Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is the new 27" iMac the replacement for the Mac Pro?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is the new 27" iMac the replacement for the Mac Pro?

The specs for the 27" iMac are pretty impressive. Serious storage expansion is available via the Thunderbolt ports.

My fully loaded Mac Pro is getting old. Really old by digital standards. I'm concerned about reliability. Apple doesn't seem to have much interest in it. Apple really does prefer closed boxes like the iMac. Should I give up on the wait for an new Mac Pro and order the 27" iMac when it becomes available?

The setup for the new system will be a lot of work - will require all new mass storage . . . .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Is the new 27" iMac the replacement for the Mac Pro?

I use 27" iMacs. They are really nice machines. I also store my images on a external RAID drives and so the setup is rather easy--I also have a TimeMachine for the computer backup.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Myself I prefer a high end laptop and a wide gamut monitor like a NEC or Eizo. These monitors are RGB
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

??? All monitors are RGB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not all are wide gamut and Apples are not and if I remember correctly they are SRGB.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quoting a post but I seen this in official form just can't remember where.

Apple Cinema displays will display millions of colors and roughly represent the sRGB color space. They don't have onscreen controls so there aren't any adjustments for contrast or for the R, G or B values. If you are working in sRGB they should be fine. If you are working in Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RBG, you'll be losing a big chunk of the gamut. HP has a 27 inch display (ZR2740W) that will display billions of colors and will display Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB, but they omitted the onscreen controls (to reduce cost), just like the Apple displays. If you are working in the larger color spaces, why buy either one? Neither can be accurately calibrated, and in my opinion can't be used for critical color work. You won't find these shortcomings with real color accurate displays.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same boat. I have an 08 tower. Been waiting for USB3 and Thunderbolt.

The new iMac does look great. That plus a multibay Thunderbolt or USB3 external enclosure would be quite a nice setup.

The only downside I see to the iMac is the time required to swap out an internal hard drive, in the event of failure. But using SSDs inside would make that less of an issue. (As I use mine for work, downtime is something I think about.)

Also with 4 RAM slots, it can handle 32GBs, which is great. A tower can currently hold 128GBs, which is obviously a ton.

Here is a glimpse of what future Mac Pros could offer:
    ProMax One 16-core versus Mac Pro

Stay dry today neighbor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here folks we do have a thread on this to read.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/image-...t-display.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adhc View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I have an 08 tower. Been waiting for USB3 and Thunderbolt.

The new iMac does look great. That plus a multibay Thunderbolt or USB3 external enclosure would be quite a nice setup.

The only downside I see to the iMac is the time required to swap out an internal hard drive, in the event of failure. But using SSDs inside would make that less of an issue. (As I use mine for work, downtime is something I think about.)

Also with 4 RAM slots, it can handle 32GBs, which is great. A tower can currently hold 128GBs, which is obviously a ton.

Here is a glimpse of what future Mac Pros could offer:
    ProMax One 16-core versus Mac Pro

Stay dry today neighbor.
    This is exactly where I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Color me three waiting for this too -- and it's getting old waiting!

I do not like the iMac option as getting inside to make updates is a huge effort (have to remove the front glass monitor cover) and having a too-small, narrow gamut monitor as my main box does nothing to excite me. The iMini option is no great shakes either, but I actually like it better than the iMac option -- at least you can get into it a little easier, and 'the box' is out of the way wherever you store it. But then it is a laptop processor and main drive.

Seriously, if Apple can't get off the pot on this one and get a CURRENT, FULLY LOADED Mac Pro option soon, they may loose me back to PC...

/rant
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read the other thread and my position on this hasn't changed.

- you don't calibrate and profile a display to sRGB, Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB. those are device neutral color space standards used for consistent color translation.

- I calibrate and profile the ACD 27" LED and Thunderbolt displays. They don't have the on-screen RGB controls or knobs, but they are very adjustable via software controls. My targets are quite distinct from the factory setup (110 cdm^2 luminance, 1.8 gamma, 5600k white point. They image my work in the rendering task very well.

