The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Joey Lawrence...

Dan Santoso

Btw i cant believe he brought a C stand into a freaking forest with 8 hours hiking..an octa in a C stand in middle of jungle...3 thumps up!!

Mike M

In terms of form, he's just another strobist shooting to the standard issue formulas. The technique might be impressive to people with a limited vocabulary, but it's old-hack to those that have been around for awhile and are aware of a larger space of possibles.

In terms of content, he is able to get access to valorized subject matter (like celebrities, exotic 3rd world peoples etc) and this is probably what distinguishes his work. However, access to subject matter is based on social factors (like money, resources and networking etc) and shouldn't be confused with form.

He's got charisma and is well liked, so he should have a good career ahead of him...

fotografz

What might those larger space possibilities be Mike?

I'm not sure "hackneyed" is a term I'd use for good solid technique applied to a not so often seen subject presented in a dignified manner. Maybe enough technique is ... well, enough, rather than too much.

While I'd agree that "access" is a key factor, I wouldn't say it is the only thing that distinguishes his work ... otherwise, all one would need is money, resources, and networking to make powerful images. There are an abundance of monied enthusiasts with grand social and political connections traveling the globe with the best money can buy ... speaking of hackneyed.

-Marc

Professional

I believe the Ethiopia shoot was sponsored by phase one and profoto,the Phase/Schneiders allow flash sync at 1/1600th so maybe the ND filters were not needed to kill DOF
Yes, and even if he was using a ND filter, any ND filter can do the job, i have one from Hoya and another one from SinghRay, i don't use it much for these kind of shots where i can use higher shutter speed, my Hassy can go up to only 1/800 which almost half of that of Phase One, still it is too much to kill DoF.

homeiss

I believe the Ethiopia shoot was sponsored by phase one and profoto,the Phase/Schneiders allow flash sync at 1/1600th so maybe the ND filters were not needed to kill DOF
I don't think he used the leaf shutter lenses on that shoot. If you watch the first video posted in this thread and pause around 4:10, the lens doesn't have the leaf shutter symbol. Looks like the 80mm D lens to me; which would max out at 1/125 flash sync. Also, in the same video at 3:50 you can see him putting a ND filter into his filter holder. ;)

xinchenc

Yes, and even if he was using a ND filter, any ND filter can do the job, i have one from Hoya and another one from SinghRay, i don't use it much for these kind of shots where i can use higher shutter speed, my Hassy can go up to only 1/800 which almost half of that of Phase One, still it is too much to kill DoF.
If your power pack can not reach very low output (lower than 7~8Ws), it is very normal to use a 1~3-stop ND filter to dark the scene the reach shallow DoF (it a common knowledge to do that in the PAST FILM AGE). Please do not forget, most digital backs can reach ISO 35 or even ISO 25, it is another 1-1/3 or 2 stops slower than normal 135 digital camera. It is very normal to get the Joey L shooting results with medium format digital back in strobing photo.

I would say I cannot believe a simple filter in front of a lens could make so many people think he is telant. The photography is degenerating.

There is nothing needed to be surpised about Joey's way to shoot and his shooting results, a normal result..

Professional

If your power pack can not reach very low output (lower than 7~8Ws), it is very normal to use a 1~3-stop ND filter to dark the scene the reach shallow DoF (it a common knowledge to do that in the PAST FILM AGE). Please do not forget, most digital backs can reach ISO 35 or even ISO 25, it is another 1-1/3 or 2 stops slower than normal 135 digital camera. It is very normal to get the Joey L shooting results with medium format digital back in strobing photo.

I would say I cannot believe a simple filter in front of a lens could make so many people think he is telant. The photography is degenerating.

There is nothing needed to be surpised about Joey's way to shoot and his shooting results, a normal result..
Well, i did shoot one person before outdoor near Burj Khalifa with one strobe only using my Hasselblad, i didn't use filters, and i got amazing results, it is not difficult to shoot with wider aperture on MF lenses if i can go up to 1/500-1/1600, the light power can go down enough or at least taking it a bit further away from the model, ND filter can be used if those 2 methods didn't cut it yet, but honestly speaking, i don't think his way of shooting there is any big deal, anyone of you with a strobe and good photography gear can do the same, just the style/vision may change not the photography shooting techniques mostly.

fotografz

Agreed, it is a "normal result". A result one would come to expect if familiar with the use of strobes ... and more a part of the craft of photography.

I seriously doubt anyone here is equating the use of a ND filter with "Talent" ... this is a also a learning forum, so people are interested in how something was done, and the levels of knowledge may vary reader to reader.

There are a lot of people who are new to, or have never used, strobe lighting but may be interested in doing so. Gotta start somewhere ... and I don't think it is productive to make them feel stupid when they ask questions just because you know the answer, or you think it is just normal results. It isn't normal if you know zip about lighting.

Lighting aside, I'm sincerely interested in why some think this photography to be "degenerating" ... which means having lost physical, mental or moral qualities considered normal or desirable. What is normal in this case? What expectations lead one to think this to be degenerating?

-Marc

xinchenc

Just because someone takes a Phaseone with Profoto B2 to take some pictures in the Suburbs of the earth, then he or she is a telanted photographer?

