Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Joey Lawrence...

Post Thanks / Like

Joey Lawrence...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Joey Lawrence...

He is a talented photographer and they are beautiful photographs. I am not really a fan of artificial lighting and constructed scenes as documentary photography.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, been following his work for a year or two at least. He is extremely talented, and very young for his skills.

Look for more videos, there are more including when he was on Marc Silber show.

I honest find his work very extremely impressive. What he shot in Ethipopia and Indonesia of his personal work is top notch, as also his commercial works of course.

Artificial lighting and constructed scenes... why not? It is extremely well made. His photos truly speak. Or as he say on Marc Sillber show they speak of the subject and of the photographer. He really took time to get to know his subjects and to portrait them to the very best.

Best regards,
    Anders

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    Artificial lighting and constructed scenes... why not?
    Because I find the images more about the photographer than the subjects. It is also a sanitized/sentimental view of the world that I find rather uninteresting. But it does make appealing images--Chris Rainer and Phil Borges do this kind of work and have made rich visual statements. Different strokes for different folks.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to take a look to these photographers.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is beauty in everything, and in everyone from all different cultures and places.

This young man is out there finding it and capturing it with a singular vision ... and I found it interesting to see how powerful the stills are compared to the video. It is actually startling.

The video is obviously about the photographer and the fact he uses this or that gear ... However, IMO the stills he is there to get are not about him, but instead are about his vision of the subjects ... and his vision of how to capture them ... like any good photography.

I like the enormous dignity conveyed as opposed to the usual cliche' stuff you see in exotic locations ... obviously, lighting is part of that depiction, and this fellow goes to great lengths to make that happen in some pretty hard to get locations.

Inspirational.

Thanks for sharing,

-Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is another person who did shoot with medium format similar to this guy, but more interesting and more appealing, if you want to see that person shots just let me know.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    There is another person who did shoot with medium format similar to this guy, but more interesting and more appealing, if you want to see that person shots just let me know.
    Please do share!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    There is beauty in everything, and in everyone from all different cultures and places.

This young man is out there finding it and capturing it with a singular vision ... and I found it interesting to see how powerful the stills are compared to the video. It is actually startling.

The video is obviously about the photographer and the fact he uses this or that gear ... However, IMO the stills he is there to get are not about him, but instead are about his vision of the subjects ... and his vision of how to capture them ... like any good photography.

I like the enormous dignity conveyed as opposed to the usual cliche' stuff you see in exotic locations ... obviously, lighting is part of that depiction, and this fellow goes to great lengths to make that happen in some pretty hard to get locations.

Inspirational.

Thanks for sharing,

-Marc
    My bold in red in above - EXACTLY

In contrast per a google search for images by Chris Rainer and Phil Borges, I find their images of depressing looking people and lacking to capture my attention. Yet, perhaps the depressed and sad look is how the west imagine many of these people. Having travelled much I disagree, these simple people have loads to teach us and have also dignity. The still images of Joey L are extremely powerful in communicating that, and not only the picture, but his story makes them also alive.

His Faces of a Vanishing World is a worthwhile 25 usd download; Faces Of a Vanishing World | Joey L. Store
    It shows the installation in NY and how the pictures are taken down and brought back to the rightful owners in Ethiopia. That is the link much often forgotten, to bring back to the ones we portrait.

In my own view his work is top notch and among the best out there, his young age simply makes it more impressive. Above all, very highly inspirational.

Best regards,
    Anders
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Please do share!
    OK

His name is "Suchet Suwanmongkol"

Here is one link of his work with H4D-60

Papua New Guinea Photo Gallery by Suchet Suwanmongkol at pbase.com

I liked his photos from Venice Carnival, I am very impressed about his works, they are something else, in fact he made me to think hard now to do similar to his work, but i know he has his own technique of post processing, the camera and lighting are not that difficult part anyway.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

In my view Joey L is a complete different and higher level. He has really taken his high level professional commercial/fashion studio techniques and brought it all out to the bush.

The other current photographer I am equally impressed of is in another genre (landscapes) and is Peter Lik.

