The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help re tech camera lenses please

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm contemplating moving to a tech camera. I would use it with my Phase IQ 180. I particularly need tilt for landscape work; I'm less interested in shift and wide image circles.

From reading posts here it seems the favoured makes are Schneider and Rodenstock. So what are the best in the 45-55 range, the 75-90 and 150 mm ranges?

Thanks!
Bill

dchew

Bill,
Since you are not too concerned about wide shifting, both Schneider and Rodenstock would work for you. In general, from about 50mm down Rodi's are more popular because of shifting (they are retrofocus so the light hits the sensor at less of an angle). I had the Schneider 43xl on the IQ180 and I thought it did quite well, although you cannot shift it much because of the color cast. That's the widest you are thinking of, so I don't think you should worry too much about that issue.

In general on the wide end 40 - 70mm:
Rodi's are bigger, Schneiders are smaller and lighter.
Rodi's might be slightly sharper wide open, but there are exceptions like the SK60
Rodi's shift better
Schneiders have lower distortion

For longer lenses most tend toward Schneiders. The sk120 is great. So is the 150mm

So depending on what you shoot, I would suggest:
SK 43 SK 47 or Rodi 50

Rodi 70, SK 72 or Rodi 90 (this one is new and should be excellent)

SK 150

Dave

Shashin

Even with just tilt, the image circle will limit how far you can tilt the lens. So image circle is still going to be a factor.

dchew

Even with just tilt, the image circle will limit how far you can tilt the lens. So image circle is still going to be a factor.
Yeah. The other thing I didn't mention is depending on the camera system, you may or may not be able to tilt with the SK 43/47 (Alpa for instance). I eventually sold the 43 and am switching to the Rodi 40 because with Alpa I can now tilt with the Rodi. But I will really miss the small size of the sk43 :(

kdphotography

With the IQ180 and your ~listed focal lengths, I'd suggest looking at the Rodenstock HR40; consider the just announced at Photokina new Rodenstock 90mm; At the longer end, Rodie or SK 150mm

ken

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Bill,

I agree with Ken. I would start with the Rodenstock HR40 T/S and go from there. It is a spectacular lens.

Pramote

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bill,

Hard to go wrong with a Rodie 32 or 40 as your wide, a SK 60 or Rodie 70 as your normal, and a SK 120 as your long. There is no really stellar large IC 100/105 yet, but that would be my ideal long landscape lens if there were.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bill need to think about what body your after too. Here your choices are Arca and Cambo mostly for tilting. Arca tilt is on the body. Cambo tilt is on the lens mount. So we need to go about what system you want to get into maybe first with glass in mind.

kdphotography

I think I just heard the rallying cry of Dante's Forum leaders: C'mon everybody gather 'round! This is the fun part where we get to spend someone else's (that's you, Bill!) money! :thumbs:

:ROTFL:

dchew

Bill need to think about what body your after too. Here your choices are Arca and Cambo mostly for tilting. Arca tilt is on the body. Cambo tilt is on the lens mount. So we need to go about what system you want to get into maybe first with glass in mind.
Actually all the lenses mentioned so far (except for the SK43/47) can now be tilted on Alpa as well.

Dave

RodK

Just one comment: The Arca-Swiss R cameras have the sturdiest lens mount available and the finest focus pitch. Also, any lens with sufficient coverage can be tilted on the R body, as the tilt is built in. The body comes with grips, tripod mount, and ground glass included.
The body does not require shimming, only a test for focus factor. Multiple backs can be used easily with unique focus factors for each.
Just some info.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Wow, what a great Forum this is! Instant and valuable advice from those who know what they're talking about. Thank you all - I shall heed your input.

As far as a body is concerned, I'm leaning towards Arca because of its built-in tilt but I'm still researching. Shame Arca doesn't do the Web - but thanks Rod for your site. Very useful.

And Ken, I'll be sure to tell you all how I spent my money. As far as my wife is concerned, it's all Jack and Guy's fault because they invented this Inferno.

Again, thanks.

