The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phamiya 645III bricked - HELP!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Guys, and thanks for your patience!

The saga continues. My dealer has lent me an 80mm 2.8 Mamiya lens to try out against my soft-focussing kit lens and in the process of shooting trial shots I have fallen foul of the MUP issue whereby holding on to the shutter release for a micro second too long to on the shutter activation press causes the mirror to drop then flip up again. Now the mirror is stuck up and no amount of fiddling with dials and switches will get it to drop again.

Any advice very gratefully received!

Oh, and the dealer has agreed to replace the lens if I want and has also confirmed that the problems I've been having with the charger are a known issue and that it too will be replaced. SO if I can't get the *&%$* mirror to come down it'll be a perfect three out of three.
:angry:

Dale Allyn

Have you tried removing the batteries from the AFD III?
Removing the battery was my initial thought too. I have to do this occasionally to my AFD II for a different hiccup. Easy to overlook if when one is frustrated.

Edit: you posted while I was typing that you had thought of it. I'd go for it for sure. Never heard of a safety issue in doing so (other than during a firmware update).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim:

The funky MLU sticking thing was a glitch in firmwares through 1.2 -- pressing the shutter in MLU mode without the back turned on is what causes it. I had the issue a few times and corrected it by turning the camera off and removing the back. The mirror will still stick up if you do that with the new firmware, but the new FW allows the stuck MLU to drop with a simple camera off :thumbup:

Note that most of the other weird body behavior issues I've had have been mostly attributed to weak or dead batteries in the body -- something to keep in mind to check for future issues.

Cheers,

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jack - I remembered Michael Reichmann saying something similar but I think AFAIK that it's a body firmware not a back firmware thang?

This place is awesome. It's so much better than DPreview!

t

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hey Jack, I just went to the Phase One website to try to find latest body firmware and I can't really see where the download might be. Is it better to go to the Mamiya site or are the firmwares different?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Here's a link for the firmware for the back: http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/09/15/firmware-update-for-p-backs-326/

You can see your firmware version for the back via the menus. I did not opt to do this update (yet).

The body has to be sent in for firmware updates at this time. They're saying approx. 48 hour turnaround time.
Hi Dayle,

Don't you mean vice versa? I though the body was user firmware updatable but the back had to go... back!?

EDIT: I got this the wrong way round... sorry!

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Nope. The back is user update-able. See the link for info. The body requires a "black box" or something to do the job so requires that certain service centers do it.

As I understand it, the body is returned to you overnight, free of charge so turnaround is said to be fast.

Hope that helps.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The body requires a "black box" or something to do the job so requires that certain service centers do it.
That's correct, but I think it may be free 2-day return shipping and a small added charge for overnight...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tim stop scaring us. I read this on my Iphone and my heart sank with that title. I thought you threw it against a brick wall. LOL

Paul2660

Be aware that if you batteries get low, this can happen also, either the mirror will freeze or the shutter will freeze open. The batteries in the camera, not the back.

Often during a shoot, I forget to check the battery readout and then I will get a frozen mirror or shutter. Quick fix is the pull the pack, rotate a few of the batteries in the holder (always seems to give them a tad more life), replace the pack, the the camera will finish whatever operation was frozen.

Still not sure why Mamiya can't design a LI pack shaped like the AA battery holder that is rechargeable.

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Dale Allyn

Still not sure why Mamiya can't design a LI pack shaped like the AA battery holder that is rechargeable.
Sony once supplied a rechargeable battery pack which was little more than two AAs sealed into the pack with I/O connectors added. Variations of this concept are common among all types of hand tools.

I appreciate that the Mamiyas accept AAs, but I'd prefer an approach more like we have in DSLRs. No one wants rare and hard to find battery requirements, but an OEM solution would be more convenient in my opinion. An option to use AAs in a pinch would of course be icing.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
And those of us using these old, tired out, discontinued, worthless Contax bodies just go merrily shooting away, unaware of anything to do with "firmware" confusions or upgrades....:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Here is what we need the body takes the same battery as the back. So you have two of the same batteries that run it all. We all have plenty of batteries i carry 5 of them but the nice part is they use the same charger and in a rush no worries about finding this battery or that battery just slap in one of your many batteries. The Phase batteries will last a long time in the camera to run it's functions and you just don't have to worry about running out of juice. You always have spares and a car charger if needed and the hahnel chargers the Phase batteries pretty fast. Easy solution and they can also cut the size down on the grip since the battery is smaller than 6 AA batteries