Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: From Alpa TC to SWA or STC ?

Post Thanks / Like

From Alpa TC to SWA or STC ?

Hello,

I am evaluating to move from the Alpa 12 TC to either the SWA or the STC for the shift possibility.

I use it mainly in travel, 60% handheld and 40% on a tripod.

Would you recommend to move to the SWA or the STC ?
    -> how do the SWA handle compared to the TC : are the extra weight and size any issue (can you walk 2-3 hours with the SWA+MFDB around the neck ?), do the two handgrips of the SWA improve the comfort and stability ?
    -> how do the SWA and STC compare in terms of handling ? The STC, by its name, should be much smaller than the SWA, but doesn't look so (different proportions only ?)
    -> are the shift capabilities significantly better with the STC ? (looks more usable for down shift and stitch)

I find the look of the SWA so great that I hope you will tell me that is is a good choice ;-)

Many thanks for your feed-back.
    Oliver

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: From Alpa TC to SWA or STC ?

Actually the STC is the better stitching cam over the SWA. The SWA is set normally for rise and fall, so to stitch you need to flip it sideways. THe STC is setup for horizontal movements so a much easier stitching cam. Plus you can use the movements side to side faster because it has a release knob. Alpa users can tell you better as I was more a Cambo and Arca guy but this is what I remember on the Alpa.

The SWA you can stitch but its not its natural setup.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The SWA you can stitch but its not its natural setup.
    Thank you Guy, this is what I thought according to the pictures.
    For the time being, I am more interested in rise & fall possibilities, but if the only advantage of the SWA is its look, the reason would tell to take the STC ...

Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Honestly I used rise and fall on almost every shot with a tech cam. I did not stitch too often but on a Cambo its much easier since you can do both at the same time. I think you need a Alpa Max to do that but there are some attachments they have as well. Graham and David shoot the Alpas so they can weigh in better on that.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

The STC is more versatile with quick setup for both rise/fall and stitching, especially with quickplates in both horizontal and vertical position. If I was to choose between SWA and STC and only have one Alpa body with movements, I would go for the STC.

However, if you have a lens/sensor combination that allows for bigger movement than the 18mm limit on the STC, then it comes in handy with the 25mm movement on the SWA. Furthermore, if you like handheld shooting, the SWA is more comfortable with the double ergonomic handles and excellent balance. I am shooting down to 1/60 with the 35XL with solid results, at 1/30 it is a 50/50 chance but definitely possible (handheld it needs to be zero latency so you don't fiddle with two buttons). The SWA also has the 'looks' to die for.....

Important though, if you want to do stitching at some point, you will kick yourself not choosing the STC, yes it is possible with SWA but so much quicker with STC. So, it really comes down to shootingstyle and preference.

I would say that both are equal around your neck.
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both,

Hmm, that's what I feared : right brain for the STC and left brain for the SWA ...

I think I often shoot 1/30 handheld with the TC, but not with a higher success rate than yours. I would like to move to an Aptus II-10 or a P65+, that will be a mid-term step, but indeed the latency should be considered, I had forgotten this.

Well, I think I could follow my left brain if I see a nice SWA with rosewood grips at a good price ... I will tell my right brain that the handgrips and the rise are the features that I need in 80% of the cases.

Many thanks for your input ! It really helps.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I too am a cambo user and find rise/fall indispensable. I do pano's rather than shifts and work off a tripod.
    if you are handholding, I doubt if you need the shifts and rise/fall will be hit or miss, so for handholding, keep the TC, such a cute little thing. if you are on a tripod for rise/fall anyway, not as much need for the ergonomics of the SWA, so go STC for the versatility

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Something else to consider with the SWA vs STC is that the STC has shift / rise from a central position of 18mm - i.e. left/right or up/down depending upon the orientation of the camera. With the SWA you have 25mm or so of front rise and so if you want fall you have to invert the camera body or swap the lens/back on the body.

If you truly want to stitch left/right with the option of flipping the camera for rise/fall then the STC is definitely the more flexible.

When I've got my Alpa flipped on it's side for rise / fall I often wish I had the SWA instead - UNLESS I had to shoot with fall and had to flip the whole thing. Like Guy, I very often use rise/fall perhaps more than shifts for panos these days.

