Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Photographs with a story

Post Thanks / Like

Photographs with a story

Add a dimension to your photograph!

Quite often when I look at a photograph I wish I knew a little more of how it came about or what it is that I am looking at.
    Was it planned, or simply shot by being in the right place at the right time?

Write a couple of lines enhancing the scene. Words to describe atmosphere, smells or who the people are that we can see! A 'not-so-brilliant' photograph might become very interersting when we get some background information that is impossible to know just by looking.

I for one have plenty of photographs with a story in the back of my head. I am going to share some of those and hope you do the same!

You do not need to write a lot, you just need to add another dimension, be it serious, comic or a plain fact. And Any kind of medium format capture is fine.

A year ago me and one of my daughters and her two friends went deep into the woods to build a hovel/little kids house that was going to be their secret. We had a great time and they talked about this for a while afterwards, but finally it faded away. Until last Friday!
    Suddenly my daughter looked at me and said in a deadserious voice - 'Dad, we must go and check on our little house in the woods'. I thought it would be a nice walk and we called the other two kids that were with us that first time and they wanted to come along as well.
    I made some hot chocolate and brought some cookies in one bag, The Alpa MAX + 120N in another bag...Let's go. It is 15 minutes by car and then atleast half an hour walk. Was it going to be there?

First we didn't see it, but finally we did. The little house was there, sort of. It was not in the best of shape but all three kids screamed in happiness and started to collect twigs and repairing. I unpacked the Alpa and started to look for some nice light...

Almost an hour later, I was just about to shoot a scene when all three came rushing towards me shouting for hot chocolate and cookies. I replied that, 'sure, easy now, let me just photograph this one and then we sit down for a bite'. Did they listen? No. They were jumping up and down, singing, annoying me on purpose, not letting go. My daughter shouted to me that they all wanted to be in the picture and that they will keep on dancing and jumping up and down until I take that picture. I believe her. (The problem is, how do I explain that with little light, base iso 25 I need 1 second exposure with the 120 wide open. I doubt that she would grasp the difficulty in this being 8 years old). I made the exposure so that they would calm down a tad. They all rushed to see the preview on the back and imediately one said - 'cool, we're ghosts in the forest'!

Back home I went through 20-25 exposures in the woods and the only one I liked was the one I did not want to shoot. Funny that isn't. The kids did it! They even provided me with the title:

Ghosts in the forest.

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Photographs with a story

It's fun to do things with the kids!

Post Thanks / Like

The argument could be heard by everyone. The half a dozen people waiting for the train felt uneasy. Hard words were being exchanged. The woman was crying and threw her set of keys onto the tracks and started to walk away. He shouted as loud as he could that where ever she'd go, he'll find her. She responded by giving him the finger without looking back, without stop walking.

In the photograph she is walking towards the light. Maybe to a new life.

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, i prefer this kind of photos rather than doing many test shots even nicely done.

I feel day after day photographers here and on another sites such as LuLu just doing normal shots even for projects because they buy many new gear or up to date high end, i lost the feel of art and story-telling shots, so i go to another sites where people don't care about gear or getting latest in photography equipment and just focus on doing masterpiece and fine-arts with whatever gear they have, even i have some expensive gear but i feel myself i only want to compete with others who has more gear and not focusing on getting photos that can last for long time.

Good job Dan, but can you shoot with film or some cheaper gear than your Alpa+SK[lenses]+Leaf?!!!!
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Should we post story-telling shots here with MF gear or we can post from any photographic gear even a phone cam?
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Tareq, Thanks and the answer is yes to if I could shoot film. I started shooting in the mid seventies and got a Linhof Supertechnica at the age of 10. I have no idea of how many rolls of film I have exposed, but plenty. However, it has been many years since the last time. One of my favorites was a standard outfit Hasselblad 500CM and the Zeiss 80/2.8 loaded with Ilford HP5. Small, light outfit and lovely grain from the film.
    Regarding if it has to be medium format for this thread, well, I do not personally mind but we are in the medium format section and I would like to keep it here....

Talking about film, if you do not mind me cross-posting (which I normally never do) I posted recently an image shot by film and had a story to go with it.....(Fuji GX680III & Velvia)

It is 1998 in July, late afternoon. I'm driving a Land Rover Defender outside of Córdoba, Spain. No A/C in the 4x4 and it is terribly hot. The sun is punishing everything and everybody down below. My watersupply is about to end and I am dizzy. Thinking that, this is it, I'll call it a day and look for an airconditioned hotel and put myself in the bar with a cold beer after a long cold shower.

