The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax lens ? Hassy adapter to use on Pentax 645D ?

proenca

Hi there,

I'm pretty much dissapointed with my Leica 0.95 ASPH Noctilux.

Its a great lens but... miss bags of caracter.

Although the same size and pretty much same weight, I dont like the way it handles on my M9.

That and I want to move to MF Digital : I want to try it. There, I said it.

Have to buy it used and have a few moves at the moment that I would like your guys idea :

- Pentax 645D, best bang for the buck, complete system, waterproof, quite recent ( for my intended budget, which is a trade in for my Nocti ) but... I'm not very familiar with the Pentax lens and I dont see anything that "pops". I'm searching and searching on the internet and seeing pictures, but not seeing any special bokehs, no dreaming oof, no razor sharpness. In theory its a great system, with good old manual focus lens ( I love manual ) but.. I just dont see it. Any ideias where to start looking ?

- Leaf Aptus 75 + Contax 645 : Zeiss lens I dream of. Contax is superb. Aptus 75 a nice back (albeit a bit on the old side) but the Contax Zeiss lens do make up for it. I cant stop looking everywhere for the 80 f2 samples, almost all of them are simply drop dead gorgeous

- Hasselblad V + digital back : bit out of my reach, searching everyday for a good deal on the UK photoshops. I love Hassy V system and its lens

- other option : is it possible ( with good results ) to have Hassie V lens via an adaptor for a Pentax 645D ? Apart from hyperfocal ? Can we see focusing clear on the viewfinder ? Accurate ?

if someone in europe wants to trade in a MF Digital system for a Noctilux 0.95 as new, let me know. I'll fly and do the switch.

Best regards,

Goncalo Proenca

SYGTAFOTO

I have Pentax 645D and it is indeed the best bang for the buck system. I'm not quite sure what you mean by special bokeh but I have no complaints. I don't really have any complaints on sharpness either. Pentax has some very good lenses to choose from.

I have put my 645D setup for sale before and still tinkering around that idea but it is not due to its inferiorities.

bensonga

I'm not sure any MF system will give you the results of a noctilux, but some Pentax lenses have really nice bokeh. 67 90mm f/2.8, 645D:
Very nice image! And that P67 90/2.8 is a very inexpensive lens. I love those P67 lenses on a 645 format camera. Just wish I had a 645D to put them on.

Gary
P67II and 645NII

D&A

Tom, lovely Image!

Goncalo, I echo what others have mentioned regarding the versatility and performance of the 645D system. There are many excellent lenses and I think I know what you are looking for. I suspect close up work with the superb 120 f4 macro will provide some of the "look" you are hoping for, although that lens is not known for having the loveliest bokeh. The pentax 150mm f2.8 does though, especially for portrait work. One of the issues comparing the 0.95 Noct, which I am familar with, is that even though medium format digital has a narrower depth of field, it often can't compete with the extremely shallow depth that the Noct provides. There is a new Pentax 90mm f2.8 645 lens due to be released that is supposed to also be designed with both portrait and close-ups in mind with a nod towards how it reproduces OOF areas.

Below is a link to my conprehesive lens test with most AF Pentax 645 lenses as tested on the 645D. It does though omit both the A* 600 f5.6 645 lens (which I tested) as well as the relatively new 25mm f4 645 lens. To calculate the approx 35mm FOV of these 645 lenses on the 645D body, simply multiply the focal length of the 645 lens by 0.8

Dave (D&A)

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/mediu...observations-pentax-645-lenses-used-645d.html

proenca

I have Pentax 645D and it is indeed the best bang for the buck system. I'm not quite sure what you mean by special bokeh but I have no complaints. I don't really have any complaints on sharpness either. Pentax has some very good lenses to choose from.

I have put my 645D setup for sale before and still tinkering around that idea but it is not due to its inferiorities.
Thanks for your comments. 645D is a very nice package but... it doesnt "tick me".

