The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium format travel photography.

aboudd

I just returned from a two week trip to Spain and Portugal. I use medium format for shooting architectural details and color studies. I took Leica S2, tripod, and the 35 and 70MM I was tempted to take my 120, but as I was shooting on the street working out of a bag instead of a roller case, I wanted to forego the extra weight and bulk. I found this to be an ideal kit.

Last edited:

H.Lux

I have the same strategy. Take with me on the trip what I can carry. Then everyday I take with me one camera and two lenses, maybe 35 & 90 mm or two ww lenses, or one T/S and one normal lens, just how I feel that day.

Stefan

KeithL

Wherever I am, whatever I'm doing, equipment is kept to an absolute minimum. Anything other is a drain on my mental, physical and creative wellbeing.

Professional

In fact when i travel i may carry many things, and i leave in the hotel what i don't need and hiking with the necessary gear, i mostly go out with 1 body and 2 lenses, hardly i carry 3, but i plan my outs so then i don't shoot thousands subjects, with that i need 2 bodies at least and 5 lenses.

I did carry my MF once only in the past when i visited USA, i was going around with only 2 lenses, HC80 and HCD28, i was using H3DII-39 that time.

Shashin

Everything is diminishing returns. With the freedom of stitching, I use my 55mm lens 95% of the time. My 35mm lens picks up 4.9% with the 0.1% taken up by the 120mm. I keep my 300mm in the bag so I don't get blown away in the wind.

bythewei

My setup was a little hardcore by my standards.

Hasselblad 503 CXi
501 CM
50mm CFi
150mm CFi
2 film backs
Kenko teleconvertor
Gitzo 2541
40 rolls of film

I needed some digital convenience as well. So I had a Nex 5N and a kit lens as well.

tsjanik

My name is Amr and I am a Gear-a-holic.:bugeyes:

...............I am going to Paris .....
Posting your favorite paris photos is a bonus for all of us.
Amr:

OK, from some old files:
Based on the replies from those who know you, I suspect you bring way too much; I understand, as I do the same. My advice is to bring as much as you might need, but carry a minimum. I have walked around Paris with a 35mm, a 645 and 6x7. If your interest is only architecture and big prints , take the MF and a tripod; otherwise, the M9 and a few lenses.

Pentax LX, Jardin du Luxembourg:

LX, Japanese tour group at Notre Dame

Pentax 645N :

This is how the Louver looks in January :

Pentax 67:

goesbang

Carry-on luggage restrictions are pretty helpful in focusing the mind on what to bring when traveling. I can understand why many folks have swapped over to the high MP dark side (D800 etc). With medium format it's much easier to take the SUV and not worry about having to pack down. It's tough to travel with ONLY MF gear either due to size/weight or the need for a more universal camera for use in low light or more social situations.[/QUOTE]

Graham, I did 27 shoots involving international flights in the last 12 months and this has really focussed my mind on what I take and DON'T use. Since I started paying attention to it, my kit has reduced massively.
These days my "personal" kit has distilled down to my Alpa STC ( I hope to reduce this further by getting a TC soon) and Rodie 23 and 40mm lenses, a few Lee grads, polariser for the 40mm, IQ180 and 6 batteries, charger, small Gitzo
Mountaineer Carbon and Manfrotto Magnesium head. Easy as...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Bryan,

Yes I completely agree. The tech cam travel outfit can be remarkably small. I always have a backup of some sort though which depending on the destination will be my Fuji X-Pro1 or a D600 & 24-120VR II. I'm currently on a workshop in the desert SW so I also brought my full spectrum D800 and a 35/1.4. My main outfit is my STC with 32, 47, 90 & 150 with the IQ160 & sundries.

If I were going to Paris then it would most likely just be the Fuji or the D600.

michali

Weather in Paris at this time of year may be a limiting factor in terms of what equipment to take. It tends to rain regularly in winter. You may not be able to use an MF camera with a tripod or monopod. For this time of year, my suggestion is to travel with a lighter kit.

I live in the south of France and travel to Paris once a month. For the past 2 trips I've wanted to take my Hasselblad 503CW & CFV50, both times prior to departure I've checked the weather and have opted to take the M9 instead. When traveling with the M9, I normally pack the 28-35-50mm Tri-Elmar (invaluabe travel lens) and the 50mm Summilux f1.4 as well as a super wide either 16-18-21mm Tri-Elmar or 24mm Elmarit.

I recently received my Monochrome and am heading back to Paris at the end of the month with it.

A few images made with the M9 and Tri-Elmar on my last visit to Paris 3 weeks ago.

