The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographs with a story

malmac

Well, i never had that experience to go into a forest in the dark, i had similar story but not through forest, once i was in New Zealand, and i stayed to shoot one location there until dusk and the sky was cloudy fully and dark, and it was getting colder, so i decided to stop and go back, so i walked for about 3kms to get back to my cottage i stayed there, i was walking around to get there and i passed dark high trees and few houses, one of the houses has 2 llamas, one in black and his eyes was very scary, so my heart was beating strongly of fear, even when i got back to cottage i couldn't sleep as the cottage is a bit isolated and the houses are just surrounded but not so close.
Tareq

Now a photo of that black scary lama would have been hard but powerful.

Mal

Professional

Tareq

Now a photo of that black scary lama would have been hard but powerful.

Mal
I didn't have a MF system that time, also i was so afraid to shoot that time, and i am sure the darkness and i was waking lonely all add that scary scene, sure if i was walking in the day light i will never feel scared.

danlindberg

Yesterday I was to shoot a large building in Lund. 1 exterior shot with no time to plan or check weather and no brief from client. I do not like those imediate callouts cause there are so many factors by chance. And indeed it was horrible conditions when I arrived. Just about everything wrong with drizzling rain, cars and trucks in the view, completely flat light, terrible clouds, terrible everything.....I thought that even the best photoshopper in the world cannot turn this into a sellable image!

On my way home with lost hours, 100km driving and no results I wasn't in the best of moods. Then I saw a scene that looked nice despite weather conditions from the motorway. I thought, well, if nothing else, lets try and get one single image worthy of cardspace...
Finding the spot was another 10 minutes through countryroads from the nearest exit from the motorway. When there, the rain had intensified somewhat and I had to change the lens inside the car, put the camera on a tripod and cover it with an umbrella while walking out in the field.

It was now getting pretty dark and the wind picking up. I was longing home but after all the struggles I knew I just had to give this a last shot before forgetting the whole day.

It is a two image flatstich with the 120N and there is no attempt to try and lift anything but rather have it as it really was, dark, colourless, cold.

malmac

Yesterday I was to shoot a large building in Lund. 1 exterior shot with no time to plan or check weather and no brief from client. I do not like those imediate callouts cause there are so many factors by chance. And indeed it was horrible conditions when I arrived. Just about everything wrong with drizzling rain, cars and trucks in the view, completely flat light, terrible clouds, terrible everything.....I thought that even the best photoshopper in the world cannot turn this into a sellable image!

On my way home with lost hours, 100km driving and no results I wasn't in the best of moods. Then I saw a scene that looked nice despite weather conditions from the motorway. I thought, well, if nothing else, lets try and get one single image worthy of cardspace...
Finding the spot was another 10 minutes through countryroads from the nearest exit from the motorway. When there, the rain had intensified somewhat and I had to change the lens inside the car, put the camera on a tripod and cover it with an umbrella while walking out in the field.

It was now getting pretty dark and the wind picking up. I was longing home but after all the struggles I knew I just had to give this a last shot before forgetting the whole day.

It is a two image flatstich with the 120N and there is no attempt to try and lift anything but rather have it as it really was, dark, colourless, cold.

Dan know that crap feeling, nothing achieved then long drive home. It is a credit to you that you made the effort to make a fine image - I like your work it is a real inspiration to me and I am sure others here on the forum.

Mal

danlindberg

Thanks Mal, yes, crap feeling when an assignment goes sour. However, client recognize it had nothing to do with me so the gameplan actually changed. They now say 'anytime next week is fine'....:thumbup:

Living in the third world brings political and social issues that could be exotic and bizarre for many.

Expressing these feeling through what I think is iconic to it, interpreting and translating that reality. Hopefully..!

Uaiomex

Well, I'm scared too. This skull face I see is pretty awesome. Did you created it in PS or was it there already waiting for you?
Eduardo

I left well before sunup to get a photo of the sunrise. I had about a 10km drive from our campsite and then a kilometer walk through dense rain forest to a lookout on the edge of a range. When I got to a small pull off area to park there was another car already parked but no one around. Using my torch I walked out along a rough track through the forest which was pitch black except for my torch beam. All the time I expected to hear or see a light from the owners of the other car.

I got out to the edge of the range and to get a better shot I followed the edge of the range along through the forest without any track. After spending an hour or more in the dark, the sun lightened the sky and eventually rose. Just after dawn I took this photo of the vines and shadows.

I admit I was scared in the forest and my mind started building scary images out of the random patterns of nature. A primeval experience but another doorway to the immagination.

mal

etrump

I was nearly killed in a hiking accident where a bluff line I was standing on collapsed. A year later I found myself standing alone on an expedition ship in Antarctica facing this scene. It was 2:30am and the rest of the passengers were all asleep. One of those solitary moments that will stay with me the rest of my life.

malmac

Eduardo

When I was a small child we lived in a remote location with no mains electricity, so just kerosene lanterns for light. The darkness furnished lots of fuel for my immagined fears.

On this morning it was like those childhood fears returned with the isolation of the forest.
I have accentuated the shadows and lights in photoshop to bring to life how I experienced the forest.

So the answer is yes Photoshop was used to pull the skull like face out of the scene, but the fear of death put into my immagination.

Mal

dchew

First my disclaimer: This is not a MF image. It's 35mm Velvia. But I feel like this is my community, so please don't make me post this in the Canon thread. :)

In 2004 I went skiing to Jackson Hole with friends. One day grabbed x-country skis and took off by myself from Moose Junction with grand vistas on my mind. It snowed two feet that day. Couldn't see 50 feet let alone any of the peaks. But as Galen used to say, you can fight it and try to take the photo you had in your minds eye, or you can make adjustments and go with the flow. So here is what I got by going with the flow...

Dave

Here's one with a moral at the end. It was a very overcast day and my daughter and I were in the pool, we also went off to the beach together. Stupidly we didn't put sun-block on (it was actually raining at one point) but you can see here that we had both gotten quite badly sunburned. At the time I couldn't see it, nor feel it, I guess during the day the sun broke through for a period and that was that. We could only go swimming in the evening after the sun had dropped for the remainder of the vacation. When I look at this image, I think how damned stupid I was.

RZ PRO IID, IQ160

malmac

First my disclaimer: This is not a MF image. It's 35mm Velvia. But I feel like this is my community, so please don't make me post this in the Canon thread. :)

In 2004 I went skiing to Jackson Hole with friends. One day grabbed x-country skis and took off by myself from Moose Junction with grand vistas on my mind. It snowed two feet that day. Couldn't see 50 feet let alone any of the peaks. But as Galen used to say, you can fight it and try to take the photo you had in your minds eye, or you can make adjustments and go with the flow. So here is what I got by going with the flow...

Dave

A poignant image (painfully sharp to the emotions or senses).
Thanks for sharing here.

Mal

malmac

I am interested in psychology and in exploring my psychological experience of reality. I use image making and writing as tools in this journey.

This image explores the contrast between the quiet mind that can camly reflect on life against the turmoil that occurs in my perceptions when emotion sweeps away any measured considerations.

The image is obviously a composite in photoshop. four images were used. Two of the still water focus stacked to get clean focus from foreground to background and two images of the swirling water that occurs below a small weir on which I was standing to take the still water. In the second image of the swirling water I used deliberate camera movement to accentuate the effect.

Phase One 645Df 55mm SK LS.

Thank you for taking the time to read about this image.

Mal