Either is relatively small and compact. If I were shooting handheld a lot then the SWA would appeal more to me than the STC. I have a TC just for this type of use actually. As John mentioned, it's such a small package that you'd want to keep it.

This is what my STC looks like with rise/fall most of the time. In this case rear fall to shoot the trees straight and jump the fence.

Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, the STC is just so darn versatile for its size. For the 40% on a tripod, would you mainly do rise? If so then the SWA might be the best option.

Ciao,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

The opinions converge ...
    I note the difficulty to rise when handheld.
    Also if I want to go further with a movement camera, I am concious it makes sense for carefully composed pictures on a tripod.
    I will think further about your ideas ok combining the TC and STC, then.
    Thank you, it helps me a lot.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    As others have said, the STC is just so darn versatile for its size. For the 40% on a tripod, would you mainly do rise? If so then the SWA might be the best option.

Ciao,
    Dave
    I think rise would be the most frequent operation, indeed.
    But I must consider the overall opinion of versatility.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OliverM View Post
    I note the difficulty to rise when handheld.
    I beg to differ. In an urban setting walking about with the SWA & 35XL over my shoulder I tend to have around 5mm rise as default. Keeping a constant eye on spiritlevels in both directions gives me in general a good compromise in keeping buildings straight and still loosing the very first and often uninteresting metres of asfalt. Unless you want Leica style shooting and put angles to every shot
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Given that this is GetDPI the obvious solution is to follow Jurgen's example and have a TC, STC and a SWA!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And don't forget the second bodies for backup...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    I beg to differ. In an urban setting walking about with the SWA & 35XL over my shoulder I tend to have around 5mm rise as default. Keeping a constant eye on spiritlevels in both directions gives me in general a good compromise in keeping buildings straight and still loosing the very first and often uninteresting metres of asfalt. Unless you want Leica style shooting and put angles to every shot
    Strike !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"TC, STC and a SWA." Or a TC and a Max.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Given that this is GetDPI the obvious solution is to follow Jurgen's example and have a TC, STC and a SWA!
    Exactly my conclusion !
    I shouldn't have asked

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is Dante's inferno you know . Lol

My night job is sharpening those horns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "TC, STC and a SWA." Or a TC and a Max.
    Let me add the following :

"TC , STC , SWA and MAX" . I love them all .

Currently , the TC is my preferred baby .
    I am still not used to that little thing but have noticed , that I would like to put it in my trouser pocket , but can't .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry , my last post might be misleading .
    I have no ALPA MAX and will NOT go for one . That is for sure .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Sorry , my last post might be misleading .
    I have no ALPA MAX and will NOT go for one . That is for sure .
    If I had a dollar.....
    www.rgaphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wink Re: From Alpa TC to SWA or STC ?

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    If I had a dollar.....
    Hee Hee - SO true, especially here ...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using TC, STC & SWA. Agree with Dan, Graham above. The SWA 2 grips design is a real classic look and absolutely helpful if u like shooting handheld a lot. 25mm upward shift is lot more than 18mm and if u do a lot upward shift, SWA would be a better choice. Weight, very similar. Size, also very similar.
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyen View Post
    I'm using TC, STC & SWA. Agree with Dan, Graham above. The SWA 2 grips design is a real classic look and absolutely helpful if u like shooting handheld a lot. 25mm upward shift is lot more than 18mm and if u do a lot upward shift, SWA would be a better choice. Weight, very similar. Size, also very similar.
    Thank you all for your great input.

I took many pictures handheld with the TC which do not have the technical perfection that the camera is capable of when mounted on a tripod, but which have still the unique tones that the lenses and back are capable of, and that I like better than any DSLR.

I am less and less interested in multiplying the number of pictures with a convenient and versatile DSLR, I prefer 1 very nice picture than 10 very decent ones. I still have one dslr (2 btw), but use it when the back really doesn't work (low light, zoom).

I think I should use upward shift mainly, and was particularly interested in Dan's comment that a +5mm shift is his standard when walking in the streets.
    I don't have the experience to evaluate if I would need the extra 7 mm shift capability of the SWA, just I don't like architecture shots with too much shift to keep vertical lines.