View attachment 65380

View attachment 65381

View attachment 65382

View attachment 65383

View attachment 65384

ghoonk

I'd second the guys who suggested traveling light. I was in Paris and Brantome earlier this year and was pounding the streets of Paris with my wife. Had an Xpan with 30/45/90 lenses and my X100 most of the time. MF gear was kept in the hotel until we got to Brantome and rented a car, and then drive around the countryside for shots.

If I were to do it again, I'd bring my M9P, Monochrom, with a 21, 35 and 50 lens, and X100 as a backup. If the H4D had to come along, I'd pack the 28 HCD and the 100 with my 1.7x teleconverter or my HTS1.5 for landscapes and architecture.

I was cautioned by several Parisians in my workplace not to carry fancy equipment as times are tough and I might get accosted. In the Louvre, I found the top zip of my Thinktank waistpack opened, but I think whoever opened it found a bag of film up top and left it alone, and didn't notice the Xpan kit under it -phew-

yaya

I travel on a weekly base around Europe and usually have to carry as much as 3-4 digital backs, 3-4 lenses and then cables, chargers, batteries, adapters for different cameras and a tripod. All this on top of one 645DF body and sometimes also a V-grip, an iXR body and an Arca-Swiss Rm2D with a lens

I use a cheap carry-on trolly with a pelican insert fitted which I can re-organasie fairly quickly. For example last week I spent 2 days in the Czech Republic, came home at night, unpacked and repacked and then went to Paris in the morning for another 2 days, with different kit.

Fully loaded this often get to 20kg but most airlines do have any issues with that. Going through security is a different story but I try to get there 5-10 minutes early to let them take the whole thing apart:)

The tripod is a small Induro C114. It's not really made for medium format but it's a 4-section so folds nicely into the trolly.

In addition I take a backpack with a laptop and all other stuff (including a toothbrush !) which has enough room (just) for one body with a lens. Usually this would be the Arca with a lens and one back in a small pouch.

The Arca is wrapped in a neoprene sleeve so if I know that I will have time for a walkabout I leave everything in the hotel and just take that with or without a tripod, 2-3 batteries in the pocket, a grey card and an LCC diffuser and that's it.

Enjoy Paris!

Yair

OliverM

My own experience is that I get the best picture from a situation when I have the appropriate camera:
-landscape and architecture : I essentially like pictures an alpa, and even more when used with a tripod
-portraits & street photography : I essentially like pictures from a Contax 645
-low light, street, point & shoot : I am happy when I can bring some souvenir pictures back with a Nikon 3 Dx
Of course, I like some street photography and even portraits I shot with the Alpa, I like some portraits and landscape from the Nikon, etc.
Of course what really matter is the subject, the light, etc, and much more beautiful pictures than mine were taken with any other type of camera.
Of course I capture much less pictures from the Alpa and Contax than with a D3x, any DSLR or an M9. But the few I get, I like them a lot.

But the taste for nice equipment, the search for progress in photography (technically & artistically) brought me where I am with too many systems. I like them all and I find that each of them has specific and unique advantages.
So at the time of packing for a travel, it is always a cornelian choice … I often take 2 systems “only”, upon travel conditions and typical photography I would take …

Everything can fit in a reasonably sized bag, which is OK for the plane, but too heavy and not convenient for a day walk in a city. There I want only 1 camera, so I alternate : the alpa on a sunny day, the Contax the second sunny day, the D3x in the evening or in the rain, … or even best, I take 1 camera and my wife takes the D3x …

For Paris, where I lived about 15 years and that I keep visiting very often, I now like to take the Alpa only. If you don't know Paris yet, your M9 would be perfect !

Some suggestions for Paris, nothing special, just the areas where I like to go and walk. Paris is for street photography, especially with your M9, so don't forget good choes !

