The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7 - It's doubled my MPixels!

Despite crashing my machine a few times - bugs don't seem to have been entirely ironed out - the new C1 is doing amazing things with my raw files. I was thinking of upgrading my P45+ to a P65 but, frankly, C1 has done it for me - the files are spectacularly more detailed. The images look like they have at least half as much detail again, perhaps double. Colours and noise are both significantly improved too.

No, I couldn't believe it either - check for yourselves!

Leaves me with a major problem of course: now I'm thinking I'll have to go back and reprocess thousands of old images to get the best out of them...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Despite crashing my machine a few times - bugs don't seem to have been entirely ironed out - the new C1 is doing amazing things with my raw files. I was thinking of upgrading my P45+ to a P65 but, frankly, C1 has done it for me - the files are spectacularly more detailed. The images look like they have at least half as much detail again, perhaps double. Colours and noise are both significantly improved too.

No, I couldn't believe it either - check for yourselves!

Leaves me with a major problem of course: now I'm thinking I'll have to go back and reprocess thousands of old images to get the best out of them...
Yeah, that is a downside :ROTFL:
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Going back is not going to be fun but I totally agree. Any cam you shot or have on hand now is a big improvement.

jagsiva

Over the years, there have been lots of debates on whether the overhead of shooting RAW was worth the overhead. Of course in the MFDB world, RAW is the only option. I have personally always shot RAW and started using C1 in version 2 or 3.

I remember Reichmann making the case for RAW a few years ago that it would allow for re-processing of images down the road as software technology moved forward. C1 7 certainly validates this.

jlm

Workshop Member
I have found in v6 that images always appear sharper in PS than C1, maybe a v7 viewer improvement

6x7

crashing or slowing down the computer to the point it's just not workable any more may be one point which surely will be sorted out in the next upgrades or fixed with the purchase of faster hardware, but not being able to look at the old raw's like you adjusted them is a absolute deal breaker. really.. I'm not amused…
you must stay with both versions on the machine if you want to look at the old files the way you intended it. (wich is not a good idea) it's like using a complete new software which is not compatible…

there's no way you go picking up every older pre v7-file and having it reprocessed completely because the look is destroyed by the new software version…. let alone you have to review entire jobs for some reason. hope this get's sorted out as fast as possible… no one else noticing this ??? I mean that's the main point with v7…
the quality on the other side is really great !

gazwas

there's no way you go picking up every older pre v7-file and having it reprocessed completely because the look is destroyed by the new software version….
I don't think it should be expected for images precessed in V6 to look the same after the upgrade to V7 because they use a totally different rendering engines. How you could expect Phase to produce like for like conversions when you consider all the possible variables involved with each RAW adjustment.

The crashing is annoying though. I have days when it only crashes a couple of times, others it just won't work at all. :angry:

DeckardTrinity

Hold on folks - FUD alert here.

I think what 6x7 is concerned about is whether or not v6 files will render correctly in their unmodified state in v7. If I'm mistaken I apologize, but that's how I read the post.

I know in Aperture whenever Apple upgrades the RAW processing algorithm that you are given a choice as to whether or not you want to upgrade all of the images currently in the Aperture library to the new RAW engine, or leave them as-is. If you leave them alone, they will still render with the old RAW engine, but you still have the option in the future to upgrade any particular image to the new. Is this not how it works in C1?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
C1-7 contains both the new 7 and old 6 processing engines, so YES it will render old files as you originally processed them. HOWEVER, once you re-render with the new 7 engine, you cannot revert to the V6 state inside C1-7. For that you need to have an installation of C1-6 on your computer and then reprocess it there.

gazwas

I think what 6x7 is concerned about is whether or not v6 files will render correctly in their unmodified state in v7. If I'm mistaken I apologize, but that's how I read the post.
Like Jack said, V6 RAW files in V7 software use the old V6 rendering engine until you opt to upgrade the engine. Without upgrading the engine, V6 RAW files/sessions look and behave the same in V7 as they did in V6.