Blinded by this thought I am concentrated on the countryroad leading back to Córdoba Town. Almost there, a bus has turned over and blocking the road. Sitting in a 4x4 Defender I was tempted to simply go around the whole accident (which I easily could have) but there were quite a lot of people already and I felt that a manouver like that could be offensive. As far I could tell the bus was empty except for the driver and he seemed ok, so no concerns on injured people.

Oh well, I'll sit it out. Sweating away with all windows down. Going easy on the little amount of water I still have. After several minutes I turn my head to the right and see farmland in a very typically graphical layout that really always catches my attention. Thinking to myself, 'could be a nice one', but don't have the strength to do something about it.

When half an hour has lapsed and I can see the difficulty the rescueteam has to get the bus out of the way I decide to kill a few minutes with a shot over the field.
    I stumble out of the door and unfold my big heavy Gitzo by the side of the road. Take out the mighty Fuji GX 680 III and change lens to the 250mm. Isolating the field completely. Standing on the roadside (slightly above the field) I put on a 5mm fall and add around 2 degrees front tilt. With the camera loaded with Velvia 50 (always) I get a reading of 1/125 & f16 from the Sekonic 508. And bang...there it is. A photograph made almost 15 years ago and it still works.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great idea this thread..

I will be back with a story or two!

Post Thanks / Like

This was taken on the IQ180 not far from Mount Isa in North West Queensland.
    I have been reading Arthur Koestler's book, "The Act of Creation" where he writes about planes of reference which overlap at a point which is logical but an unexpected connection.

Here the rocks crashing down the hill side made a graph like profile, reminding me of the 2007/2008 stock market crash.

Mal

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What kind of story to be captured, the problem some photos even posting some story details i still can't see it in the photos, so i don't know if i understand the story or not, i want to get the story from the photo itself without reading anything as details, for example, out of the 4 photos posted above, only the second one got my attention and told me a story, the other 3 i see it more as just moment snapshot and don't make me to think more or beyond that moment of shooting.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, Tareq, that's the point, isn't it? A shot that you normally would not have connected with, now with the added background, provides an extra dimension. I've always liked when songwriters will talk about how the lyrics came about, and it's sort of the same idea here.

I agree, though, the second one needed no story as the image had a story of its own. I suppose one could even argue that it may be even better to leave the story in the mind of the viewer to wonder. But, suspense kills me, I rather know the real story
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    Well, Tareq, that's the point, isn't it? A shot that you normally would not have connected with, now with the added background, provides an extra dimension. I've always liked when songwriters will talk about how the lyrics came about, and it's sort of the same idea here.

I agree, though, the second one needed no story as the image had a story of its own. I suppose one could even argue that it may be even better to leave the story in the mind of the viewer to wonder. But, suspense kills me, I rather know the real story
    Well, as you mentioned, the point, and i will say that is true to a point too, not everything written could be understandable, mostly if some shots are about culture or part of life somewhere, sometimes that can be interesting, but on another hand it might not, and shame to tell you that and i am so ashamed to say it that we are arabs are not good in reading stories, we just go with what we see not what we read, so whatever you write about your shot, if it doesn't attract my eye i will never care what did you write [explanations, descriptions,...etc] about your shot or what is between the lines, so for us arabs if you want to tell us about stories, how can you make our minds accepting your shots?
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel

Great post and a few thoughts . The art of visual story telling is a really fun part of photography . As an amateur ....I play for the joy of the game . Your illustrations certainly convey a love for the process and its shows that you are really looking .

The two examples however are quite different . The ghosts in the forest image tells the story without words . I can hear the laughter just by looking at the image . The story is somewhat interesting but very personal . The 2nd example looks to be an interesting composition where the women plays a key role . However it does not draw my attention to the woman s situation . In this case the photograph falls well short of the story which is much stronger ..so I would say its a very nice photograph but not a good illustration of visual story telling .

I read the Lens Blog at the NYT everyday ....you can see the story in the image ..the words might provide context (like location and key people in the image ). but each photograph tells a story .