Bill

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We have a Remote Demo Center set up with [video + audio + screen sharing + raw file sharing] if you'd like to see the Arca in action (and in comparison to other options).

Nothing can substitute for your own hands on testing. But this is as good as it gets short of it being in your hands.

Paul2660

Bill, another sleeper lens is the Rodenstock 105mm in the older Apo-Sironar digital lineup. 125mm image circle and very very sharp. I don't have a IQ180, but the 160, but on the 160 the 105 was very impressive for me even shifted to 25mm. No need for a physical CF either.

By it's outward appearances the 105 looks very small, but by the time you add the necessary Arca rings (spacers) to it (4) it becomes a bit larger. Cambo and Alpa will have a similar requirement of a spacer.

Paul

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
In my opinion the absolute best lens kit (regarding performance and spread of focal lengths) right now - cost aside:
- 23HR
- 32HR (or 28XL on a 6+ micron back)
- 60XL (the new one)
- 90HR (the new one)
- 120XL

Three caveats:
1) The 60XL in this proposed kit would often be used in a two-frame stitch in order to become an effective 40-50mm range lens (filling in what would otherwise be a relatively significant gap).
2) I have NOT personally tested the 90HR. But the two individuals I have spoken with who have are not particularly prone to hyperbole and have extremely good things to say about this lens.
3) In the world of tech cameras there are no dog-lenses. There are not really even "ok" lenses. The worst lens in the Schneider/Rodenstock digital lens line is "great". So to some extent discussing which lenses are the "best" is an effort to distinguish "great" from "amazingly great". Many users will be far better off making their decision based on image circles, price, weight, size, specific desired focal lengths, or availability on the pre-owned/demo market, rather than quibbling over their relative performance. This is a world of lenses VERY different than even the best lens lines in the world of SLRs. Even with Zeiss, Schneider, Phase One, and other top quality SLR lenses there some mediocre lenses. This is just not the case with Schneider/Rodenstock tech camera lenses.

Paul2660

Also, don't forget anything over 105mm, i.e. 120, 150 requires removing the back and placing a spacer between the back and back of the tech camera. This is true I know for sure on the Schneider 120 XL and 150 as I looked at both. Pretty sure Rodenstock has the same issue. I also believe this is true with all 3 brands of tech camera, I know for sure Cambo and Arca require it.

Personally I did not want and still don't want to mess with the spacer in the field. Just one more way to drop something. I agree the 120 is a great lens and I wanted one but the spacer was an issue for me and I compromised on the 105mm and so far it's been excellent.

Paul

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
120 for cambo can be ordered in a mount without spacer required.

Bit awkward looking, but looks aside a good option for that length. But it is prone to barrel vignette with larger movements.

It can also be ordered in a mount with spacer required. That prevents barrel-vignette issues. It also (optionally) adds the ability to tilt/swing. Which for some long landscape shots can be very very helpful.

Often the spacer can be packed with something else inside it so that not much additional pack-space is required. However, it's still a definite consideration for those looking for a moderate-long lens; if pack space and convenience is important than a 90mm HR or other mid-long lens may be a better option.

dchew

...Many users will be far better off making their decision based on image circles, price, weight, size, specific desired focal lengths, or availability on the pre-owned/demo market, rather than quibbling over their relative performance.
Couldn't agree more. Bill, since the focal lengths you mentioned are very similar to mine, I'll tell you what I have settled on. I've never been too good at shooting really wide lenses, so my selection is a bit longer than most but matches your list pretty well:
40hr-w
70hr-w
100hr-s
150xl

I'm not thrilled with the 100hr-s because of the image circle and mine has a bit of a problem wide open on one side. But regardless I can shift the 150mm all the way to about the 100mm FOV, so I often don't even take it. I too am hoping someone updates a 105 or 110mm. I'd be all over that if it had a big IC.

Also, as I mentioned I started with the 43xl not the 40hr, mainly because I liked its size. Now that Alpa has shift with the 40hr, that pushed me over the edge to switch.

For me it all starts with deciding what your widest angle is going to be, then gap up from there.

Dave