- The device specific display profile presents the translation matrix from the image's colors, in whatever your chosen working space might be (I use ProPhoto RGB) to the display, making the relative color values fit as closely as possible to what is capable of being displayed. Sure, on a wide gamut display, you might get some more values on screen ... I haven't seen so great a difference that I could not get what I wanted for a given photograph.

- My target calibration and display profile images my photos to a very high fidelity match to the output on paper, using the paper profiles and Epson 2400 and 3880 printers in a color managed workflow.

So it seems the goal of my photographic print processing workflow ... being able to adjust and render faithfully what I see on the screen to paper ... is being met. Perhaps there's some small percentage of subtle yellow and greens (according to the plots presented in a link from that page) that the 3880 and some papers can achieve but which I'm not never going to see.

To me, that loss isn't significant. The goal is to produce compelling photographs, which have always been constrained in one way or another by the capture medium and rendering process. A couple of percentage points loss where I can't reach a few tonal values at the edges of what's possible for my printer to output doesn't warrant my moving to a much more expensive monitor and computer system.

Perhaps it does matter for others, at which point add a second monitor to your iMac or use a Mac mini once the Mac Pro is no longer functional. Both the iMac and the Mac mini can support two display outputs (as can the Apple laptops).
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have you put them side by side. I rest my case. It's huge

What you are missing here is your not seeing your Prophoto color space it's out of the SRGB color gamut which is very small. It's a big difference and when processing I am far more accurate in my shadow areas and highlights. Frankly why you even bothering with Prophoto color space images if you can't see the whole gamut. Wide gamut you can see it and process to it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent post Godfrey.
    Thank you.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So you spend thousands and thousands of dollars on gear than you limit the color space to SRGB that your missing the rest of the data to your images. Sorry that don't compute. I wanna see every bit of color space my gear can capture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All I can tell you when I made the switch from a apple cinema to the NEC the difference was significant and obvious. Your money do what you want and believe is good enough for your workflow. Ill stick to wide gamut monitors.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    So you spend thousands and thousands of dollars on gear than you limit the color space to SRGB that your missing the rest of the data to your images. Sorry that don't compute. I wanna see every bit of color space my gear can capture.
    I produce 70% B&W photos, and half of my color work is intentionally reduced-gamut color... Our viewpoints differ. :-)

Our eyes are not sensitive or discerning enough to see all the tones and colors that a digital sensor can deliver...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you put them side by side....
    Yes. The difference is not significant to my eyes or to the work I am producing.

Post Thanks / Like

You have all that color information on your display, now what? Will you see all that gamut in a glossy magazine? What about ink-jet prints. Will the finest printers recreate all that color space? If not, what's the point?
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Our viewpoints may differ but I can tell you this Jack, Bob and I bought our NEC. Monitors at exactly the same time and we all had MF backs and what we were missing when viewing our images was SIGNIFICANT. Any color expert will tell you exactly the same thing. First thing they will say is buy a Eizo. LOL

I'm just pointing this out the apple cinemas are nice monitors but they are NOT wide gamut and they are SRGB. There is a difference . How you work is meaningless , these are facts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I'm sitting here reading this post on my Eizo. As far as I can tell I would be able to plug it into a 27" iMac and recalibrate it, giving me two really big displays, one of which is my Eizo.

My point on this thread isn't the display but to figure out whether I should replace my five-year old desktop now (actually in December) or continue to wait in forlorn hope that Apple finally updates the Mac Pro line.

BTW I believe that a good calibrated monitor is at least as important for B&W work as it is for color.

There are a substantial number of high end design professionals who must be in the same boat that I'm in. Any insights on what they are doing?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a NEC PA241W side by side with a Thunderbolt 27" display here in the lab right now. I'm looking at my M9 raw files using LR 4.2 using two MacBook Pro 13" computers side by side, set up identically. I calibrated both displays to the same target settings, with the same calibration unit, and they're running on identical computers. The difference I can perceive in the display quality of my raw files is simply too small to be of any importance. I don't have any high-end printers here in the lab at the office, but I am pretty certain that the prints would look identical if printed from either system.