The TC with the back is already a bit heavy around the neck, I have the impression that the extra weight of the SWA could be partially compensated by its wider shape (?).
    I also try to use the tripod more and more (excellent RRS TVC-24, mall and light) and it is convenient to keep the camera mounted when walking. Then the extra weight of the swa could be a pain.

One last question to you ray, who have the TC, SWA and STC (!) : as you have those 3, I assume you also want to optimize weight, size and capabilities ... if you had to keep only one between the TC and the SWA, which one would it be ?

Kind regards
    Oliver

Post Thanks / Like

If I had to pick one, definitely SWA, even I like go hiking with my TC, you know when you go hiking, you want to keep your bag as light as possible. SWA is just too beautiful and hard to resists of not having one if you love ALPA... ;p

I'd say a TC and SWA is a very good pair, or TC & STC.

Just don't sell your TC, it's a fantastic little gem.
    www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, this is the answer I was dreaming to read ...

So I will buy a SWA and play with it before selling the TC (I have to sell some gear much before that one, but I don't like selling ...).

Many thanks !

Post Thanks / Like

Oliver,
    Just saw that your location says Paris. Prophot Paris has a demo SWA right now thats priced quite well. I was going to buy it but decided on a max instead. If you are not familiar with Prophot, the address is 103 Blvd Beaumarchais. Go speak with Olivier.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortpballer View Post
    Oliver,
    Just saw that your location says Paris. Prophot Paris has a demo SWA right now thats priced quite well. I was going to buy it but decided on a max instead. If you are not familiar with Prophot, the address is 103 Blvd Beaumarchais. Go speak with Olivier.

Eric
    Thank you for the info Eric !
    Btw, the funny thing is I was just looking to your sale of alpa lenses ... if I move to a SWA, I will have to replace my Alpar 35mm by a 35 xl ... Also I really like the Rodenstock 60 HR but apparently the image circle is limited ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, this is the answer I was dreaming to read ...

So I will buy a SWA and play with it before selling the TC (I have to sell some gear much before that one, but I don't like selling ...).

Many thanks !
    Don't sell your TC . You will regret that . I am sure .

Thank you for the info Eric !
    Btw, the funny thing is I was just looking to your sale of alpa lenses ... if I move to a SWA, I will have to replace my Alpar 35mm by a 35 xl ... Also I really like the Rodenstock 60 HR but apparently the image circle is limited ...
    Oliver , can you please tell me , why you have to replace your
    ALPAR 35mm . Sorry , I just don't understand that .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Don't sell your TC . You will regret that . I am sure .
    OK, I follow everyone's opinion, I won't sell it

Oliver , can you please tell me , why you have to replace your
    ALPAR 35mm . Sorry , I just don't understand that .
    Perhaps there are different versions of Alpa 35mm, mine is the ALPA AAA Apo Alpar 4.5/35 mm. I was told it is well adapted for digital until 33 Mpix, under the condition of using the center part of the circle, without movements.
    I have a 22 Mpix back for the time being, so if I can avoid to replace it, I will be happy !

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got the AAA 4,5/35mm , which is an APO-SIRONAR DIGITAL , adapted recently but have no results yet .
    If you want to sell that lens , you will find that it is very difficult to sell .
    So I decided to keep it and use it with my CFV-39 .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

I got the AAA 4,5/35mm , which is an APO-SIRONAR DIGITAL , adapted recently but have no results yet .
    If you want to sell that lens , you will find that it is very difficult to sell .
    So I decided to keep it and use it with my CFV-39 .
    The original lens is named "Digital", offers a wide image circle, but Alpa mentions on his site that it should be limited to 9 µm sensors.
    When I bought it, this is what I was told :
    - "very good results even with a 7.2 micron size pixel sensor AS LONG as you remain within the center of the immense image circle of this lens"
    - "if you would use the full image circle up to the max, in this case 9.0 micron size pixel would be even too small"
    I think Alpa has extremely high standards and want their customers to get the best and aren't disappointed.