Someone could always do something you do not know, but it may not be that he or she is telant. In these days, there are too much praise of a photographer just because he or she can take pictures with a battery power pack?

Noboby needs to feel stupid here and you need not praise a photographer without self-respect. Again photography is degenerating everywhere in this world.

Agreed, it is a "normal result". A result one would come to expect if familiar with the use of strobes ... and more a part of the craft of photography.

I seriously doubt anyone here is equating the use of a ND filter with "Talent" ... this is a also a learning forum, so people are interested in how something was done, and the levels of knowledge may vary reader to reader.

There are a lot of people who are new to, or have never used, strobe lighting but may be interested in doing so. Gotta start somewhere ... and I don't think it is productive to make them feel stupid when they ask questions just because you know the answer, or you think it is just normal results. It isn't normal if you know zip about lighting.

Lighting aside, I'm sincerely interested in why some think this photography to be "degenerating" ... which means having lost physical, mental or moral qualities considered normal or desirable. What is normal in this case? What expectations lead one to think this to be degenerating?

-Marc

Anders_HK

I am surprised that attention gets hung up on his lighting techniques or wherenots... the end result and key is in his images that are very powerful and speak.

Argument of filter or lighting per norm seems a tad like wining when someone is really good at producing pictures...

Anders_HK

Just because someone takes a Phaseone with Profoto B2 to take some pictures in the Suburbs of the earth, then he or she is a telanted photographer?
Oh dear. Just because we shoot MFDB we should not be permitted to bring it out to portrait the poor?

Just look at the quality of his pictures...

You may also check out his commercial works... :toocool:

Mike M

Again photography is degenerating everywhere in this world.
Agreed

The level of photography conversation is also degenerating. Insecure amateurs and precariously positioned professionals attack all opinion that isn't relativist. Any talk of hierarchies, social or otherwise, makes them really uncomfortable.

fotografz

Someone could always do something you do not know, but it may not be that he or she is telant. In these days, there are too much praise of a photographer just because he or she can take pictures with a battery power pack?

Noboby needs to feel stupid here and you need not praise a photographer without self-respect. Again photography is degenerating everywhere in this world.
It seems you are fixated on what gear was used as some measure of talent in the minds of other people, as opposed to what resulted from it. The only reason people are asking questions about the gear is because they find the work interesting, wonder how it was done, and obviously don't know the answer so are curious.

Otherwise, who cares what was used? Gear doesn't equal talent or the lack of it, and no one has said that or even implied it ... except you by implication.

Gear CAN effect the quality of the image, but not necessarily the content. While it is true that anyone could do something you do not know, but do it poorly, do you really think these photos to be done poorly?

I was struck by the sincerity of the photographer as exhibited by the contact with the subjects, and that he provided images to the subjects afterwards. Perhaps it is all just an elaborate grift, and 100% exploitive to further the photographers notoriety?

In reality, I have no idea as to what the artist's intent was ... I do not know him or discussed his intent. It could be that it is all exploitive photography for all I know. All I can do is react viscerally to the results which ain't all bad ... but most certainly not earth shattering to anyone that knows lighting ... I just wouldn't go so far as to question the man's talent out of jealousy for his work and resulting notoriety.

However, without understanding the intent, I could say the same of what could be seen as aggressively derivative Elephant photos that exploitively play to the public's sympathies on a very surface level with almost no new insight ... just Elephants as yet another object, nicely photographed.

As with any Art, photo or not, the Artists intent is key to a more in-depth grasp of what they are trying to achieve. Things that may appear mundane may have a deeper intent than is apparent on the surface. A perfect example of this could be the highly recognized and valued conceptual photography of Uta Barth ... who has never left her home to make her images ... a recent recipient of a highly regarded Fellowship:

Uta Barth

I also do not agree that photography is "degenerating everywhere in this world". It is proliferating amongst the masses of the relatively visually uneducated, but that doesn't mean no one is doing anything of consequence to advance the art of photography.

Interesting discussion, if nothing else.

-Marc

bahr

The guy has a vision regarding his chosen subject matter. He considers how to achieve the look he wants and executes the technique perfectly. Who cares what filter blah blah blah or leaf shutter blah blah blah. The final result is what draws the attention.

Before my fortunate move to Mfdb I used an 8 stop nd with acute 2400 to get a similar look in some of my work. Is that really a reason for me to hate on joey l???. Nope.

I think regardless of gear his photos have an impact. This is what people give him credit for.

It's all about the finished result and I find his photos quite beautiful.

Professional

Always when a photographer who be in public popular in something then discussion about talent and gear and art is coming to surface always.

I remember about Dragan, Anne Leib, Jill Greenberg, Dave Hill, Joel,.....etc, i mean when i look at it, i see it is almost 2 things that play in all of their works:

1. Concept of what to shoot and how to make them look the way the shooter want.

2. Workflow, they all use same gear content[High end DSLR or MF/LF and some lights whether Profoto or similar high end lighting], but then they do manipulate and workflow their works that most members mainly beginners amazed about how they did that even if they use same equipment and they even never ask about talent and just ask, which camera, which lens, what light, filters....etc.