The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium format travel photography.

aeaemd

My name is Amr and I am a Gear-a-holic.:bugeyes:

I am going to Paris for thanksgiving and , as always, the question of what gear to take comes up. this trip, I am planning to take all medium format gear and leica M9 and monochrome.
I am curious to know what the medium format shooters take with them in personal trips. For those who are Paris aficionado, any tips, tricks, or secret places to shoot; places outside the icons.
I searched the internet and I got mixed messages regarding the use of tripod in public/outside, so, please share your personal experience.

Posting your favorite paris photos is a bonus for all of us.

danlindberg

My mini-setup consists of Alpa TC + SK35XL + SK72L + DB. Accessories are Leica D5 + Gitzo 2 series + Linhof micro3D head + 2x 16gb extreme pro 90mb/s + 4 batteries and charger.

This fits in a small, light bag and covers a lot of possibilities.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I know in NYC you need a permit to set up a tripod in certain areas, due to "security" concerns. I am not sure about other areas.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
A monopod can greatly expand the situations where you can get your shot, decrease your strain (if your camera is heavy you are no longer holding it up; it rests on the tripod when shooting or when resting), and usually don't trigger the same scrutiny as tripods.

A small tech cam can give you fantastic quality in a very compact package. However, it's a very different kind of shooting and I'm not sure I'd recommend such a switch right before a big trip (better to have time to practice and get used to the new system). The Cambo RC400 and Arca Swiss Factum are good alternatives to the TC/STC.

But back up for a second. The first step in planning anything is to define your goals. When packing for a trip I first ask myself this essential question: "is it ok (for this trip) if there is a shot I can't get?". When the trip is professional in nature the answer is often no, in which case I'll pack more zooms, more lenses total, bigger flashes, and more than one body (backup and the ability to have two lenses ready instantly). If the trip is personal the answer is often yes, in which case I pack less lenses (only my favorite primes), only one body, and a small flash (if any). Sometimes on such a trip a potential image comes up that I can't reach with my lens/body/flash combo, but it does not bother me.

I find often that too many options are beyond my photographic ability to take advantage of. In other words if you put me in a situation with a single prime lens I will often come out with better images than if you give me three primes and an ultrazoom. There are very likely much more talented photographers out there who can pre-visualize compositions in multiple focal lengths simultaneously; but I can barely think through compositions in a single focal length.

From this point of view I think I would suggest either your M9 OR your Monochrome. Since you bought the Monochrome that implies you enjoy the idea of being limited to one kind of rendition (B+W). So embrace that! If you're bringing your medium format kit think about what situations it will excel in over your Monochrome and stick with the lenses/bodies/accessories for those situations. Having "full coverage" to me is vastly over rated for personal shooting.

On one personal trip I took an infrared digital back on a tech camera with a single lens... to shoot a football game. There were any number of shots I could not get, but I just let them fly by me without concern; the images I did get are very meaningful to me.

Geoff

Doug's points are well taken. Working with a single camera lens makes you think harder. Here are a few with a TLR in Paris, early morning. The last one works better larger.

Shashin

I take my Pentax 645D with a 35mm, 55mm, and 120mm lenses and a small Manfrotto table-top tripod and ballhead for a trip to urban locations. This was taken with the 645D, 55mm lens, and that tripod (put on a window ledge):

(not Paris) ;)

I have never been able to get along with monopods--that is just me. I have done a lot of documentary work with medium format (6x6, 6x12, and MFD) and simply prefer to hand hold my camera. Getting sharp images at 1/60 of a second is easy with the 645D. I can get down to 1/5, but the success rate goes down with that. The mirror in the 645D is really well dampened and I am not sure about other MFD bodies. If I have room in a checked bag, I do put in a real tripod, but I find I just don't take it out of the hotel.

I have a small camera back pack. That is my limit. If something does not fit, it does not go. I take all the dividers out of the bag and put my lenses in a Think Tank belt system and pouches (not the padded belt). When I work, I just throw on the belt and wear the empty pack. If I tire of the belt, it goes back in the bag. The bag is also go for maps and the other stuff you need to carry. Like Geoff, I am also happy just to stick one lens on the 645D and leave everything in the bag. I have been doing a one lens, one camera thing for 25 years and so it is no big deal, other find it rather scary if they are not used to it. I would then recommend one lens on your MFD and one lens on your M Leica and go walking around with those.

baudolino

I did a 10 day trip to Uganda in the Summer with a Leica S2 with just two lenses: 35mm and 120mm. I did miss a longer lens for the wildlife but managed nevertheless...and enjoyed carrying a reasonably compact and lightweight bag (Bilingham 307) that sat next to me in the jeep, easy to access. I did not take a tripod and did not feel I missed too many shots at the time, because of that. But in retrospect, I would take the tripod if I went again, not so much for landscapes but for some staged people photos - from experience in other developing countries (like Morocco) I know that people (especially kids) get interested in what I am doing when I do the "serious photographer" with a tripod. This tends to break the communication barrier and makes it easier to ask interesting groups of people to pose for an impromptu staged shot. Thinking about our trip with hindsight, I realize there were a number of such potential interesting shots that I could have taken but the idea felt awkward / inappropriate to just stop the car and ask people if I could take a quick "tourist snap" of them - I believe now, that had I spent the time, set up the tripod, allowed people to peep through the finder and view the images on the LCD, I could have brought an extra number of interesting shots. This is just my recent personal experience, I don't know if it is relevant for you. Have a good trip.

