The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Joey Lawrence...

Shashin

He is a talented photographer and they are beautiful photographs. I am not really a fan of artificial lighting and constructed scenes as documentary photography.

Anders_HK

Yup, been following his work for a year or two at least. He is extremely talented, and very young for his skills.

Look for more videos, there are more including when he was on Marc Silber show.

I honest find his work very extremely impressive. What he shot in Ethipopia and Indonesia of his personal work is top notch, as also his commercial works of course.

Artificial lighting and constructed scenes... why not? It is extremely well made. His photos truly speak. Or as he say on Marc Sillber show they speak of the subject and of the photographer. He really took time to get to know his subjects and to portrait them to the very best.

Best regards,
Anders

Shashin

Artificial lighting and constructed scenes... why not?
Because I find the images more about the photographer than the subjects. It is also a sanitized/sentimental view of the world that I find rather uninteresting. But it does make appealing images--Chris Rainer and Phil Borges do this kind of work and have made rich visual statements. Different strokes for different folks.

fotografz

There is beauty in everything, and in everyone from all different cultures and places.

This young man is out there finding it and capturing it with a singular vision ... and I found it interesting to see how powerful the stills are compared to the video. It is actually startling.

The video is obviously about the photographer and the fact he uses this or that gear ... However, IMO the stills he is there to get are not about him, but instead are about his vision of the subjects ... and his vision of how to capture them ... like any good photography.

I like the enormous dignity conveyed as opposed to the usual cliche' stuff you see in exotic locations ... obviously, lighting is part of that depiction, and this fellow goes to great lengths to make that happen in some pretty hard to get locations.

Inspirational.

Thanks for sharing,

-Marc

Professional

There is another person who did shoot with medium format similar to this guy, but more interesting and more appealing, if you want to see that person shots just let me know.

Anders_HK

There is beauty in everything, and in everyone from all different cultures and places.

This young man is out there finding it and capturing it with a singular vision ... and I found it interesting to see how powerful the stills are compared to the video. It is actually startling.

The video is obviously about the photographer and the fact he uses this or that gear ... However, IMO the stills he is there to get are not about him, but instead are about his vision of the subjects ... and his vision of how to capture them ... like any good photography.

I like the enormous dignity conveyed as opposed to the usual cliche' stuff you see in exotic locations ... obviously, lighting is part of that depiction, and this fellow goes to great lengths to make that happen in some pretty hard to get locations.

Inspirational.

Thanks for sharing,

-Marc
My bold in red in above - EXACTLY :thumbs:

In contrast per a google search for images by Chris Rainer and Phil Borges, I find their images of depressing looking people and lacking to capture my attention. Yet, perhaps the depressed and sad look is how the west imagine many of these people. Having travelled much I disagree, these simple people have loads to teach us and have also dignity. The still images of Joey L are extremely powerful in communicating that, and not only the picture, but his story makes them also alive. :thumbs:

His Faces of a Vanishing World is a worthwhile 25 usd download; Faces Of a Vanishing World | Joey L. Store
It shows the installation in NY and how the pictures are taken down and brought back to the rightful owners in Ethiopia. That is the link much often forgotten, to bring back to the ones we portrait.

In my own view his work is top notch and among the best out there, his young age simply makes it more impressive. Above all, very highly inspirational.

Best regards,
Anders

Professional

Anders_HK

In my view Joey L is a complete different and higher level. He has really taken his high level professional commercial/fashion studio techniques and brought it all out to the bush. :D

The other current photographer I am equally impressed of is in another genre (landscapes) and is Peter Lik.

Vlad

OK

His name is "Suchet Suwanmongkol"

Here is one link of his work with H4D-60

Papua New Guinea Photo Gallery by Suchet Suwanmongkol at pbase.com

I liked his photos from Venice Carnival, I am very impressed about his works, they are something else, in fact he made me to think hard now to do similar to his work, but i know he has his own technique of post processing, the camera and lighting are not that difficult part anyway.
Suchet's work is something else. Just spent an hour browsing through his Pbase. :eek:

pophoto

I think there are many talented photographers, I don't believe in stating which one is better, especially as an artist. I am equally inspired by all the photogs here. Since this thread is about Joey L. I love his work and he inspired me quite a few years ago, especially knowing how young he is. As long as this is his art and he keep growing with it, I will only appreciate it more. I love hearing about other names too, many of which I don't know of their work, please share if you find them inspiring!

Professional

I hope one day i can be a name to inspire others, i will always do my best, but i am ar away from art because of my bad situation in life, once i get better life then i can talk or speak with my work with any format i use even iPhone and Pinhole that i have, but for now, i just watch others work, and what making me jealous is that someone like Joey L. is so young and he get far with his photography, while i am getting old i still didn't reach even 1/10 of what he did, he has a medium format at his young age, what he will have when he become older then?

pophoto

Tareq,

It's like said about comparing artists, its not fair to even compare yourself, just enjoy your art and share it and be proud of it. Joey L. is obviously the rock star of the photography world, but the are many others too, but there are many equally talented enthusiasts who are not known to the world and don't wish for the fame! I say this coming from an illustration and fine art background!

I only hope the bad situation that you speak about will improve, and remember creativity exists in the mind, and photography just happens to be one of the many outlets in life.

All the best! God bless.
Po

Professional

Tareq,

It's like said about comparing artists, its not fair to even compare yourself, just enjoy your art and share it and be proud of it. Joey L. is obviously the rock star of the photography world, but the are many others too, but there are many equally talented enthusiasts who are not known to the world and don't wish for the fame! I say this coming from an illustration and fine art background!

I only hope the bad situation that you speak about will improve, and remember creativity exists in the mind, and photography just happens to be one of the many outlets in life.

All the best! God bless.
Po
Thank you!

Sure i will do my best and i will never give up photography, also i will have my own style, to become a professional is a matter of time and situation in my country or life, who knows.

Dan Santoso

It is to darken the background with non LS lens. I dont know for what other purposes.

With LS he can shoot up to 1/1600 is his profoto can handle it.