Post Thanks / Like

OK

His name is "Suchet Suwanmongkol"

Here is one link of his work with H4D-60

Papua New Guinea Photo Gallery by Suchet Suwanmongkol at pbase.com

I liked his photos from Venice Carnival, I am very impressed about his works, they are something else, in fact he made me to think hard now to do similar to his work, but i know he has his own technique of post processing, the camera and lighting are not that difficult part anyway.
    Suchet's work is something else. Just spent an hour browsing through his Pbase.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there are many talented photographers, I don't believe in stating which one is better, especially as an artist. I am equally inspired by all the photogs here. Since this thread is about Joey L. I love his work and he inspired me quite a few years ago, especially knowing how young he is. As long as this is his art and he keep growing with it, I will only appreciate it more. I love hearing about other names too, many of which I don't know of their work, please share if you find them inspiring!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope one day i can be a name to inspire others, i will always do my best, but i am ar away from art because of my bad situation in life, once i get better life then i can talk or speak with my work with any format i use even iPhone and Pinhole that i have, but for now, i just watch others work, and what making me jealous is that someone like Joey L. is so young and he get far with his photography, while i am getting old i still didn't reach even 1/10 of what he did, he has a medium format at his young age, what he will have when he become older then?
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Tareq,

It's like said about comparing artists, its not fair to even compare yourself, just enjoy your art and share it and be proud of it. Joey L. is obviously the rock star of the photography world, but the are many others too, but there are many equally talented enthusiasts who are not known to the world and don't wish for the fame! I say this coming from an illustration and fine art background!

I only hope the bad situation that you speak about will improve, and remember creativity exists in the mind, and photography just happens to be one of the many outlets in life.

All the best! God bless.
    Po

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tareq,

It's like said about comparing artists, its not fair to even compare yourself, just enjoy your art and share it and be proud of it. Joey L. is obviously the rock star of the photography world, but the are many others too, but there are many equally talented enthusiasts who are not known to the world and don't wish for the fame! I say this coming from an illustration and fine art background!

I only hope the bad situation that you speak about will improve, and remember creativity exists in the mind, and photography just happens to be one of the many outlets in life.

All the best! God bless.
    Po
    Thank you!

Sure i will do my best and i will never give up photography, also i will have my own style, to become a professional is a matter of time and situation in my country or life, who knows.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know what kind of filter Joey use? I use strobe all the time but not with filter.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a ND filter..never mind. If he uses LS lens I dont think he needs one..correct me if I'm wrong please.

Post Thanks / Like

Why Dan?

Post Thanks / Like

It is to darken the background with non LS lens. I dont know for what other purposes.

With LS he can shoot up to 1/1600 is his profoto can handle it.

Post Thanks / Like

Btw i cant believe he brought a C stand into a freaking forest with 8 hours hiking..an octa in a C stand in middle of jungle...3 thumps up!!

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of form, he's just another strobist shooting to the standard issue formulas. The technique might be impressive to people with a limited vocabulary, but it's old-hack to those that have been around for awhile and are aware of a larger space of possibles.

In terms of content, he is able to get access to valorized subject matter (like celebrities, exotic 3rd world peoples etc) and this is probably what distinguishes his work. However, access to subject matter is based on social factors (like money, resources and networking etc) and shouldn't be confused with form.

He's got charisma and is well liked, so he should have a good career ahead of him...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What might those larger space possibilities be Mike?

I'm not sure "hackneyed" is a term I'd use for good solid technique applied to a not so often seen subject presented in a dignified manner. Maybe enough technique is ... well, enough, rather than too much.

While I'd agree that "access" is a key factor, I wouldn't say it is the only thing that distinguishes his work ... otherwise, all one would need is money, resources, and networking to make powerful images. There are an abundance of monied enthusiasts with grand social and political connections traveling the globe with the best money can buy ... speaking of hackneyed.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Santoso View Post
    Does anyone know what kind of filter Joey use? I use strobe all the time but not with filter.

Thanks
    According to David Hobby, he uses Lee 4" polyester ND filters. It's mentioned in this post: Strobist: Using ND Filters to Kill Depth of Field

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by homeiss View Post
    According to David Hobby, he uses Lee 4" polyester ND filters. It's mentioned in this post: Strobist: Using ND Filters to Kill Depth of Field
    I believe the Ethiopia shoot was sponsored by phase one and profoto,the Phase/Schneiders allow flash sync at 1/1600th so maybe the ND filters were not needed to kill DOF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    I believe the Ethiopia shoot was sponsored by phase one and profoto,the Phase/Schneiders allow flash sync at 1/1600th so maybe the ND filters were not needed to kill DOF
    Yes, and even if he was using a ND filter, any ND filter can do the job, i have one from Hoya and another one from SinghRay, i don't use it much for these kind of shots where i can use higher shutter speed, my Hassy can go up to only 1/800 which almost half of that of Phase One, still it is too much to kill DoF.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

