The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MFDB White Balance and Polarizers

MikeHlop

Most if not all DB are lacking any automatic WB settings. We have 2 options - use presets or shoot a grey card. Recently I had a photo session, using Lee square linear polarizing filter and all shots come up with quite a greenish cast though I took a capture of grey card before, to set a custom white balance

So, the question is, what custom WB technique do you use when shooting with filters? Would it be a right way to setup polarizer and then take a custom WB shot?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So, the question is, what custom WB technique do you use when shooting with filters? Would it be a right way to setup polarizer and then take a custom WB shot?
Yes, WB should be taken/made with any filters you'll be using for the final shot.

goesbang

If you are doing anything colour-critical, you should be shooting a grey target for a custom balance. It's just good work practice.
Every polarizer I have ever measured with a transmission densitometer (pretty much all the major brands) have a measurable cast. Most have a green cast, but I have measured a couple with slight red and also magenta casts. In most cases, the cast is very slight, but quite distinct in some cases. Price does not seem to be a factor as some of the dearest are the worst.
If you shoot a grey target through the filter you are using and set your grey balance from that, then none of this matters.