jerome

it really depends on what kind of photographs you want to do !
For street photo, I do not use MF (I bought the D800 for that) : M9 is fine !
If you want to do cityscape, architecture MF is good (be careful with distortion !). I use mainly the 28 mm, a little 50 mm. Early in the morning or in the evening tripod is good, but do forget Paris is a very busy city. You can use your tripod everywhere at condition you don't disturb (if you do, you'll be wipped out by the crowd lol)

with 28 mm and 50 mm I mainly shoot handheld

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You have received some excellent advice on selecting your equipment . I ve made 5 trips to Paris specifically to shoot for a week to ten days . Here are a few non equipment tips .
1. Trip Advisor is superb resource for apartment rentals . You can get a great apartment in a central location for much less than a hotel .

2. Get familiar with the public transportation system. The metro is great starting point for many of the best venues . The Batabous river boats operate like a water taxi and are a great way to cover the major venues .

3. Get the travel guide that is organized around walking the city . The first trip I walked every walk in the book and learned the metro system .

4. Get the movies "paris at midnight" and "julie julia ". Think like a film location scout .

Find the Cafe on Il St Louis ..next to the bridge between Cite (where Notre Dame is located ) and Il St Louis . I consider that bridge to be one of the most central locations for street shooting .

I ve found that street shooting requires lots of wandering and discovery ..but it helps if you get to the best starting points when the light is optimum . This requires some planning . For example you want to know when the lights come on at the Louve and the Eiffel Tower .

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I ve been thinking about the same equipment issues on for my next trip to shot in Paris (probably next spring ) . Two questions can help ...(1) what are the primary types of shooting that you will be doing and (2) how will you transport and secure your equipment .

My typical kit for Paris would be Two M bodies and 6-7 lenses . When I go out to the street I will be using two bodies and 3-4 lenses . Start with the 28 on one and a 50 on the other . Thanksgiving means winter skies,short days and lots of available light . I would want summiluxes for this trip .

This means I have to secure 3-4 Leica M lenses when I am out . The advantage of an apartment is that no one is coming in un announced .

I have an S2 and keep thinking ..I must take this to Paris . The venues to shoot are spectacular but the issue is I have to manage two sets of equipment .

At this time of year the MONO will be the most fun to work with . One of my good friends shoots in Paris frequently and he swears by the MONO and the 35/1.4asph fle . He favors the point of view thats "its the places you go and the people you meet ...not the equipment you use " . With that said he loves his MONO because it frees him to shoot without concern about high ISO technique.

Anders_HK

A monopod can greatly expand the situations where you can get your shot, decrease your strain (if your camera is heavy you are no longer holding it up; it rests on the tripod when shooting or when resting), and usually don't trigger the same scrutiny as tripods.

A small tech cam can give you fantastic quality in a very compact package. However, it's a very different kind of shooting and I'm not sure I'd recommend such a switch right before a big trip (better to have time to practice and get used to the new system). The Cambo RC400 and Arca Swiss Factum are good alternatives to the TC/STC.

But back up for a second. The first step in planning anything is to define your goals. When packing for a trip I first ask myself this essential question: "is it ok (for this trip) if there is a shot I can't get?". When the trip is professional in nature the answer is often no, in which case I'll pack more zooms, more lenses total, bigger flashes, and more than one body (backup and the ability to have two lenses ready instantly). If the trip is personal the answer is often yes, in which case I pack less lenses (only my favorite primes), only one body, and a small flash (if any). Sometimes on such a trip a potential image comes up that I can't reach with my lens/body/flash combo, but it does not bother me.

I find often that too many options are beyond my photographic ability to take advantage of. In other words if you put me in a situation with a single prime lens I will often come out with better images than if you give me three primes and an ultrazoom. There are very likely much more talented photographers out there who can pre-visualize compositions in multiple focal lengths simultaneously; but I can barely think through compositions in a single focal length.

From this point of view I think I would suggest either your M9 OR your Monochrome. Since you bought the Monochrome that implies you enjoy the idea of being limited to one kind of rendition (B+W). So embrace that! If you're bringing your medium format kit think about what situations it will excel in over your Monochrome and stick with the lenses/bodies/accessories for those situations. Having "full coverage" to me is vastly over rated for personal shooting.

On one personal trip I took an infrared digital back on a tech camera with a single lens... to shoot a football game. There were any number of shots I could not get, but I just let them fly by me without concern; the images I did get are very meaningful to me.
Doug's reply is perfect. It only miss one thing; you state you are a gear-a-holic. Thus perhaps ask if your quest is to play with the gear, or to captur good images. If your answer is to capture good images, then consider your gear and grab what feels best in your hands as a tool with just choice of one lens. It will enable you to captue good images. If your answer was to play with gear, well...then you will simply carry more gear, and gear you will not use, perhaps come back with many more images, but not as many really good ones.