For sure, with a TC and a 7.2 or 9µ back, the results are amazing (I used it with a Sinar 54 and a Leaf Aptus 75s).
    You use it with a 39 Mpix back.
    Max rise is 35 mm with that lens, but SWA rise is "limited" to 25 mm ...

My bet is then that it should remain very good in most cases with the SWA and a 22 Mpix back.

I don't know if the 35 xl with better specs delivers visible differences on a 22 Mpix back. This is very possible as the Rodenstock 60 HR, even if not comparable to the 35mm of course, seems to shine more.

OJO

I have 1 TC, 1 STC, 2 SWA, 1 MAX and 1 XY. My favorites among these are the SWA and the XY. I sold the TC and STC. I will consider selling the MAX and one of the SWA in the future. I will eventually get the FPS and keep the XY and one of the SWA.

Post Thanks / Like

"I have 1 TC, 1 STC, 2 SWA, 1 MAX and 1 XY ... "
    That's a lot of miles on you gold alpa-card !

" My favorites among these are the SWA and the XY. I sold the TC, STC and going to sell the MAX "
    What do you like so much in the SWA : the rise capability, the way you can hold it, the look, ... ?

The day you sell one of your SWA, if rosewood, don't forget to send me a pm ... I will buy one in January (last week I was fool enough to visit an art gallery and couldn't resist ... )

Thanks
    Oliver

OJO

OliverM,
    I find the SWA to have all the qualities you mentioned, but the really important element of the SWA that I appreciate is the balance of the camera in my hands whether I use it with a digital back or a filmback.

When my Alpa card hits the limit, I pull out my GetDPI card which has a higher limit for the Alpa lens, accessories and second copies of items you really like to back you up in the field.

Post Thanks / Like

OliverM
    As I said, there is an SWA demo unit with rosewood grips for sale right now at Profot Paris. Tell Olivier that DosSantos/Lemone sent you, he will give you a good deal!

Eric DosSantos

Post Thanks / Like

the really important element of the SWA that I appreciate is the balance of the camera in my hands

Hmm, one more point.

When my Alpa card hits the limit, I pull out my GetDPI card
    In France, casinos check your Id at the entrance, to avoid that black-listed people who got ruined in money games continue to loose. I wonder if GetDPI owners receive requests from photographers' wifes, asking to black-list their husband ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . . I wonder if GetDPI owners receive requests from photographers' wifes, asking to black-list their husband ...
    Psssst. You should not have mentioned that .
    If my wife reads your comment , I will surely be the first on that list .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Another addict here with TC, STC and Max. "different horses for different courses" etc. Not to mention the other cameras...

I love the TC as my lightweight walk around camera.
    The Max is for architectural and 4 way stitches, maximum quality/file size
    The STC is the one I take with me when I might do both - stitch and/or walk around, its small, does a good 2 way stitch (or 2 way rise/fall). Its what I took on a 3 week trip to New Zealand.

Yesterday the TC came out with me, 60mm Apo-Digaron-S (f4.0 very useful extra stop). And an Olympus VF1 finder, which matches the 60mm FOV very well. Alpa HPF ring and laser rangefinder. A nice light kit, and pretty rugged too. I use the Alpa single shot cable, so I don't need Zero latency, but that cable doesn't work as well as they claim IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear all,
    I received a SWA yesterday. Looks like the ideal camera for me (balance, easy to handle, rise, great feeling). Don't be surprised if you see a TC for sale in the coming weeks (and more, I think I need to buy some lenses ...).
    Many thanks for your help, it was not so easy for me to decide.
    Oliver
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great to see that you're set up with the SWA. Every time I see one I have an almost overwhelming lustful desire to buy one - thankfully so far common sense (and available funds) has stopped me ... So far!

From personal experience, don't rush in to selling the TC until you're really sure. I sold mine a while ago and ended up buying another several months later. Hmm, I did that with my P25+ and also Leica MP & M9 - ok, so maybe it's just me The worst thing is that I still would like another Max to replace the one I traded towards my STC.

Alpa - they're addictive.

