The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H2 Waist Level Finder

N

nicemate

Hello!

Has anyone had the chance to use the H2 WLF?
Would there be any problems using it with a phase one back? except, of course the vertical shooting!
Is the screen the same size of the Contax 645?
I am looking forward in investing in a MFD system and am
undecided between the Hasselblad and Contax one, which are the
only two systems that allow you to compose through a wlf....
thanks for your opinions and suggestions!
best,
pietro

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Bodies that have waist level viewfinders which are compatible with digital backs:

Common
Hasselblad 500 series
Hasselblad H series
Contax 645
Mamiya RZ Pro series
Rollei Hy6

Uncommon
Rollei 6008
Fuji 680

The 500 series, RZ, Hy6, and 680 support vertically oriented shooting (either via rotating adapter, rotating sensor, or vertically mountable back).

Phase One backs are compatible with all but the Hy6. In the case of the 6008 there was only one Phase One digital back made that was compatible (a 16mp square sensor OEM'd by P1 and sold by Rollei as the DB20). Leaf is compatible with all but the 6008. Notably the AFI series from Leaf provides for an internally rotating sensor and a tilt-up LCD which is really excellent for shooting verticals through the waist level finder.

My suggestion would be a Phase One / Mamiya mount back. This would allow you to mount the back to the autofocus/modern/fully-featured Phase One DF and also the WLF compatible RZ Pro II.

There are other backs compatible with each of these options, but they fall outside of my area of expertise (my company sells Phase One and Leaf, but not the rest).

Udo

Hello!

Has anyone had the chance to use the H2 WLF?
Would there be any problems using it with a phase one back? except, of course the vertical shooting!
Is the screen the same size of the Contax 645?
I am looking forward in investing in a MFD system and am
undecided between the Hasselblad and Contax one, which are the
only two systems that allow you to compose through a wlf....
thanks for your opinions and suggestions!
best,
pietro
Pietro,

I am using such a WLF. There are no problems with a PhaseOne back. Depending on the back's sensor dimensions I'd recommend to use either a mask under the screen or a screen with the proper engraving showing the exact sensor dimensions. I cannot comment on the Contax system. When using the WLF on the H camera there is no light metering. So either you use the histogram on the camera grip or on the back's display for proper exposure and/or a handheld light meter.

Regards,
Udo

Zerimar

I own the HVM WLF for my H system and love it. I have a H2 and P45+.

The only comments I have:

One, as mentioned above is no metering when using it.

The second, is that you lose your hotshot and need to use a PC sync cord if you intend on using strobes.

I love using it for landscape work because I can really see if I have the focus correct, and it is much larger of a viewer (with the built in 3x loupe) than the normal prism finder.

I would honestly use it more often if I could shoot the back in portrait orientation with it. The RZ system has the benefit of waist level finder, as well as a hotshoe still. If you go that rout then you will need another system for if you don't want the waist level finder.. which ultimately costs a lot more money..