1st axis : cross Paris by foot, 2 days …10/10 for architecture, urban landscapes
-Start from the oldest bridge in Paris, “le Pont Neuf”, nice views over the Seine, you can go down to the river from the “quai des orfèvres” and have a nice view of the series of bridges.
- Still on the “île de la Cité” : see place Dauphine (very quiet),
- Do not miss the Sainte Chapelle (visit the Conciergerie first and buy a combined ticked, you will avoid the long security line to the St Chapelle, which is actually the security control to the court next to it)
- on Sunday morning, see the birds market on Place Louis Lépine,
- reach Notre Dame (I never climbed to the top, I hate waiting in lines, but HCB took a famous picture from there)
- Go through square Jean XXIII, views over the Seine, reach Pont de l’Archévéché and walk along “Quai aux fleurs”, views on Ile Saint Louis, views on city hall on the opposite side of the Seine,
-Take some time on bridge Saint-Louis for street photography, enjoy an excellent café-croissant early in the morning on the terrace of Le Flore en l’Ile (alternately you can eat there late at night), this is the quintessence of Paris. You can also taste an ice cream from Berthillon. All shops on the Ile St Louis sell this ice cream, no specific interest to look from the original store.
-Walk along the quai d’Orléans and reach the bridge “de la Tournelle”. Views over Notre Dame. (when crossing you will see the restaurant “Tour d’Argent” which overseas the bridge and offers a great view over Notre Dame …to be avoided if you still need some budget to purchase a camera or lenses)
-Walk backwards along quai de la tournelle, turn right after square René Viviani, see the shop “Shakespeare and company”, see street St Julien le Pauvre and its church, street Galande.
-continue to the “Greek” area, with many kebab restaurants around street de la Huchette. Many tourists. Sandwiches restaurants are not clean and I must say I had some difficulties eating there for the first time, 20years ago, but it didn't kill me, not so bad neither.
-Reach place St Michel then rue St André des Arts. See the “passage” behind the Procope. Continue Rue de Buci and reach Bd St Germain.
-Walk along ST Germain to Eglise ST Germain, bar “les deux magots” (the place to be with a Leica)
-Back to the Seine via rue Bonaparte, reach the “pont des arts”. This bridge offers the best views of the Seine and the ile de la Cité.
-Cross the bridge and enter the Louvres (cour carrée, then pyramide on the left)
-See the Rivoli street and reach the Jardin des Tuileries
-Turn right to see Place Vendôme (don’t go with your wife if you need some budget to purchase a new car)
-Continue to the Opera.
-Then Bd Hausman and enter Galeries Lafayette, see the Coupole on top of it. Again, an area to avoid with your wife …
- Reach Place de la Madeleine. Taste a croissant from Fauchon, have a look to Hédiart, reach the “rue de Suresne” with the best shop of whiskies in France, then rue du fbg St Honoré, with fashion shops and French presidency.
-Back to place de la Concorde.
-Then a walk on the right side on the Champs Elysées. If you turn left to avenue Montaigne you will find shops for your wife and this will lead you to the Seine with a nice view over Eiffel Tower, Orsay museum, Grand Palais.

Other places to walk though :

2. Le Marai : 8/10 for street photography, architecture
-city hall, rue de Rivoli, rue Vieille du Temple, rue des rosiers, back to Rivoli, rue St Antoine, rue de Sévigné, place Ste Catherine, rue de Turenne, rue des blancs manteaux, place des Vosges. Try the restaurant l’Ambroisie, one of the very best in Paris, unless you still want to buy a digital back.
-Back to Rue St Antoine south via rue de Birague. Taste a glass of wine on the opposite side of the street (vins des pyrénées).
-Walk to Place de la Bastille.

3. Père Lachaise cemetery : 10/10 for art photography
- an impressive old cemetery

4. Bercy & the large library : 6/10 for street photography
- cour St Emilion : old wine warehouses transformed into restaurants and movie theater
- Grande Bibliotheque

5. la Bastille : 6/10 for street photography
-Rue de la roquette and rue de Lappe are popular places, with many bars and restaurants
-From La Bastille you can also reach « la coulée verte » along avenue Daumesnil : a railway that was transformed into a green path.

6. Mouffetard, Arènes de Lutèces, Panthéon 9/10 on Sunday morning for street photography
- start from the low Av des Gobelins / square St Médard.
- take rue Mouffetard, a nice market on Sunday morning, musicians & singers of old French songs
- reach place de la contre-escarpe, have a drink, reach rue Monge and "les arènes de Lutèces" (roman place, very calm and nice)
- continue rue Descartes, rue Clovis, Panthéon, la Sorbonne

7. Jardin du Luxembourg : 9/10 for street photography, again ideal on Sunday morning when children play with small sailboats

8. Montmartre, place des Tertres : needs to be done once, almost only for tourists today, but nice views over Paris, nice photogenic stairways : 9/10 for urban landscapes
The area of Pigalle and the Moulin Rouge are not really nice to walk around in the evening.

9.La Défense : La Grande Arche is a nice architecture, there are nice views over Paris also. Do not come in the evening (not safe) or over the week-end (empty). Don’t go there if you live in NYC, Chicago or Hong Kong, you could be disappointed. 8/10 for architecture.

10. Parc Monsouris or parc des buttes chaumont : nice parks, 7-8/10 for parks and street photography. (if you are at Monsouris, don’t miss see the Square de Montsouris).

11. I had almost forgotten the Eiffel tower ... but not sure this is for photography ...

I do not mention museums : Louvres, Orsay, Grand Palais, Picasso (closed at this time), Rodin, etc, are places to visit. You can take very nice pictures inside but you can't used tripods as far as I know.