....brought a tear to my eye

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    ....brought a tear to my eye
    Happy or sad??!!
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    I don't think he used the leaf shutter lenses on that shoot. If you watch the first video posted in this thread and pause around 4:10, the lens doesn't have the leaf shutter symbol. Looks like the 80mm D lens to me; which would max out at 1/125 flash sync. Also, in the same video at 3:50 you can see him putting a ND filter into his filter holder.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and even if he was using a ND filter, any ND filter can do the job, i have one from Hoya and another one from SinghRay, i don't use it much for these kind of shots where i can use higher shutter speed, my Hassy can go up to only 1/800 which almost half of that of Phase One, still it is too much to kill DoF.
    If your power pack can not reach very low output (lower than 7~8Ws), it is very normal to use a 1~3-stop ND filter to dark the scene the reach shallow DoF (it a common knowledge to do that in the PAST FILM AGE). Please do not forget, most digital backs can reach ISO 35 or even ISO 25, it is another 1-1/3 or 2 stops slower than normal 135 digital camera. It is very normal to get the Joey L shooting results with medium format digital back in strobing photo.

I would say I cannot believe a simple filter in front of a lens could make so many people think he is telant. The photography is degenerating.

There is nothing needed to be surpised about Joey's way to shoot and his shooting results, a normal result..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by xinchenc View Post
    If your power pack can not reach very low output (lower than 7~8Ws), it is very normal to use a 1~3-stop ND filter to dark the scene the reach shallow DoF (it a common knowledge to do that in the PAST FILM AGE). Please do not forget, most digital backs can reach ISO 35 or even ISO 25, it is another 1-1/3 or 2 stops slower than normal 135 digital camera. It is very normal to get the Joey L shooting results with medium format digital back in strobing photo.

I would say I cannot believe a simple filter in front of a lens could make so many people think he is telant. The photography is degenerating.

There is nothing needed to be surpised about Joey's way to shoot and his shooting results, a normal result..
    Well, i did shoot one person before outdoor near Burj Khalifa with one strobe only using my Hasselblad, i didn't use filters, and i got amazing results, it is not difficult to shoot with wider aperture on MF lenses if i can go up to 1/500-1/1600, the light power can go down enough or at least taking it a bit further away from the model, ND filter can be used if those 2 methods didn't cut it yet, but honestly speaking, i don't think his way of shooting there is any big deal, anyone of you with a strobe and good photography gear can do the same, just the style/vision may change not the photography shooting techniques mostly.
    Tareq

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed, it is a "normal result". A result one would come to expect if familiar with the use of strobes ... and more a part of the craft of photography.

I seriously doubt anyone here is equating the use of a ND filter with "Talent" ... this is a also a learning forum, so people are interested in how something was done, and the levels of knowledge may vary reader to reader.

There are a lot of people who are new to, or have never used, strobe lighting but may be interested in doing so. Gotta start somewhere ... and I don't think it is productive to make them feel stupid when they ask questions just because you know the answer, or you think it is just normal results. It isn't normal if you know zip about lighting.

Lighting aside, I'm sincerely interested in why some think this photography to be "degenerating" ... which means having lost physical, mental or moral qualities considered normal or desirable. What is normal in this case? What expectations lead one to think this to be degenerating?

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Just because someone takes a Phaseone with Profoto B2 to take some pictures in the Suburbs of the earth, then he or she is a telanted photographer?

Someone could always do something you do not know, but it may not be that he or she is telant. In these days, there are too much praise of a photographer just because he or she can take pictures with a battery power pack?

Noboby needs to feel stupid here and you need not praise a photographer without self-respect. Again photography is degenerating everywhere in this world.

Agreed, it is a "normal result". A result one would come to expect if familiar with the use of strobes ... and more a part of the craft of photography.

I seriously doubt anyone here is equating the use of a ND filter with "Talent" ... this is a also a learning forum, so people are interested in how something was done, and the levels of knowledge may vary reader to reader.

There are a lot of people who are new to, or have never used, strobe lighting but may be interested in doing so. Gotta start somewhere ... and I don't think it is productive to make them feel stupid when they ask questions just because you know the answer, or you think it is just normal results. It isn't normal if you know zip about lighting.