Excellent post.
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Read the story from this shot if you can

Tareq
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm tempted to post a picture here, but the subject was killed about two minutes after I took the last shot. I was the photographer for my niece's wedding, and we were at the dinner after the rehearsal. The dinner was more of a picnic held at a grass airfield in a brand new hangar. The bride's father was taking people up in his private airplane and another pilot was taking people up in aerobatic bi-plane for thrilling stunt rides. After taking the last pictures of the groom's brother as the passenger in the front seat of the aerobatic airplane, the pilot, and the mother looking on in pride, the airplane took off. A short time later the airplane went down after losing power on takeoff. The groom's brother was killed instantly, and the pilot died one month to the day later.

My pictures were used at both the funerals. Out of respect for the family I am not posting images here. So, I guess this is a story without a picture. Sometimes we do not realize the importance of our pictures, but I can tell you that many of my pictures have been the last taken of an individual.

Greg
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Back in 1996, I was doing some work for the Chicago Housing Authority, to outline their rebuilding effort. This included an honest assessment of the current shortcomings, some of which was very grim.

This shot was taken after walking through some apartments. After this, my client wanted someone who could fit in and approach the residents more casually. I thought the emptiness in this shot was fitting.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the beauty of humans. We do not think alike. The same joke might drive somebody to tears in laughter and the neighbour does not find it funny a bit. A favorite dish to somebody might be disgusting to his best friend. A background story attached to a photograph might ruin the perception of it for some, while it might enhance the feel and atmosphere for someone else.

I believe this is a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool if that is the idea, i agree about it to be different, i thought it was to accept all the stories telling even it is not our cups of tea, i respect all the stories and i may understand some, but i am not forced to accept them all if they are not going with what i think/belief/feel...whatever.
    Tareq

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Practically all my project work has a story attached but it's not MF I'm afraid
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think maybe the thread title could be misleading... it suggested that here are pictures that has a story built-in.

Re-reading OP's intro, he's suggesting for the photographer to write a few lines to fill in the story for a photo that may not have that quality, and by doing so, completing the picture for the viewers.

In either case, more pictures, please!
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a road that i go by when i was working in a far area belongs to our emirate/city called Ajman, i was driving about 120km one way 3-5 days every week, i hate driving to that area due to no much works there and i hate my job, but this trip way is giving me an opportunity to see nature around, in the winter it is very interesting, not in summer, just i will miss passing on that road again because after i left my job last year and then returned this year i told them i no longer able to drive to there.

Here is another shot along that way:

Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by malmac View Post

This was taken on the IQ180 not far from Mount Isa in North West Queensland.
    I have been reading Arthur Koestler's book, "The Act of Creation" where he writes about planes of reference which overlap at a point which is logical but an unexpected connection.

Here the rocks crashing down the hill side made a graph like profile, reminding me of the 2007/2008 stock market crash.

Mal
    Great book, I read it in 1965 and still recall his use of puns as illustration of the intersection of planes of meaning.

Extending your thoughts: the crumbled rocks in the foreground are in the same shape as the financial resources of those in the market.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't know what i can tell about this photo, all what i can say about it is that it is photo i had in my mind as an idea to submit for a gallery of our photography club, the gallery title or theme is "A word and a photo/image", so i asked me friend whose hand in that shot to help me, and because the photo must include a word or letter i didn't a better way than including books, i don't like to add words by photoshop as most of the photos submitted were, and i took this idea from one of our historical famous arabic writer who died under his books/publications that time.

I miss my friend, he is so humble and funny, don't know if i will meet him again somewhere to have some common ideas in photography, i forgot to mention that he is into photography as well, he is from Saudi Arabia.
    Tareq

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post
    I'm tempted to post a picture here, but the subject was killed about two minutes after I took the last shot. I was the photographer for my niece's wedding, and we were at the dinner after the rehearsal. The dinner was more of a picnic held at a grass airfield in a brand new hangar. The bride's father was taking people up in his private airplane and another pilot was taking people up in aerobatic bi-plane for thrilling stunt rides. After taking the last pictures of the groom's brother as the passenger in the front seat of the aerobatic airplane, the pilot, and the mother looking on in pride, the airplane took off. A short time later the airplane went down after losing power on takeoff. The groom's brother was killed instantly, and the pilot died one month to the day later.

