The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5300 dpi Plustek 120 Scanner in November

bensonga

I hope so too....I've got this one on my Christmas wish list, for sure.

If not Christmas, then New Year's gift to self.

Gary

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . .
If not Christmas, then New Year's gift to self.
Gary
Gary

These self gifts are the best ones anyway :)

That scanner looks very interesting . But . . . I do hate scanning .
Thats why my ARTIK SCAN F1 sits here jobless .

DeckardTrinity

I am quite anticipating this scanner myself, but will wait and see if it really outshines the Epson V700 I use today (with betterscanning glass holder).

Uaiomex

If I could afford a DMFB I wouldn't bother with a scanner.
Wish you had a great year Jürgen.

Eduardo

Gary

bensonga

Gary

Hi Jurgen! I hate scanning too, but unfortunately, I still enjoy shooting with film, so there's no way to avoid it. I start by having my local lab do a scan of the entire roll, but the resolution is only high enough for a good quality Letter size print. Quite often, that is enough, but if I want to print larger then I scan the selected frame myself (with an Epson V750 Pro). At least this way I don't have to scan quite as often.

I will probably wait until the reviews come out and see if I can expect a noticeable improvement vs my Epson flat bed scanner.

If I could afford or justify a Hasselblad scanner, that's the route I would go.....but this Plustek will have to be my next best thing.

All the best to you!

Gary

Last edited:

mathomas

I'm awaiting reviews, too. While $2k is pretty reasonable for a film scanner with these specs, it would be very disappointing if it didn't really blow away the cheaper options in actual use. I don't want to be the one to make that discovery. :)

Godfrey

I'm waiting for it to appear as well. I understand they had some issues with the sensor so it's been delayed about a month. No worries, Plustek: get it right and it will be worth the money. :)

richardman

I have a LS-9000 but having an alternative is always a good idea. Now if they can make it scan 6x17 :) (yes, I have an Epson V700 for that purpose, but a true negative scanner for 617 without stitching that doesn't cost as much as an Imacon would be awesome...)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hi Jurgen! I hate scanning too, but unfortunately, I still enjoy shooting with film, so there's no way to avoid it. I start by having my local lab do a scan of the entire roll, but the resolution is only high enough for a good quality Letter size print. Quite often, that is enough, but if I want to print larger then I scan the selected frame myself (with an Epson V750 Pro). At least this way I don't have to scan quite as often.

I will probably wait until the reviews come out and see if I can expect a noticeable improvement vs my Epson flat bed scanner.

If I could afford or justify a Hasselblad scanner, that's the route I would go.....but this Plustek will have to be my next best thing.

All the best to you!

Gary
Hi Gary

I think , even the best scanner will not be able to make me like scanning .
Puuuh .

What I found recently is , that there are only a couple of KODAK QLABS left since digital has become the main image source .
Additional to that , the last three films I got back from a KODAK QLAB had lots of black spots all over the negatives . Its not dust , it seems to be a kind of chemical stuff .
I was told , never get films developed on a Monday .
What is your experience ? ? ?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
If I could afford a DMFB I wouldn't bother with a scanner.
Wish you had a great year Jürgen.

Eduardo
Hello Eduardo

The year 2012 was not bad for me regarding photography , but I could have done more .
I kept myself busy doing a lot of mechanical work for adapters etc.
I like to do that , but will not do as much in 2013 .

My workflow is about 95% digital , the rest is film .
Unfortunately professional scans to the desired resolution are very expensive here . That leaves still a bit of scanner work .

I have read about your desire for a digital back in an other thread .
Let me repeat here . If you don't get a back now , when will you then get one ? ? ?
You are never too old to do yourself a favour .
Regards . Jürgen .

Uaiomex

"You are never too old to do yourself a favour"
SO TRUE!

I decided to not do it this time. Since I'm also a small real estate investor, real money comes only after the sale of property. That happens once a year in average. For the time being, the money is going for building up a particular project in Tulum. I'm after a second home in that paradise. Perhaps in 2 years time I'll be again on that quest. I don't do much photography professionally these days. Practically, all my pro work gets done perfectly with a FF dslr. I was after a used P45+ but decided no to.

To help you understand costs in Mexico, let me tell you that a brand new P1 Q180 costs the equivalent of a starting 2 bedroom masonry house and some space to grow it. Of course, someone in my position lives bigger houses with more conveniences. But still, a DMFB is a very important purchase. I always have said that the 2 most important things ($) a man (in Mexico) buys in his life is a house and a car. Since digital, medium format gear could well be in that group too. :cry:

Happy holidays!
Eduardo

Last edited: