The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase Schneider 120 TS - practical experience

jagsiva

I have been flip-flopping on getting a tech cam for some time to go with my IQ180. Main reason is for stitching landscapes, and secondly to avoid the horrid vibration I get with the DF, even with everything locked down, on a Gitzo 5 series and Cube.

I was hoping some kind of new body would be announced, but that does not look likely for the new future. So my tech cam aspirations are on again.

However, before I go off and get yet another setup, I wanted to revisit the 120 TS lens. I tried this some time ago, and with the lens collar mounted on the tripod, I could not get it stabilised enough with the DF. Has anyone else had any experience shooting landscape with this lens?

With the camera mounted to the tripod, the results were better, but then I don't get the benefits of a true flat stitch.

I appreciate that the primary purpose may have been studio product work with lights, and higher shutter speeds and flash may negate the issue that I am having, but would like to hear if anyone has used this lens for landscape work with good results.

Cheers...

adamduckworth

I just bought one! I'll take it out this weekend for a few tests and let you know what I find, if that's any use.

Anyone else have any experiences, thoughts?

cly

Same experience as Jagsiva (DF, Gitzo 5, Cube): I had the lens for a testrun and realized that the combination DF/this lens is unusable without enough light.

Chris

Last edited:

jagsiva

Thanks, guess it was not just me. It was better with the camera on the tripod, but you lose the flat stitching capability, in which case I could just use me 110LS.