My pictures were used at both the funerals. Out of respect for the family I am not posting images here. So, I guess this is a story without a picture. Sometimes we do not realize the importance of our pictures, but I can tell you that many of my pictures have been the last taken of an individual.

Greg
    I've seldom read a better justification for just getting out and shoot shoot shoot. I'm sure that despite the sad story that those pictures of joy before the incident resonate well with the grieving parties.

Coincidentally, one of my best photo buddies started a trek with me and a friend down to New Mexico & Texas a week or so ago knowing that his father was certainly terminally ill. We shot and fully expected the call to go home. Ironically his business partner was killed unexpectedly in a car wreck at the weekend and he had to return home early. Two days later his father passed away but he was home .... Fate works strangely sometimes.

However, what I take from all of this is that life is short, excuses are easy, just get out and follow your creative dreams now because you never know what is around the corner. Ditto shooting - shoot it NOW anyway because experience confirms that what you don't shoot will be gone unexpectedly tomorrow.

Sorry for the deep comments but as you get older this all becomes very very real.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 1st October 2012 at 19:59.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

I’m just back from a recent trip to Greece. Amongst the projects was a planned shoot at Lovokomeio, the former leprosy colony and hospital in Chios. The colony which was founded by the Genoese in 1378 is the oldest medical facility in Greece. Destroyed by an earthquake in 1881 and rebuilt in 1909 it was eventually abandoned in 1959.

Mixed emotions on the shoot, above all I felt the presence of the patients. To this day the colony is virtually unknown and has been left to decay.

Forgotten Lives.

http://www.keithlaban.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a a young boy, I often played on the attic of my grandmothers house.
    One day I found a cardboard box with hundreds of b&w negatives and some photos.
    I looked at all this negatives and was fascinated, I thought the smell of the b&w films and photos was very interesting. Now 45 years later I'm a professinal photographer.
    When I open the box I still feel like a child……
    Here's a scan:
    Last edited by Y Sol; 16th November 2013 at 14:16.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    I’m just back from a recent trip to Greece. Amongst the projects was a planned shoot at Lovokomeio, the former leprosy colony and hospital in Chios. The colony which was founded by the Genoese in 1378 is the oldest medical facility in Greece. Destroyed by an earthquake in 1881 and rebuilt in 1909 it was eventually abandoned in 1959.

Mixed emotions on the shoot, above all I felt the presence of the patients. To this day the colony is virtually unknown and has been left to decay.

Forgotten Lives.

Very evocative Keith!
    Looking forward to the new portfolio.
    Best, S

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To this day the colony is virtually unknown and has been left to decay.
    And that is a good thing. Leper colonies should have been abandoned long before that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Leper colonies should have been abandoned long before that.
    Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed.
    Unfortunately Leprosy can be difficult to treat - even today:
    Leprosy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Effective treatment only became available late in the 20th Century.

It is a rather mysterious bug, not unlike TB, which is a still a public health problem.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is not that leprosy is easy to treat, it was the social stigma and isolation that leprosy patients had to endure.

Post Thanks / Like

As I said, mixed emotions. Before effective treatment became available the social stigma was such that there was little alternative to the colonies.

Lovokomeio was partially funded by The Red Cross and provided much needed treatment and care. It was regarded as a progressive model for such communities. Thankfully it is no longer needed.

Sadly the colonies persist elsewhere.
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Y Sol View Post
    When I was a a young boy, I often played on the attic of my grandmothers house.
    One day I found a cardboard box with hundreds of b&w negatives and some photos.
    I looked at all this negatives and was fascinated, I thought the smell of the b&w films and photos was very interesting. Now 45 years later I'm a professinal photographer.
    When I open the box I still feel like a child……
    Here's a scan:
    Priceless memory

Post Thanks / Like

A weekend full of memories. Spending time with an old friend for the first time in 20 years. Talking about the good 'ol days, fishing, cooking, drinking wine and suddenly two days had passed. Time to wave goodbye with the promise of staying in touch. I wave until the taillights have vanished in the distance...

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My wife grew up on a sheep property in North Western Queensland - we went out and camped on the creek near the old shearing shed. This image shows the wool prees she used as a teenager, the wool scales and the very floorboards she walked across so many times - the door way to the left is where they all sat around and had their 'smoko' breaks. The property no longer has sheep, only cattle so the shed has not been used for many years.