Post Thanks / Like

With a TC + SWA + MAX, one could easily suspect that one or two bodies would collect dust somewhere. But that is definitely not the case. I use them all - all the time.
    I thought that the SWA would be used the least, a MAX for full movements for assigned architecture and a TC for minimalistic photowalks sounds the perfect match. However, I frequently use the SWA for easy urban photogrpahy, often with a 5mm rise as default. Brilliant tools and I would not want to get rid of any of them.....

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa - they're addictive.
    Getdpi is the Alpaholic Anonymous

New challenge for me : learn how to use the Alpa handheld for portraits with a low DOF. If it works, I could imagine to sell my contax (with some probability to buy one again 6 months later ...)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    With a TC + SWA + MAX, one could easily suspect that one or two bodies would collect dust somewhere. But that is definitely not the case. I use them all - all the time.
    I thought that the SWA would be used the least, a MAX for full movements for assigned architecture and a TC for minimalistic photowalks sounds the perfect match. However, I frequently use the SWA for easy urban photogrpahy, often with a 5mm rise as default. Brilliant tools and I would not want to get rid of any of them.....
    I will take some time before selling, as this is everyone's opinion here.
    Time will tell.
    Thanks a lot for the images you post here, beautiful and inspiring !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Getdpi is the Alpaholic Anonymous
    Hello, I'm Graham and I'm an Alpaholic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello, I'm Graham and I'm an Alpaholic.
    Hello , I'm Jürgen and I'm an Alpaholic too . But . . . I don't regret .
    No psychotherapy required .

Merry X-MAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to all getdpi members , and especially
    to all Alpaholics and Alpa lovers .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I like the word "Alpaholic ", hahaha...

www.raymondchak.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday the TC came out with me, 60mm Apo-Digaron-S (f4.0 very useful extra stop). And an Olympus VF1 finder, which matches the 60mm FOV very well. Alpa HPF ring and laser rangefinder. A nice light kit, and pretty rugged too. I use the Alpa single shot cable, so I don't need Zero latency, but that cable doesn't work as well as they claim IMHO.

Hi,

Narkin mentioned that the ALPA single shot cable does not work as stated,
    any body have similar experience. Should I shell out $1000.00 for this or not.
    Thanks,

R----

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rollei8is View Post
    Hi,

Narkin mentioned that the ALPA single shot cable does not work as stated,
    any body have similar experience. Should I shell out $1000.00 for this or not.
    Thanks,

R----
    Well, I've had both the KG and Alpa cable releases. The KG is sensitive to the speed that you press the release and there's a temptation to apply too much pressure during the press to ensure that the pulse triggers only once. If you do this then after a while the cheap cable release part will fail and you have to replace it.

With the Alpa the construction is superb but one thing I found was that they are sensitive to the direction of the actual release unit. When the unit is aligned so that the trigger cable is in front, vs at 90 degrees, to the shutter then it is 100% reliable in my experience. If you let it swivel to the side then it becomes more sensitive to double triggers to the back which I suspect is what Narkin is referring to. That's annoying because it'll cause a double trigger fault on the back and you have to cancel and re-shoot. This happens with the KG also if you aren't deliberately smooth in pressing the cable release too.

The advantage of the Alpa is that you can use it without the cable adapter and hence handheld shooting is possible.

Is the Alpa cable trigger worth nearly $1000? Not really but then again neither are 2x KG triggers after you've had one completely fail or fall to pieces. I do use mine most of the time but if I'm changing lenses a few times then I just go with zero latency and use a regular cable & sync cable. I have ten batteries so it's hardly a problem of not having power (it's funny how many you accumulate when you've upgraded backs a few times!).

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been staring at the FPS for the past few weeks trying to figure out this new addition to the tech cam world. I am still debating on what I would like to set my goals on but that being said, I have a few thoughts on this system. Please correct me if I am wrong. First of all, I have noticed that if you want to add the Alpa 12 lenses to it, there is no way to both tilt and rise or fall with the addition of an Alpa camera. You have to choose either tilt or rise and fall. My other observation is that if CMOS medium format comes out, this camera is in a perfect position to make a lot of people happy because with the loss of the copal shutter, it seems to be in a better position to accommodate live view. Am I wrong on this stuff?