Lighting aside, I'm sincerely interested in why some think this photography to be "degenerating" ... which means having lost physical, mental or moral qualities considered normal or desirable. What is normal in this case? What expectations lead one to think this to be degenerating?

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised that attention gets hung up on his lighting techniques or wherenots... the end result and key is in his images that are very powerful and speak.

Argument of filter or lighting per norm seems a tad like wining when someone is really good at producing pictures...

Post Thanks / Like

Just because someone takes a Phaseone with Profoto B2 to take some pictures in the Suburbs of the earth, then he or she is a telanted photographer?
    Oh dear. Just because we shoot MFDB we should not be permitted to bring it out to portrait the poor?

Just look at the quality of his pictures...

You may also check out his commercial works...

Post Thanks / Like

Again photography is degenerating everywhere in this world.
    Agreed

The level of photography conversation is also degenerating. Insecure amateurs and precariously positioned professionals attack all opinion that isn't relativist. Any talk of hierarchies, social or otherwise, makes them really uncomfortable.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Someone could always do something you do not know, but it may not be that he or she is telant. In these days, there are too much praise of a photographer just because he or she can take pictures with a battery power pack?

Noboby needs to feel stupid here and you need not praise a photographer without self-respect. Again photography is degenerating everywhere in this world.
    It seems you are fixated on what gear was used as some measure of talent in the minds of other people, as opposed to what resulted from it. The only reason people are asking questions about the gear is because they find the work interesting, wonder how it was done, and obviously don't know the answer so are curious.

Otherwise, who cares what was used? Gear doesn't equal talent or the lack of it, and no one has said that or even implied it ... except you by implication.

Gear CAN effect the quality of the image, but not necessarily the content. While it is true that anyone could do something you do not know, but do it poorly, do you really think these photos to be done poorly?

I was struck by the sincerity of the photographer as exhibited by the contact with the subjects, and that he provided images to the subjects afterwards. Perhaps it is all just an elaborate grift, and 100% exploitive to further the photographers notoriety?

In reality, I have no idea as to what the artist's intent was ... I do not know him or discussed his intent. It could be that it is all exploitive photography for all I know. All I can do is react viscerally to the results which ain't all bad ... but most certainly not earth shattering to anyone that knows lighting ... I just wouldn't go so far as to question the man's talent out of jealousy for his work and resulting notoriety.

However, without understanding the intent, I could say the same of what could be seen as aggressively derivative Elephant photos that exploitively play to the public's sympathies on a very surface level with almost no new insight ... just Elephants as yet another object, nicely photographed.

As with any Art, photo or not, the Artists intent is key to a more in-depth grasp of what they are trying to achieve. Things that may appear mundane may have a deeper intent than is apparent on the surface. A perfect example of this could be the highly recognized and valued conceptual photography of Uta Barth ... who has never left her home to make her images ... a recent recipient of a highly regarded Fellowship:

Uta Barth

I also do not agree that photography is "degenerating everywhere in this world". It is proliferating amongst the masses of the relatively visually uneducated, but that doesn't mean no one is doing anything of consequence to advance the art of photography.

Interesting discussion, if nothing else.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The guy has a vision regarding his chosen subject matter. He considers how to achieve the look he wants and executes the technique perfectly. Who cares what filter blah blah blah or leaf shutter blah blah blah. The final result is what draws the attention.

Before my fortunate move to Mfdb I used an 8 stop nd with acute 2400 to get a similar look in some of my work. Is that really a reason for me to hate on joey l???. Nope.

I think regardless of gear his photos have an impact. This is what people give him credit for.

It's all about the finished result and I find his photos quite beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

I see Joey more like an artist with a very mature vision for his age, which is very rare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Always when a photographer who be in public popular in something then discussion about talent and gear and art is coming to surface always.

I remember about Dragan, Anne Leib, Jill Greenberg, Dave Hill, Joel,.....etc, i mean when i look at it, i see it is almost 2 things that play in all of their works:

1. Concept of what to shoot and how to make them look the way the shooter want.

2. Workflow, they all use same gear content[High end DSLR or MF/LF and some lights whether Profoto or similar high end lighting], but then they do manipulate and workflow their works that most members mainly beginners amazed about how they did that even if they use same equipment and they even never ask about talent and just ask, which camera, which lens, what light, filters....etc.
    Tareq

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Agreed

The level of photography conversation is also degenerating. Insecure amateurs and precariously positioned professionals attack all opinion that isn't relativist. Any talk of hierarchies, social or otherwise, makes them really uncomfortable.
    Relativism? Sounds more like jealousy pure and simple. So, with that motivation, it's easy to subscribe any other opinion as stemming from insecurity ... like everyone else is some quivering mass of ignorance.