Perhaps it's the lack of a $50,000 technical camera. Perhaps the device driver and graphics adapter in the two MacBook Pros I'm using. Perhaps it's my eyesight. But I'm happy with what I see on the NEC, and can't see much difference between it and the same image on the Thunderbolt display.

That's my bottom line.

PS: My old favorite display, a 2006 generation Apple Cinema Display 23" like the one I worked on from 2006 to 2011, sitting on the shelf next to the workbench. So while I was writing this, I pulled it over and set it up on the MacBook Pro that was driving the Thunderbolt 27" display. Ran the calibration and then compared the same photos.

For sure, the NEC looks yards different from the old ACD23" ... I'll take the NEC in that comparison any time!

Which I think points out a significant issue: many people are upgrading from older displays like that to the latest generation. Few people have both a new Apple display AND a new NEC display on their desktop at the same time. ALL of the latest generation displays look crisper, more detailed, with better tonal qualities, dynamic range, etc., than any three to four year old display.

Makes you wonder how we did photography with film and darkroom for 150 years before digital cameras existed, eh? :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most of the high-end design shops have gone to current hex-core Mac Pros -- they are significantly better performers with video, 2 and 3-D graphics as compared to our 'ancient' early 2008 models. My problem is that unit did not have native USB3 or TB and why I am limping along waiting. We are not alone, and this is a pretty big boat we're in I think. I do know a few who jumped ship early this year and went with uber hot-rodded PC's and seem to be totally happy, and maybe more so now with Win 8 which seems like a real upgrade. Hopefully it's significant enough to kick Apple in the butt and get them moving.

Sidebar point: I do believe all of this fits nicely into Apples usurious marketing schema of forcing their user base into marginal upgrades at their preference and not the markets. It's one of the reasons I'm considering reverting to PC; at least then my upgrades can be made at my preference in step with current technology...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody its a tough call as Apple seams to be paying more attention to the mobile side of computing. You ask a great question and i answered it myself with a rocket laptop connected to a external monitor , a 4 terabyte Promise Pegasus running Raid 0, USB 3 backup drives and such. Now is it a MP no it is not but it is very workable and i do push big files around. My opinion only and unless your doing major video stuff and such probably not as you are pushing IQ 180 files around it does handle that pretty well. But here is the rub this setup is costly and a refurb of the latest MP might not be a bad idea and adding functionality to it like PCI USB 3 cards , PCI T bolt drives and a nice SSD drive to it and be 8 cores. Your still talking a boat load of money.

I like my setup its fast its nimble and I can go with it on location but again I do have to base everything else on externals. So you need a good game plan for that. Its a tough call and i know folks are waiting but I also think folks should start looking at options because my fear is Apple wont address it. Its become to small a market. Yea like MF land. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    My point on this thread isn't the display but to figure out whether I should replace my five-year old desktop now (actually in December) or continue to wait in forlorn hope that Apple finally updates the Mac Pro line.

BTW I believe that a good calibrated monitor is at least as important for B&W work as it is for color.

There are a substantial number of high end design professionals who must be in the same boat that I'm in. Any insights on what they are doing?
    I agree with you: I need a well calibrated display AND a set of well matched printing profiles to make top notch B&W prints that have matching tints. Printing B&W on inkjet printers proves to be a fussy business still.

I can't speak for the design industry at large, but I work with graphics designers every day (I'm a staff technical writer in the publications department nowadays). They're all doing their work on iMac 27" systems. This department hasn't had a Mac Pro in the design lab for two years at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I have a NEC PA241W side by side with a Thunderbolt 27" display here in the lab right now. I'm looking at my M9 raw files using LR 4.2 using two MacBook Pro 13" computers side by side, set up identically. I calibrated both displays to the same target settings, with the same calibration unit, and they're running on identical computers. The difference I can perceive in the display quality of my raw files is simply too small to be of any importance. I don't have any high-end printers here in the lab at the office, but I am pretty certain that the prints would look identical if printed from either system.

