Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best older digital back for stitched landscapes on view camera?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Best older digital back for stitched landscapes on view camera?

Thanks Rob. This helps a lot!

I hadn't thought about using an enlarger, and projecting on the scanning back. What a great idea!
    I have two enlargers that are collecting dust, since I no longer have a darkroom. For 35 mm film I have a sharp 50mm Apo-Rodagon that could be put to good use. There should be plenty of light since only a 3"x4" image needs to be projected.

Francois

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Francois_A View Post

I hadn't thought about using an enlarger, and projecting on the scanning back. What a great idea!
    I have two enlargers that are collecting dust, since I no longer have a darkroom. For 35 mm film I have a sharp 50mm Apo-Rodagon that could be put to good use. There should be plenty of light since only a 3"x4" image needs to be projected.

Francois
    However it still seems it would be easier to use the scan back with macro/enlarging lens and shoot a tranny back lit. One of the disadvantages here is the lack of Digital Ice so if you go this route post scan cleanup might be a bear depending upon how dirty or scratched your negs are. One thing to be concerned with also, is dust collecting on the sensor while its scanning in this position. It might not be a big deal, but certainly worth thinking about.

Its cheaper than buying an Imacon/Hassy scanner though!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gallagher View Post

...The FX+ is a real FW400 connection directly from the scanning head to the computer. Nothing else is necessary. Betterlight has always needed a controller box/hard drive that the camera writes to. The BL gets its power from this and uses it as a secondary Hard Drive. In the field, this is much more cumbersome than a single FW cable.
    Dave makes a good point here regarding the simple use of FW to puter connection, but there are a few downsides to the scenario also. Some of the newer generation laptops have very bright screens even for outdoor usage. I have heard of a few people turning the display down even outside with some of the new Vaio's. And Sony now has a 1.4 lb exceedingly small laptop as in not much larger than a checkbook. Not something that you could run the P1 FX+ on due to FW needs. Not sure about the software.

Also the BL battery (newer L-ion) has been known to run some 15 hours or so on location. But agree it is a somewhat more cumbersome situation though not nearly as much as I thought going into it. None of the older Apple laptops able to run the P1 software have a very bright screen, in fact they are quite dim outside. I know I have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gallagher View Post
    Another advantage of the FX+ is the RGB probe. This probe detects the flicker/phase of certain lights in all three channels. It then compensates for this in the final image, thus eliminating scan lines from the lighting scenario. No other scan back has this technology.
    This technology becomes much more important for hot lights such as tungsten etc than newer generation lights such as FLD's or HMI's. Having done a couple hundred studio scans thus far I have yet to see any flicker problem using the fluorescent lights I have.

The FX+ appears to be a heck of a deal for the price they are now selling them, and have thought about getting one myself if for no other reason than the simpler FW location setup compared to the BL.

I am curious though, is the chip set in this FX+ the later K2 version or the older Kodak sensor?

Hope this helps

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    I am curious though, is the chip set in this FX+ the later K2 version or the older Kodak sensor?
    Rob
    I am curious about that too.
    Also, when using shifts and tilts with wide angles, does one get colour cast, as it is the case on some medium format digital backs?

Thanks,

Francois

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Francois_A View Post
    I am curious about that too.
    Also, when using shifts and tilts with wide angles, does one get colour cast, as it is the case on some medium format digital backs?

Thanks,

Francois
    Not with the BL scan back and have no reason to believe it would create the problem on the P1 either. From what I understand it only happens on bayer chips with no AA filter.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a quick look through the user manuals for both these brands.

Unless I'm reading them wrong, the BL has a better choice of 'virtual' line times (the actual line times are similar, if not the same), and allows full choice of ISO speeds.
    If my interpretation was correct (I'll have to re-read it), the P1 back can only do 400 ISO at full res; it will go up to 1600 ISO, but only at tiny file sizes.

I've just ordered a P1 back from CI, but as I said elsewhere I'm a long way from any of my gear so I won't be able to make a report for a considerable time.