Lastly, forget images you have seen of Paris, now focus on what is there, as seen through just what you bring.

Simple. :chug:

I could also state my first travel with Leaf back fresh in hands was to dusty India with two lenses...

Best regards,
Anders

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
There is a saying . If it fits.........
........... Lol
Hmm, we'll we both know Amr so that's dangerous advice because I've seen how much he CAN ship and carry! :bugeyes:

As a fellow gear slut with poor packing selection skills I'd actually take just a small M outfit. I think you'll get more out of the shooting experience particularly within the city. The M9 and/or mono with maybe 50 APO and perhaps something wider like a 28mm or 35mm on the other body would work well. The new small Cambo with your P45+ or IQ with sensor plus and maybe a single light lens like a 43 or 47 would also work if you get it in time. (As you know, I'd take my TC/47 & P25+ for a trip like this).

As said though, as a fellow "enabler" I'm probably not a good role model :ROTFL:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Crap I didn't read the first line!

Had I realized it was Amr I would have changed my response entirely!

Amr, you have to bring EVERYTHING. If not you know you'll regret it!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
18 workshops and I NEVER seen anyone like Amr and the amount of gear he travels with and Graham your right behind him. Lol

But I love there enthusiasm and love of photography. That supersededs the hundred pounds of gear any day.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
18 workshops and I NEVER seen anyone like Amr and the amount of gear he travels with and Graham your right behind him. Lol
Guilty as charged. Amr and I did a trip together to the Salton Sea recently - we're living proof that two photographers can completely fill a full size SUV with camera gear with no room for passengers ... and that didn't include the luggage! :thumbs: :ROTFL:

Carry-on luggage restrictions are pretty helpful in focusing the mind on what to bring when traveling. I can understand why many folks have swapped over to the high MP dark side (D800 etc). With medium format it's much easier to take the SUV and not worry about having to pack down. It's tough to travel with ONLY MF gear either due to size/weight or the need for a more universal camera for use in low light or more social situations.

andreleon

Bonjour Amr., I was born in Paris , I live near my town. The best photos I've shot anywhere in Paris were with my M9 ,24 or 28 WA ,35,and 90 all Leica lenses . You'll have to walk a lot , so forget your MF(believe me I also have a Blad) and a tripod that you can't use in museums, churches and in the middle of our avenues or boulevards . Have a nice trip, et faites de bonne photos . Cheers .

rmueller

Bonjour Amr., I was born in Paris , I live near my town. The best photos I've shot anywhere in Paris were with my M9 ,24 or 28 WA ,35,and 90 all Leica lenses . You'll have to walk a lot , so forget your MF(believe me I also have a Blad) and a tripod that you can't use in museums, churches and in the middle of our avenues or boulevards . Have a nice trip, et faites de bonne photos . Cheers .
Not born in Paris, but as a german travelling to Paris from time to time i can only agree. For me, Paris is THE home of street photography and best discovered by walking around (and you will walk your feet off), so a M9
is perfect for this.

However, if you'd like to enjoy a day of silence and MF photography, spend a
saturday or sunday in La Défense (La Défense - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
It is the business district and not too many tourists go there (and if so, they take a picture of the Grand Arch and go back to the city).

You'll find everything from modern architecture to 70th's style buildings.
A shift lens would be good here.

Enjoy your trip,
Ralf

aeaemd

I really appreciate all the responses. They are very helpful. Keep them coming :)
It seems less is better (relatively speaking). I will

Amr

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
As a instructor of workshops i can tell you without a doubt less is better. Graham and Amr excluded here but the issue becomes your so focused on the gear that your spending way to much time doing the tech stuff than the art. The weight, bulk and worrying about what to use and not to use sometimes is just way over folks head. It also becomes a big issue with2 or more systems . Say a MF, Nikon or Leica system along for the ride. Than you start questioning which to use or try to get it with both.

In all honesty as i have seen it so many times the key is less is better. For MF shooters with like a DF you may only want 3 or 4 lenses tops and call it a day. Tech cam again 3 lenses is mostly what you will use. Sometimes trying to have the Tech cam and the Df and share the back is also a nightmare. Than you have your back floating in the wind between systems.

EVERY job i do, I analyze exactly what i need to do and what would be the best tool. I gather all that and make a primary bag of that gear. Than i may have a second bag of secondary gear and throw that in the trunk and if I need something beyond the primary its close by. Now for travel think a small roller bag to transport gear, than a small shoulder bag for the daily outings and maybe leave some gear in the hotel safe in your room. I do this a lot is take a pretty good size kit but knock it down for the day ahead and put in small shoulder type bag. Which usually is a bag that folds good to put in main luggage with cloths. This way if you really really need something than its in your hotel room and not 6k miles away.

But really less is better and i can almost guarantee you that you will get better images every time. Don't burden yourself physically or mentally.