Perhaps it's the lack of a $50,000 technical camera. Perhaps the device driver and graphics adapter in the two MacBook Pros I'm using. Perhaps it's my eyesight. But I'm happy with what I see on the NEC, and can't see much difference between it and the same image on the Thunderbolt display.

That's my bottom line.

PS: My old favorite display, a 2006 generation Apple Cinema Display 23" like the one I worked on from 2006 to 2011, sitting on the shelf next to the workbench. So while I was writing this, I pulled it over and set it up on the MacBook Pro that was driving the Thunderbolt 27" display. Ran the calibration and then compared the same photos.

For sure, the NEC looks yards different from the old ACD23" ... I'll take the NEC in that comparison any time!

Which I think points out a significant issue: many people are upgrading from older displays like that to the latest generation. Few people have both a new Apple display AND a new NEC display on their desktop at the same time. ALL of the latest generation displays look crisper, more detailed, with better tonal qualities, dynamic range, etc., than any three to four year old display.

Makes you wonder how we did photography with film and darkroom for 150 years before digital cameras existed, eh? :-)
    You still cant seem to grasp the facts in which i was trying to explain but at this point its all about what you do, frankly its is not about what you do when we are speaking specs. Those are not facts those are preferences that you will work with. A wide gamut monitor sees about 95 percent of the Prophoto color space a SRGB file is 50 percent the color space of a Prophoto color space.

Here is a quote

SRGB is the smallest of the photographers color spaces. It is about 20 percent smaller than Adobe RGB and half the size of ProPhoto RGB.

Take that data now insert it into a SRGB monitor and you are seeing only 50 percent of your Prophoto color space. A wide gamut monitor will see 95 percent of that same Prophoto color space. want to discuss this more i suggest a new thread but here is some reading data in a quick google search.

diglloyd - Wide-Gamut Displays for Photographers - Wide-gamut color display

Petr Vodnak Photography - Color Space

I am gracefully walking away from this thread as a admin. it is the best option.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What you are missing here is your not seeing your Prophoto color space it's out of the SRGB color gamut which is very small.
    The ProPhoto color space is out of every monitor's gamut as well as every printer's gamut. It is even out of the human gamut. But I do not profile my monitor to sRGB, but to a target. And then when you throw in rendering intents, things completely change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You need to understand what a wide gamut monitor is. Your apple cinema can only see the SRBG color space ( its limits) it cant see past that regardless of your target. A wide gamut monitor can see past the SRGB space into a much bigger color space.

Buying Guide to Eizo Monitors

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know what I wide gamut display is. You should understand that sRGB is not only a file gamut (it is not an input nor output gamut), but a rather old specification designed by Microsoft for the web. While designed for the internet, it is not a monitor nor output device profile. The monitor profile does not limit the file gamut, which is why there is different rendering intents--basically the only device that will show the colors in your print is the printer (expensive monitors will still not be able to do that). And the specific printer to boot. To try to say that color management is or even needs to be perfect is really not true. It is the old accuracy vs. precision debate.

You don't recommend Apple displays, that is fine. I use them professionally for large format printing and for output on commercial presses. I do not come to the same conclusion.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

I am well aware of all the facts you mention. I disagree with the need and cost for my work, and for MOST still photographers' work. That's all.

I've read every expert's opinions, read most of the books on the subject, and done my own experiments with the equipment. (In a former life, I was a researcher creating image processing software and rendering images from remote sensor data for NASA/JPL. I do have some skills in this domain still.)

My experiment this morning reinforced once more what I have been saying.

I am perfectly happy with my position on these things with regard to my photographic needs in image processing equipment. Others with other needs may disagree with me, but the buyers of my prints and other photographic products seem to be as happy with them as I am, at least.

I'll unsubscribe from this thread as I have no wish to debate the subject any further.

best,
    Godfrey

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sandy's raging outside and I'm bored as He}} so I'll wade in for fun

If you can't see it you can't even think about mapping it to something you can see.

profoto and widegamut is certainly beyond most of the destination outputs we have currently. It will always be beyond printing reproduction. But rendering intents matter and having choices is what making art is about.

Also the tech is evolving and maybe displays will be the majority output in the future, and maybe they will be very capable of rendering large colour spaces.

