minute.

Oh, and Virginia Tech built a nice little super-computer out of a bunch of lowly Macs a couple of years ago. I think it was only 500 or so PowerMacs. They'll probably sell it cheap now.

;)

Kidding aside, that's one hell of a sensor (or sensor array?) on that 617.

d...
I am shaking my head - as in shaking my head - I have ( thankfully) resisted teh temptations of teh Linhoff technoramas for years..

now something like this is announced,,( admittedly at least a year away) but..WOW

the implicaions for visual media production are just mindblowing. comes with Linhof and Alpa mounts. wow wow wow

did I say wow?

-:)

Dale Allyn

The team at RED seem to "get" the flow of the space in which they work... looking forward. A good rep. for customer support, and gutsy innovation. It's fun to watch.

N

nei1

Doug,very interesting and lucid article,am enjoying the whole website.
Fotografz,Ive also recently bought a scanner (minolta 5400),the best money Ive ever spent on photography,apart from my M6.