The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DF on camera flash

cunim

This comes up periodically but perhaps there is something new? I have a Yongnuo flash I use manually on the DF and that would be fine - but the unit is wildly unreliable. More often than not it will turn itself off between shots. I think it is better with absolutely fresh batteries, but still bad. Maybe the YN flashes just do this, or maybe I have a bad one.

Anyway, has anyone got a better suggestion for a manual flash on the DF?

Peter

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Metz with the SCA adapter is the typical suggestion. Provides for a variety of power/sizes, reliable operation, and TTL metering.

Re: your current flash... you should check the manual to make sure there is not a custom function or custom sequence of buttons (or hidden toggle switch e.g. inside the battery compartment) that controls when the flash goes to sleep. I have no experience with this brand so this advice falls in the category of educated guess; it's very possible there is no such option on that system.

dizzyg44

I've used my SB-800 (manually) on my DF body many times, no issues. Greatest flash Nikon ever put out and I refuse to get rid of it. Sad thing is they are so good used ones cost more than they were new.....

malmac

I use the Canon 580Ex2 in manual mode.

Went looking for a Metz but the sca module was supposedly being revised and I was advides to wait. Just havn't got back to seeing if the new/revised sca module is now released. That would give TTL functionality.

As a side issue. I have found when I use the TT5 pocket wizard as a radio trigger unit,

1. it needs to be reset in the utility software to work properly - I set C2 to function as a manual trigger - and that goes for the receiving TT5 as well. I leave C1 for use with my Canon camera gear.

2. If I want to use the 580Ex2 on the hot shoe on top of the TT5, I tape off the contacts on the TT5 and run a cable from flash to the pc on the camera - this allows the flash (in manual mode only) to fire and the TT5 to trigger the remote flashes. All manual but it works.

Mal

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Metz 54 MZ-4i with SCA3952 will give you on camera automation with the DF. It took me a year to find one but they're out there.

Until I found one I used standard Vivitars in manual mode with a PocketWizard Plus II on the body and remote on the flash. The PW's cost about 2x the flashes but I had them already. You need to use the sync cords to make it reliable and it worked well for me for small cheap portable manual flash outdoors.

cunim

Thanks for the advice. Seems that we are still waiting for a current-production solution. I will stick with the flaky YN for the moment. Bad but cheap. Issue only arose because I was trying to catch a puppy. Given the DF autofocus (aaargh), it's hard enough with a flash that works perfectly!

Yes, I know. Don't shoot puppies with MF.

pesto

Yes, I know. Don't shoot puppies with MF.[/QUOTE]

Well I don't know about puppies but I shoot kittens and cats on a regular basis with my PhaseOne system. Here is one from a few days ago.

Last edited:

ondebanks

Metz 54 MZ-4i with SCA3952 will give you on camera automation with the DF. It took me a year to find one but they're out there.
+1.

A few months ago, I picked up a Metz 54MZ-3 with the correct SCA3952 adapter for my 645AFD...ebay...$150. It wasn't a really high priority, but when I saw the rare combo at a good price, I pounced!

There's not a lot of difference in flash performance over the $15 ProMaster FTD 5700 I had been using, but it delivers major convenience upgrades. The camera tells it the ISO, aperture, and focal length; so it has an auto power zoom head (very handy with my 55-110 AF zoom). It tells the camera when it's charged and ready, so Ivget viewfinder confirmation. And of course it offers TTL flash metering, stroboscopic mode, LCD info, etc. and dedicated adapters to my other cameras.

AFAIK there has been no change to the SCA adapter from the AFD to the AFDII, AFDIII, and DF. The AF (non-D) used the SCA3951 adapter.

Ray