So if we all survive this storm we have something to look forward to

Post Thanks / Like

Cook: Apple planning professional Mac for 2013 | Macworld

That is the last thing I heard about it.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been asking that question for weeks....and here is what I have done.

No one knows other than a few holdouts at Mac Rumors suggest a new MP will be available or announced sometime in 2013. Whether rumor or not Mac World is in January and could be worth the wait...till then.

RAID via SATA on the Mac Pro is very fast...I just added a G-Tech 6 TB external RAID 0 that is writing a sustained 200 MB/sec for large files via a $60 NewerTech MAXPower eSATA 6G...Drive Genius 3 benchmarked.

So I have added a SSD as boot drive to my 2010 MP. I have two 3TB Hitachi enterprise drives coming (tomorrow) for data and have two 2TB Hitachi drives which will be RAID 1 mirrored as my Time Machine backup....archiving the best files and downloads/applications/financials to multiple BlueRay discs.

If one needs more speed then an ARECA RAID via SAS to external RAID 0 will tromp most anything out there.

The ability to expand video memory and drive space with the Mac Pro is an advantage over the iMAC...no doubt Apple knows this but they may not care...as the well-heeled commodity purchasing crowd is far and above their major market, as you know. In the past the cache afforded the company by selling a top-tier technical solution was important for image...at this point they may not care.

If a replacement is delivered...all of this transfers in an afternoon...if not then perhaps a dedicated box for photo/video and a Mac mini for all else.

Tough call at the present time.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have the newest generation of MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM and I am going to be purchasing a new MacPro in the near future if they come out with their next generation as it is much easier to work on a unit that will have two 1GB graphics cards and a minimum of 32 GB of RAM. I will be going with either the Eizo or NEC 30 inch monitor as well.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Petster View Post
    Cook: Apple planning professional Mac for 2013 | Macworld

That is the last thing I heard about it.
    What really bothers about that was the, "Don't worry, we're working on something really special for *LATER* *NEXT* year!" comment. Later next year is about a year from now, and I'm not sure I'll last that long...
    Jack

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A discussion worthy of Talmudic scholars ensued: is it "later next year" or "later, next year"? No one knows, but we hope the latter.

--Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 30th October 2012 at 03:07. Reason: I got my logic backwards. Sigh...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    A discussion worthy of Talmudic scholars ensued: is it "later next year" or "later, next year"? No one knows, but we hope the former.

--Matt
    It's Apple Talk, sort of like when you are in the Caribbean and you ask your waiter how long until the food comes and he says "Soon come".......
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like

The specs for the 27" iMac are pretty impressive. Serious storage expansion is available via the Thunderbolt ports.

My fully loaded Mac Pro is getting old. Really old by digital standards. I'm concerned about reliability. Apple doesn't seem to have much interest in it. Apple really does prefer closed boxes like the iMac. Should I give up on the wait for an new Mac Pro and order the 27" iMac when it becomes available?

The setup for the new system will be a lot of work - will require all new mass storage . . . .
    It sounds like a RAID setup external storage solution will be more important. These days they easily store up 12GB. My current setup can write files at 90+ MB/s, which is a few years old now. It headache free if drives fail, or when upgrading machines.

Personally the new iMacs are super sexy, get as much ram as you need and some SSDs. This will keep temperatures down, and speeds like nothing else. Also the new screen offers 75% less reflection, and if true, all the better to spend your time in front of the screen!

Post Thanks / Like

After the Mac Pro update earlier this year, Apple said a true upgrade would be coming in 2013. I have 12-Core 2.66 (2010) with 32 GB RAM, and the previous gen iMac 3.1 GHz quad core I7 w/ 16 GB of RAM. The Mac Pro runs circles around the iMac. As I'm typing this, the following apps are open (on the Mac Pro): Safari, Mail, CS6, C1 v7, Coda, iTunes (playing), Excel 2010 and a couple other little apps. If I try to do that on the iMac, it grinds to a halt. The iMac is okay with smaller files, but put something like a P65+ file through it, and it passes out trying to pass that TIFF from C1 1to CS6. Add some layers in C1 and it gets really slow.

