Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: From Alpa TC to SWA or STC ?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: From Alpa TC to SWA or STC ?

I think that a really useable live view MFDB will be a game changer for cameras like the FPS. Having the ability to use so many different lens system glass with the FPS and actually more easily compose and focus via the MFDB really revolutionizes the platform and I'm sure that's what Alpa are planning for - a relatively future proof camera (well, as future proof as anything in this business at least).

Can you imagine what would happen if we had live view from the MFDB to an external EVF as well? Ok, I'll stop salivating right now ...
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My question may be dumb, I thought I must use a "wake-up" cable with Phase One back, I'm using P25+. What "regular cable" and "sync-cable" are you referring? Can you show me the set up?

Much appreciate your sharing in advance.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Well, I've had both the KG and Alpa cable releases. The KG is sensitive to the speed that you press the release and there's a temptation to apply too much pressure during the press to ensure that the pulse triggers only once. If you do this then after a while the cheap cable release part will fail and you have to replace it.

With the Alpa the construction is superb but one thing I found was that they are sensitive to the direction of the actual release unit. When the unit is aligned so that the trigger cable is in front, vs at 90 degrees, to the shutter then it is 100% reliable in my experience. If you let it swivel to the side then it becomes more sensitive to double triggers to the back which I suspect is what Narkin is referring to. That's annoying because it'll cause a double trigger fault on the back and you have to cancel and re-shoot. This happens with the KG also if you aren't deliberately smooth in pressing the cable release too.

The advantage of the Alpa is that you can use it without the cable adapter and hence handheld shooting is possible.

Is the Alpa cable trigger worth nearly $1000? Not really but then again neither are 2x KG triggers after you've had one completely fail or fall to pieces. I do use mine most of the time but if I'm changing lenses a few times then I just go with zero latency and use a regular cable & sync cable. I have ten batteries so it's hardly a problem of not having power (it's funny how many you accumulate when you've upgraded backs a few times!).

Hope that helps.
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ray,

This might help show what I was referring to:
    ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - ALPA Sync Release

The Alpa release body fits on the shutter and presses the shutter release. It has a cable that attaches to the shutter release, the flash sync port on the shutter and also the sync port on the digital back. This assembly will wake and trigger the P25+ to take a shot without the need for a double shutter release or a secondary release button.

With the P25+ you always need to wake up the back some how before each shot. With a Leaf back, or IQ/Credo in zero latency mode, you don't need to wake the back and so you can use a standard cable release that screws in to the shutter and a normal sync cable that goes between the flash sync port to the port on the digital back.

If I have a chance today I'll take a couple of pictures of it on my Alpa to show the two alternative approaches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And the Kapture Group cable is here: Phase One digital back adapter solutions

It screws into the shutter release, and plugs into the lens sync port and the back. A push on the cable release sends the wake-up signal to the back, and activates the shutter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can't make up my flippin mind what body to use . SWA or TC . No shift required and also not needed .
    For an architectural project I need to shoot some handheld images , because using a tripod would be very unhandy and would take too much time .
    I will be using the HR-DIGARON-S 4,5/28mm and the HR-DIGARON-W 4/40mm . There is good daylight allowing exposure times from 1/60 , 1/125 or even 1/250 at f8 and f11 .
    My SWA has the wakeup button in the left handgrip and for the TC I have the ALPA sync solution cable . So handling the wakeup for the digital back is no problem . I would be using the ALPA viewfinder with the correct mask and also the handstrap . No bellow lens shade but the ALPA PLS 70-75 .
    But I have almost no experience shooting handheld , as I do most work from the tripod .
    Which body is better for handheld and will I receive sharp images with the mentioned shutter times and lenses .
    How do you do LCC when shooting handheld ? ? ?
    What is your experience and what could you recommend ? ? ?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do you have the right side hand grip for the TC? I find that this helps with usability when shooting without a tripod and with the Alpa cable release. I can cradle the lens/base with my left hand and hold the body with the right grip. That gives you easy access to the shutter release too.

I initially had the small right hand grip but that wasn't comfortable for me. I transitioned to the larger rosewood grip (it has the slider lock for the lens lock) and this fits my hands perfectly.

I don't own the SWA although I have handled one a few times. The dual handles certainly do make it pretty stable for handheld use. That said it was heavier.

I have my TC for handheld use with my 35 /47 lenses and P25+ / film back. The majority of the time though I use it as the permanent home for my 23HR and shooting with the IQ160 since I don't need the movements of my STC with that lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jurgen,

I haven't done it, but couldn't you use a square filter holder to hold a (perhaps modified) LCC card? It seems that holding the card by hand when you're hand holding the camera would be a problem.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham and Steve

Yes , I have the right side rosewood grip with the safety latch and have just mounted the ALPA handstrap . That combo + the ALPA sync release feels good and save in my hands .
    The SWA is very good to handle as well and is very stable as you can use two hands to hold the camera . But you need your left index finger for the wakeup button and your right index finger for the sync device and shutter release . That is not very handy when you still want to hold a LCC card .
    Yes indeed that turns out be be very difficult but not so much when using the TC .
    I still wonder what shutter times I can use with the HR28mm lens to be on the safe side .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Graham and Steve

Yes , I have the right side rosewood grip with the safety latch and have just mounted the ALPA handstrap . That combo + the ALPA sync release feels good and save in my hands .
    The SWA is very good to handle as well and is very stable as you can use two hands to hold the camera . But you need your left index finger for the wakeup button and your right index finger for the sync device and shutter release . That is not very handy when you still want to hold a LCC card .
    Yes indeed that turns out be be very difficult but not so much when using the TC .
    I still wonder what shutter times I can use with the HR28mm lens to be on the safe side .
    Gently reviving this since I am going to jump into the inferno....
    Why would one want an Alpa WA (not SWA) instead of an SWA or a TC?
    What does the WA offer apart from looks?
    Can one not attach two rosewoods to the TC to give a similar profile or balance?

Thanks !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by satybhat View Post
    It is designed for wide angle lenses without shift and is heftier than a TC.

It is a SWA without shift, so I guess it just looks good. I was looking to purchase a used one, but could not find one for sale. I was buying it for my SK28xl making it my Hasselblad SWC with a digital back. I ended up buying a TC with a black soft handle and I like it. I use it more than my Max in the studio when I do not need movements.

Can one not attach two rosewoods to the TC to give a similar profile or balance?
    Thanks !!!
    Here is a picture of what a TC + two handles looks like (do not know if it comes in Rosewood):

"Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks !!!
    I would pick the SWA over the WA for even better looks

Even if you shoot with lenses without shift capability, you would never know whether you would add more lenses in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally if I were looking at the SWA, beautiful as it is as a work of art, I'd take a step back and consider what I wanted in terms of shifting capabilities. Then, I'd buy an STC ...

With respect to the dual hand grips, nice to have but unless you are walking around shooting handheld as if holding an old speed graphic press camera, I would question how necessary they are. If you have a single right side hand grip and cradle the lens in your left hand you can achieve pretty much a solid grip on the camera to shoot handheld. I've certainly done this before with my TC as a walk around package and it worked fine.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The biggest disadvantage to an otherwise spectacular camera, the Hasselblad SWC, is the lack of rise/fall.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who loved the Hassie SWC as a walk-around camera, I've now moved happily to the STC. I thought long and hard about which Alpa, and finally took some advice from a long time professional user. I think the STC is the best balance between movements and portability. Better movement capability than the SWA but more portable than the Max.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post