6x7

thank you deckartTrinity. that's exactly what I was trying to say. I want to look at the files in v7 like I left them in v6, and then decide to mabe clone and readjust/reprocess with the v7 engine if I need for whatever reason.

at the current state just opening up v7 and clicking a completely "virgin" v6 adjusted file will lead to a completely different look depending on what you did with it in v6. it also processes completely different. it is most obvious with b&w adjusted pictures where contrast and shadow is so badly applied that a picture can go almost entirely black in the shadows and completely overblown in the mids/heights. it has nothing to do with the original picture…

think at all the hundreds of hours spent on tweaking out certain styles for certain pictures… just gone if you decide to stay with v7… (at the current state)

it's like you spent years of writing a book and at some point someone just changes the syntax/nuances of your text… (it's a nightmare)

YES Jack… v7 contains the new 7 and the old 6 processing engine.
NO Jack, :) it will not display/render the old file like you adjusted it on the v6 engine. (at least not on my computer…)

(hope I got it right now because I'm not a native english speaker)

just go back to an old folder where you adjusted a file to B&W and tell me if it looks like you have it in mind. it is definitely like night and day… or just open both versions and look at the same file simultaneously.

paul

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
at the current state just opening up v7 and clicking a completely "virgin" v6 adjusted file will lead to a completely different look depending on what you did with it in v6. it also processes completely different. it is most obvious with b&w adjusted pictures where contrast and shadow is so badly applied that a picture can go almost entirely black in the shadows and completely overblown in the mids/heights. it has nothing to do with the original picture…

[...]

YES Jack… v7 contains the new 7 and the old 6 processing engine.
NO Jack, :) it will not display/render the old file like you adjusted it on the v6 engine. (at least not on my computer…)
Hi Paul:
- good news: this is not the way a properly functioning installation of v7 works
- bad news: I can't explain why this is happening on your system. I'd suggest a clean install (removing the extra app support and pref files) and if it persists start a support case.

When a properly functioning v7 installation looks at an image that was adjusted in v6 it will be rendered effectively identically to the way v6 rendered it. ONLY when you push the "upgrade to v7" does it change, in accordance to the new math available in v7.

Jack: you in fact CAN revert an image that was upgraded to v7 back to the math of v6. Change preferences: default rendering to v6 and then create a "new variant" and (if desired) copy and apply the v7 upgraded settings to the v6 image (e.g. crop/rotation etc). This won't be a popularly used work around though given how universally better the v7 math is than the v6 math.

6x7

thank you doug,

I swiched back and forth with "superclean" installs and unfortunately with no result. will wait for 7.1 or whatever version. I was just curious if someone else experienced the same habits in v7 and if there's a fix for this problem. I have already heard from a collegue experiencing the same problem on different machines.

thanks for the replys.

PeterL

Under OSX 10.8.2 - things look perfectly fine for me. Older files processed in v.6 look the same when viewed in v.7 (no changes to engine or anything, just opening the old session). In other words, I can not see the problem 6x7 is reporting. When the engine is changed to v.7 the files do look different, and the settings need updating to get the optimal image. Maybe a Windows/PC issue as Lars alludes to...?

Cheers, -Peter

Lars

Oh, I'm just wondering what level of stability to expect under Windows, I'm not a past C1 user - downloading the trial now.

I just moved from ACR to C1 7.

I'm reprocessing some of my favourite old images and I'm having fun.
The result are quite different and it is driving me to change my processing style.

I have one question for experts on C1:

I used to be able to open any file with ACR, process it and get a sidecar XMP, so I didn't need to create sessions to have the correlation with the files i was processing.
Could I get this sort of behaviour with C1?

Is confusing which one is the folder holds the correlation of the processing data and how to make it work if I have to move a file or something.

I have watch all the training videos but this subject is not explain further than creating sessions or catalogs.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes, in the capture folder (wherever you imported your image to) there will be a subfolder titled "CaptureOne." Inside that are a few more subfolders, you want the one titled "Settings70." An easier way is to simply use the "Pack as EIP" option which loads all of your adjustments and any masks and LCCs all into one file with the image, and any other C1 user can open just as you processed it.