The Mac Pro is connected to a 30" Apple Cinema display; the iMac's 27" display seems very deceptive to me. Blacks are much darker and the glossy screen looks more saturated. The iMac is nice for web-surfing and general work, but as a main editing machine, I couldn't do it. That said, the Apple marketing hype about the new iMac display sounds interesting. I'd love to see that tech in a new 30" display. I also have the Mac Pro loaded with HD's, so if I went with the iMac, there would be a little village of HD's scattered across the desk.

Overall, I vote for a Mac Pro, but had Apple released 6-Core iMac or dual quad core, I'd probably go iMac. I was surprised there was not a 6-core iMac this go-around, so given that there wasn't, I think it's very likely we'll see new Mac Pro's. I'm sure the Mac Pro price tags will suck...

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a long, long time coming, and I agree with Jack that "later, next year" is too long from now.

I like iMacs, but I wouldn't buy one as my main workstation. I don't like to be married to any display, and I like to be able to get in there and make changes easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunno if anyone here already knows about this.. but if you want to get rid of the iMac's gloss right now, just get your nails under the top left/right corners of the glass panel and just pull it right off, it's held down only by magnets. It's still reflective, but not obscenely so.

If you can't be bothered to tape over the exposed parts around the sides, you can Google for a replacement frame without the glass, costs like $50-70 or something. Macframe - Reduce Glare & Reflections | Macframe
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In answer to the original question a higher end Macbook Pro, Mac Mini or iMac coupled with a Promise Pegasus disk array will be a pretty good choice for photographic needs. In my view, for stills photography, it is no longer so important to have the most cores or the fastest processor. In fact the biggest problems for photography are disk access speeds and memory. These are where most bottlenecks are.

A fast Thunderbolt array (I use the 6 disk Promise Pegasus) will make a much bigger difference to your workflow speed and is probably the best place to put your money at the present time. If Apple come up with a new MacPro it will have Thunderbolt, as they are strongly behind it. So maybe if you wanted to hedge your bets you could buy the Mac Mini with 16GB RAM, some MacSales SDD drives and a Promise Pegasus. Then when Apple release a MacPro, simply install your software and plug in the Thunderbolt drive. You can then recoup some investment by selling the Mac Mini. Plus you can use your existing monitor if you already have a good one.

My specs, for reference:

Phase One P40+
    >50,000 images in Lightroom 4.2

Macbook Pro 2.5GHz (late 2011)
    16GB RAM
    240GB OWC SSD

Promise Pegasus 6TB Thunderbolt Drive

I used to have an 8 core MacPro 3.0GHz. The Macbook Pro runs faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Also if you want to get an idea of how well any new purchase will run (roughly) then you can check out these mac performance scores:

Mac Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6 View Post
    In answer to the original question a higher end Macbook Pro, Mac Mini or iMac coupled with a Promise Pegasus disk array will be a pretty good choice for photographic needs. In my view, for stills photography, it is no longer so important to have the most cores or the fastest processor. In fact the biggest problems for photography are disk access speeds and memory. These are where most bottlenecks are.

A fast Thunderbolt array (I use the 6 disk Promise Pegasus) will make a much bigger difference to your workflow speed and is probably the best place to put your money at the present time. If Apple come up with a new MacPro it will have Thunderbolt, as they are strongly behind it. So maybe if you wanted to hedge your bets you could buy the Mac Mini with 16GB RAM, some MacSales SDD drives and a Promise Pegasus. Then when Apple release a MacPro, simply install your software and plug in the Thunderbolt drive. You can then recoup some investment by selling the Mac Mini. Plus you can use your existing monitor if you already have a good one.