Cant really explain why : sensor is good, camera is well laid out and miles ahead of other MF offerings with weather seals, decent iso, nice AF, etc but... I dont know. I just dont have an emotional connection with the camera. stupid ? perhaps and likely so.

but thats the reason I own Leicas : they focus poorly, they have lots of quirks..erm...personality, but in my brain they are perfect.

And Contax645 does that for me. Hasselblad to an extent. Pentax not really.

Back in my days of owning a 645NII I used my Hasselblad lenses on it via an adapter. It worked well.
Humm.. interesting ! thanks !

I'm not sure any MF system will give you the results of a noctilux, but some Pentax lenses have really nice bokeh. 67 90mm f/2.8, 645D:

_IGP2322 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
Great image !

Noctilux ( and specially the 0.95 ) produces great images and I've owned all the three Nocti's. But they ( vs MF ) miss that 3D "pop" that only MF can give.

Yes Leica lens are superb in 35mm world. But MF is another league, due to optics and sensor size. Otherwise a H4D40 would be worth 3k now since the D800 is upon us and so on. I simply like the slower movement and pace with the associated quality it brings, in MF

Tom, lovely Image!

Goncalo, I echo what others have mentioned regarding the versatility and performance of the 645D system. There are many excellent lenses and I think I know what you are looking for. I suspect close up work with the superb 120 f4 macro will provide some of the "look" you are hoping for, although that lens is not known for having the loveliest bokeh. The pentax 150mm f2.8 does though, especially for portrait work. One of the issues comparing the 0.95 Noct, which I am familar with, is that even though medium format digital has a narrower depth of field, it often can't compete with the extremely shallow depth that the Noct provides. There is a new Pentax 90mm f2.8 645 lens due to be released that is supposed to also be designed with both portrait and close-ups in mind with a nod towards how it reproduces OOF areas.

Below is a link to my conprehesive lens test with most AF Pentax 645 lenses as tested on the 645D. It does though omit both the A* 600 f5.6 645 lens (which I tested) as well as the relatively new 25mm f4 645 lens. To calculate the approx 35mm FOV of these 645 lenses on the 645D body, simply multiply the focal length of the 645 lens by 0.8

Dave (D&A)

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/mediu...observations-pentax-645-lenses-used-645d.html
Dave, really thanks for your detailed answer.

As I explained to Scott, my problem with Pentax is twofold :

- no "txarammm" with the brand. Its just.. well Pentax. I know all the history and their legacy but.. I just dont get along with it. Its purely emotional.

- the lenses. some brands have lens that I just fell in love. #1 is Contax 6x45. They are just magnificient. They "pop" . Colour is terrific. 3D effect is all over the place ( in a good way ) and they are sharp with dreamy bokeh. #2 is Hasselblad but too many horror stories in Portugal with Hasselblad rep's. I like Hasselblad lens ( who doesnt drool about that 100 f2 ? ) but not all have the same magic. I like lens with character. My prefered Leica lens are vintage, pre asph ones. Full of flaws but sharp , and dreamy bokehs. We live in an imperfect world. I like to see it imperfectly.

Also, thank you for your link, SUPER informative and I will read it more carefully when I get out of work :) and seach for images on the lens you said. Maybe I will fall in love with one and dip into the 645D mania :)

D&A

Hi Goncalo,

I agree that it's important to make an emotional connection to the equipment one uses and I have a very good idea what you are looking for in lenses and their output. One of the best ways to determine if a system and it's lenses are what one is looking for, is to actually shoot with them. I realize this is not always easy to do, especially with MFD. This is especially so with the Pentax 645D as it's not as easily found for rental as other systems. The Pentax 645 lenses are slower in terms of f stops speed and generally require stopping down, so wide open shooting is less often done with them vs. Say the Leica S2 lenses. Still when one considers the low price point that some of these lenses can be picked up for and their respectable to excellent performance, it's both a tempting system to use, a great value and performance can be exceptionally good. I am familiar with the look of many of the Contax 645 lenses and Pentax does have a different look and esthetic. There is something appealing about an image that has both high quality optical performance but at the same time draws an image in a way that contributes to the visceral nature of the subject being photographed.

Dave (D&A)