This image was taken right on day break with the warm rays of the winter sun flooding into the woolshed.

645DF, IQ180 55mmSK lens. 3 images stacked to extend the dynamic range. Colour is as taken - no increase in saturation.

Mal

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice image Mal.
    Reminds me of my childhood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Read the story from this shot if you can

Tareq

I like this image . It is a good image , telling either a true or a false open end story .
    What I ask myself , by looking at the image again and again , what are the blue , cyan and magenta diagonal stripes in the sky .
    Was this real ? ? ? Hard to believe .
    Can you see these stripes already in PHOCUS or are they a result of post processing ? ? ?
    In any case , I think , this is not normal . What has gone wrong ? ? ?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Tareq

I like this image . It is a good image , telling either a true or a false open end story .
    What I ask myself , by looking at the image again and again , what are the blue , cyan and magenta diagonal stripes in the sky .
    Was this real ? ? ? Hard to believe .
    Can you see these stripes already in PHOCUS or are they a result of post processing ? ? ?
    In any case , I think , this is not normal . What has gone wrong ? ? ?
    You should answer these questions by yourself.
    This is from post processing, i don't know what i did to get it, i tried to get rid of it, the original one doesn't have it, but in fact, i liked it at the end even it is not normal or not true.
    Tareq

johnlee2012

I always love the photos with story telling inside, although there is no word inside but the pic can tell everything

BTW more picture please ...

Post Thanks / Like

I left well before sunup to get a photo of the sunrise. I had about a 10km drive from our campsite and then a kilometer walk through dense rain forest to a lookout on the edge of a range. When I got to a small pull off area to park there was another car already parked but no one around. Using my torch I walked out along a rough track through the forest which was pitch black except for my torch beam. All the time I expected to hear or see a light from the owners of the other car.

I got out to the edge of the range and to get a better shot I followed the edge of the range along through the forest without any track. After spending an hour or more in the dark, the sun lightened the sky and eventually rose. Just after dawn I took this photo of the vines and shadows.

I admit I was scared in the forest and my mind started building scary images out of the random patterns of nature. A primeval experience but another doorway to the immagination.

mal
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I left well before sunup to get a photo of the sunrise. I had about a 10km drive from our campsite and then a kilometer walk through dense rain forest to a lookout on the edge of a range. When I got to a small pull off area to park there was another car already parked but no one around. Using my torch I walked out along a rough track through the forest which was pitch black except for my torch beam. All the time I expected to hear or see a light from the owners of the other car.

I got out to the edge of the range and to get a better shot I followed the edge of the range along through the forest without any track. After spending an hour or more in the dark, the sun lightened the sky and eventually rose. Just after dawn I took this photo of the vines and shadows.

I admit I was scared in the forest and my mind started building scary images out of the random patterns of nature. A primeval experience but another doorway to the immagination.

mal
    Well, i never had that experience to go into a forest in the dark, i had similar story but not through forest, once i was in New Zealand, and i stayed to shoot one location there until dusk and the sky was cloudy fully and dark, and it was getting colder, so i decided to stop and go back, so i walked for about 3kms to get back to my cottage i stayed there, i was walking around to get there and i passed dark high trees and few houses, one of the houses has 2 llamas, one in black and his eyes was very scary, so my heart was beating strongly of fear, even when i got back to cottage i couldn't sleep as the cottage is a bit isolated and the houses are just surrounded but not so close.

Nice shot anyway.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Well, i never had that experience to go into a forest in the dark, i had similar story but not through forest, once i was in New Zealand, and i stayed to shoot one location there until dusk and the sky was cloudy fully and dark, and it was getting colder, so i decided to stop and go back, so i walked for about 3kms to get back to my cottage i stayed there, i was walking around to get there and i passed dark high trees and few houses, one of the houses has 2 llamas, one in black and his eyes was very scary, so my heart was beating strongly of fear, even when i got back to cottage i couldn't sleep as the cottage is a bit isolated and the houses are just surrounded but not so close.
    Tareq

Now a photo of that black scary lama would have been hard but powerful.

Mal

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tareq

Now a photo of that black scary lama would have been hard but powerful.