I like the guy's work ... if you don't, that's fine by me. Not uncomfortable that at all.
    Glad you know me so well that you can declare some sweeping statement of how I feel or think to forward your own agenda.

It was you who attacked other's opinions by discounting their interest in how it was done and tagging it as nothing special ... and then slyly equating that to talent, or lack of.

Who cares about hierarchies, social or otherwise? Only you evidently. Personally I don't care how it happened, and if the politics of hierarchies, social contacts or even sponsorship played a role, who gives a shyt? You do what you have to ... and it often does take some talents in those areas of interaction to make something happen.

This photographer probably knows how to play the game to get to the desired end result ... because he is also a successful commercial photographer where hierarchy, social skills and a positive attitude go a long way.

-Marc

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Joey is a fantastic photographer, and for a price, one can buy his tutorials on lighting.
    For me, that slightly diminishes the artistic aspect of the individual, but not my relationship to the photograph. Exploitive? Perhaps. Market branding? Most certainly, but it's one's relationship to the image that is personal to our intuitive state of mind that inspires creative inventiveness, and innovation...Joey does both for me, but I won't buy his lighting tutorials either.

Nick Brandts elephants are anything but derivative, and I find inspiration from those as he shoots exclusively 6x7 film, in his quest to document the vanishing East African beauty. Both unique and personal.

These overstated personal monologues are not conducive to the original discussion.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 15th October 2012 at 13:41.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Joey is a fantastic photographer, and for a price, one can buy his tutorials on lighting.
    For me, that slightly diminishes the artistic aspect of the individual, but not my relationship to the photograph. Exploitive? Perhaps. Market branding? Most certainly, but it's one relationship to the image that is personal to our intuitive state of mind that inspires creative inventiveness, and innovation...Joey does both for me, but I won't buy his lighting tutorials either.

Nick Brandts elephants are anything but derivative, and I find inspiration from those as he shoots exclusively 6x7 film, in his quest to document the vanishing East African beauty. Both unique and personal.

These overstated personal monologues are not conducive to the original discussion.
    Does that include yours?

Post Thanks / Like

I have all the books of Nick Brandt, quite amazing.

But yes, when You see a wonderful work, You want to do that, and You wonder if You need this kind of gear, not other, exactly the same.. I understand, but probably with a hasselblad You'll do the same or better Job.

Post Thanks / Like

Nick Brandt, let me write that name down, okay what GEAR does he use, lighting?
    He'd better use a ND filter!

What a worked up bunch

Post Thanks / Like

*facepalm*.. Yes, we all know Joe L. He is one of the fast shooting, care not about stuff, fix it in PP people of younger generation, that now is learning better (and no i am not making it up, i do happen to have his DVD on processing, which i borrowed from a friend).

Life is tough. We all learning, we all adjusting. Talented or not.. Who we are to judge?

Post Thanks / Like

Nick Brandt, let me write that name down, okay what GEAR does he use, lighting?
    He'd better use a ND filter!

What a worked up bunch

The most important piece of equipment of Nick Brandt is probaly patience and a love for the anymals. You can direct human models, but try that with wild elephants or lions.

BTW, I have print of him hanging in our dining room (from a linoness, not an elephant) and it is extremely powerful.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Georg
    My new website (under construction) at Zenfolio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    You can direct human models, but try that with wild elephants or lions.
    I had better luck posing tigers than with some of wannabe models
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And those wild animals must have their own trainers, so i don't think that the photographer was the trainer himself, but i can be wrong, i saw Jill Greenberg video clip of one of her animals photoshoot, she never did train the animals for her poses, she just ask the trainer to do it, i think Nick did what most wildlife photographers do, watching the animals behave in nature and study it i think so he can choose the location and timing for his shooting, and maybe he did some manipulating too, Nothing that photoshop can't do with composing, and masks/layers is the most powerful tool for manipulation in PS.
    Tareq

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Does that include yours?

Nick Brandt uses a handheld Pentax lens, that can be tilted and shifted for perspective control...I think. Both Joey L. and Nick Brandt use innovative techniques that are unique to each as artists, and i'm grateful for their contribution to photography.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 15th October 2012 at 13:51.