The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question on image circles and angle of view

markymarkrb

I am considering moving over to a tech camera but am trying to understand image circles.
If you buy a HR32 that has an angle of view of 107 degrees and an image circle of 90mm at F/11, you then have an IQ180 back that is only 53.7 mm wide, isn't your picture only going to be 63 degrees wide? That being said, do you then get added depth of field by having a wide angle lens that you can now shift with the larger image circle?

Thanks for the help,
Mark

gerald.d

The field of view quoted will be for a full frame MF sensor, so you'll get 107 degree field of view (diagonally) on the IQ180.

dick

I am considering moving over to a tech camera but am trying to understand image circles.
If you buy a HR32 that has an angle of view of 107 degrees and an image circle of 90mm at F/11, you then have an IQ180 back that is only 53.7 mm wide, isn't your picture only going to be 63 degrees wide? That being said, do you then get added depth of field by having a wide angle lens that you can now shift with the larger image circle?

Thanks for the help,
Mark
With a DSLR, the angular field of view is quoted as long side, short side or diagonal.

With tech/view camera lenses the Angle of view is the relates to the lens image circle, and is not format related, and is the maximum diagonal angle of view you could get with stitching (assuming you camera allows enough shift).

The Schneider info sheet quotes different angles of view for different apertures, so this is obviously not format related, and they quote maximum displacements (shifts) for different formats.

The spare image circle is for perspective correction shifts and shift-and-stitch.

A 40.2 * 53.7mm sensor has a diagonal of 67.08mm, giving you nearly 23mm for shift... I think a 90mm image circle gives you a 63MM square stitched image.