My specs, for reference:

Phase One P40+
    >50,000 images in Lightroom 4.2

Macbook Pro 2.5GHz (late 2011)
    16GB RAM
    240GB OWC SSD

Promise Pegasus 6TB Thunderbolt Drive

I used to have an 8 core MacPro 3.0GHz. The Macbook Pro runs faster.
    This is basically is what I have done . New 2012 MBP 16 gb go ram owc SSD 6g 240gb hard drive a internal 1tb spinning drive in the optical bay, than a T bolt Pegasus 4tb running Raid 0 which is as fast as the SSD drive. It flies and I really can't complain about its abilities . It does very well on all my Phase files and Nikon. My biggest hogs are C1 and PS and they both do very well. I just did a image 24x30 with 24 layers in it of more images went to large format extension and it flew right through it. Than I have a 30 inch NEC as my working monitor. Plus a Epson 7900 printer and a bunch of other stuff attached. I like having USB 3 now as I use that for backup drives. I honestly don't even want a MP as it really does me no good at this point since I need a laptop more. I figured this was my best option going forward for what I need. YMMV

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For me, being a "high end" hobbiest in both photography, printing, and computers, my first "real" computer was a DEC Rainbow running CPM, this was before DOS.
    Fast forward to the future.

I have a 2009 Mac Pro 16gb ram and a bunch of SSD drives and 2 4TB drives one for images and one for time machine, and a 2010 NEC 26" display. Yet like most of us, I was looking for a new Mac Pro to be released.

News flash, IMHO never going to happen.
    No Steve Jobs, and Apple now the largest or second largest company in the USA... It's all about the money and the share holders.
    There is just not enough Mac Pro users out there to justify a new Machine, if there was Apple would have already introduced it last week with the rest of there cutting edge technology apple mini, 13 Mac pro, Mac mini, and and new iMac.

I think the new 27 iMac with its new display "maybe" the ticket, not for all of us, yet until they are shipping just have to wait and see, the monitor is factory calibrated but to what standard? Who knows and apple does not say.

In the mean time I've moved back to the "dark side" Built my own I7 Ivy bridge box fully loaded for well under 2k and I think the only thing I am missing other then the OSX experience is a true 16bit printing pipeline out of LR, that's it.

My Mac Pro is now my Web surfing, and email box with my older Apple cinema display.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting article on the MBP 15 inch standard and Retina. I actually could add another SSD for 300 dollars run RAID 0 and fly at warp speeds. Kind of tempted too. Lol

OWC SSDs Make 2012 MBP 15" a Speed Champ | Other World Computing Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    Are you absolutely sure you can add another internal SSD to a new Mac Book Pro? I don't think you can.

I don't know as much as the new Mac Book Pro is way cool, for $3700.00 loaded IMHO is way over priced for me.

For $1200 you can get a new mac mini with the same I7 processor and 255GB SSD and add your own 16gb ram and get a 30" NEC Display.
    Sounds like a better deal, unless you have to have a portable...

Steven

Interesting article on the MBP 15 inch standard and Retina. I actually could add another SSD for 300 dollars run RAID 0 and fly at warp speeds. Kind of tempted too. Lol

OWC SSDs Make 2012 MBP 15" a Speed Champ | Other World Computing Blog
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have the Retina model and yes I do have a 1tb drive in the optical bay. The connection now is 6g like it is on the main hard drive side so given that i could do that now. It was a kludge to do this in the 2011 model because most of the connections in the optical bay where only 3g. The retina model is really nice but i still wanted to be able to remove and replace hard drives so i stayed with the classic model.

Yes my issue is do have have to be portable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    Just checking, yes you are right older mac book pro, upgrading it no problem, for sure the way to go.....
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just not sure Raid 0 would buy me much as this SSD drive as a single the reads and writes are just shy of 500

Post Thanks / Like

Guy my setup is very similar to yours. I have the 17" purchased just before the new Retina's were released plus the NEC PA241w. I have the OWC 960 3G SSD in the optical bay so I can put quite a few images on there, and the OWC 480 6G to boot and run off. The 960 is really (2) 480's in Raid 0.

It is just so nice to take a very complete catalog with master images everywhere without any external drives. Pretty quick too; not 6G but 3G is good enough for me. Also backups are done via the plugin esata pro card from Sonnet.

Although I'm not a full time photographer I am dealing with IQ180 files, sometimes stitched / focus blended tiffs @ 500mb each.

Dave