The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

any one use Arca Rm3di with Kapture group KG-008 stitching back?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Why would you need to? You can stitch directly (and excellently) with the RM3Di adjustments.

m21apsh

Dear Jack,

I am wondering if I can get additional shifting with KG-008 without hitting camera's physical limitations. KG-008 should give you 3-4 cm in Shifting.

best

Jeff

Geoff

There is the chance that the opening in the back of the camera is larger than the sensor opening, and that by having the ability to stitch on the sliding back, one could avail themselves of the full opening. If (for example) the opening were 45 mm x 65 mm, and the back size were 33 x 44, then if the back were vertical, one could get two frames side by side without moving the camera back.

Now.... consider if the back of the camera could move as well, and things start to get interesting. The question might be phrased "if you could have a stitching back on the Arca, can you pick up any additional image space?"

RodK

This needs thought about what you want, as the wide angle lenses are not going to allow that much movement anyway as their image circles are smaller. With the smaller sensors, as someone suggested, you might build a larger file by stitching say 4 together. This can be done on the body without the sliding back. A sliding back will not necessarily give you more capability without taking the chosen lens' coverage into consideration. The throat of the Arca-Swiss RM3di being the largest available currently will give you the best opportunity to stitch both with and without the sliding back.

torger

How fast is the gearing to operate? If you stitch often I would think a stitching back with click-stops is far more effective to work with than turning self-locking geared knobs. I would guess there are several turns between each position? This can be frustrating if you're in a hurry, for example shooting a landscape scene with some moving elements.

With clickstops you move fast between the positions and don't do mistakes (turning too far/short etc)

Geoff

Rod has this right, but lets try to take it a bit further:

What happens if you put stitching on a tech camera - if the moving back on the camera has more movements than the lens will allow (say a wide angle lens with limitations) then the stitching back won't add more real estate, but might make it easier. It could possibly be less stressful on the camera mounting, so as to avoid any inadvertent movements of the camera?

If perhaps the back on the camera can go (for example) full left and full right 25 mm, or has a really big throat (and a lens with a wide circle), could it be that the normal "placement" of the sensor doesn't take full advantage of what is available? It would seem that a stitching back could help, by relocating the sensor more broadly all throughout the available camera (and lens circle) opening. I don't have experience with this first hand, but surely someone does.....its worth asking the question,tho. Anyone have any more thoughts?

RodK

How fast is the gearing to operate? If you stitch often I would think a stitching back with click-stops is far more effective to work with than turning self-locking geared knobs. I would guess there are several turns between each position? This can be frustrating if you're in a hurry, for example shooting a landscape scene with some moving elements.

With clickstops you move fast between the positions and don't do mistakes (turning too far/short etc)
The Arca-Swiss Rotaslide back has a cam rod which can rotate, with each facet having different click stops for the different sensor dimensions.
So if you need or like click stops, they are available on our back.
As we have a scale on each movement though, you could figure out the overlap required for your stitch and use that instead of a click system. The clicks are good in some cases but with different lenses requiring more or less overlap, they won't always be perfect either.