The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P65+ better than IQ180?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm another IQ160 vs IQ180 convert.

I looked carefully when I upgraded from my P40+ and decided pretty early on that the upgrade to the IQ180 was going to be a major commitment in new glass to support it with my Alpa. If you're a Schneider glass owner the step up to the 80mp sensor was a killer on glass and pretty much mandated a swap over to Rodenstock retrofocus wides. This was NOT a cheap option and for me would have been at least $8k on top of the extra $8k IQ180 increment. Guy had already convinced me to give up on my new sportscar and bite the IQ bullet - heck, he even facilitated it with the dealer for me! (Btw Guy, what happened to the beer & hookers you promised on that deal??).

So yes, if you have the means to support the 80mp back's lens habits then you absolutely would be able to wring the best out of the upgrade. For many of us though the 60mp full frame sensor backs are the absolute sweet spot with low drama, great performance, lower price point (haa haa did I say that?? :ROTFL:) and generally just a lot less potential hassle. Of course, would I like an 80mp back and would I take one if it was given to me? Of course!

Btw, regarding the batteries I can recommend the Brother PT-1230PC label printer. I use the transparent tape with white lettering and it looks spiffy on my batteries. Better yet, the PC app produces labels with unique numbers so that you know which battery is which. It'll even print "Libby-type' cursive labels :D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey you where supposed to get that for me. Lol

Okay than Vodka and fish stories is about all I can handle. LOL

torger

When the IQ series was announced, there wasn't a Phase One sponsored upgrade path for the IQ160 for those who already had the P65+. It was the IQ180. It was a sweet deal for sure, and didn't make financial sense to get the IQ160, extra pixels be damned.
If I was in that situation I'd probably go for the IQ180 too. I've been a bit surprised how many tech cam users that use the IQ180 rather than the IQ160, but I guess this is the answer. The upgrade paths Phase One choose to make available makes it easier to choose the way Phase One prefers :)

kdphotography

60 megapixels on the IQ160 interface would have been fine by me (and probably a whole lot of other IQ180 converts from the P65+). But I think the Phase One initial strategy was to get as many of the flagship IQ180 MFDBs into photographer's hands as possible. Afterall, what better marketing is there than presence in the field, getting your flagship MFDB with its wonderful new touchscreen interface shown around, and being used by photographer's familiar with Phase One MFDBs to boot...

No regrets here. But *yikes* you're pretty much relegated to the newer D series and SK LS glass on the DF body or Rodenstocks (wide) on tech camera bodies...

Professional

This thread will hold me back for the future to go with 80mp, i will think again about IQ180 as i may better go with IQ160, just i have 60mp DB Hassy and wanted to go higher, but if i will get some issues or limitations of any kind then better go with less mp then, will see what next year will come out with from P1.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Only issues really are with a tech cam and the older Schneider lenses in the wide area 24,35 XL's. On a DF not a issue at all and if you do buy it for a tech cam you just need to buy Rodie lenses in either 23,28,32 after that the Rodie 40 and/or SK 43 work just fine and above. Bottom line in SK the starting point is 43mm. Rodies no issues

Professional

Only issues really are with a tech cam and the older Schneider lenses in the wide area 24,35 XL's. On a DF not a issue at all and if you do buy it for a tech cam you just need to buy Rodie lenses in either 23,28,32 after that the Rodie 40 and/or SK 43 work just fine and above. Bottom line in SK the starting point is 43mm. Rodies no issues
So first to buy the tech camera, then the digital back, then lenses that can match that combo, no thanks, i don't have enough money to buy all these, getting the back alone will cost a fortune, so to add for body and lenses is too much!

etrump

My perspective is as a tech only shooter.

The P65+ is a fantastic back and the 60mp sensor in the IQ series is an even better solution. I would have to agree that it may be a sweep spot for most photographers. Bang for the buck especially on a tech camera with Schneider glass up to 35mm is incredible. If you are trying to squeeze into a high-end back and technical camera you will be very happy with a p65+ or IQ160 solution.

In all fairness though, you have to do the same procedures in terms of light and color management for both the 60mp and 80mp sensors for the highest quality results. The main difference is the cost and weight of the HR glass required on the IQ180. I switched to the rhodenstock glass when I used the p65+ because the wide angle LCC code was not available making both the sk24 and sk35 (with shifts) unusable. By the time the 180 was announced, I already had the HR glass so I didn't freak like most who still had the sk glass.

That said, there is always a price and pain premium between the bleeding edge at the top of the curve and a step down. Personally, part of the enjoyment of my craft is the balance of art and technology. If your technique or equipment has any issues the 180 will call you out. I had more trouble making the p45 to p65+ transition than the step up to the IQ180. As a self-taught technician, I get great satisfaction knowing my personally developed techniques are producing quality results with the most demanding equipment. Even after a year with this kit I feel like I am still expanding into the capabilities. The DR and file quality is a substantial improvement over the P65+ but it takes more effort.

I have never wished I hadn't upgraded.

P.S. thanks for the kind words, they are a great encouragement.