The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium format travel photography.

Shashin

For film, the ideal travel system I had was:

Mamiya 6 with 75mm
Horseman SW612 with 55mm

Now I have gone digital, I do this:

Pentax 645D with 35mm, 55mm, and 120mm lenses
Sony RX-1

All that space I save on not having to carry film gets me a few more optics.

aeaemd

When I travel to europe I take the nikon 800e and medium format gear. However, when i get out I take a camera and a couple of lenses depending on the time of the day and what I am doing. If it is midday and sunny, I take my infra red backs with cambo or techno, if going to museum, D800e would be my choice for the low light performance, for night photography, Nikon and 45+. So, ALthough I take a lot of gear to europe, I only take alight weight walking around..

hcubell

It is a real dilemma as to what to bring when you are travelling and have multiple camera systems. I am travelling to Sicily tomorrow and decided to bring 4 systems. I will have a Hassy H2 with an IQ180 and a full complement of H lenses that I will keep in the car for setups within 100 yards of the car. I will have a Nikon D800E for photos within 1,000 yards of the car. I will have a Sony Nex-7 with a 28-200 zoom for longer hikes in the countryside. Finally, I will have a Sigma DP2 Merrill for walking around in towns. I hope I am covered.
(Just kidding. I decided to take the Nikon D800E and the Sony Nex-7. The Hassy H2/IQ180 is too limiting compared to the D800E for a trip that is not a "dedicated" photography trip. Perhaps I will regret it.)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Howard

You are now an honorary member of the Amr & Graham 'lightweight' MF travel club! I like how you think :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It is a real dilemma as to what to bring when you are travelling and have multiple camera systems. I am travelling to Sicily tomorrow and decided to bring 4 systems. I will have a Hassy H2 with an IQ180 and a full complement of H lenses that I will keep in the car for setups within 100 yards of the car. I will have a Nikon D800E for photos within 1,000 yards of the car. I will have a Sony Nex-7 with a 28-200 zoom for longer hikes in the countryside. Finally, I will have a Sigma DP2 Merrill for walking around in towns. I hope I am covered.
Be aware that break-ins in parked cars is a big problem in southern Europe, particularly during the summer season. Apart from that... 4 systems? That must be some kind of record, no?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
no :grin:
(not me btw, I think my record is merely four but I know someone else ... )
I should have guessed :loco:

I take the GX680 for a trip now and then, but it's rather bulky. Heavy too, particularly when travelling on a 125cc motorbike on rural dirt roads. So I'm planning to buy an Hy6 for travel, if my wallet can swing it... we'll see.

Here's one from last year, the local luxury restaurant in Banteay Chhmar.

GX680 IIIs with 65mm and Fuji Acros 100

aeaemd

If you have three days to shoot in Europe, where would you go?!!!
I am looking for a european destination for thanksgiving..
I am thinking brussels, but, I am open to change.

Mammy645

If you have three days to shoot in Europe, where would you go?!!!
I am looking for a european destination for thanksgiving..
I am thinking brussels, but, I am open to change.
I'd probably go to Barcelona, or maybe Rome. Both are way more interesting than Brussels.

OliverM

If in Brussels for 3 days, you can go to Gent and Brugges easily by train (1 hour). Brussels is a great place to live in, but apart from the Grand Place, not so many spectacular scenes. Gent and Brugges are worth the travel.
Otherwise 1h30 to reach Paris with the high speed train.
Low cost airways within Europe : Ryanair, you can reach other locations that might be less rainy in november, but you loose half a day every time you take a plane ...

jagsiva

Amr,

The landscape and architecture in and around Stockholm would definitely benefit from the Cambo/Leaf kit. I'm there a couple of times a month and I need to take my camera there more often.

As for other spots in Europe, I think Rome, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Prague, London are all great cities. For landscapes, nothing beats anything hugging the coast in Scotland and Ireland.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It doesn't really matter. There's great subject matter everywhere. But since you ask, and I'm in a country that is a bit too hot, I would choose a place that is a bit too cold, like Scotland, the Hebrides.

tsjanik

It doesn't really matter. There's great subject matter everywhere. But since you ask, and I'm in a country that is a bit too hot, I would choose a place that is a bit too cold, like Scotland, the Hebrides.
I agree on both points, although a temperature of just right with requisite low humidity is terrific.

aeaemd

Hi All,
I am going to amsterdam and brussels (and around) from sept 19-25, if anybody in that vicinity and interested to go shoot, let me know.

Amr