The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with RZ67 Pro IID + DM22 back

Aryan Aqajani

Hi guys,

I was trying to shoot a long exposure with my DM22 back with HX-701 on RZ67 Pro IID! Obviously, I chose Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID from the menu on the back! I set the shutter on B and chose T on the lens as I always do when I shoot film! After 15 second, I pushed T to N mode! However, it did not work! No picture! I mean I could trigger the shutter but nothing happened to the back! I then set the shutter on 8 second and it worked!

Have any of you experienced this before!?

Do I need a sync cable? How can I do a long exposure on B mode!?

Professional

Maybe the back is not up to long exposure, the work will be from the back maybe not the body, i may be wrong, but aren't each digital back has its own min-max shutter speed regardless of which body you put it on?

Aryan Aqajani

No! The Max exposure on DM22 (Leaf Aptus-II 5) is 30s so should be no problem with 15s exposure as I have already done 25s exposure with the same back on 645 AFD III body. I just don't know how it works on RZ!

Professional

No! The Max exposure on DM22 (Leaf Aptus-II 5) is 30s so should be no problem with 15s exposure as I have already done 25s exposure with the same back on 645 AFD III body. I just don't know how it works on RZ!
I thought you were talking about long exposure longer than 60sec or 1min, but if you mean that you can't go up to 30s or say the minimum shutter speed or max longer exposure cn be done with DM22 then you have to check the settings on your back for compatibility, did you try both the B and T individually?

Do you have a cable release or that electronic one?

Not sure if that sync cable could be the solution but give it a try to be sure where is the issue.

I wish have a digital back to test my RZ, but it is non D version.

Stay with film for long exposure ;):D

Aryan Aqajani

I am staying with film however, needed to find out how it works with a digital back! As I said, no problem when shooting on 8 seconds! But on B mode and T on the lens, nothing happens when I put T to N unlike shooting film!

Professional

I am staying with film however, needed to find out how it works with a digital back! As I said, no problem when shooting on 8 seconds! But on B mode and T on the lens, nothing happens when I put T to N unlike shooting film!
Maybe you need different lens, one that is digital.

If you find the solution let me know, thanks!!!

johnnygoesdigital

Aryan,

I too shoot film with the RZ, and am also interested in MFDB for this camera. I'm not familiar with the DM, but likely it's a setting in the menu that allows for the max. 30 sec. The lens might need a sync cable for the T and N mode.

Aryan, I couldn't even get an exposure using the T/N switch. Basically when set for time, the back does nothing at all (IQ back), however using bulb and a shutter release cable in the mirror/shutter release (on the body not the lens) I could do a 25s exposure. I understand from the manual that this drains the battery on the body, but at least it worked.

Useful exercise as I didn't think it would be different with a DB.

Hopefully Yair will shed some more light as I think he has good experience with the RZ

Paul

Aryan Aqajani

likely it's a setting in the menu that allows for the max. 30 sec. The lens might need a sync cable for the T and N mode.
As far as I know, there is no setting in the digital back menu about exposure time setting! With Mamiya/Leaf backs, there is no need for a sync or wakeup cable when you use a HX-701 adapter on RZ67 Pro IID!

Aryan, I couldn't even get an exposure using the T/N switch. Basically when set for time, the back does nothing at all (IQ back), however using bulb and a shutter release cable in the mirror/shutter release (on the body not the lens) I could do a 25s exposure. I understand from the manual that this drains the battery on the body, but at least it worked.
Paul, I was thinking about the same thing last night before falling asleep :cussing: I did not try to shoot in B mode yesterday! If that is the case meaning being able to shoot only in B mode with a release cable for 30s max, than it would be frustrating!

Although my back does not go over 30s however, I have found a new technique for long exposures which is called exposure stacking! Don't know if you have heard about this but I'm going to give it go! If it really works, then I don't need to trade my back with a P25+ or P45+ later down the track as I love this back! It is a bit more time-consuming but if the result is good, it may worth going this far! Tutorials | Long Exposures with no Filters | Verdant Vista | Photography by Neil Farquharson

Ooh exposure stacking sounds interesting. I'm going to have a read up on it for a bit now. I was playing with an X Pro 1 on holiday and even 30s is not really enough for those streaky clouds.

Aryan Aqajani

Surely 30s is not enough however, maybe 8 images with 15s exposure each with 5s gap between them would do! I think I'm better off to stay with film! :)

To be honest you get the benefit of reciprocity failure, no battery usage and nothing to do in post, not touching the camera over that period, so much less risk of a wasted effort. In fact with film you take a good book and spend a couple of hours in a beautiful place only to come back with fantastic images, sounds like my kind of hobby. Film seems to win hands down on this one. Digital just seems fiddly, but in a pinch this technique could do it I think. I just had a play around with some 7s exposures running my daughters 'princess wig' past an object, it seems to work.