Mal
    I didn't have a MF system that time, also i was so afraid to shoot that time, and i am sure the darkness and i was waking lonely all add that scary scene, sure if i was walking in the day light i will never feel scared.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I was to shoot a large building in Lund. 1 exterior shot with no time to plan or check weather and no brief from client. I do not like those imediate callouts cause there are so many factors by chance. And indeed it was horrible conditions when I arrived. Just about everything wrong with drizzling rain, cars and trucks in the view, completely flat light, terrible clouds, terrible everything.....I thought that even the best photoshopper in the world cannot turn this into a sellable image!

On my way home with lost hours, 100km driving and no results I wasn't in the best of moods. Then I saw a scene that looked nice despite weather conditions from the motorway. I thought, well, if nothing else, lets try and get one single image worthy of cardspace...
    Finding the spot was another 10 minutes through countryroads from the nearest exit from the motorway. When there, the rain had intensified somewhat and I had to change the lens inside the car, put the camera on a tripod and cover it with an umbrella while walking out in the field.

It was now getting pretty dark and the wind picking up. I was longing home but after all the struggles I knew I just had to give this a last shot before forgetting the whole day.

It is a two image flatstich with the 120N and there is no attempt to try and lift anything but rather have it as it really was, dark, colourless, cold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Yesterday I was to shoot a large building in Lund. 1 exterior shot with no time to plan or check weather and no brief from client. I do not like those imediate callouts cause there are so many factors by chance. And indeed it was horrible conditions when I arrived. Just about everything wrong with drizzling rain, cars and trucks in the view, completely flat light, terrible clouds, terrible everything.....I thought that even the best photoshopper in the world cannot turn this into a sellable image!

On my way home with lost hours, 100km driving and no results I wasn't in the best of moods. Then I saw a scene that looked nice despite weather conditions from the motorway. I thought, well, if nothing else, lets try and get one single image worthy of cardspace...
    Finding the spot was another 10 minutes through countryroads from the nearest exit from the motorway. When there, the rain had intensified somewhat and I had to change the lens inside the car, put the camera on a tripod and cover it with an umbrella while walking out in the field.

It was now getting pretty dark and the wind picking up. I was longing home but after all the struggles I knew I just had to give this a last shot before forgetting the whole day.

It is a two image flatstich with the 120N and there is no attempt to try and lift anything but rather have it as it really was, dark, colourless, cold.

Dan know that crap feeling, nothing achieved then long drive home. It is a credit to you that you made the effort to make a fine image - I like your work it is a real inspiration to me and I am sure others here on the forum.

Mal

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mal, yes, crap feeling when an assignment goes sour. However, client recognize it had nothing to do with me so the gameplan actually changed. They now say 'anytime next week is fine'....

Post Thanks / Like

Living in the third world brings political and social issues that could be exotic and bizarre for many.

Expressing these feeling through what I think is iconic to it, interpreting and translating that reality. Hopefully..!

www.achdigital.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm scared too. This skull face I see is pretty awesome. Did you created it in PS or was it there already waiting for you?
    Eduardo

mal

Post Thanks / Like

I was nearly killed in a hiking accident where a bluff line I was standing on collapsed. A year later I found myself standing alone on an expedition ship in Antarctica facing this scene. It was 2:30am and the rest of the passengers were all asleep. One of those solitary moments that will stay with me the rest of my life.
    Ed Cooley Fine Art Photography

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Eduardo

When I was a small child we lived in a remote location with no mains electricity, so just kerosene lanterns for light. The darkness furnished lots of fuel for my immagined fears.

On this morning it was like those childhood fears returned with the isolation of the forest.
    I have accentuated the shadows and lights in photoshop to bring to life how I experienced the forest.

So the answer is yes Photoshop was used to pull the skull like face out of the scene, but the fear of death put into my immagination.

Mal

Post Thanks / Like

First my disclaimer: This is not a MF image. It's 35mm Velvia. But I feel like this is my community, so please don't make me post this in the Canon thread.

In 2004 I went skiing to Jackson Hole with friends. One day grabbed x-country skis and took off by myself from Moose Junction with grand vistas on my mind. It snowed two feet that day. Couldn't see 50 feet let alone any of the peaks. But as Galen used to say, you can fight it and try to take the photo you had in your minds eye, or you can make adjustments and go with the flow. So here is what I got by going with the flow...

Dave