The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MFD sensors, who makes them?

pophoto

Hi Guys,

Once again I'm overwhelmed by asking yet another silly question, humor me folks!

I'm interested to know who makes today's more popular MFD sensors, just yesterday I remember them being Kodak and Dalsa. Has things changed as far as CCD and CMOS, like in the 35mm world?

Also anyone with insight as to the cost of say OEM MF 40MP sensor?

Thanks All!

Po

pophoto

Thanks Guys!

Is a compact MFD truly wishful thinking?

I say this because if we look at most if not all digital backs are still a solid brick, and while I know next nothing about the insides of one, manufacturers of Hasselblads, Phaseone, Mamiya used reference sensors, sensor boards etc., ultimately my thinking would compare this to building your own computer in the most basic of ways, stacking of boards and circuitry and minimal custom circuit boards or next to none. So opposed to custom integration of say an Apple laptop, down to even the battery design and chassis!

I dunno in regards to recent events, it makes me wonder, what is out there and what is really possible. Of course what is possible with financial limitations.

Shashin

A compact MFD is very possible, but either backs have been design for existing platforms or camera types have been made where being compact is not really a factor. But a MFD back on a Alpa TC with a compact lens is fairly small. If the mirror is removed, the Pentax 645D could be made much smaller as most of the back space is required for the reflex viewing.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks Guys!

Is a compact MFD truly wishful thinking?

I say this because if we look at most if not all digital backs are still a solid brick, and while I know next nothing about the insides of one, manufacturers of Hasselblads, Phaseone, Mamiya used reference sensors, sensor boards etc., ultimately my thinking would compare this to building your own computer in the most basic of ways, stacking of boards and circuitry and minimal custom circuit boards or next to none. So opposed to custom integration of say an Apple laptop, down to even the battery design and chassis!

I dunno in regards to recent events, it makes me wonder, what is out there and what is really possible. Of course what is possible with financial limitations.
Take a look at this video:
New industrial design | IQ series digital camera back - YouTube

In addition to this video I've spoken with several of the engineers on the IQ project and I can confirm this video is not ideal marketing BS. These are every bit as custom as an Apple laptop - the only "stock" component in the system is the battery which conforms to a standard video-battery spec. Every circuit board is 100% custom and even the four-core processor is Phase One's own in-house design (they provide the design to a CPU fabrication plant that takes orders for such custom silicone - no need for Phase One to become a 1-customer CPU fabrication center).

I'm sure in theory some more compactness could be achieved by placing some of those electronics in the body of an integrated SLR like the Pentax 645D. But one of the biggest advantages of a medium format back is it's ability to be removed from a body and placed on another body. So I don't foresee that happening with Team Phase One.

pophoto

Take a look at this video:
New industrial design | IQ series digital camera back - YouTube

In addition to this video I've spoken with several of the engineers on the IQ project and I can confirm this video is not ideal marketing BS. These are every bit as custom as an Apple laptop - the only "stock" component in the system is the battery which conforms to a standard video-battery spec. Every circuit board is 100% custom and even the four-core processor is Phase One's own in-house design (they provide the design to a CPU fabrication plant that takes orders for such custom silicone - no need for Phase One to become a 1-customer CPU fabrication center).

I'm sure in theory some more compactness could be achieved by placing some of those electronics in the body of an integrated SLR like the Pentax 645D. But one of the biggest advantages of a medium format back is it's ability to be removed from a body and placed on another body. So I don't foresee that happening with Team Phase One.
Doug, great video, exactly what I wanted to see!
My thinking is if the body depth can be further halved, and in particular the battery taking further customization. Obviously an expensive process, but I feel the components on the circuit boards can be smaller still. I'd like to see these backs maintain their ability to be mounted to different bodies. Obviously much thought and expense is taken in designing these backs, but I wonder if a company like PhaseOne worked with Sony and Apple engineers, this might be whole different product, obviously viability is in question, but like any technical exercise, I certainly feel this is possible after seeing the video.

Thanks for shares :)