The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backpacking the Rm3d?

Hey People,

I've signed up for the PODAS Monument Valley trip and will be taking my Rm3d system out into the wilds. Obviously, my Pelican case is going to be a bit much to lug around. Anyone come up with a great backpack solution for the Arca, yet?

Camera, Digi Back, 4 lenses, MacBook and odds and ends.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Cheers,
CB

dchew

F-Stop Tilopa BC. Most comfortable, includes a laptop sleeve, one of the deeper designs.

I have an Alpa STC not an Arca, so mine crams into a Medium ICU with 4 lenses. You would probably need the XL ICU, but you might get away with the Large.

Dave

vjbelle

I recently purchased a Kiboko 22L+ and my Alpa STC and 4 lenses fit perfectly.... there's even a pocket for my MBPR. Out Door Photo Gear has them on sale for $244.00 (regular $399.00). They were manufactured minus a stitch - were repaired by Guru and now being sold as refurbished with full warranty. I have this bag and the 30L - both are fantastic bags.

Victor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I can get the body with back and one lens mounted plus 2 additional lenses and all other necessary accessories comfortably in my Domke J1 shoulder bag. I can get a 3rd lens in there, but it's then a bit tight. In sandy environs, I prefer to work out of a shoulder style bag, or a rear-opening backpack bag like the F-Stop series.

RodK

The Crumpler 'C'List Celebrity medium i use is great. It is nearly 9" deep near the bottom so i can leave the back on the body with a small lens for quick access and use.
I can also carry 3-4 lenses depending on size and some other accessories.
The bag is a gem.
Rod

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Here's another :thumbup: for the F-Stop Tilopa BC with the large ICU. I use mine as my exclusive Alpa bag and it can carry an STC with four lenses, batteries, tilt adapter, 2x digital back (or STC and TC pair with a back/lens on both). In fact, part of my selection criteria for the bag was that I needed to be able to hold a body, back and long lens such as my SK 150 all attached as a unit and so no disassembly required.

This bag is ideal for sandy locations as you can easily lay it down to access the contents via either the rear opening or the top of the bag. The back has a single large pocket that can hold ancillary gear like reflectors/flare buster, waterproof gear etc. I personally remove the extra ICU padding on the rear which makes it super easy to access the contents when unzipping the rear flap of the bag.

So long as you are diligent you can keep this pack sand free. I just got back from White Sands NM and Big Bend NP and the bag yet again proved it's worth when hiking across the desert and for any distance. It'll also fit in even a commuter jet/prop plane overhead when full - I find that's a rarity.

GrahamWelland

Btw, here's my Tilopa with Alpa kit loaded. I have a 150mm SK lens mounted on the STC with a P+ back on it in the main compartment. There is a huge amount of extra space for the myriad of technical camera and digital back gear at the top of the bag.

GrahamWelland

Yes, it's the large ICU in the Tilopa. There's probably 6+ inches above the ICU in the bag at the top plus the top pocket available too.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
In this and also in previous threads , I have learned of many different backpack solutions .
I use a TAMRAC EXPEDITION 7 .

But no one really mentioned the weight , the total weight of the backpack , camera , 4 lenses and the odds and ends . And no one ever mentioned how his tripod is transported .

If I have all my odds and ends and camera with just 3 lenses and think of , that I should carry that on a two hours hiking tour , i would possibly give up after the first 2 kms . Oh I forgot my tripod , GITZO carbon which weighs more than 2 kgs . Does PODAS also offer the service of sherpas ? ? ?:salute:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, Jack. Best to keep stuff out of the sand. No tethering then, I reckon.
With the IQ, I basically never bother to tether in the field. I rely 90% on FM and 100% review to confirm focus; then for the really difficult set-ups I'll use LV.

If you want to tether, then I'd look at one of the excellent F-Stop options. I also like and use the TT Airport UL. It's a smaller, thinner and very lightweight backpack that fits inside a medium roller carry-on for extra protection while transporting. Both allow for carrying a laptop, the F-Stop is more robust and has a significantly superior suspension, but it also weighs more.

Finally, there isn't going to be a lot of heavy trekking on the MV PODAS. We'll be driving to within a few hundred yards for most of the shooting locations, with maybe one or two 1/2 to 1-mile treks thrown in. When we get to Upper and Lower Antelope, you do more walking, but it's really stroll 10 yards over here for a shot, stroll another 20 for another shot, etc. In Lower, you gear is lowered in on ropes as you climb down a ladder, so keep that in mind as well.

BlinkingEye

As an avid hiker, skier, alpine climber and backpacker for the last 35 years, I have had the opportunity to study the design and wear many backpacks in a large variety of conditions. A four of quick points.

1. Do NOT overbuy on the size of a backpack. A too large backpack will not be worn properly, thus being uncomfortable. Buy the correct size.

2. The larger a backpack you purchase, the more stuff you will want to carry. Figure your kit and buy the appropriate size. No reason to carry more than you need.

3. I have looked hard at the F-stop backpacks. Looks like a good option. I have not worn one because they are tough to find in the USA.

4. A backpack that just came on the market and is, I am sure, in direct response to the F-stop line is a new backpack sold by Lowe Pro: Lowepro | Rover Pro AW series[RP35LAW]/1/ I would suggest the 35L size for a day bag and the 45 L for an overnight or three day bag. The Lowe Pro is probably easier to find.

Everyone make it a great day and keep shooting.