The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One 645 Camera Rechargeable battery system

Analog6

Can anyone direct me to US stores that might astock this item? Shopping around for the best price. So far it is £475 ($AUD752) from Teamwork Digital in the UK.

I seem to be forever changing the AA batteries in my Mamiya 645DF, and I have yet to find rechargeable AAs that really keep their charge well. Any recommended brands there would be appreciated too.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I can't speak for the original branded Phase One battery system but if you look at the advertisers above and click on Capture Integration you'll find that they have the original EJJI battery system in stock. (eStore -> AF/DF Accessories)

Is it any good? Well, my camera has been faultless in operation and not locked up once since I've been using it. That's good enough for me. :thumbs:

Analog6

Thanks Graham, I have them bookmarked and didn't think of looking there.

EDITED TO ADD: Oh no! They have one and it's the old 'We don't ship internationally' story. WHY do so many US stores refuse! It's so parochial. Off to canvas my US friends for on-postage. I thiought it might be because it is a battery but they ship whole backs internationally and they have a battery in them.

malmac

Odille

Richard down at L and P in Sydney sells the new EJJI rechargables.
L & P Digital Photographic - Buy Online
$528 australian dollars for two batteries and charger.

As far as double A's go we use Powermax which we ordered online out of USA. They work fairly well but lately I have been using Energizer Ultimate Lithium - non rechargable - very good but expensive.

Now the 645+ has been released, which I do not plan to upgrade to, I think I will buy the EJJI battery system for the 645DF. On the assumption that we won't see a really new camera system for the Phase backs for at least another two years (my guess).

Mal
Toowoomba

Steve Hendrix

Thanks Graham, I have them bookmarked and didn't think of looking there.

EDITED TO ADD: Oh no! They have one and it's the old 'We don't ship internationally' story. WHY do so many US stores refuse! It's so parochial. Off to canvas my US friends for on-postage. I thiought it might be because it is a battery but they ship whole backs internationally and they have a battery in them.

Hi A6 -

Sorry, but our eStore does not - yet - have automatic international checkout. However, we do ship internationally, you'll simply need to contact our Atlanta office either by phone or email.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Analog6

Odille

Richard down at L and P in Sydney sells the new EJJI rechargables.
L & P Digital Photographic - Buy Online
$528 australian dollars for two batteries and charger.

As far as double A's go we use Powermax which we ordered online out of USA. They work fairly well but lately I have been using Energizer Ultimate Lithium - non rechargable - very good but expensive.

Now the 645+ has been released, which I do not plan to upgrade to, I think I will buy the EJJI battery system for the 645DF. On the assumption that we won't see a really new camera system for the Phase backs for at least another two years (my guess).

Mal
Toowoomba
Thanks Mal, for one battery and charger L & P are cheaper than Capture Integration and it's local postage. I'll probably go for the 2 battery kit though.

kdphotography

The two battery rechargeable EJJI kit is nice---I have one, but honestly I could have easily just got the one battery and charger. A single battery just keeps going and going and going...

Don Libby

You won't find me disagreeing much with Ken. However. I bought 2 batteries and haven't regretted it. It's nice to shoot hundreds of images without any thought of the battery. I've had to switch over just once in the middle of the day; charging the other battery at the end of the day after I got back. Kind of like wearing both a belt and suspenders. Just wish the back batteries would last as long....

Don

steve_cor

I can't speak for the original branded Phase One battery system but if you look at the advertisers above and click on Capture Integration you'll find that they have the original EJJI battery system in stock. (eStore -> AF/DF Accessories)

Is it any good? Well, my camera has been faultless in operation and not locked up once since I've been using it. That's good enough for me. :thumbs:
Turns out, the EJJI battery doesn't fit in the Phase One charger, and the Phase One battery doesn't fit in the EJJI charger. Phase One has made the "U" shape in the battery pack a little wider, and the corresponding notch in the charger a little wider to match. The cutout in the EJJI battery is too narrow to fit over the center notch. Going the other way doesn't work either. Phase One has made the outer edge on the bottom right a larger curve on the outside. When lowering the battery into the charging base, the Phase One battery is too big to fit into the EJJI charger.

These little changes only affect the charging base. You can fit either battery into your camera body with no problem.

So, if you think you can add an EJJI battery for your Phase One charger to save a little money, better think again.

--Steve.

MB100

If you ask me, its better to buy the PhaseOne because at least they can offer support on it more readily. I am thinking about picking one up for mine too

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Good to know about the slight differences. Thanks.

I got the dual EJII pack like ken and don. I've never had to use the 2nd battery yet but I agree with don that having a backup / spare definitely gives you peace of mind.

kdphotography

Steve,

Thanks for the update on charger differences between the EJII and the Phase version. That minor difference could be upsetting to find out otherwise---and should be publicized.

Battery life is really incredible with this Li ion camera battery pack---and I'm glad that it is standard issue on the new DF+ body.

ken