Aryan Aqajani

Yes, I hear you loud! The good thing with Fuji Acros 100 is that there is no need to consider reciprocity failure! That is why this my to go film stock for long exposure and shooting anything at ISO 100 in B&W! The only thing I'd like to try is developing it in XTOL rather than Rodinal although I like the tone and sharpness coming from Rodinal! I was just trying to see if this technique work or not for those time when I have run out of film on the field!

Anyway, I need to know how to use longer exposure than 30s with RZ in T mode with a back like P25+ or P45+ (although I don't have them) which they can pass 30min exposure! There must be a way but it seems no one wants to help out here!!!

Anyway, I need to know how to use longer exposure than 30s with RZ in T mode with a back like P25+ or P45+ (although I don't have them) which they can pass 30min exposure! There must be a way but it seems no one wants to help out here!!!
I'd drop a mail to Yair of MamiyaLeaf directly (yaya on here) and ask him for advice, he seems to know about the RZ setup, but doesn't seem to be around at the moment.

johnnygoesdigital

Aryan,

Try setting the body to multi-exposure mode-"M" on the right side, and a cable release on the body shutter, but you'll have to "lock" the cable release or hold it for the duration. When the cable release is set to the lens, you still need to push T/N to complete the exposure.

P.S. film is great for LE, no hot pixels or dark frame to subtract.

Aryan Aqajani

Johnny, with RZ67 Pro IID + HX-701, the body should be set to M regardless of shooting at any shutter speeds! I have no problem shooting at M, using cable release and holding it say for 30s and then let it go to complete the exposure! What I am trying to understand is if there is any other way to go beyond 30s say with a Phase 25+ back without keep pressing the release cable for 2min and above!? Like the way I shoot long exposures more than 30s with a film back (set T mode, then push it back to N after say 2min)!

I am in love with film but it does not hurt to know how to do this on a digital back as well in case I am in the field with no more film rolls left!

SergeiR

Why is it so important to inform us in every post that you are in love with film? We are not slow, we got it first time around.

No there is no way to stack exposures on rz within same digital frame with old-ish backs. It can not be done by design. Afaik.

To get to long exposures (past 8s) you just use B mode, no need to throw t-n. same as with film. Press release. Hold. Release as needed. Done.

Aryan Aqajani

Why is it so important to inform us in every post that you are in love with film?
Don't know what to say!

No there is no way to stack exposures on rz within same digital frame with old-ish backs. It can not be done by design. Afaik.
Just a week ago, I did stack two separate exposures on RZ, (16s and 18s) with almost 6s gap between them. Then made two layers in photoshop and reduced the transparency and it worked! Here is the result!

So, one can do stack exposure with whatever back they have! In my case, since my DM22 back goes up to 30s, then I need to consider that!

To get to long exposures (past 8s) you just use B mode, no need to throw t-n. same as with film. Press release. Hold. Release as needed. Done.
When I shoot long exposures more than 1min on film (sorry for repeating the word, "film" here again), I use T mode and then push it back to N to stop exposure! First of all, in the method you suggested, it just drains the battery! Second, just have one of those old classic release cable with no locking option! And last, I was just curious to know if the same Time/Normal setting works with a digital back or not! I think I should forget about it!

Professional

Don't know what to say!

Just a week ago, I did stack two separate exposures on RZ, (16s and 18s) with almost 6s gap between them. Then made two layers in photoshop and reduced the transparency and it worked! Here is the result!

So, one can do stack exposure with whatever back they have! In my case, since my DM22 back goes up to 30s, then I need to consider that!

When I shoot long exposures more than 1min on film (sorry for repeating the word, "film" here again), I use T mode and then push it back to N to stop exposure! First of all, in the method you suggested, it just drains the battery! Second, just have one of those old classic release cable with no locking option! And last, I was just curious to know if the same Time/Normal setting works with a digital back or not! I think I should forget about it!
Oh, You love film? Say it 100 times or say it on every post :thumbs::ROTFL:

Well, i didn't shoot long exposure long long time ago, but when i did in the past it was only with digital [35mm and MF], never tried with film except with Holga 120WPC which needs long exposure or very slow shutter speed due to its aperture.

In fact i like to use RZ more than my another film bodies, but i am always feeling it is better to use Hasselblad 500 series and that square format for long exposure, it is really very difficult when someone get 2 6x7 and 1 6x6 and 1 6x9 and more and then to choose which one to shoot with.