The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the contax worth it? or other Medium format with film back compatibility?

Steve Hendrix

The only camera I personally would not select is any form of the Mamiya 645 ... AFD-II, AFD-III ... which is not modular like the Contax or H camera, has no waist level finder option and ... again personally ... is a camera I hated and would select the Contax 645 over it any day.

-Marc

Marc, what do you mean by your use of the term "modular"?

Steve Hendrix

chrismuc

Even not produced any longer, the Contax 645 system ist still top notch in most areas and just wonderful to use.

- Most lenses (35, 45, 55, 80, 120M, 140, 210, 1,4x Mutar) and the body are very reasonable priced on 2nd hand market: 600 to 1500 $ per part
- Most lenses (35, 55, 80, 120M, 140, 350) are sharp (if stopped down a bit) even with the latest 60 and 80 MP backs (I use the P65+)
- Especially the 80f2 and 140f2.8 lenses have wonderful bokeh, both have excellent center area sharpness from f2.8 onwards
- The 35 is sharp corner to corner at f8 or f11 similar to a Schneider or Rodenstock 35, but without any color cast compensation! Distortion can be corrected very well with the Alpa lens corrector plug-in for PS.
- The handling of the camara is IMO unmatched by any other MF cam (i like esp. the +/- exposure compensation wheel), all functions directly accessable by buttons, not by LCD menu
- As one of few 645 cams it offers a very suitable waist level finder (Phase One/Mamiya, Leica S2, Pentax 645D don't offer. Fuji 645/Hasselblad H, Sinar M do offer)
- AF is (mostly) precise but slow. But better than no AF ;-)
- As stated before: as spare part, just buy a 2nd. lens or cam coz prices are so reasonable compared to other MF equipment
- Usage of Hasselblad V Zeiss glass via adapter is a great option: I use the CF 50f4 FLE, CF100f3.5 and CF 180f4 lenses which give nothing but stunning 60 MP files

… and the Contax 645 is the only cam you can do such self portraits:)

Christoph

Last edited:

lowep

I had the same questions and geographical constraints but not an unlimited budget. In the end I got a Contax 645 that I have used for a few years without any problems and unlike Fotografz I am still using mine. Maybe the reason I did not switch yet is the same as his: "3) the Contax was clearly a dead-end system with no further improvements possible" since I am also a dead-end system with no further improvements possible :)

If you do not have easy access to the photography marketplace it is important to think hard to avoid making a wrong decision since buying is easier than selling. It also reduces the value of dealer support if the dealer is on the other side of the world in which case it may be more useful to have a camera that is strongly built without too many gizmos that can go awol than the latest and greatest product another reason to consider the Contax 645 system even though it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Shashin

Buy a Pentax 645D and a Pentax 645 film body. The 645D is the most advanced MFD body out there. And with two bodies, you can shoot film and digital at the same time.

drevil

Staff member
i also love my contax 645 system and the lenses give me so many jaw dropping moments. may it be wide open bokeh or stopped down sharp images.

what i also love is the simple operation, so few buttons to push, compared to modern dslrs, which are simply overkill.

shashin, he can also use film and digital on ONE body on the Contax 645.

Shashin

Shashin, he can also use film and digital on ONE body on the Contax 645.
I never said he couldn't. The Contax is a film camera after all. With two Pentax bodies he can also shoot them at the same time without having to change a back. Since the 645D is a digital body, he gets the advantage of that, rather than a converted film body. It is simply a suggestion. The OP was looking for alternatives.

johnnygoesdigital

The Hasselblad H1/H2, are designed for digital and film with seamless integration, in just one camera. H1/H2's are very reliable, and probably the most used camera in fashion. Also consider the H4x, the newest from Hasselblad that also shoots film.

mob81

First of All, I'd Like to thank everyone for their informative opinion and sharing their experience.

Buying a Hasselblad H1/H2 then upgrade to H4X seems strange to me! Though I'd Love to get the H4X Directly...But still can't decide for now as I will try to get my hand on some of the camera system to compare other aspect of the system.

I read few good reads about the Rollei Hy6 and 6008AF and was amazed...6x6 and Auto Focus (The 6008AF and the AF lenses "Not AFD" Seems aforadable) with film back though which I'm After now. I'll try to get my hand on one and see how it handles. But it seems as my best option as many indicated before.

lowep

I tried the 6008AF before opting for the Contax 645 that handled more like a DSLR and lenses were more affordable. Found learning curve getting used to the ergonomics and handling of the Rollei very steep and cost of lenses very high. That said many report a very positive experience with the Hy6 that may be easier to handle than the 6008, I don't know about that?